Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k UHD Blu-ray recommendations

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There is other stuff going out soon in 4K according to Zavvi's website & Blu-ray.com.

Basic Instinct, Howard the Duck, Indiana Jones, Space Jam, My Fair Lady, Mortal Engines, X-Men Apocalypse, Ghost in the Shell, Shrek.

And many more to get added into the list when they get announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Films, especially older ones, often don't have a definitive look and even when they do transferring them to different formats will inevitably result in them looking different. It's not as simple as the same just in better resolution or whatever, especially where hdr is concerned. New masters created from negatives have to be colour corrected from scratch and these days that would be done using technology like digital colour grading that didn't exist when the film was released. Not to mention that they being put onto a format that is technically superior to 35mm film projection in many respects. Ideally the dp (when they are still around) should supervise new transfers - directors are not always a good judge of these things.

Early Blu-rays suffered from lazy or revisionist masters too. I suspect hdr is being abused in many cases to create unnatural or excessive contrast similar to how dnr was abused with dvd and blu-ray. Once the novelty of hdr wears off I think we'll see better, more accurate 4k releases.

This is my take on 4K HDR too. On the few that I've seen, I've noticed that while the colours are indeed vivid, they can also look artificial too and it can be very difficult to ignore that and just enjoy the film.

There also seems to be a thrust of "Well this is 4K and HDR, so therefore it's automatically better than the 1080p blu". But I've seen some new remasters and that certainly hasn't been the case at all.

I can also recall the early days of Blu Ray and people swearing that a picture that was scrubbed to hell and back with DNR and then edge enhanced looked better than the DVD counterpart and I thought I was going mad when I saw things different.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

This guy reckons that most of the time there isn't much difference between 4k and standard blu rays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭jones

The near death of physical media really makes me sad. I've always been into collecting dvds/blurays and to a lesser extent 4k Blurays but i notice the law of diminishing returns has kicked in even for me as a cinefile. I had close to 1000 DVDs back in the day and then about 400 blurays and about 30 4k disks now. The main reason for this is not wanted to rebuy films unless i really love them - i looking at you lord of the rings, braveheart, gladiator etc which i have literally bought on all formats. I've always liked having a physical collection.

Out of my circle of friends all late 30s early 40s only myself and one other chap would ever buy 4k disks and most wouldnt have bought regular blurays. Streaming is mostly to blame but the price of the 4k format does not help IMO. My broadband is rubbish so streaming 4k has never really been an option. Last weekend i was watching avengers infinity war with my daughter on disney plus (even though i have the bluray but was too lazy to get up and put it on) the quality difference is unreal to my eyes between streaming and phscial media but i do note that others have far better internet and so the difference would probably be less noticeable.

Back on topic i find zavvi very good with offers such as 2/30 or 3/30 but new titles are ridiculously expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

4K blu rays are too expensive. Take out the blu ray included and make them cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

jones wrote: »
    Out of my circle of friends all late 30s early 40s only myself and one other chap would ever buy 4k disks and most wouldnt have bought regular blurays.

The fact of the matter is that Blu Ray is still a niche market, despite being over ten years old. DVD is still king. 4K is an even deeper niche and will probably never get to a point where it can be considered truly mainstream in any way.

The vast majority of people simply will stick a few bob on a DVD and be perfectly happy with it. They'll never even know or care about the qualitative differences that the higher scale of resolution brings, nor do they understand a single thing about bitrates or how a movie is mastered for home release.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Brackwom

I recommend The Irishman on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Staggering upgrade for the In The Line of Fire 4K version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR0lKeed24

The original Star Trek movies are getting a 4K boxset release. However; the boxset includes the first 4 films with films 5 and 6 omitted.

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan comes with a director's cut. However all other movies within this boxset include the theatrical cut only.

Paramount have also announced plans to release a new 4K HDR restoration of the Director's Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture on Paramount+. The restoration will take 6-8 months.

There's also some recent good news for fans of The Shawshank Redemption & The Thing.

They're being released on 4K UHD Blu-ray from this September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Caquas

I never thought I would go for 4k discs but I’m changing my mind because I am very disappointed with the range of 4k films available on Netflix and Prime.

Netflix or Amazon productions are in UHD/4k but the vast bulk of feature films on these services are only available in HD in Ireland (UK has much more 4k movies on these services, I don’t know why). Same with sound which is generally Dolby Plus. Apple+ is better for 4k but I don’t want to add a third monthly bill for a couple of shows I might like.

I suspect there are legal/marketing reasons behind this limit on 4k movie streaming in the Irish market. Do others have the same experience with Netflix & Prime?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yes outside of their own produced content which is normally 4K there is very few Movies on their services in 4K

I do buy lots of movies from Apple when they go on sale for as low as 3.99 and built up a collection of those. I will buy physical copies of movies I love, so I will pick up The Thing on 4K Disc before the end of the year.

I tend to rent 4k movies from iTunes and only buy if I’m very enthusiastic or the whole family want to watch (usually at different times). Even then, 4k is sometimes limited in Ireland. I’m disappointed to see e.g. that Minari is only available as HD and only to buy at €11.99 in Ireland. I have good broadband but I think UHD discs may be better than 4k streaming, especially the audio.

I still don’t understand why we in Ireland are short-changed on 4k by streaming services e.g. Netflix and Prime. Why do we only get HD movies when the UK gets them in 4k e.g. the Joker, Jerry Maguire? I assume this is a legal issue but who decides that the Irish should go to the back of the queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Watched The Thing in 4K the other night. I can confirm it is a very good update. The Zavvi steelbook is a thing of beauty.

I also have Clockwork Orange, Beetlejuice and The Guest lined up to watch soon.

Rented Black Hawk Down from iTunes - 4k is spectacular but no Atmos. I think my Fire TV 4k has a problem with Atmos, despite its specs. Pity, because the sound track is excellent and Atmos was made for those helicopters. The range and depth of colour in HDR is as important as the extra detail in 4K (everyone is covered in sweat all the time!).

The film itself is like an old-fashioned Western where the Indians are slaughtered but we are supposed to care only about the white people. I doubt if Hollywood will ever again make a movie like this. I wondered what its sales were like in Africa?

Sorry about Atmos but glad I didn’t lash out 20 quid on a UHD disc because it feels like US military propaganda so one viewing was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just a heads up, you can set up a Turkish Itunes account and with Turkish Itunes gift cards you can buy 4K movies extremely cheap only downside no extras. Some examples

Tenet 4K Dolby Vision €1.71

Alien 4K HDR €0.54 cents

The Thing 4K

Scream 4K €1.04

Matrix Trilogy 4K Dolby Vision and Atmos €3.59

Borne and Jurrasic World 5 movies €4.49

All harry potter and Fantastic beast movies (10 movie set) 8.98

So some fantastic prices can be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Hi all,

Any update on where to gte reasonably priced 4k Blurays? I've looked at amazon.fr , .it and .es and dont see much value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Zavvi might be the job. They do deals, 3 for the price of 2 and that type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Do they sort out the customs etc like amaxon.co.uk do? Or would I be hit with additional charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't think there are additional charges bar shipping.

• Advertisement

Robocop is going to be released on 4K Blu-ray on Arrow Video in March 2022 along with An American Werewolf in London & Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

I already have 4k remaster of Robocop on 1080p Blu-ray from Arrow Video on my shelf. I haven't had time to watch it yet. However; The reviews on that version have remarked that the picture transfer in it is outstanding.

As soon as the 4K version of this film gets released with HDR from March. The picture quality on it could become bloody jaw droppingly good once it's out on sale.

I just read in the last few weeks that Watership Down is getting a 4K Blu-ray release from the BFI in late October. I think this could be the very first time that a title like this one is officially coming out on this format for the UK & Ireland market this year.

Pre-orders are up on Zavvi for the past few days. The price on there is for about €36 which includes the Blu-ray copy as well.

The release date is October 24th.

WAYNE'S WORLD! WAYNE'S WORLD!

IT'S PARTY TIME AND IT'S EXCELLENT!!!!

Wayne's World is coming out on 4K UHD Blu-ray in the UK and Ireland later this year.

The release date is November 14th.

Arrow Video is a releasing a 4K Blu-Ray edition of The Lighthouse starring Robert Pattinson.

They are also going to release the following titles in 4K UHD Blu-ray

Waterworld with Kevin Costner

Blackhat starring Chris Hemsworth

Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas

Naked Lunch

Pre-orders are up now if you want to get them.

Advertisement