Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas system boiler brand comparison

• 13-11-2020 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Looking to replace a 20yo lower efficiency gas system boiler with an A rated condensing unit but getting big enough swings in costs of different brands.

All are 30kW boilers installed with flush and magnetic filter :
    Glowworm - €1,850
    Intergas - €2,300
    Bosch - €2,500

Question was is there much of a difference in the quality/longevity comparing brands? Is Bosch worth the extra over a Glowworm.

Also manufacturers stated efficiency of the boilers, is there any real world difference? Glowworm comes in at about 90% and ranging to Bosch at about 93%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Type 901 wrote: »
    Looking to replace a 20yo lower efficiency gas system boiler with an A rated condensing unit but getting big enough swings in costs of different brands.

Glowworm - €1,850
    Intergas - €2,300
    Bosch - €2,500

Question was is there much of a difference in the quality/longevity comparing brands? Is Bosch worth the extra over a Glowworm.

Also manufacturers stated efficiency of the boilers, is there any real world difference? Glowworm comes in at about 90% and ranging to Bosch at about 93%

@30kw, I’m assuming you have a huge house! No, I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a Bosch. I’d go with Intergas there. Get a few quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Type 901

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    @30kw, I’m assuming you have a huge house! No, I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a Bosch. I’d go with Intergas there. Get a few quotes

Not huge, about 185m2 two storey detached but has 14 rads/towel racks which I think is driving the plumbers thinking of the 30kW need. Current boiler is a baxi 35/60 which I think is about 20kW. Higher number of rads are from couple extensions prior to my ownership, although relatively new house circa 2001.

Have got 4 quotes already (mix of supplier and local plumbers), one recommended glowworm but more expensive than quote above. Will look to get some more quotes and request for range of brands.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Not huge, about 185m2 two storey detached but has 14 rads/towel racks which I think is driving the plumbers thinking of the 30kW need. Current boiler is a baxi 35/60 which I think is about 20kW. Higher number of rads are from couple extensions prior to my ownership, although relatively new house circa 2001.

Have got 4 quotes already (mix of supplier and local plumbers), one recommended glowworm but more expensive than quote above. Will look to get some more quotes and request for range of brands.
    Has anyone done a heat loss calculations to work out what size is needed?

Btw is it a combi?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Bosch are better than both others. But that's high money.

Wearb wrote: »
    Has anyone done a heat loss calculations to work out what size is needed?

Btw is it a combi?

Wouldn't say so, has only been quick look at the rads/hot press/zone valves/boilers/etc to give the quote

Not a combi on the existing or new boiler

• Advertisement

Unless your builder forgot to install the windows then you don’t need a 30kw boiler. Unless it’s a combi we’re talking about

Unless your builder forgot to install the windows then you don’t need a 30kw boiler. Unless it’s a combi we’re talking about

No not a combi, quotes were for system boilers. Looks like I defo need to get some more quotes.

No not a combi, quotes were for system boilers. Looks like I defo need to get some more quotes.

18kw will do you I’d nearly bet.

18kw will do you I’d nearly bet.

I normally fit 24s. But even a 30kw Bosch can run at 7kw. So no disadvantage

Difference between a 18 and 24 is tiny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Glowworm - €1,850
    Intergas - €2,300
    Bosch - €2,500

In fairness none of those prices are off the wall if he is going to do a good & comprehensive installation. The Bosch is a good machine there is no doubt. They used to have a great parts and labour warranty - at one point I think it was 8 years. Worth a check.

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I normally fit 24s. But even a 30kw Bosch can run at 7kw. So no disadvantage

Difference between a 18 and 24 is tiny

Not when it comes to the existing gas pipe that’s there. A 30kw boiler firing to heat 14 rads is wasteful and uneconomical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had a glow worm and it was a disaster. Replaced it with a worcester bosch.

Not when it comes to the existing gas pipe that’s there. A 30kw boiler firing to heat 14 rads is wasteful and uneconomical

A Bosch fires on low and builds up to demand. That's how the modulation works on them. I'd prefer that to lads fitting 12 and 15s and there running full blast all the time to try heat the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

We’ve a Veissmann and it has been absolutely no nonsense, perfect reliability for the last 6 years.

A Bosch fires on low and builds up to demand. That's how the modulation works on them. I'd prefer that to lads fitting 12 and 15s and there running full blast all the time to try heat the house

Yes but you have to Commision them to fire at 30kw. How long before it ramps up to 30?

Over sizing boilers or under sizing can cause issues that are not there if a boiler is fitted to match the actual given demand.

Yes but you have to Commision them to fire at 30kw. How long before it ramps up to 30?

If the demand isnt there it won't ramp to 30kw it stays low.

Undersizing is a much worse issue than over. Over won't be a issue unless your fitting a 40kw in a tiny house.

Eg 30kw combi boiler running 4 rads.

You use the size with the combi and it tips away at a low level for the rads.

