Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animal lover(s) in Ranelagh (D6) needed

• 13-11-2020 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi All, I am not sure if this is the right place to post it or maybe it's better in some other category so please redirect me if necessary.

I feed one wild fox and 1 small flock of birds in Ranelagh (Dublin 6) every evening at 9pm but I am scheduled to have a procedure (ear operation) in the hospital next Sunday 22 November 2020, which they already said that they will keep me there for the entire week. This means that I will not have a chance to feed the fox and my birds for all 7 days and I fear that they will starve and suffer because of this break. I feed them for the last year so they are very used to me.
    Is there anyone in the Ranelagh area who could cover me on those 6 days while I would provide the seeds and fox food? I would meet with the person e.g. a day before and show where to leave the food. It's really only a matter of leaving it there and go home. The fox always waits for me in the same place and time, similar to my birds.
    Please let me know if there is any animal lover / volunteer that could help me and I would cover them on any days they will require too.
    Sadly, I have no family here and my neighbours are not willing to help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi All, I am not sure if this is the right place to post it or maybe it's better in some other category so please redirect me if necessary.

I feed one wild fox and 1 small flock of birds in Ranelagh (Dublin 6) every evening at 9pm but I am scheduled to have a procedure (ear operation) in the hospital next Sunday 22 November 2020, which they already said that they will keep me there for the entire week. This means that I will not have a chance to feed the fox and my birds for all 7 days and I fear that they will starve and suffer because of this break. I feed them for the last year so they are very used to me.
    Is there anyone in the Ranelagh area who could cover me on those 6 days while I would provide the seeds and fox food? I would meet with the person e.g. a day before and show where to leave the food. It's really only a matter of leaving it there and go home. The fox always waits for me in the same place and time, similar to my birds.
    Please let me know if there is any animal lover / volunteer that could help me and I would cover them on any days they will require too.

Unfortunately I’m based outside Dublin otherwise I’d help .. just wanted to say what a wonderful and kind person you are! I hope your operation goes well and someone local can help x

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Thank you, Cocker5, let's hope that some good soul from Ranelagh will answer my call. At least I know that animals from your area are well looked after having such a nice person like you around. Stay well, my friend.

Thank you, Cocker5, let's hope that some good soul from Ranelagh will answer my call. At least I know that animals from your area are well looked after having such a nice person like you around. Stay well, my friend.

Have you posted up on some local forums maybe via Facebook? If you search ‘ranelagh’ on Facebook there are numerous pages, post up on the these and someone with a good heart will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭This is it

Fair play, just be careful about putting it on Facebook. You're literally telling people that your house is empty for a whole week. Unfortunately not near myself but hopefully you get someone to help out

This is it wrote: »
    Fair play, just be careful about putting it on Facebook. You're literally telling people that your house is empty for a whole week. Unfortunately not near myself but hopefully you get someone to help out

Why would your address be on Facebook?
    Mine certainly isn’t! (Location off too)

I meant if the OP asks locally he / she may get a better response .. and thru PM on Facebook all private ..

Maybe email these guys for advice..

https://iwt.ie/get-involved/our-branches/dublin-branch/

Anyway best of luck OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭This is it

cocker5 wrote: »
    Why would your address be on Facebook?
    Mine certainly isn’t! (Location off too)

I meant if the OP asks locally he / she may get a better response .. and thru PM on Facebook all private ..

Maybe email these guys for advice..

https://iwt.ie/get-involved/our-branches/dublin-branch/

Anyway best of luck OP

I didn't say your address, or their address, would be on facebook. It doesn't need to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Wild animals should be able to look after themselves for at least a week.
    Nature has a way of finding its balance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ganmo wrote: »
    Wild animals should be able to look after themselves for at least a week.
    Nature has a way of finding its balance

Urban foxes - too tame for their own good. We’ve loads around here from convent/cemetery grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

How lovely. I’ll do it for you, pm me the details

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Oh wow, what fantastic string of comments to wake up to! Thank you so much. I was so stressed and worried because of that but it looks like it will be taken care of thanks to my fellow animal lovers.
    Thank you very much, Zerosugarbuzz! I will send you a private message now.

What a superb outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 mwv

What a lovely connection to nature you have! Sounds like a really peaceful way to end your day. I would love to help out if zerosugarbuzz needs a break for a few nights. Best of luck with your procedure OP, you are definitely due some good karma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

tk123 wrote: »
    Urban foxes - too tame for their own good. We’ve loads around here from convent/cemetery grounds.

Could it possibly be from people feeding them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ganmo wrote: »
    Could it possibly be from people feeding them?

I think more from people dumping crap around the place and them scavenging? And then the fact that there's just more people around these days with land being bought and developed so more rubbish for them to find? I have seen birds in the park that have clearly been eaten by a prey animal (judging by what's left) so they definitely hunt too - so I'd agree with you 100% they're not going to starve if people don't feed them. Like they used to cross the yard when we were in school to the point we'd be all ":rolleyes: yeah big deal another fox" when the teacher pointed out the window lol :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Delighted that I read this today, international day of kindness. Good luck with your procedure OP, the responses show there are many kind people out there.

Advertisement