Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BCMS opt in or opt out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I’m a structural engineer and have been working in Dublin and all over the country for almost 17 years on projects ranging from house extensions to schools to housing estates to multi storey office blocks etc. I've had “building control” on TWO sites (both BCAR) in all that time..

Im working about the same number of years but here in mayo we get regular BC site visits.
    Mostly since circa 2008 and looking at part L for the most part but once they take an interest, everything is open to query.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’m relatively similar in that I started out in a Consulting Engineers in 2002. I didn’t see a Building Control Inspection until 2013. Now I see them every other day due to types of projects I’m on in Dublin City.

*I understand other counties may not get the exposure as the City.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

eoinzy2000 wrote: »
    I can agree with that, but "Joe down the road is 10k cheaper to build my house. I heard he was good." Or: "yer man down the road will give you your cert for 700/800 quid".
    This is the old way, and Opt out does nothing to stop this and increase building quality. Money will always talk. In an ideal world, I can understand what your saying, but it hasn't, and doesn't work. I see it every single time I inspect structures in Ireland.
    In my opinion, it is only a small percentage of your construction cost that allows you to ensure approved products are used and wcs help pinpoint faults/ liability, either products or contractor, into the future.

"Out out" commencement notices still are required to have building regulation compliant drawings and documents submitted to show how the build will comply with building regulations.

I have never uploaded an opt out application without at least a Prelim part L Report and detailed Drawings of construction.

The days of Joe soap the handyman builder building from planning drawings and working out of the cab of his van are long gone in my experience thankfully.
    Builders that I encounter are proper professionals with established offices and staff. Data sheets for materials are easy enough to come by as the same materials are used over and over on one offs.

Personally I think the ancillary certification aircraft of the "opt in" is a complete red Herring. The only tradesman that is statutorily obliged to certify their work is the electrician. Anything else is on very shaky ground legally in my opinion.....and all it is useful for is the assigned certifier diluting their responsibility as the over arching certifier. Like I said previously, I don't think it actually gives the homeowner any real extra protection as the whole ancillary cert aspect is a web of pretty worthless paperwork

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

OP here. So this is what I understand:

It seems the general consensus is that the ‘opt out’ process is the best way forward. Once the BCMS ‘opt out’ procedure is followed properly by my architect/engineer, and the required drawings/paperwork uploaded, I would have no future issues if I ever decided to sell my property (from a paperwork viewpoint of course). The required BCMS uploads and supervising architect’s final opinion on compliance would be sufficient?

Thanks for all advice and guidance. Some interesting debate to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 edding4321

Hi Syd, Im at the Opt-in\Opt-out stage - you said in a previous most you have done alot of these. Would you care to drop me a PM (I cant PM you) to see if we could use your services?. Thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement