Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few things lads.

Options
  • 13-11-2020 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

So this year was my first time applying for deer licence after finding a perfect gun for it. I got plenty of permission from a friend and a letter from landowner etc. Sent in application along with firearm details.
    Still nothing from npws. Numerous calls and finally I git an email to ask about it.
    4 emails within past month and no reply. They cant keep blaming covid on it ?

Secondly my rifle licence application is on hold because I needed new safe which I got and installed as I needed a 4 gun for the two guns I already have. Its installed and I dont know when it'll be inspected but it won't be granted till then. Then I received an email saying I also need to send a letter of competence proving im safe with firearms. Never asked for that before despite being registered firearm owner for 8 years nearly. So why now??
    Its all confusing and very annoying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I don't shoot deer myself but the NPWS have made a hash of the licensing this year and persistently use covid as an excuse

On the matter of the safe, I would ring the local superintendent's office and ask for the crime prevention officer to come out to inspect. You may be able to just supply photographs of the safe.

The competency certificate is not required because you have previously held a firearms license for another firearm.

Best of luck and safe shooting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The pigeon man has covered all bases there but just for the sake of piling on:
    Still nothing from npws. Numerous calls and finally I git an email to ask about it.
    4 emails within past month and no reply. They cant keep blaming covid on it ?
    There are lads, i believe, that applied during the year that are still waiting on their licenses. So i wouldn't hold your hold.
    Then I received an email saying I also need to send a letter of competence proving im safe with firearms.
    From whom btw? AGS i presume.
    So why now??
    They can ask for it whenever they want its just unusual for a long time, multiple firearm owner to be asked for it.

Simply write an e-mail saying you've been a firearm owner of multiple firearms including rifles for 8 years and that is your competence. Its one of the four ways.

As for the safe, well TPM covered it above. Ask will pictures suffice and then take them of the safe, it's location, and the bolts to the floor/wall. If it won't then ask for the CPO to be sent out asap.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Eurocodus

I applied for the deer licence in mid September. I received my licence on the 2nd or 3rd of November. I was talking to another Stalker who applied around the same time, he was also grated a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭kunekunesika

You don't say when you sent in your application to npws? Friend received his first deer license yesterday, sent in his application last week in August. So they are processing. Doesn't seem any slower than normal. He didn't send any e-mails or make any phone calls ( was just about to send an e-mail). It will arrive..........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

You don't say when you sent in your application to npws? Friend received his first deer license yesterday, sent in his application last week in August. So they are processing. Doesn't seem any slower than normal. He didn't send any e-mails or make any phone calls ( was just about to send an e-mail). It will arrive..........

Sorry I sent my deer application end of July man.

• Advertisement

Sorry I sent my deer application end of July man.

Slow ,yes. Good news though,is that they are still processing them. Was worried for my friend, that he might just have been pushed into next yeas applications, because npws were struggling so much. It will come.

Licenced arrived this morning lads
    Thanks

Licenced arrived this morning lads
    Thanks

Congrats, slow, but it arrived!! Enjoy

Congrats, slow, but it arrived!! Enjoy

thanks man. hopefully now with a letter sent to the superintendent on my competency and that I have my deer licence and new larger safe installed the licence for the new rifle will arrive shortly and I can start getting some meat for the freezer.
    cant wait to get out on them and ive new permission to try aswell

Advertisement