Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Installation

Options
  • 14-11-2020 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I just moved in to my new house and had planned on doing some DIY this weekend (ie set up Saorview). I have my booster/splitter, my aerial and coaxial cables terminated.

I'm based in Monaghan and normally we would pick up BBC etc and some Freeview channels however I am only receiving Saorview. I have the aerial in the attic for the moment and I am just moving it about hoping I'll pick up UK channels. I had it pointing east / northeast?

I have scanned on the TV as a UK user but to no avail.

The aerial I bought is a Labgear LAB450T. Should I have a separate aerial with a diplexer setup? Or is Freeview no longer overspilling. Maybe I will need a satellite setup?

Just thought I'd chance asking in case I am missing something simple. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

You probably won't get a good enough Freeview signal in the attic, & the aerial will need to go outside, higher up most likely.

In the attic, try to have it pointing through roof rather than wall, & not looking through anything metallic or water-filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

Thanks Elvis, for the day that's in it I was hoping I might get away without having to mount it outside �� I'll have another wee go and if no joy I'll just get a pro in.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

If it is the transmitter at Divis that you are aiming to receive its polarisation is horizontal. Your aerial has to be oriented so that the little rods along its length are horizontal.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

fearmhor18 wrote: »
    ... I was hoping I might get away without having to mount it outside �� I'll have another wee go and if no joy I'll just get a pro in.

It might work fairly low down outside, depending on the lie of the land. I'm on a bit of a hill myself, & can get a better signal about 5 feet off the ground outside, than I can get in my attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

We're on high enough ground so I might test it outside on the ground outside of the house. I had the aerial set horizontal too. Thanks for all the help folks. I think its just down to positioning now. I just thought I may have been missing equipment or I had the incorrect aerial purchased.

• Advertisement
Advertisement