Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emerald Airlines.... new kid in town!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Much less than 1700 kgs on a typical DUB to U.K. sector. 1700 might be the dispatch/block fuel but that will include taxi, a conservative trip figure, contingency, alternate, final reserve and a fair bit of extra the crew have decided on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Emerald really don't seem to be doing very well for punctuality. I know things are hard at the moment but this is the late evening Bristol to Dublin flight and its almost always well over an hour late. Is this just how things are (I doubt it because no other airline seems this bad), or is it something fundamentally wrong at Emerald? Aer Arann was never this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Take a look at all the departures from BRS this evening, every flight departing late, plenty of them well over an hour behind schedule. It's chronically understaffed there and it's become a common sight every day this summer.

Emerald at DUB have been very poor across the board it has to be said, they had some teething problems in the first few weeks which were being ironed out but then the summer schedule really took off and they've been fighting a losing battle with congestion, poor ground handlers and staff shortages ever since.

Elsewhere, BHD seems to be a much healthier operation, they manage to keep to schedule or recover more quickly when things do go wrong which suggests the problems aren't endemic to Emerald but rather a symptom of the general situation.

Nowhere near as bad as whats going on at Flybe 2.0 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

What I can’t understand is how slow they are at turning around the 72’s. Stobart were very good at this. Had one or two buses out at the plane as the last passengers were disembarking. Boarding commenced ASAP and with 60 / 70 pax, it was a fast enough boarding.

These guys look to take well over an hour on ground each time.

Probably partly due to their ground handling agents in the UK having literally no staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I love when they or others blame ground crew and/or staff shortages for the delays.

On Indeed, the rates of pay for a flight dispatcher is €13-€14 an hour.

PSA is €12.09

Who wants to work those unsociable hours for that kind of money?

All the big corporations cried foul that they would go bust if they paid higher wages to staff. Some companies did and do pay more and guess what, they didn't go bust! All that happens here is that the common traveller moans, swears they will never fly them again and then be back on the same flight the following month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Eu 14/hr for a dispatcher?! no wonder they can't get people!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Emerald were the company taking me to Bristol on Saturday, after four hours delay I decided not to fly, it was shocking.

The last part of your post is definitely not true. Most of their routes have strong competition and people are not as big of idiots as you are making out.

You are talking about the travelling public here? Ok! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Well, McCarthy had better do something about Dublin Aerospace, as his workforce is leaving as fast as they can quit. The ordinary hangar worker, engaged in overhauls, can't sustain a decent living when they are paid the lowest in the airport and bag slingers are earning more than them. All he wants to do is pare costs to the bone but regular humans take the hit and Emerald will go the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Anyone know if they are strict on cabin baggage dimensions? I have a case that suffices for the 10kg limit on Aer Lingus but is over the allowed size as per the aer Lingus info. Don't fancy checking in a bag given the DUB landside situation or else I would carry to the gate if they allow pax to put in the hold at the gate?

More often than not, getting to the aircraft and seeing that it’s too big they will throw it in the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

More new routes from Belfast City; Southampton & Cardiff starting 7 July.

Seems a very short lead in for new routes but may be a case of restricting FlyBe's chances at getting much of a foothold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Connor himself loading bags for Emerald this week and last.

Advertisement