Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir order for FTTH

• 13-11-2020 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I have ordered FTTH but need to get clarification on options for entry/drilling point to house, location of fibre termination unit etc. The KN guy that turned up on install date indicated that this should have been clarified by Eir or via a site survey and told me to get back to Eir. Impossible to reach Eir, on hold for hours without success. Very frustrating. Any similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

2 hours on hold this morning. Giving up on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

EIR are useless and will break your heart, you got a good taste this morning.

KN is the installer and should make the route inwards. What would thry expect EIR who may never have been to the property to say

Do you have an existing phone line in from a pole?
    You'll have to be able to get their cable at least to their junction box on the side of the house.

If no phone line youll have to figure a conduit/duct from outside to a place on the inside

Yep, not encouraging do far. There is a box at side if house where the old copper phone line came in. I assume that the fibre can be pulled through ducting here. My question is, if the fibre has to come into house at this location or if I can select a different entry point at a more suitable central location in the house?
    The KN guy was not clear in this about this, but did say that entry via attic is not possible due to health and safety issues even if attic is converted.

We have a duct from pole outside to side of house and he ran the cable in to there using a cable snake.
    Once that far could drill from inner leaf to fish the cable and pull it inside. So our router is in the front sitting room downstairs. To push the WiFi around the house we use Netgear Orbi and have no issues anywhere (lookup mesh WiFi, there are loads and some really good ones).
    Attic and heights is a no no for them (in cases they fall through the ceiling) so you would have to figure out that bit, is there existing cables running in there?

Thanks, I have existing VM router in attic office, with coax and copper run up from box at side of house. I suppose I could run UTP up myself from new router to attic but this is messy. The default entry point is to room in corner of house with concrete walls so not great. However, if I have to use this I can try one of the mesh solutions to extend the wifi. I heard good reports on the Google mesh soln too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Google Mesh doesn't support VLAN tagging, don't think it is great choice for FTTH.

patob wrote: »
    Thanks, I have existing VM router in attic office, with coax and copper run up from box at side of house. I suppose I could run UTP up myself from new router to attic but this is messy. The default entry point is to room in corner of house with concrete walls so not great. However, if I have to use this I can try one of the mesh solutions to extend the wifi. I heard good reports on the Google mesh soln too.

What have you connected to that VM box? Office laptop/pc? Where is everything else? Downstairs and WiFi I guess?

I would go for a good mesh system and if you need then a powerline adapter to run the signal from the new box downstairs to the attic.

Alternatively if you can get a run for the fibre cable into the attic and pull enough of it the engineer might,if you talk nice, to him terminate it in the attic which I presume isn't an attic but a converted office space
    I would

Yes, a good bit of kit connected to VM router in attic office. Have UTP to extra wireless router on 1st floor to extend coverage, also use a power line extender for ground floor.
    Will suggest to KN guy to let me run the fibre to the attic hub as you suggest, other wise will look at mesh solution.

Advertisement