Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high spec back lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for commuting?
    only reason i ask is that with rear lights, my approach is to buy a light at half your budget - and buy two.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jamesd wrote: »

To be honest I wouldn’t recommend them. Had two and both failed. They are a good idea but the software and firmware isn’t there. Firmware updates seem to cause issues , aswell as ingress of water. And poor quality buttons.
    I’d give them a 1/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Cateye lights are good and stocked by nearly all local bike shops. I'd recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Anyone know an Irish stockist for this (or similar high spec and high lumen back lights).

https://www.niterider.com/products/omega-300

It's on Amazon but I'd rather shop local.

thanks,
    Declan

There is no place for a 300 lumen rear light in shared road space.

Years ago I measured a Moon Shield 60 on against car rear lights and brake lights.

The car lights/brake lights measured 3/8lux
    while on high setting the Moon Shield measured 42 lux.

I can confirm every cyclist I cycled at night with told me "turn off that fcuking light"

If you are trying to be more visible ankle reflectors/lights (which move in a vertical plane) along with a normal rear light are a decent combination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The Lezyne rear strip light is very good.

It claims to be 300 lumens but I can't see that being true.

This is similar and they usually have stock in Halfords if you've one local. I find the smaller bike shops generally don't tend to keep a lot of lights in stock and usually just order them online when you ask for them.

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/moon-comet-x-rear-bike-light-272606.html

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Agree about the Leyzne Strip Drive.

Excellent light.

It has a Daytime Pulse Flash mode that has almost eliminated close passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

crosswords wrote: »

Excellent light.

It has a Daytime Pulse Flash mode that has almost eliminated close passes.
    Another vote for the Lezyne strip drive. The other rear light I use which I find amazing is a Garmin Varia, this has been a game changer for me for solo rides on roads with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

crosswords wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another vote for the Lezyne Strip Drive. So good I bought a second one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is no place for a 300 lumen rear light in shared road space...

.....I can confirm every cyclist I cycled at night with told me "turn off that fcuking light".....
    And rightly so! Why on earth were you using the 300 lumen setting on a group ride? You wouldn't use your high beams in a car when facing other road users just because the car has them.

There are 8 other settings on it - some designed for group rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

Thanks for all the helpful replies folks. A few good options there for me. And yes, I agree with the comments about high lumens on group/commuter rides.

I do use the high lumen flash on the front light so that pedestrians are more likely to look up from their phone and see me before stepping in front of my bike.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

for commuting?
    only reason i ask is that with rear lights, my approach is to buy a light at half your budget - and buy two.

Interesting. Thanks. Why do you buy two rear lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I have a Bontrager Flare RT rear light and it is a seriously good piece of kit. It's shockingly bright, no way you'd be missed with it. Connects to the Garmin too so I can switch it on or off from there or set it to auto and it'll do it itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Another vote for the Lezyne strip drive. The other rear light I use which I find amazing is a Garmin Varia, this has been a game changer for me for solo rides on roads with traffic.

+1 on both of these, the Garmin Varia radar is a game-changer on country roads. I can be a pain in the city though.

R

Yeah I like having the light in the city but if there was an easy way of turning off the radar for the first & last 5km of my longer solo rides I'd use it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

RE The Varia:
    Ah its handy enough to switch of the 'beeping for traffic approaching ' on the head unit when in urban area's!
    On the 1030 unit just pulldown from the top.
    Hit settings.
    Touch Sensors.
    Varia and then disconect.
    15 sec job.

koutoubia wrote: »
    RE The Varia:
    Ah its handy enough to switch of the 'beeping for traffic approaching ' on the head unit when in urban area's!
    On the 1030 unit just pulldown from the top.
    Hit settings.
    Touch Sensors.
    Varia and then disconect.
    15 sec job.
    Cheers also have a 1030 so will try that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

I use a light attached to the back of my helmet, means it doesn't get robbed if I lock bike somewhere as I bring the helmet, and I'm always wearing the helmet so can have one for all bikes.

Anyone recommend a decent one though as mine has just died? the strip one recommended above is just too big really.

Advertisement