Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New software?

Options
  • 14-11-2020 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all, hope I'm in the right forum.

I hope someone can help me. I think my laptop has given us the "death light" so to speak. When I turn it on, the screen is black but I can see and move around the cursor.

My question is-
    1). Can I rescue the files that were on that hard drive? I have a load of course work I need to get and my son had a project he was working on, on it.

2). I have a Dell laptop that was gifted to me when i started college. The software on it is really old (about 2007/2008) but the laptop is like new.
    Is there anyway I could just update the software on it? Is that a thing?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If it's booting enough to get to a screen with responding mouse cursor, then it's not too far gone, and data should be easy to extract from the disk.

You can freely change the software on the laptop, including replacing the OS entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

Spear wrote: »
    If it's booting enough to get to a screen with responding mouse cursor, then it's not too far gone, and data should be easy to extract from the disk.

You can freely change the software on the laptop, including replacing the OS entirely.

All of that is brilliant news. I'm assuming I could drop them both into a computer fixer place and they can do it for me?

Any idea on the cost of both of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It shouldnt be expensive but Id find a place thats well reviewed, recommended by a friend. Some places are known to wipe everything at the first sign of a minor hiccup.

If the laptop is a 2008 vintage then it may not be worth spending money on a W10 license and having it installed.

Advertisement