Sister lives in this house. Boiler has had zero issues in 9 years. Stays very clean inside.

Now a glowworm will fire at full and try ramp down. That won't do as well with oversize. But I don't fit them

Yes that’s grand but chances are, in the OPs house, and most houses I come across, there’s a1/2” gas supply going down into a concrete floor. There’s no way in hell that’s gonna be enough to feed an oversized 30kw boiler that needs to be commissioned at 30kw, regardless of what it normally works at.

Paid 2150 for a 15kw ideal logic with magnetic filter & the hive thing recently..... Was quoted 2400 for the same off a different crowd.

The folk I went with fitted it a week after I initially made contact so didn't shop around further as the existing boiler was 20 years old, needed repairs, was 'unsafe' and cold days looming.

It's been running away happily set to 'E' , haven't needed to turn it up.

Yes that’s grand but chances are, in the OPs house, and most houses I come across, there’s a1/2” gas supply going down into a concrete floor. There’s no way in hell that’s gonna be enough to feed an oversized 30kw boiler that needs to be commissioned at 30kw, regardless of what it normally works at.

Debate whether you'll have a 3/4 gas is different debate to what size boiler to fit.

Bosch is 3/4 connection on a 18kw so....

• Advertisement

Debate whether you'll have a 3/4 gas is different debate to what size boiler to fit.

Bosch is 3/4 connection on a 18kw so....

Well no. If I’ve a 1/2” gas supply that will suffice for an 18kw with 14 rads then I’ll fit that as opposed to a 30kw.
    Anyway, we both know every job, pipe run and boiler install has its own headaches.

Cheers for all the help and input here. Shopped around for some more quotes and have been quoted €2,050 for 24kW Bosch all in (usual flue, flush, magnetic filter) with 10 year parts and labour warranty. Seems to be the best price I've seen and decent saving over original quotes

Cheers for all the help and input here. Shopped around for some more quotes and have been quoted €2,050 for 24kW Bosch all in (usual flue, flush, magnetic filter) with 10 year parts and labour warranty. Seems to be the best price I've seen and decent saving over original quotes

Far far too cheap. I’d bet anything it’s a chemical flush and not a powerflush?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

That’s a good price. He would be buying that machine for about €1000 excl magnetic filter - so he should have enough to get a good job done if it’s a straightforward replacement.
    I would echo points raised by others on the importance of a clean system when fitting a new boiler. He really should be using a power flushing machine to flush the existing installation of any contaminants. The magnetic filter does a lot, but it’s not the be and end all.

Far far too cheap. I’d bet anything it’s a chemical flush and not a powerflush?

Yes just chemical flush, all seem to just be recommending this. Asked one about a power flush but didn't think it would be worth while given age of system, less than 20 years, and no issues with rads heating.

Next cheapest for bosch was €2300. Then €2000 for ideal logic and €2500 for Viessmann Vitodens

Yes just chemical flush, all seem to just be recommending this. Asked one about a power flush but didn't think it would be worth while given age of system, less than 20 years, and no issues with rads heating.

Next cheapest for bosch was €2300. Then €2000 for ideal logic and €2500 for Viessmann Vitodens

It’s a waste of money paying for a chemical flush. It’s a lazy and completely ineffective way of cleaning a heating system. Why spend money on such an expensive boiler and then go fill it with dirty water. It doesn’t make sense.
    I would avoid any installer that offers a chemical flush.

It’s a waste of money paying for a chemical flush. It’s a lazy and completely ineffective way of cleaning a heating system. Why spend money on such an expensive boiler and then go fill it with dirty water. It doesn’t make sense.
    I would avoid any installer that offers a chemical flush.

Definitely makes sense Dtp, just need to find a RGI who does it as part of an normal install in the north Dublin region. Most it seems to be an extra and prices online about 650ish on top. If anyone has recommendations of installer please PM

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

Hi Type 901, what was the finall price and Make/Model you got installed. Are you happy with it? Thanks

Final price from 2 years ago is vastly different to todays prices. You could add 500-700 to the above prices

• Advertisement

My Vitodens - 100w developed fault second time in 7 years. Contacted Viessmann via email, hopefully they will come back and recommend somebody in a North East to fix it.

Did anybody come across boiler breakdowns caused by water quality around Dundalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have an intergas combi installed 4yrs ago and at the time I was looking a couple of the installers who quoted swore by them for reliability.

It's never given me a spot of bother.

I would go with Intergas or Atag. Looks like nobody installing Intergas in my area. Emailed Atag installer, waiting for reply.

ATAG has authorized installer in Belfast. Got details from the main office in UK. Company from Monaghan is not installing them anymore. Looks like nobody looking after Intergas in Leinster either.

Joule look after Intergas I think. They’re in meath

Nothing stating this on there website. Contacted one of the engineers promoting Intergas via Linkedin - no response. Best value I got from a local Ariston Installer. But after fixing 7 year old vitodens 100w will try to get few more years from Viessmann.

• Advertisement
Advertisement