Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

derogatory coworkers

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭chris525

That's very very narrow minded and self centered. You moved to another country, stop being so ignorant and selfish.

Chris, very blunt here but you my friend, are the problem.

As I said, I didn't want to move here. I have tried to get to know people but then when they find out that I'm not from here they treat me differently. I don't like it.

Tork wrote: »
    Good point. Unless people are upsetting her over Zoom as well? :pac:

Yes, they used a Zoom call to air their political views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

In fairness you'd be surprised what sort of mad stuff gets classed as essential. + any IT support for anything essential is also essential

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

chris525 wrote: »
    I wanted to when I first started working with them. I noticed over time that it wasn't going to happen but yet the fake attempts at nationally-based humour continued.

What do you mean by the last line?

Overtime, it would have become obvious that you have no common ground with your colleagues though, no? That's why a friendship didn't develop?

My father in law isn't Irish, he meets up with people from his country here (non EU too). Could you look online and see if there are groups from where you're from who meet up? It might help you feel less homesick and would enable you to talk to people you have some familiarity with?

I think your co-workers will know what you do for a living..

Yes, but they don't talk shop about new technology advances etc. No wonder the company is such a dinosaur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

It’s remarkable that, as someone who moved here against your will it seems, and who has a major problem with Irish points of view, you were rather concerned about anti Irish racism and inward migration.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111655205&postcount=1344

What do you mean by the last line?

Overtime, it would have become obvious that you have no common ground with your colleagues though, no? That's why a friendship didn't develop?

My father in law isn't Irish, he meets up with people from his country here (non EU too). Could you look online and see if there are groups from where you're from who meet up? It might help you feel less homesick and would enable you to talk to people you have some familiarity with?

You're dead right there is no common ground. Therefore no friendships emerged. Same with my in-laws. I'm a very career-oriented person and I'm really ambitious. People who are not may not get me.

I have tried to find things to do but most are in Dublin. People from my country are not very social and they have not had any meetups. I guess I could try a neighbouring country.

440Hertz wrote: »
    It’s remarkable that, as someone who moved here against your will it seems, and who has a major problem with Irish points of view, you were rather concerned about anti Irish racism and inward migration.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111655205&postcount=1344

It's more of anti-white racism that concerns me but I use nationality to cover that up.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Might want to tell those devout christians that brought syphilis into south america a couple hundred years ago and wiped a fair few of them out

All in gods name of course

And all the HIV today is? Just people messing with random strangers in the pub in the name of what? Atheism?

Anyways, I will not allow the thread to become a theism vs atheism debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

How many white people does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    All of us
    One to hold the bulb and the rest to screw the world

ha ha ha ha.. ok you got me I'm in the drama now, I couldn't resist

The views aren't what matter, no one came to this forum to have a silly debate about this stuff, it's completely besides the point

• Advertisement

As I said, I didn't want to move here. I have tried to get to know people but then when they find out that I'm not from here they treat me differently. I don't like it.

Regardless, you are here. Your the one that's lonely and on the outside. Look at the comments you have made in this thread, you are actually alienating random people on the net with your posts.

Myself and you could be great friends bit you went know because you show no interest in getting to know anything about me, my culture, family or interests. Instead you moan that I haven't made a big enough effort to get to know you and your culture.

Fyi, I get along with my colleagues. I have a close group of friends but am always happy to make more. While I'm not always comfortable with new people, im happy to try. I love travel, I love learning about people, countries and cultures.

I lived abroad and found it tough at the start but I joined clubs, took an interest in the area, the culture and the sports.

You need to make an effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

OK but what about non-Catholic Christianity?
    Why not some people spend some time learning about my culture?

Evangelical Christianity? Apologies if I'm mistaken.
    But whichever flavour it is, tell us a little.

Regardless, you are here. Your the one that's lonely and on the outside. Look at the comments you have made in this thread, you are actually alienating random people on the net with your posts.

Myself and you could be great friends bit you went know because you show no interest in getting to know anything about me, my culture, family or interests. Instead you moan that I haven't made a big enough effort to get to know you and your culture.

Fyi, I get along with my colleagues. I have a close group of friends but am always happy to make more. While I'm not always comfortable with new people, im happy to try. I love travel, I love learning about people, countries and cultures.

I lived abroad and found it tough at the start but I joined clubs, took an interest in the area, the culture and the sports.

You need to make an effort.

Kind of hard when you have 2 young kids at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This is a wind up thread. If you read “Chris” post history that becomes clear.

Still - entertaining read

banie01 wrote: »
    Evangelical Christianity? Apologies if I'm mistaken.
    But whichever flavour it is, tell us a little.

I get that you might not be pleased with the Catholic church due to some events but do Irish people feel that way about all Christian churches? You hate the Methodist church too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

And nobody else has stuff going on in the background either right? Your problems are special and unique and people should chase after to you to be your friend or else they're just mean nasty people. I mean what about me?

Ah enough now. I have 3 kids. I was a father at 20. Then I married and had 2 more. My wife moved to Ireland for work purposes. Then we lived in her home country for a few years. My life is an open book.

Your offering excuses for everything. You are not special. You are not unique. You are in the same situation as all parents, all workers, all expats, all working expat parents even.

You are the issue. You are the problem and now I no longer wish to engage with you or learn about you.

This is a wind up thread. If you read “Chris” post history that becomes clear.

Still - entertaining read

He/she has range. lol

And nobody else has stuff going on in the background either right? Your problems are special and unique and people should chase after to you to be your friend or else they're just mean nasty people. I mean what about me?

No, I don't expect people to chase after me. I don't get out much to make new friends because I work and have kids.

But when I go to work I expect people to piss off about their politics.

If they have stuff going on then maybe they should tell me?

• Advertisement

Ah enough now. I have 3 kids. I was a father at 20. Then I married and had 2 more. My wife moved to Ireland for work purposes. Then we lived in her home country for a few years. My life is an open book.

Your offering excuses for everything. You are not special. You are not unique. You are in the same situation as all parents, all workers, all expats, all working expat parents even.

You are the issue. You are the problem and now I no longer wish to engage with you or learn about you.

who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

If you are a decent person then you will care about people's feelings. My god you would have to be an asshole.

Yet, you said you don't want to be friends with your coworkers and would throw them under a bus! Why should they care about you when you don't care about them?

I get that you might not be pleased with the Catholic church due to some events but do Irish people feel that way about all Christian churches? You hate the Methodist church too?

I have no issues with any churches TBH. I'm not religious myself but am happy to discuss and learn all aspects of religion.
    It's a hobby of mine tbh, my father in law is a Baptist and is quite a great debater.
    He is a creationist and is one of the sharpest people I know. Actually has me subscribed to creation magazine and one of our most recent conflabs was actually regarding bee flight.
    The aerodynamic performance of turbulent boundary layer air in allowing flight for bees versus intelligent design.

Would I be right in my terrible stereotyping thought that you are west African?

If they have stuff going on then maybe they should tell me?

Sir yes Sir!

banie01 wrote: »
    I have no issues with any churches TBH. I'm not religious myself but am happy to discuss and learn all aspects of religion.
    It's a hobby of mine tbh, my father in law is a Baptist and is quite a great debater.
    He is a creationist and is one of the sharpest people I know. Actually has me subscribed to creation magazine and one of our most recent conflabs was actually regarding bee flight.
    The aerodynamic performance of turbulent boundary layer air in allowing flight for bees versus intelligent design.

Would I be right in my terrible stereotyping thought that you are west African?

Nope. I'm no African and I won't tell anyone where I'm from because I'd rather not discuss it.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yet, you said you don't want to be friends with your coworkers and would throw them under a bus! Why should they care about you when you don't care about them?

I originally did care about them but as time when on it became apparent that no friendships were going to form and they don't care about my feelings.

The workplace is no place for friends. If someone isn't performing well then you will tell your manager no matter how good of a 'friend' they were.

Nope. I'm no African and I won't tell anyone where I'm from because I'd rather not discuss it.

I'm confused?
    You either want to discuss
    My own country, my own family, and my own culture.

What I do for a living and travel.

or you don't?
    Yet when asked about any of it, you don't want to discuss it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Chris525, I can hardly ask people to follow the Charter and offer you advice, when you've had 7 pages of well intentioned advice but you have countered all of it. You may feel there is good cause for that, but if it is the case then the forum stops being of help to you.

I really don't think PI can offer you the resolution you are after, I think it is a much wider issue and for that reason, I am going to close this thread here. I would suggest that you think again about seeking professional help. There is a thread here that gives helpful suggestions on how to find a counsellor.

Thanks to all who offered help and advice.

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement