Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Shed on Front Lawn - Permission

Options
  • 13-11-2020 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I have a Trimetals bike store in the back garden for my Good bikes, but Im looking put a wooden bike store at the front of the house for kids and day bikes.

It would be inside the front garden wall on whats currently a lawn area

somethink like this

https://www.timbertrove.com/bike-storage-shed-sloped-roof-2956-p.asp

its Approx. 2.1m (7ft) wide x 1.7m (5ft 6") high x 1m (3ft 3") deep.

My question is do I need planning permission for this ?....

It not that big so i think not ?.

Dlrcoco want 80Euro to answer a query I sent them ?

Many thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

You'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭blackbox

cletus wrote: »
    You'll be fine

...as long as you don't look for planning permission and are prepared to remove it if anyone complains.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

To give you an accurate answer that you can do with as you please...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#sched2

Scroll down to "Class 3" - "The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any tent, awning, shade or other object, greenhouse, garage, store, shed or other similar structure."

The important bit is the very first point 1. "No such structure shall be constructed, erected or placed forward of the front wall of a house."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, you need planning permission for any shed or storage that you want to place at the front of your house.

I very much doubt that most people bother, but it would depend on your neighbours. If the store is going to be behind trees or a high wall, or otherwise won't be something very visible to the rest of the world, then I'd be inclined to just do it. You can always apply for rentention if someone complains.

If you're like me and a bike store in your front garden would stick out like a thumb, then you're probably better off applying for PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

blackbox wrote: »
    ...as long as you don't look for planning permission and are prepared to remove it if anyone complains.
    Theres no enforcement of anything like that in this country...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Thargor wrote: »

While it's rare it's not unheard of:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/council-takes-legal-advice-as-deadline-to-demolish-co-meath-house-passes-1.3532240

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Thargor wrote: »

Disagree. Friend of mine put two bike lockers in front garden to hold his kids bikes and his neighbour forced him to either remove it or apply for planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, you need planning permission for any shed or storage that you want to place at the front of your house

Not if you put a small axle with small wheels ;) on to
    It.

Realistically you’ll be grand. It’s a low roof

letape wrote: »
    Disagree. Friend of mine put two bike lockers in front garden to hold his kids bikes and his neighbour forced him to either remove it or apply for planning permission.

How exactly did his neighbour force him? Threaten to punch him. Only the courts can force you.

OP if you look up the council plan you could argue it’s in compliance.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/dlr_standards_for_cycle_parking.pdf
    Section 2 first point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

ted1 wrote: »
    How exactly did his neighbour force him? Threaten to punch him. Only the courts can force you.

Not a good use of words maybe. Made it clear that he needed planning permission and notified the council.

• Advertisement

letape wrote: »
    Not a good use of words maybe. Made it clear that he needed planning permission and notified the council.

That’s not forcing. That bending over and taking it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

Sometimes people are dickheads. Unfortunately, I live next door to similar.

Reality is, very few people are going to complain about the type of shed op is talking about. If they've been in their house for any length of time, they'll have an idea about what the neighbours are like

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The shed linked by the OP looks a bit like the ones used by some owners of terraced houses to contain their wheelie bins. While technically these all require planning permission, I'd be surprised if any owners have applied for permission and astonished if any Local Authority ever took enforcement proceedings against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The shed linked by the OP looks a bit like the ones used by some owners of terraced houses to contain their wheelie bins. While technically these all require planning permission, I'd be surprised if any owners have applied for permission and astonished if any Local Authority ever took enforcement proceedings against them.
    The bike shed in the link is 1.7 meters tall - just below the height of an average person. The average wheelie bin is 1.1 meters tall and their sheds a few cm's higher. Visually, that a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The bike shed in the link is 1.7 meters tall - just below the height of an average person. The average wheelie bin is 1.1 meters tall and their sheds a few cm's higher. Visually, that a huge difference.

Maybe so though some of the companies doing bin stores do very similar bike stores too. Either way, both are subject to the same planning regulations and, IMHO, very unlikely to be the subject of enforcement proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yet still all these years later the house is still standing and occupied last I heard.

OP if you have a side entrance you could look at building an enclosed walkway it would be less obvious and works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ted1 wrote: »
    Not if you put a small axle with small wheels ;) on to It.
    You know, that's actually not a terrible idea. If you could get someone to custom build you a low covered trailer with a bike rack in it, then any time you want a family day out on the bikes, you just hitch it to your car and off you go.
    The rest of the time it's your bike shed.

And afaik, there's no limit on how long you can keep a trailer in your front garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Yazzar

Many Thanks everyone for the responses, Im had a chat with the provider and I'm taking about a foot of the height of the bike store which will mean its sits better behind the trees at the front wall. Im not expecting much if any pushback from neighbours but who know....

Advertisement