Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would convince you to cycle to work instead of drive?

Options
  • 14-11-2020 1:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

This thread is obviously for those who don't already cycle.

My commute to work is 22 km (regardless of whether I take N/R or M roads), the distance is roughly the same. If I drive, it takes me 17 minutes with no traffic when I work early morning or late night shift, but if I do a Dolly Parton day's work it can be upto an hour or even more in stop start traffic (pre covid times).

Getting a bus would involve close to an hour on a bus and then a 40ish minute walk or alternatively 90 minutes on the bus to the city centre and another 30 minutes on another bus. That rules out public transport, even the capped leap fare is more than my petrol cost. (I'm not counting cost of tax ins NCT because I'll still be paying those regardless of whether I use my car for work).

This is what's putting me off cycling to work. I'm a fare weather hobby cyclist. I wouldn't dare cycle in the dark, drivers are too careless. Where I live there is a few sharp hairpin bends which I've no choice to use going in or out of my town. The speed limit is 80 km/h, most drivers treat this as a target and fly around at or above the limit. If you dare take it easy going around, you will be flashed and beeped and dangerously overtaken. Even if you're lit up like a Christmas tree, it won't matter if you get hit. High visibility vests are brought up if a cyclist isn't wearing one and ignored when they were wearing one.

Close passes. Similar to my previous point. Drivers are in too much of a rush. Cyclists are treated as an obstruction and not as traffic. I've heard this even from colleagues. "There was cyclists blocking the road today", and other clowns clucking and nodding in agreement.

Gardaí unable or unwilling to do anything. I've reported close passes before. Only once did the Garda get back to me. He said the car has changed ownership 3 times since I made the initial report, 3 or 4 months previous and said the offending driver would unlikely remember. He declined to see my camera footage.

My work place does great work to encourage cycling. You can ask HR for free batteries for your bike light they also have a box of free (albeit from the poundshop) bike lights if you get stuck or yours breaks etc. Free hi Vis and good shower facilities and a huge bike shed you have to fob into. They encourage employees to post up their cycling maps or stats to be entered into a draw for goodies.

I'd like to see and ad campaign to tell drivers to respect cyclists, rigid enforcement of minimum passing distance and presumed liability like the Netherlands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

Not having to bring my kids to school when I'm going to work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭blackbox

If it's quicker than driving would be the main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

A roof over the cycle lanes. Cars being banned from some of the routes into town.

blackbox wrote: »

Cycling would definitely be slower for me (twice as long), but I'd happily do it even a couple days a week, if I could

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

blackbox wrote: »

Probably would be for me too, but the issues I've outlined are putting me off.
    When I experienced the close passed it put me off for days at a time.

How do people have such thick skin? Do you not shït yourselves when a multi ton box barges past at excess speed?

Christ, I've often carefully overtaken a cyclist by moving into the other lane only to be undertaken by other cars who squeeze between me and the cyclist.

• Advertisement

Is 22 km an insurmountable distance to work up to?

What's your daily commute folks (cycling) ?

Christ, I've often carefully overtaken a cyclist by moving into the other lane only to be undertaken by other cars who squeeze between me and the cyclist.

This happens to you often? I've never seen or had it happen that a car overtakes me on the left while I'm in the middle of an overtaking manoeuvre myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I tried cycling for a while, its 22km round trip.
    Parts of the journey are fine, wide roads and space, parts I need to go through busy areas of town, these parts are the hard stressful parts.

I had the high viz, flashing lights, didn't weave on and out of traffic, didn't break lights, but too often drivers came too close, forcing me into drains, and was knocked off once and really hurt my wrist, amazed it didn't break, but bad sprain and unusable for days and swollen for a fortnight.

If it was wide busy main roads all the way I'd be fine, going through urban areas is a hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Nothing, if cycling was the last remaining form of transport then I’d walk.

I tried cycling for a while, its 22km round trip.
    Parts of the journey are fine, wide roads and space, parts I need to go through busy areas of town, these parts are the hard stressful parts.

I had the high viz, flashing lights, didn't weave on and out of traffic, didn't break lights, but too often drivers came too close, forcing me into drains, and was knocked off once and really hurt my wrist, amazed it didn't break, but bad sprain and unusable for days and swollen for a fortnight.

If it was wide busy main roads all the way I'd be fine, going through urban areas is a hazard.

Did you catch the driver? Or get footage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Did you catch the driver? Or get footage?

No. I don't wear a go pro or anything like that. I got some slap though. That ended my cycle to work days. Tried a couple of times after and just felt too unsafe.

I cycled in to work about 3 or 4 weeks ago, because my boys had no school, so I could. On the way home, a bus close passed me here, and then pulled in ahead of me to the bus stop. He was close enough that I could rub the side of the bus with my elbow. It was stupid and ****ty, but it wouldn't put me off cycling

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2119866,-6.6967266,3a,75y,211.7h,84.85t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1su-Nn4NHph9udCPJ1D2QtfQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Du-Nn4NHph9udCPJ1D2QtfQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D179.38017%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Just recently switched to cycle commuting. Pre covid I would be in the car for an hour + + getting from Dublin SW to South City. Now my average is 24 mins door to door on the bike. I'm lucky to have showers and a locker room.

There is still some shifts where I need the car, having to lug a boot full of equipment to another work location and back. The difference now is unreal, I don't enjoy the car commute anymore, I look forward to hopping on the bike and taking the scenic route in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'm all about the time for the commute.
    Working day can be long.
    I'll take the quickest (guaranteed time) commute.
    This means cycling even if a trafficless drive was quicker.

No way I'd cycle my current 60k each way across country. But I do cycle the last 2k each way.

I've worked in Dublin a few times and I've either cycled entirely or driven a distance and cycled rest.
    I had a site in sheriff st. Used drive to near the airport and cycle in. Cycled in from ongar to town previously.

20k each way is entirely fine. Under an hour and no mad fluctuatations.

I would add. It's invigorating to cycle to work.
    You arrive in ready for action. Esp a nice shower before getting to the desk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is 22 km an insurmountable distance to work up to?
    up until january i was doing 20km (well, 19.5km to be precise) each way twice a week. it was faster than driving.
    i was doing it typically in 50 minutes. 45 on a fast day, 55 on a slow day. worth mentioning that there are decent shower facilities in the office, so i was able to push myself on the commute, if i had to be conscious of not arriving sweaty i'd say i'd have added a good 20 minutes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I wouldn't dare cycle in the dark, drivers are too careless....
    I always feel safer in the dark as drivers tend to give more space.

Perhaps your road positioning is at fault? I cycle very regularly and only have the occasional close pass.

...Where I live there is a few sharp hairpin bends which I've no choice to use going in or out of my town. The speed limit is 80 km/h, most drivers treat this as a target and fly around at or above the limit. If you dare take it easy going around, you will be flashed and beeped and dangerously overtaken.
    Hairpin bends are rare in Ireland (usually only in mountainous areas) and require very slow speeds to negotiate them. I can't see how anyone would be near 80km/h on a hairpin bend.
    ...Cyclists are treated as an obstruction and not as traffic. I've heard this even from colleagues. "There was cyclists blocking the road today", and other clowns clucking and nodding in agreement.
    Have to agree there. I often heard work colleagues apologising for being late by saying they 'got stuck' behind a cyclist. Tractor drivers get the same treatment when going about their lawful business.
    ...My work place does great work to encourage cycling...
    My workplace (HSE) does everything in it's power to discourage cycling. I'm seen as some sort of oddball for cycling to work. A few years ago, they even put up 'no cycling' signs on the grounds. When I asked why there weren't similar signs regarding motor vehicles, I got puzzled looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

If Ireland had the climate of the Canaries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My workplace (HSE) does everything in it's power to discourage cycling. I'm seen as some sort of oddball for cycling to work. A few years ago, they even put up 'no cycling' signs on the grounds. When I asked why there weren't similar signs regarding motor vehicles, I got puzzled looks.
    there's a 'cyclists dismount' sign on entering the underground car park in our office. one of the lads who cycles in was stopped by a security guard once and told he should dismount. he asked 'why?' and the security guard had no answer except that there was a sign there.

I always feel safer in the dark as drivers tend to give more space.

Perhaps your road positioning is at fault? I cycle very regularly and only have the occasional close pass.

Hairpin bends are rare in Ireland (usually only in mountainous areas) and require very slow speeds to negotiate them. I can't see how anyone would be near 80km/h on a hairpin bend.

Have to agree there. I often heard work colleagues apologising for being late by saying they 'got stuck' behind a cyclist. Tractor drivers get the same treatment when going about their lawful business.

Ok, hairpin bends might be a bit of a hyperbole :D this is Ireland not Monaco.
    We'll say sharp bends :p

As for my positioing, it's a delicate balance. If I keep too far left, drivers tend to squeeze past without giving space.

If I cycle too far out some (very few) get impatient and beep and it's puts me under pressure to move to the left to let traffic by.

I don't understand impatience. When driving I always allow time for slower traffic, cyclists, farmers etc.

gadarnol wrote: »
    christ no, i'd sweat in the sea in the canaries. i can't imagine what i'd be like cycling to work in any sort of heat.

• Advertisement

often? i don't think i've ever had this happen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Proper shower facilities in work which I don't need to queue for. A locker to keep work clothes in.

Edit: 95% of the cycle has good cycle lanes. But 5% is very dangerous (as I get into Dublin city centre). Narrow roads with no cycle lanes. That's a deterrent too.

Weather (except for snow/ice) is a non-issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

gadarnol wrote: »

Exactly

Probably would be for me too, but the issues I've outlined are putting me off.
    When I experienced the close passed it put me off for days at a time.

How do people have such thick skin? Do you not shït yourselves when a multi ton box barges past at excess speed?

That's why sensible countries put the cycle lane on the footpath.

Here we just paint a line on the road and make it crap for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Done it for over one year, its 16km each way and I found it was just too far for a real long term alternative to the train, especially with showers, clothing etc.
    Now if it was 8km each way, then yes.

99nsr125 wrote: »

100% disagree. I've zero interest in off road lanes - too much hassle when they stop/start every few metres. Give me the edge of a road any day.

Off road tracks also encourage the belief among many motorists that cyclists shouldn't be on public roads.

The Netherlands has them on the road (mostly) they just allow ample space for both.

Putting them on the path forces cyclists to dismount to to get from the road to cycle lane on the footpath, then you have clowns jogging in them or dog leads stretched across.

The Netherlands has them on the road (mostly) they just allow ample space for both.

Putting them on the path forces cyclists to dismount to to get from the road to cycle lane on the footpath, then you have clowns jogging in them or dog leads stretched across.

I mean that's so inconvenient so much more so than being at risk of hefty injury or death by being amongst heavy vehicles

I'm a cyclist too by the way

I mean that's so inconvenient so much more so than being at risk of hefty injury or death by being amongst heavy vehicles

I'm a cyclist too by the way

Heavy vehicles aren't the danger, it's the driver inside them that's the danger.

Pay attention, watch your speed and keep your distance.

• Advertisement

there's a 'cyclists dismount' sign on entering the underground car park in our office. one of the lads who cycles in was stopped by a security guard once and told he should dismount. he asked 'why?' and the security guard had no answer except that there was a sign there.
    Concrete descending/ascending ramp? Slippery when wet?

Sign is probably required by the employer's insurance company to deter claims from cyclists hitting the deck in slippery conditions. Motorists are unlikely to fall over when entering/exiting.

Advertisement