Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire strainer

Options
  • 13-11-2020 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

Hayes or strainrite lads I've a Chinese one here waste of good money so going buying a right one today

Comments

I've two strainrites here, they're good tools. Hayes is supposed to be the best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Hayes here - couldn't fault it or couldn't be without it now

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Hayes here. Great job.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Have a Hayes here going on 25 years, would'nt go fencing without it, our one was 120 pounds in the late 90's, i remember because my father gave out for a full half hour at the price of it!
    Buy it once and you'll have it for a lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Johnnystephens

As all the above Hayes, I have them 30 years , you can't go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Have a Hayes and a strainrite. Can't fault either.
    If going with the strainrite get the contractor version. The removable handle is handy at times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Have a Hayes here going on 25 years, would'nt go fencing without it, our one was 120 pounds in the late 90's, i remember because my father gave out for a full half hour at the price of it!

Provided you don't lose it - as I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Hayes here as well since the 90’s, I don’t remember the price I didn’t think they were that dear. They are around the €160 mark now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Good loser wrote: »
    Provided you don't lose it - as I have!

Username lol

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

Hayes strainer here, got many years ago. Could not fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Bought the hayes one at dan mc inerneys ennis on yesterday for 140 wont have it in till Tuesday tho said he cant keep them stocked btw do ye take the spring out of yer ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

lab man wrote: »
    Bought the hayes one at dan mc inerneys ennis on yesterday for 140 wont have it in till Tuesday tho said he cant keep them stocked btw do ye take the spring out of yer ones

I lost the spring out of my one years ago, keep them it it if you can as sometimes the chain will twist and you'll need to untwist it for the chain to latch, it's a lot harder to do with no spring as you'd need about 3 hands.

Throw a shot of oil on the pivots once in a while, lifetime job.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Have a good bit of fencing - single strand electric - to do and thinking of getting a Hayes strainer. Would have used the ratchet wheel tensioners tied to a straining post before - handy thing with those was could retighten wire if anything loosened a bit later. Just wondering how can you retighten if you’ve used a Hayes strainer and tied off at an egg on straining post?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Acquiescence

Just wondering how can you retighten if you’ve used a Hayes strainer and tied off at an egg on straining post?

pel-inline-wire-tensioner.jpeg

Inline wire tensioner?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just wondering how can you retighten if you’ve used a Hayes strainer and tied off at an egg on straining post?

Or use the Hayes strainers again, cut the wire when the slack is taken out and fit a Gripple.

I’m sure this is a very stupid question but just starting out with a Hayes strainer and wondering how you guys anchor the strainer to an end post if you are straining at the end of a run? I can see online how it works when puller joined to a wire at both ends but not sure best way if a post is at one end. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

I've a short chain with a D shackle bolt it to the hayes chain throw it over the straining post

I’m sure this is a very stupid question but just starting out with a Hayes strainer and wondering how you guys anchor the strainer to an end post if you are straining at the end of a run? I can see online how it works when puller joined to a wire at both ends but not sure best way if a post is at one end. Thanks

Got rope before that was described as "yacht rope", I use that, it's quick, strong, and light. It has a core inside it so not like blue braided rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

Can you get behind the post that you want to strain to. Sometimes you can get the tractor behind the post, or is there a tree or something behind the post. Then it's easier to staple straight onto the strainer post.

Thanks. Might be able to strain to something behind the post sometimes but not always. Sounds like the short chain with the shackle could be handy for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Has your Hayes strainer not got a"hook" on the end of the chain?
    One that let's you loop the chain around the end post and hook onto itself?
    Then just hold the end of the wire in the gripper on the hand piece, and walk it towards the end post and staple it.
    Might take a few tries toget the hand piece as close as possible to the end post when the correct tension is reached.
    Have a look for Tim Thompson Fencing on YouTube.

If your Hayes chain has no hook on the end, consider buying a ten foot lenght with the same size links, and fitting a cast hook to the end. Very handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭893bet

Photo from earlier. Like some one mentioned, Hook on end of chain.
    92320-E8-E-8767-413-B-BCD3-6742-D07-F2-C69.jpg

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Has your Hayes strainer not got a"hook" on the end of the chain?
    One that let's you loop the chain around the end post and hook onto itself?
    Then just hold the end of the wire in the gripper on the hand piece, and walk it towards the end post and staple it.
    Might take a few tries toget the hand piece as close as possible to the end post when the correct tension is reached.
    Have a look for Tim Thompson Fencing on YouTube.

If your Hayes chain has no hook on the end, consider buying a ten foot lenght with the same size links, and fitting a cast hook to the end. Very handy to have.

Thanks for that. No - no hook on the end of the chain that came with it. Just looked online now and while the Hayes is “available” with anchor chain hook it doesn’t seem to come as standard. While the cheaper copies online seem to all have hooks. Poor enough if that’s the case considering the price of the Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭893bet

That’s a cheaper version in my picture. 25 quid on amazon.

Great job but who knows how long it will last as it’s not done too much work yet. I am only getting the hang of using it and have finally figured out how to properly walk it backwards on the chain after tying off. Places are swimming. Had track machine in last week mulching off briars and ditches for a full refence.

00-B7-C9-DF-5-E44-4-A2-C-9452-0-A9-E859-CFE81.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

Thanks for that. No - no hook on the end of the chain that came with it. Just looked online now and while the Hayes is “available” with anchor chain hook it doesn’t seem to come as standard. While the cheaper copies online seem to all have hooks. Poor enough if that’s the case considering the price of the Hayes.
    Cheque out Utube lots of tips and tricks on there.
    Hayes really good strainers. Do not lend as won't come back.

Advertisement