Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max height of single storey extension

Options
  • 14-11-2020 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

I live in a Victorian terraced house. My neighbour is building a (planning exempt/under 40m sq) flat roof ground floor extension up against the wall between our gardens. The side of the extension is built up against what was the shared garden wall. The height of the side wall of the extension (including parapet) will be about 14 meters (there are no plans lodged so I am guessing the finished height once the cap stones are on).

My question is: I have read the regs regarding exempt single and two storey extensions, but can't see any guidelines regarding the maximum permitted height of a single storey extension on a terraced house. The regs state

3. Any above ground floor extension shall be a distance of not less than 2 metres from any party boundary.

4. (a) Where the rear wall of the house does not include a gable, the height of the walls of any such extension shall not exceed the height of the rear wall of the house.

It is a single storey flat roof extension to a 2 storey house, so condition 4a above does not apply, but is there any limit to the height of a single storey extension, especially given condition 3, stating the 2nd level of a 2storey extension would have to be stepped back from the property boundary by 2 meters.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

14m?!? Can you check your figures please

Assuming 14’’ that’s 3.5m.. need to see photos and you’ve to double check dimensions.

Edit: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#sched2

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Sorry, meant 14 feet. I assume there is a parapet which will extend above the finished roof.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

TSQ wrote: »
    I live in a Victorian terraced house. My neighbour is building a (planning exempt/under 40m sq) flat roof ground floor extension up against the wall between our gardens. The side of the extension is built up against what was the shared garden wall. The height of the side wall of the extension (including parapet) will be about 14 meters (there are no plans lodged so I am guessing the finished height once the cap stones are on).

My question is: I have read the regs regarding exempt single and two storey extensions, but can't see any guidelines regarding the maximum permitted height of a single storey extension on a terraced house. The regs state

3. Any above ground floor extension shall be a distance of not less than 2 metres from any party boundary.

4. (a) Where the rear wall of the house does not include a gable, the height of the walls of any such extension shall not exceed the height of the rear wall of the house.

It is a single storey flat roof extension to a 2 storey house, so condition 4a above does not apply, but is there any limit to the height of a single storey extension, especially given condition 3, stating the 2nd level of a 2storey extension would have to be stepped back from the property boundary by 2 meters.

Thanks

Essentially, once they stay single storey they can go up to the eaves (the rain water gutters from the main roof).

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Gumbo wrote: »
    Essentially, once they stay single storey they can go up to the eaves (the rain water gutters from the main roof).

That's mad.

Are they planning on having windows? Building 14 feet up by right beside a shared wall, if they're following the planning regs and not having a window within 1m of the boundary, unless its a very wide garden, they're building a very dark extension.

Is your light going to be blocked by this OP (doesn't apply to light in your garden only applies to light coming in through a window but it does also apply if it will block the light into a shed/greenhouse) if so consider applying for an easement on your light https://www.irishlegal.com/article/georgina-wallace-let-there-be-light
    https://www.prai.ie/registration-of-easements-and-profits-a-prendre-acquired-by-prescription-under-section-49a/

• Advertisement

TSQ wrote: »
    That's mad.

Equally, you can do the same.
    The exemptions are there for all to enjoy.

Are they planning on having windows? Building 14 feet up by right beside a shared wall, if they're following the planning regs and not having a window within 1m of the boundary, unless its a very wide garden, they're building a very dark extension.

Is your light going to be blocked by this OP (doesn't apply to light in your garden only applies to light coming in through a window but it does also apply if it will block the light into a shed/greenhouse) if so consider applying for an easement on your light https://www.irishlegal.com/article/georgina-wallace-let-there-be-light
    https://www.prai.ie/registration-of-easements-and-profits-a-prendre-acquired-by-prescription-under-section-49a/

Plenty of scope to install flat roof lights and large glazing at the rear. Won’t be dark in my experience.

Right to light won’t come into it in my
    Opinion.

Advertisement