Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Sutcliffe.

• 13-11-2020 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭

Dead according to RTE Radio.

That is all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not one tear will be shed.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Into a bag and off to landfill

End of his story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Good news for Friday 13th.

Rot in Hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Who?

Aka the Yorkshire Ripper. Murdered 13 women in in North of England in the late 70s.

• Advertisement

May he roast on a spit for all of eternity.

Didn't have a good time in prison. Justice of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Aka the Yorkshire Ripper. Murdered 13 women in in North of England in the late 70s.

https://pca.st/episode/01d8f370-7abe-0134-9030-3327a14bcdba

Well worth a listen. For this any many other topics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://pca.st/episode/01d8f370-7abe-0134-9030-3327a14bcdba

Well worth a listen. For this any many other topics

Complete and utter prick, pity he was ever born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Who?

Edgy.

Very edgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Had a heart attack 2 weeks ago. Was in a bad way. Caught Covid and died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

KevRossi wrote: »
    Edgy.

Very edgy.
    Not really
    The ripper case was in the early 1980s, it's a long time ago and Sutcliffe has barely been in the news since.
    So there are plenty here who would never have heard of him.

The Yorkshire Ripper Files: A Very British Crime Story was on BBC4 only a month or so ago. Fascinating insight into the crimes and the investigation ( and the egos)including the judgemental society where one cared about women being murdered (until a 'respectable' woman was murdered).

It is a fascinating watch.

Not really
    The ripper case was in the early 1980s, it's a long time ago and Sutcliffe has barely been in the news since.
    So there are plenty here who would never have heard of him.

But seriously, you'd stick Peter Sutcliffe into the Google search bar and press return quicker than asking a question here and expecting someone else to do it for you.

I was a child in the area when the ripper was active,
    I remember everyone being scared. I was very young but it was such a
    big thing.

anewme wrote: »
    But seriously, you'd stick Peter Sutcliffe into the Google search bar and press return quicker than asking a question here and someone else to do it for you.

My apologies, will Google instead for fear of upsetting yourself.

My apologies, will Google instead for fear of upsetting yourself.

Not upsetting at all. That's what Google is there for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

But seriously, you'd stick Peter Sutcliffe into the Google search bar and press return quicker than asking a question here and expecting someone else to do it for you.

Where?

Not upsetting at all, as someone else said, read as trying to be smart.

Well you must have misread then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

bubblypop wrote: »
    I was a child in the area when the ripper was active,
    I remember everyone being scared. I was very young but it was such a
    big thing.
    I lived in Manchester at the time,and everyone was terrified.
    I remember being home alone one day and phoning up the recording line which was supposedly the Ripper taunting the police.(it was a hoax) and scaring the bejaysus out of myself when he said he was coming down to Manchester next.

• Advertisement

Well you must have misread then.

Well, now you know who he is.

There are some recommendations in the thread if you want to find out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

We're all Gods children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

antodeco wrote: »
    Had a heart attack 2 weeks ago. Was in a bad way. Caught Covid and died.

Another positive outcome for the Chinese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

We are all made of stars

vandriver wrote: »
    I lived in Manchester at the time,and everyone was terrified.
    I remember being home alone one day and phoning up the recording line which was supposedly the Ripper taunting the police.(it was a hoax) and scaring the bejaysus out of myself when he said he was coming down to Manchester next.

Hoaxer was Wearside Jack- died last year as well.

Caught in 2005 or 2006 following advances in DNA many years later. Got 8 years for perverting the course of justice. In reality, he diverted the police investigation away from the crime scene and allowed the ripper free reign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Yorkshire Ripper Files: A Very British Crime Story was on BBC4 only a month or so ago. Fascinating insight into the crimes and the investigation ( and the egos)including the judgemental society where one cared about women being murdered (until a 'respectable' woman was murdered).

It is a fascinating watch.

Highly recommended, it's in three parts and covers all aspects of the the case very well. I'm not a fan of the current trend for crime docs to drag on needlessly over twenty episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

https://www.the-sun.com/news/196318/peter-sutcliffe-claims-tories-keep-him-in-jail-for-revenge-and-says-he-deserves-freedom-in-leaked-prison-recording/

The cheek of him, thinking that he could ever be released after killing so many women and trying to kill others.

Caught in 2005 or 2006 following advances in DNA many years later. Got 8 years for perverting the course of justice. In reality, he diverted the police investigation away from the crime scene and allowed the ripper free reign.

One of the main pieces of evidence in the case was a new £5 note found with the body of one of the victims.

The police did mammoth work and traced that £5 note back to a pay packet given to employees of a certain firm.

The police interviewed everyone at that firm, one of which was Sutcliffe, but ruled them all out because none had a Geordie accent.

The higher ups in police were so obsessed with this Wearside Jack that it allowed them to be blinded in their investigation.

The TV show mentioned earlier is very good and covered that very well.
    It's been on BBC Four a few times in the last few years, will likely be on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KevRossi wrote: »
    Edgy.

Very edgy.
    I don't think so. I'm not young and he went to jail before I was born, for murders committed in another country.

He's not exactly a household name, I wouldn't expect most people to have ever heard of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I remember when I was in first class, one of the tabloids ran a headline saying the The Yorkshire Ripper was coming to Ireland next - as if he was on a World Tour and was announcing locations and dates of his upcoming murders. One of the girls in my class was absolutely terrified. I remember trying to convince her that in order to actually know he was coming here, they’d have to know who he was, and then they’d be able to look out for him. Strange conversation that has stuck vividly in my head for about 40 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

RIP, why do the good always go so young ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Highly recommended, it's in three parts and covers all aspects of the the case very well. I'm not a fan of the current trend for crime docs to drag on needlessly over twenty episodes.

I agree. There was another three part documentary about Dr Shipman recently. It gave a very good account of his activities and indicated that he was up to his killing tricks as far back as his first assignment aftrr qualifying as a G.P.
    He came under suspicion for over use of morphine but the Medical Council allowed him to continue as a G.P. despite police objections

One of the main pieces of evidence in the case was a new £5 note found with the body of one of the victims.

Found by that cheeky chappie Les Battersby (to be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Edgware wrote: »
    We're all Gods children

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Edgware wrote: »
    We're all Gods children

You're the same poster, aren't you, who insisted the woman in the Dalkey abuse case was mad and a liar.

I can see a theme here.
    Chilling that guys like you are out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

They'll be celebrating in West Yorkshire tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I remember when I was in first class, one of the tabloids ran a headline saying the The Yorkshire Ripper was coming to Ireland next - as if he was on a World Tour and was announcing locations and dates of his upcoming murders. One of the girls in my class was absolutely terrified. I remember trying to convince her that in order to actually know he was coming here, they’d have to know who he was, and then they’d be able to look out for him. Strange conversation that has stuck vividly in my head for about 40 years.

So thats what they scaremongered over back then >?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Poor chap, much misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Old school serial killer

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Old school serial killer

What does a new school serial killer look like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Rip..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I see all the edgelords are up early today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Not according to one of Ireland's resident eejits, one Noel O'Gara. My only hope is that it doesn't bring this gob****e back into public prominence. (if he's still alive)

But he was a darling of Mick Clifford, media foghorn who, I think, still writes for the Examiner, so we could have a resurgence of his conspiracy theories yet.

(He basically claimed that the real Ripper was an Irishman, former employee of his and that Sutcliffe was a copy cat who was only responsible for three or four of the killings. And that there have been many more since Sutcliffe was banged up. He has zero credibility though)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think so. I'm not young and he went to jail before I was born, for murders committed in another country.

He's not exactly a household name, I wouldn't expect most people to have ever heard of him.

As murderers go he's pretty famous

Edit* May I also add to the sentiments on here, I hope he burns for an eternity in a pit of hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

gary550 wrote: »
    As murderers go he's pretty famous

Edit* May I also add to the sentiments on here, I hope he burns for an eternity in a pit of hell.
    If you're into reading about that kind of thing.

Honestly if the headlines this morning weren't accompanied with "Yorkshire Ripper", I'd assume Peter Sutcliffe was some former BBC presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Good riddance, burn in hell.

Glazers Out!

seamus wrote: »
    If you're into reading about that kind of thing.

Honestly if the headlines this morning weren't accompanied with "Yorkshire Ripper", I'd assume Peter Sutcliffe was some former BBC presenter.
    Yes The Yorkshire Ripper name is far more widely known than the name Peter Sutcliffe.

Hell some people even get him mixed up with early Beatles member Stuart Sutcliffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Dub Ste

I grew up in Leeds, and remember the fear and panic at the time.
    People were genuinely afraid to go out at night.

The relief when he was caught was unreal, it was as though they had caught the bogey man, and we could start to live normal lives again.

Was a very dark time, glad he's gone, but we must never forget those whose lives he so cruelly took....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, he really diverted attention away from Sutcliffe, until an FBI profiler told the police that he was not the killer, and got them back on the right track. There were so many paper filed created in the case that the room where they were stored had to be reinforced.

I remember being terrified he was in Ireland too. We were afraid to go out at night in case he was there. (by Tardis?)

Our parents slyly let us believe it so we would stay in and not do knick-knacks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement