Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting pregnant despite awful HSE, mortgage and global outlook

Options
  • 13-11-2020 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello,

I want to have a baby soon. I'm just turned 30 and been with my partner for a very long time (10+ years). My body is telling me that I should do this, it's the right time and to wait will be difficult. My partner will support me through this and will make a superb father.

However I'm afraid because the world is a terrible place and it seems like it's getting worse. We don't know what the hell kind of place it will be two decades from now. We want to get a mortgage and can easily afford this, but banks look less favourably on parents.

Also and most critically, the experiences I've had with the health services here have been just awful. If there were any complications, which there well could be, I would have no faith at all in the HSE to save me and my baby. I know two women who died in childbirth and of my own family members, myself and two of my four siblings are suffering from the result of medical negligence in our care after birth.

Any reassurances or affirmations of my sentiments welcome, I'm just kind of thinking out loud and would love to hear the opinions of other people who have different experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Voltairey wrote: »
    However I'm afraid because the world is a terrible place and it seems like it's getting worse. We don't know what the hell kind of place it will be two decades from now.

This statement is false.

Living standards have dramatically improved.

Also and most critically, the experiences I've had with the health services here have been just awful. If there were any complications, which there well could be, I would have no faith at all in the HSE to save me and my baby. I know two women who died in childbirth and of my own family members, myself and two of my four siblings are suffering from the result of medical negligence in our care after birth.

No need to worry, Ireland is a very safe place to have a baby.

Here is the CSO data on Infant Mortality, Stillbirths and Maternal Mortality 2018

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-vsar/vitalstatisticsannualreport2018/infantmortalitystillbirthsandmaternalmortality2018/

Look at Fig 4.2, great news, great improvements.

Maternal deaths are very rare.

See Fig 4.4., and table 4.19

2018 = none

2017 = 1

2016 = 4

2015 = 1

2014 = 1

Bear in mind that is 1 death out of maybe 70,000 births.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Absolutely, the notion that this is an unsafe place to have a baby is completely wrong.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_maternal_mortality_ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

Hello,

I want to have a baby soon. I'm just turned 30 and been with my partner for a very long time (10+ years). My body is telling me that I should do this, it's the right time and to wait will be difficult. My partner will support me through this and will make a superb father.

However I'm afraid because the world is a terrible place and it seems like it's getting worse. We don't know what the hell kind of place it will be two decades from now. We want to get a mortgage and can easily afford this, but banks look less favourably on parents.

Any reassurances or affirmations of my sentiments welcome, I'm just kind of thinking out loud and would love to hear the opinions of other people who have different experiences.
    With regard to re-assurances, the reality is unless the country turns into a war zone or the end of the world starts happening, it's almost a certainty everything will be fine and in line with the normality we now live in.

Don't worry, get riding, and get on with life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueskys

If your body is telling you its time, its time. Forget about external events, they will come and go. There is no better time in history to be a young person than now, trust me.

We want to get a mortgage and can easily afford this, but banks look less favourably on parents.

Most of your statements are false, so no need to worry.

But this statement is true, yes, the presence of children may reduce the amount you can borrow.

On the other hand, two parents means possibly two earners, so you could earn more than a single applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Yes, you're right OP. Just look at your mother, grand mother and great grand mother, life was a doddle for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 omegaodie

Look having kids is always terrifying and the world will never be perfect and you and your fella will never be ready. Tiny little bundles hit like cannonballs, and going from trying to holding a child is a lot tougher than most people expect, because things can go wrong and sometimes it can be brutal. Your child/ren end up becoming your future, without them there is nothing and that's terrifying too. If it weren't for the fact that they are the most wonderful little bastards and how amazing it is to see them develop and grow and learn I'd say anyone who tries it is mad.#
    tldr;
    there is never a right time, and there is no rule book or check list all you got is your gut, if it says go for it, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

If you are going to wait till everything is perfect to have a baby you will be waiting a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

I think its your own mental state that's giving trouble and less outside factors

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Where are you based? TBH, there's a lot of places I wouldn't want to have a baby, but you'd be grand in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Brandon75

When is the best age to have a child as I know the older woman get the less likely it will happen but have heard men over 30 have higher levels of DNA fragmentation which has anecdotally been linked to increase risk of autism and schizophrenia.” So, the perfect age for a man to have a baby is somewhere around 30.

My partner is 26 and I'm 29 I would be happy to wait 2 or 3 years. But if she becomes pregnant before then I have no problem with that aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Voltairey

A lot to unpack here.

Many posters have said that it's my own mental state and not the real world factors that are stopping me.

One said (possibly sarcastic) that my mother, grandmother and great grandmother had a fine time of it. I'm not sure about great grandmother, but my grandmother lost two children who died upon delivery. She was left with scarring which left her with lifelong physically impairments. My mother, as I said already, had two children who suffered complications, one during birth and myself shortly after I was born. My sisters both have children with medical issues, one with a heart defect and one who has a minor brain injury due to a traumatic delivery.

I'm not even going to go in to our current health system and how badly it operates, low infant mortality rate notwithstanding. We are fairly far from the top of this list: https://www.infoplease.com/world/health-statistics/infant-mortality-rates-countries

And if you get sick here and need care, forget about it, especially now. I take some solace in the low mortality rate during pregnancy but the PTSD in some of my friends who have had a child is very real. It's something I'll just have to get over if I'm to go through with the birth and I have no issues with that, but to say that it's a walk in the park is untrue.

More than one in every twenty children in Ireland has a disability. I work with special needs children and can tell you first hand that they are treated shamefully by the state. Even if you have unlimited money, accessing services is near impossible.

The world as it currently is cannot be said to be a good one to have children is. Famine, economic distress and low standards of living in will be a common issue in the next several decades.
    https://www.un.org/press/en/2020/sgsm20098.doc.htm

Land is being lost to global temperature increases causing rising tides. The list goes on.

We would have so much love to give a child, but some of the time I think that it's cruel to bring a person into the world. Yeah it's an unpopular opinion, but it's something that clouds my decision to just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

'...We are fairly far from the top of this list: https://www.infoplease...lity-rates-countries....'

The top of this list is not where any country wants to be.
    We are below the EU average and down the other end of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

More than one in every twenty children in Ireland has a disability.

That is totally false. According to the 2016 Census, about 59000 out of a million aged 0-14 had a disability and that probably includes very minor issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Voltairey

crossman47 wrote: »
    That is totally false. According to the 2016 Census, about 59000 out of a million aged 0-14 had a disability and that probably includes very minor issues.
    See the image in the document I attached

Taken from this
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.drugs.ie/resourcesfiles/ResearchDocs/Ireland/2015/StateOftehNationsChildren2014.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjgrvPR1f_sAhW5aRUIHQLHBAUQFjAEegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3xPLipJKn5kAdnNSVERYfF
    P 55

More than one in every twenty children in Ireland has a disability. I work with special needs children and can tell you first hand that they are treated shamefully by the state. Even if you have unlimited money, accessing services is near impossible.

That is mostly got to do with family history or if the mother is on drugs . odds of having a baby with a disability is very slim if there is no gene from either sides family.

My mother like most around her time lost 1 or 2 babys it's just one of those awful things that can happen. Luckily she tried again if she didn't I wouldn't be here I was born premature but turned out grand didnt stop me growing to 6ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ireland is a great place to live, age place to have a baby and raise children.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Is there any definition or threshold of how serious a problem needs to be before it counds as a disability. I mean is dyslexia counted in the same way as a child needing 24 hour care for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Like many have said, there's never a good time to have a baby if that's what you are holding out for. You work with what you have, none of us know what kind of world we will be living in in 5, 10, 20 years time so there's no point thinking about that.

Having a baby was the best thing that ever happened to me, and that's coming from someone who never had any interest in having kids before it happened.
    At times it can be hard, in many different way but the positives outweigh any negatives by a lot for me.

I won't lie, the birth wasn't great. My girlfriend had a tough time, we had a big scare and thought we might lose the baby after delivery, luckily it all worked out and he is fine now. This happened in one of the top maternity hospitals in Dublin, these things just happen sometimes, I don't think it was the staffs fault, some things are just out of your control. Although there was certain things leading up to the birth we felt they could have dealt with better.

If you're looking for someone to tell you you have nothing to worry about and everything will go great,youre just not going to get that because nobody can guarantee you what will happen but the most likely scenario is that everything will be ok in the end even if there's is little scares along the way. Its really up to you and how much you want it. For me I think its the best thing ever and I love every minute of being a parent. Even through the lack of sleep.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Sure there's always something dramatic going on in the world. War, famine, genocides. in the 80s it was the hole in the ozone layer, aids etc. No one would ever have had kids if everyone thought the way you do. Just get on with it. It will be grand. Or don't. Up to you. But not having kids that you desperately want because of world events outside of your control is a bit ridiculous really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

You ask for reassurances and affirmations and yet actively foist away all positive offerings.
    Humans were having babies back when Chernobyl was blowing up, back when Nuclear War seemed daily imminent, back when the world was in conflagrations. Believe it or not there has always been some frenzy to which one is invited to subscribe.

There is this very strong political motif abroad in the world these days of environmental doom, future chaos and trendy anti-natalism. Do not be fooled by these very powerful lobbies who make their money peddling gobshytery. The world will go on, the rich will get richer, people will lie to be famous, the mountains will stand. The zeitgeist is very reminiscent of apocalyptic millenarianism which has been around since forever. It is the new religion. The end is nigh. The messiah is on his way. Castrate yourself. Woe onto all of us.

If you want, have a baby. And be careful about believing everything you hear..or think. Teach the baby to grow up hopeful, happy, rational and resilient.

Real Life wrote: »
    Like many have said, there's never a good time to have a baby if that's what you are holding out for. You work with what you have, none of us know what kind of world we will be living in in 5, 10, 20 years time so there's no point thinking about that.

Having a baby was the best thing that ever happened to me, and that's coming from someone who never had any interest in having kids before it happened.
    At times it can be hard, in many different way but the positives outweigh any negatives by a lot for me.

I won't lie, the birth wasn't great. My girlfriend had a tough time, we had a big scare and thought we might lose the baby after delivery, luckily it all worked out and he is fine now. This happened in one of the top maternity hospitals in Dublin, these things just happen sometimes, I don't think it was the staffs fault, some things are just out of your control. Although there was certain things leading up to the birth we felt they could have dealt with better.

If you're looking for someone to tell you you have nothing to worry about and everything will go great,youre just not going to get that because nobody can guarantee you what will happen but the most likely scenario is that everything will be ok in the end even if there's is little scares along the way. Its really up to you and how much you want it. For me I think its the best thing ever and I love every minute of being a parent. Even through the lack of sleep.

Good Luck

Do you have just the one child ?
    Would it put you off having another child if they had a chance to have a disability ?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Land is being lost to global temperature increases causing rising tides. The list goes on..

Now this is hysteria unless you live on one of those tiny islands that's barely above sea level. Or you insist in living on the sea front. We are not going to turn into the horrible Kevin Costner film, Waterworld.
    Over the next 50 years low lying coastal margins will see increased flooding at high tide, especially during storms
    It's also possible that climate change could result in an increase of productive agricultural land as areas currently too cold or too dry come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

I don’t think that the decision to have a child has much to do with any rational reasons, not with most people and especially women (estrogen gets ya in the end!). It’s like you say, OP, your body is telling you it’s time. We are animals whose biology means a powerful call to reproduce, and your body isn’t letting you forget it!

I am a mother and if I had looked at it rationally, I wouldn’t have had a child, no way! Not when I did, and not now, either. There are, unfortunately, so many rational reasons not to reproduce in this crazy, expensive, dangerous world. But I had the same call of my body at about the same age as yourself. And That’s the whole story, I’m afraid.

We think we are all so rational these days and oh so clever, so we expect to always make the rational decisions and that we are so clever and advanced as a species that we can calculate risks, play around with calculations and make rational decisions around this biological, hormonal stuff. You have to understand that none of this is true. It’s just arrogance and delusion. More than half of the people in this world have barely anything bar the roof over their heads, not to Talk about medical standards, etc, and they reproduce like rabbits. It’s what we do, so now you can get rational about it and swerve it to avoid all the risks associated, but your body will be relentless for a while, always reminding you of ITS preferred choice!

So I reckon you will have a baby or two in the end, as I’ve never known a woman who didn’t answer that call once she heard it, only the women who don’t ever hear that call can remain indifferent and carry on as child-free as ever. You now have a choice: embrace all the attendant risks and dangers, feel the fear and do it anyway, or bellyache about the state of the world in general and the HSE in particular until you tire yourself out, AND you will still have a baby at the end of it all. So I heartily recommend you skip the useless bellyaching, and stick with the first option!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id get a mortgage before having a child. If your incomes cant support a mortgage they Probably cant support a child either.

We would have so much love to give a child, but some of the time I think that it's cruel to bring a person into the world. Yeah it's an unpopular opinion, but it's something that clouds my decision to just go for it.

Poverty levels around the world have fallen dramatically.

It is not cruel to have a baby.

It is a wonderful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You don't seem in the righr headspace to have a child OP.

Deal with your anxiety issues before bringing a child into the world.

A child needs a parent not a basket case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

As it's Friday 13th perhaps we should come back tomorrow!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement