Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would convince you to cycle to work instead of drive?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Yeah I don't believe this thing of acting like it never rains in Dublin, I've been rained on in a short bike commute at a minimum ten times since the first lockdown ends, much more than twice

Anybody have that post that's often made that uses the amount of rain days and divides it a by commuting time as I work outside most days and I am fairly sure it's drawing on incorrect data and would like to see how it compares to my experience.

For example, the general impression is that it rains quite a lot of the time in Ireland, but only one out of five hourly observations will report measurable rainfall. However, there is variation between sites of course, for example at stations on higher ground (that is, highest in counties Kerry and Wicklow), rainfall is recorded every one in 3.5 to 4 hours.

From met.ie

Dublin gets 4 days a month with more than 5mm rain (that's over a 24 hr period)

It gets 14 days a month with less than 0.2mm i.e. effectively dry

https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/1981-2010/dublin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've seen loads of secondary school lads on these little fold up bikes, I'm not sure if they're electric or not. Anyone know what they are and why they're suddenly so popular?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

For example, the general impression is that it rains quite a lot of the time in Ireland, but only one out of five hourly observations will report measurable rainfall. However, there is variation between sites of course, for example at stations on higher ground (that is, highest in counties Kerry and Wicklow), rainfall is recorded every one in 3.5 to 4 hours.

From met.ie

Dublin gets 4 days a month with more than 5mm rain (that's over a 24 hr period)

It gets 14 days a month with less than 0.2mm i.e. effectively dry

https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/1981-2010/dublin.html
    My own experience is that it rains very little (although I'm based in north Co Dublin which is the driest part of Ireland). For commuting, I'd say I had to use my rain jacket perhaps 5 or 6 times this year. On typical 5/6 hour club rides, 90% of the time I don't need to use my rain jacket. To say it rains a lot is a myth in my opinion.

(Also - it always looks wetter looking out from a car/house/office than it really is).

My own experience is that it rains very little (although I'm based in north Co Dublin which is the driest part of Ireland). For commuting, I'd say I had to use my rain jacket perhaps 5 or 6 times this year. On typical 5/6 hour club rides, 90% of the time I don't need to use my rain jacket. To say it rains a lot is a myth in my opinion.

(Also - it always looks wetter looking out from a car/house/office than it really is).

I live in South of Dublin. I can remember two dry days this month. Maybe four in October. September I think about ordering wood by the cubit. This is a wet windy country - no myth!

Also, if there are dry days, at least 20% are on days I don't go to work.

I read there are average 160 dry days in Ireland. Take away weekends and there are 114 dry working days. Take away 10 public holidays, there are 104. Take away my 24 days holidays, there are 80. Out of a year of commuting there is 285 days that I can not cycle to work dry!!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Strong wind would be more off putting than wet. Though moreso strong gusts due to pushing me about.

But wet... Even if there is 160 wet day, how many are wet at commuting time which is the relevant time? Does dry to 11, lash rain for 4 hours, dry until 7pm count as a wet day?

South dublin always has a headwind, in every direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..This is a wet windy country - no myth!...
    So the severe water shortages and hose pipe bans in the last few summers were a myth? A 'green' area near my house is regularly straw coloured for several weeks per year. It rained twice in March/April/May this year.

So the severe water shortages and hose pipe bans in the last few summers were a myth? A 'green' area near my house is regularly straw coloured for several weeks per year. It rained twice in March/April/May this year.

And since? Its a small sample, three months in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

This is rapidly turning into a meteorological thread.

Ah well.....it never rains but it pours.

I'll get me (rain) coat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I live in South of Dublin. I can remember two dry days this month. Maybe four in October. September I think about ordering wood by the cubit. This is a wet windy country - no myth!

Also, if there are dry days, at least 20% are on days I don't go to work.

I read there are average 160 dry days in Ireland. Take away weekends and there are 114 dry working days. Take away 10 public holidays, there are 104. Take away my 24 days holidays, there are 80. Out of a year of commuting there is 285 days that I can not cycle to work dry!!!! :pac:

160 dry days in Ireland. True, but that cna be rain anywhere in Ireland for it to not be a dry day.

You're taking those figures out of context completely.

Dublin gets approx 130 days of rain per year and is the driest part of the country.

People have it in their head that it's very wet. There are times that even when it has rained, that I'll likely get into work dry as the rain has run off mostly, mudguards and clothes done the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Working from home since March, but the main think that stopped me cycling to work once or twice a week was/is the lack of showering facilities. Trip is about 40kms each way. It would be a great spin on the long days during the period March to October but I'd be giving off a nice ripe pong without a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Had about as good a setup for commuting as you could imagine in my last job in Dublin City centre. Key things were:
    1) secure bike storage
    2) sufficient number of showers for bike/run commuters
    3) gear lockers (not just a pedestal beside your desk)
    4) a huge drying room for everybody’s wet gear!

We also had a towel service for that extra bling factor! ðŸ˜

A drop-off laundry/dry-cleaning service is another bonus, I hardly ever carried shirts/trousers when on the bike.

Oh and this... https://youtu.be/c1l75QqRR48

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Where was this cycle commuting paradise?!
    I'd like a drying room (never gonna happen!), myself and other commuters use a clothes rack in the downstairs toilet, which isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

eeeee wrote: »
    Where was this cycle commuting paradise?!
    I'd like a drying room (never gonna happen!), myself and other commuters use a clothes rack in the downstairs toilet, which isn't ideal.

That’d be telling!

They actually had space in a plant room in the underground carpark which was plenty hot all day round, so they caged off the plant area for safety, set up some of those benches with hangers on the back, and also allowed us hang gear from rails in the ceiling. It was awesome for those really, really wet days where you’d normally expect to climb back into soggy gear at 5:30!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My end of the Tiger era office has

1: A bike locker that was emptied out repeatedly due to a complete lack of security - although the really dodgy security guard is gone
    2: Not a single shower
    3: No changing or drying facilities either, clearly. I don't need to wear shirt/slacks but you'd still want these.

And its ~28km away via the flattest route, which still has some very poor sections (Royal Canal Greenway)

So, erm, I'd need to move house and/or job I imagine. But I take the train anyway. If I moved maybe 15km closer as I want to it'd be on to the bike and cope with the other problems.

Somewhere on the bicycle for all my tools, spare parts, etc. And two other people to help pedal the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Somewhere on the bicycle for all my tools, spare parts, etc. And two other people to help pedal the weight.

It's called a cargo bike ;)

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjjhsf7kIjtAhXB0-0KHb9PDOYYABAEGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_35oMp-Qo7mG28CtkiuRa01L9R5CA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwje07_7kIjtAhUDVBUIHXmfAVgQwg96BAgdEB8&adurl=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

If we had the weather for it I'd cycle to work every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Maybe it's just me but I've never needed to shower really after my 9km or so cycle to work. I just shower at home and then jump on the bike. I don't really go fast or am in a hurry so maybe that makes a difference. They do have really nice showers at work but I only use them sometimes.
    I can understand why it might be necessary on longer commutes going up hills etc.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    160 dry days in Ireland. True, but that cna be rain anywhere in Ireland for it to not be a dry day.

You're taking those figures out of context completely.

Dublin gets approx 130 days of rain per year and is the driest part of the country.

People have it in their head that it's very wet. There are times that even when it has rained, that I'll likely get into work dry as the rain has run off mostly, mudguards and clothes done the rest.

That's the joke - I thought the bit ordering wood in cubits would signal it should be fun!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Decent showers and a dressing room.

Last place was great so I cycled, current one (before covid) has a porta cabin in basement that smells, and so small you can't swing a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

That’s 10% sorted. Where does the other 90 go?

in the trailer of course.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40501245/this-bike-trailer-can-deliver-as-much-cargo-as-a-minivan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Maybe it's just me but I've never needed to shower really after my 9km or so cycle to work. I just shower at home and then jump on the bike.
    as you say, it depends on hills, length, etc.
    the showers where i work are much more powerful than my shower at home anyway, so i'd probably choose to shower in there anyway.
    plus, on my commute in, i climb newtownpark avenue near the end and usually empty the tank up it so a shower is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Tried it for a while. 36km round trip - which is too much for someone not really interested in cycling. Didn't bother when the dark evenings came in then.

Got a single speed just for very short trips which I love. So if my commute was 10km or less, I'd cycle again.

Edit: 10km each way or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don’t have a regular fixed workplace, typically do 80-150km in a working day which often involves moving equipment.

Also drop two kids to separate schools which are 5 & 7 km from the house along dangerous roads so kids couldn’t cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I began cycling to get some exercise a few years ago. I’d be stressed driving home in traffic, in order to get out for an hour after work. Finally realised if I cycled to work a couple of times a week, then the exercise is done. If I get back to the office, I’m hoping the infrastructure improvements will make the cycling commute even more pleasant.

Advertisement