Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart tv with a terrestrial and satellite tuner that you can combine channels

• 13-11-2020 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, I'm looking for a 43 inch smart tv with a terrestrial and satellite tuner that allows you to combine the terrestrial and satellite channels together in a favourite list or similar.
    I bought a LG tv for my parents with both tuners to replace their old tv + combo box setup. I was hoping to reduce the number of remote controls required and generally make things a bit easier for them.
    Unfortunately the LG only made things worse, you can only view either terrestrial channels or satellite channels and need to switch between the tuners. The number of button moves required to switch between the two was just too much for elderly users.
    In the end they went back to the combo box.
    I'm now looking at replacing my own tv/combo box setup and don't want to fall into the same trap again.
    Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I have one of these and it has everything on one channel list , I think Walker and Nordmende are the same.

https://powercity.ie/product/43UL306

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

LG have a quick access feature. Assign a satellite channel in quick access menu and long press it to go to that channel.

Eg...

If RTE1 is at '1' then short press 1 to go to terrestrial from satellite.

Assign quick access key '2' to BBC1 and long press 2 to go to satellite from terrestrial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

tml73 wrote: »
    H The number of button moves required to switch between the two was just too much for elderly users.
    I'm now looking at replacing my own tv/combo box setup and don't want to fall into the same trap again.

I have both Toshiba and Walker TVs, all channels in a single list, satellite channels start at 301. My mother has no problem using them.

Easy to scroll up the list once in the order you require. Channels not required such as radio channels, Saorview info channel (27) etc. can be hidden allowing you to scroll from say Oireachtas channel on 22 to say BBC1 on 301 with a single press of the channel up button on the r/c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

tml73 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for a 43 inch smart tv with a terrestrial and satellite tuner that allows you to combine the terrestrial and satellite channels together in a favourite list or similar.
    I bought a LG tv for my parents with both tuners to replace their old tv + combo box setup. I was hoping to reduce the number of remote controls required and generally make things a bit easier for them.
    Unfortunately the LG only made things worse, you can only view either terrestrial channels or satellite channels and need to switch between the tuners. The number of button moves required to switch between the two was just too much for elderly users.
    Thanks

I got a Walker 43inch recently, all channels are on the one list, different epg's. Not the most advanced TV but value for money, the Walker, Nordmende and Toshiba are has been said much the same tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tml73

Thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭yellowbear

decor58 wrote: »
    I got a Walker 43inch recently, all channels are on the one list, different epg's. Not the most advanced TV but value for money, the Walker, Nordmende and Toshiba are has been said much the same tv.

Hey just wondering do the satellite channels have full 7 day EPG out just now and next?

yellowbear wrote: »
    Hey just wondering do the satellite channels have full 7 day EPG out just now and next?

Just now and next programme info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

You can get a Walker smart app in play store on your phone and it will give you 3 days programme guide, can set reminders and recordings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

The Cush wrote: »
    Just now and next programme info.

You can get the full 7 day EPG with newer LG’s if you scan and select Freesat as the option. Stick in any postcode and it’ll give you that region. Once it’s finished you have the channels ordered for you with a 7 day guide

What you don’t get is Saorview channels combined (can use favourites as quick swap between)

And you don’t get all the free to air channels, C4 HD, Pick TV, plus all of the music channels are just to name a few examples

That was the trade off, switching sources on an LG or a box and one channel list, plus a significant difference in price, 290€ compared to 430€, I don't know if there is that much of a difference in quality. I had also read that the LG epg was not the full Freesat epg and had issues populating and with series link, others might have more info on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

I have a Hisense 43inch 4K Smart LED TV that has a terrestrial and satellite input. It has all channels in one list and you can plug in a hard drive to the TV and record programmes to it. Also has all the normal smart apps, Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video etc. and has built in wifi.

Got it from Argos and frankly, is a fantastic TV and was less than €300. Model number is 43B7500UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Creeping Death

decor58 wrote: »

In your first photo, there are symbols on the right had side of Channel 4 and Channel 5, are those channels locked?
    I'm looking to buy a tv for my parents for all of the same reasons mentioned earlier in this thread, to have all channels on one list without switching sources.

I'm thinking of this walker 32 inch https://www.soundstore.ie/walker-32-hd-ready-led-tv-wpt3220led.html

Does it look like that tv would have all channels on 1 list?

In your first photo, there are symbols on the right had side of Channel 4 and Channel 5, are those channels locked?
    I'm looking to buy a tv for my parents for all of the same reasons mentioned earlier in this thread, to have all channels on one list without switching sources.

I'm thinking of this walker 32 inch https://www.soundstore.ie/walker-32-hd-ready-led-tv-wpt3220led.html

Does it look like that tv would have all channels on 1 list?

No, all the channels I have are unlocked, all the BBC's, ITV's, C4's & C5's are available some, about 12, in HD, over 100 including Saorview, and +1's.
    Yes all the channels are on the one list, separate epg's. I use the app to renumber the channels, other that that UK channels start at 301, not a big issue.
    I can't say about the TV, Powercity have one for 189€ and it has all the channels on one list and it's smart.

Some FTA channels carry an encrypted tag, which means they may not be found during an FTA channel scan on some receivers. In that case an encrypted/Pay TV scan is required on some transponders/frequencies and are then stored normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Creeping Death

Thanks for the replies.
    In the end, we stayed away from the smart tv option, as we needed it to be as simple as possible for my parents, and that wouldn't suit them.
    We went with the 32 inch linked in my earlier post, after seeing your photo of a combined list, and their support staff saying that this tv would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭deezell

On the LG thread on the same subject, a poster said he could change instantly using the voice remote to hop channels AND tuners in one command, 'BBC 1' say while watching RTE 2. My Samsung Qled voice remote only changes to available channel numbers, won't recognise names, 'BBC 1', or '101' while watching Saorview.

Advertisement