Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deer Stalking

• 14-11-2020 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

After getting good bit of help with my last question said I’ll ask another. I’m looking get into deer stalking have wanted to for a long while already do some rough shooting. Only problem is I don’t know anyone handy with land that would be suitable and I’m wondering would it be hard for me to find a lease since I’m new to it and also only 20. Any advice on what I should do is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

For a Coillte lease you need-

HCAP or similar

Suitable Insurance

Price of the lease or part of-
    If you are going onto a lease as a nominated stalker then you have to pay the leasie his asking price. This could be a few hundred euro or into the thousands.
    If going as a 'Leasie' then you bare the cost of the lease and it is up to you to cover the cost by using nominated stalkers. The whole leasing process is a different kettle of fish and another thread.

Remember the basics, after the firearm, all the shooting kit etc, etc then the logistics fall into place.... transport to and from, storage etc etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Please don't take this as a criticism, its not. Its advice based on your experience, status, etc.

You have not yet begun to start into the sport of shooting, but are on the road, and good for you for doing it. However Deer stalking is not your average shooting. The easy part is pulling the trigger, however the work starts well before that and also long after the trigger pulling.

You need to know how to shoot a deer (shot placement), how to stalk, where to go, have land to shoot on, have a suitable rifle, know which animal to take and when (the season changes between September to February). There are courses you can take and trying to get in with guys already stalking would be of huge help.

If you shoot a rabbit or fox you dispose of the animal, job done. With a Deer it requires dragging, cleaning, skinning, storage, etc. Most importantly the knowledge to do all this.

Now i'm skirting the full details required to get into stalking, and while i might be appearing to be trying to put you off, nothing could be further from the truth. Its a great sport and i hope you get into it, but Deer stalking would require a basic understanding of shooting/hunting that cannot be "learnt as you go". You should build up to it by starting with vermin control, practising shot placement, learning about stalking (it applies to all game, not just deer) and after a few season then make the move into a deer legal caliber and get into stalking.

One last thing. Everything i've said above is best practice, but the law does not see it that way. By that i mean you can legally go out, buy a Deer legal rifle, rent a lease, and start shooting deer this very moment without doing anything i've said above. However i urge you to take the time and enjoy the variety the sport has to offer before jumping into the "deep end".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 35 kjl412

Cass wrote: »
    Please don't take this as a criticism, its not. Its advice based on your experience, status, etc.

You have not yet begun to start into the sport of shooting, but are on the road, and good for you for doing it. However Deer stalking is not your average shooting. The easy part is pulling the trigger, however the work starts well before that and also long after the trigger pulling.

You need to know how to shoot a deer (shot placement), how to stalk, where to go, have land to shoot on, have a suitable rifle, know which animal to take and when (the season changes between September to February). There are courses you can take and trying to get in with guys already stalking would be of huge help.

If you shoot a rabbit or fox you dispose of the animal, job done. With a Deer it requires dragging, cleaning, skinning, storage, etc. Most importantly the knowledge to do all this.

Now i'm skirting the full details required to get into stalking, and while i might be appearing to be trying to put you off, nothing could be further from the truth. Its a great sport and i hope you get into it, but Deer stalking would require a basic understanding of shooting/hunting that cannot be "learnt as you go". You should build up to it by starting with vermin control, practising shot placement, learning about stalking (it applies to all game, not just deer) and after a few season then make the move into a deer legal caliber and get into stalking.

One last thing. Everything i've said above is best practice, but the law does not see it that way. By that i mean you can legally go out, buy a Deer legal rifle, rent a lease, and start shooting deer this very moment without doing anything i've said above. However i urge you to take the time and enjoy the variety the sport has to offer before jumping into the "deep end".

Don't worry, absolutely no offence taken. I really appreciate the advice and will take it on board. You mentioned a lot of things I would have never thought of. Luckily I do have some of the skills, I was a butcher for a year, so at least I have that much under my belt. So I think I will take a year or two just to learn and watch. Thanks again for all the great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kranob

Covid lockdown obviously rules this out for a bit but what I did to gain a bit of experience( as I was pretty much in the same boat as yourself ) was to go on a guided stalk in the Uk for a Roe deer. The stalk for a cull buck was surprisingly cheap, £75 for a 4 hour morning stalk, £50 for the cull buck and I tipped the guy £20, all on a 5000 acre estate about an hours drive from Birmingham airport. The travel and accommodation were the expensive part but I was going to the NEC in Birmingham for the Shooting Show anyway. I got to stalk, shoot and gralloch a deer under supervision, gave me a bit of confidence to head out on my own over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

Where are you located.. I may be able to bring you out for a stalk if you wish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

IMO it's best to go out with someone that stalks. They will show you the how's and what's.
    Myself I had a good few years of target shooting with a 308 rilfe, so I was up to speed with a large calibre rifle.
    Then I had the good fortune to be taken out with a friend on his Lett, and shoot my first Sika calf on that outing. After many a trip out I got to learn to drag, grollogh, skin and butcher deer.
    That was 12 years ago now, and now I'm lucky enough to stalk over a farm not to far from my home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Find a deer stalker relatively local to you who will let you walk in his footsteps for a season learning from him. Let’s hope that he is competent !

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnner2

Npws are now saying that for next season for newcomers 1st licence there is a mandatory course that has to be done, anybody know of who provides this and how much it costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭kunekunesika

Johnner2 wrote: »
    Npws are now saying that for next season for newcomers 1st licence there is a mandatory course that has to be done, anybody know of who provides this and how much it costs.
    Aware of 2 options. Country sports Ireland, one day course, less than 200e , bring your own sandwiches. Hcap deer alliance, 2days, a bit dearer.
    Option 3, get application in now

First application Going in the post in the morning🙏🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭kunekunesika

Johnner2 wrote: »
    First application Going in the post in the morningðŸ™ðŸ€ž

Fingers crossed, might save yourself some hassle.

Hopefully all going well, late into season, they could become a problem.

Advertisement