Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My dog has bitten someone while on lead.

• 14-11-2020 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys, my dogs has bitten someone I know while on a walk. He was on the lead and the man come around the corner in all black and before I knew it, he bit him. There was no warning at all, no lunging, barking or abnormal behaviour. The man felt the bite as he screamed. I apologised profusely. His trousers had teeth marks. We didn't swap information but now I'm afraid he'll sue in the coming weeks. I was shaking like a leaf. I don't know what to do now.

Mod warning, post #56

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Do you know the man or know where he lives?
    Does he know you? Or where you live? Or can he find out easily?
    Has your dog ever done anything even vaguely similar before, in any circumstances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If he didn't get any info from you than likely nothing will happen.

Obviously the dog should be put down anyway though.

GarIT wrote: »

Would you ever stop, for the love of jebus!
    That is NOT the first port of call in such a dog bite incident, and for you to suggest so is horribly inconsiderate of the OP's feelings and state of mind at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Hahaha what a stupid comment

DBB wrote: »
    Would you ever stop, for the love of jebus!
    That is NOT the first port of call in such a dog bite incident, and for you to suggest so is horribly inconsiderate of the OP's feelings and state of mind at the moment.

Every dog bite incident the only correct resolution is to put it down.

OP should have been more considerate of other people if they want other people to be considerate of their feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

FixitFelix wrote: »

Not really, my mothers dog nipped at a cyclists heels. He complained and the warden came a few days later and the dog was taken away and given to new owners.

Valresnick wrote: »
    Not really, my mothers dog nipped at a cyclists heels. He complained and the warden came a few days later and the dog was taken away and given to new owners.

No chance my dog would be taken for nipping at someone's heels

Every dog bite incident the only correct resolution is to put it down.

No, it's not. I work in the legal end of dog bite cases, and let me assure you, a peaceful, workable and acceptable solution is found in most cases, which does NOT involve the dog being put to sleep.
    In some cases, it's justifiable and the right thing to do. In most cases, it's not.
    So for the love of jebus, stop the scaremongering. It's completely unfair on the op, who has already told us they're frightened of what could happen. You're not helping.

No chance my dog would be taken for nipping at someone's heels

Good for you, but it happened to my mother. She was also threatened with legal action if she didn’t comply. Dogs biting or attacking people is not something that is just brushed over if a person makes a complaint.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Not put down. But the dog should have a muzzle on in a public place. If the dog did this before or tried to do it before then the owner needs to take responsibility.

If it was the firste time then the muzzle should sort the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭13Ballymore

Yes DDB, I know him fairly well. He lives in the same village as I do. He knows who I am too. Never has done anything like that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If you know where the man lives you could call around or drop a note and hope is ok
    Maybe offer to pay for his trousers and a bottle of wine
    Saying sorry and showing you care goes a long way in repairing a hurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Fgs it's a bite. No one died.
    Op do you know the person?
    If so maybe an apology)chocs and maybe he'd do well to leave a person and/their dog know he's coming up behind them in future.

No, it's not. I work in the legal end of dog bite cases, and let me assure you, a peaceful, workable and acceptable solution is found in most cases, which does NOT involve the dog being put to sleep.
    In some cases, it's justifiable and the right thing to do. In most cases, it's not.
    So for the love of jebus, stop the scaremongering. It's completely unfair on the op, who has already told us they're frightened of what could happen. You're not helping.

The only morally acceptable solution to me is for it to be put down. I'm not saying that it will happen, or that it's the legal requirement but it's the right and responsible thing to do.

Limpy wrote: »
    Not put down. But the dog should have a muzzle on in a public place. If the dog did this before or tried to do it before then the owner needs to take responsibility.

If it was the firste time then the muzzle should sort the problem.

Now this is s sensible comment, if the dog is muzzled from now on there won't be a problem, and if victim sees OP has taken action it might end things there.

Either (a) we're not getting the full story here, or (b) the warden abused his powers, because only a judge can make an order on what happens to a dog about which a complaint has been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

What type of dog is it and how old os it.
    . i would second the calling around to the persons house and apologising

The only morally acceptable solution to me is for it to be put down. I'm not saying that it will happen, or that it's the legal requirement but it's the right and responsible thing to do.

In your opinion.
    Fortunately, your opinion does not count when it comes to making sensible and fair decisions in the courts.
    Again, you're just not helping.

Gar wants to put a dog down after one incident, and then talk about doing the morally right thing:)

Obviously trolling

My mothers dog was rehoused. He got out twice from her garden and chased cyclists. Warden said legal proceedings would occur if they refused to give the dog up. Also, they never suggested putting it down at any stage.

• Advertisement

Either (a) we're not getting the full story here, or (b) the warden abused his powers, because only a judge can make an order on what happens to a dog about which a complaint has been made.

Legal action was threatened so my mother just complied ! Not worth the hassle !

If so maybe an apology)chocs and maybe he'd do well to leave a person and/their dog know he's coming up behind them in future.

The man came around a corner , how would he know a person and dog were coming ?

Gar wants to put a dog down after one incident, and then talk about doing the morally right thing:)

Obviously trolling

I just think people should be protected from dogs that have proven itself to be dangerous. If it has done it once unexpectedly it can do it again unexpectedly.

He's a young dog, 16 months old and unneutered. Yeah I think I will call around to him and apologise for my dog's behaviour

I just think people should be protected from dogs that have proven itself to be dangerous. If it has done it once unexpectedly it can do it again unexpectedly.

So instead of suggesting a muzzle or a shorter leash, your first step is to kill the dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Then deal with the aggression so it wont happen again.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I was bitten as a kid by a terrier. It was Very painfull. Ended up with a visit to the hospital to get a needle in the bum.

Anytime im alone passing dogs I think about it. Its something that stays with you. This was a dog who the owner's never kept the gates closed, so I blame them. It annoys me so much when owner's don't Keep the dogs away from the public, be it runner's, cyclists ect.

Being honest OP i think the dog should be muzzled , what if it was a small child or a elderly person ?

Yeah, the dog now has a taste for trousers, no telling where it might end up. Cardigans?

Op - a muzzle for the dog and an apology to the guy who was bitten. Probably not much more you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Suggesting the dog be put down because of one small isolated incident is absolutely ridiculous. Imagine if we held humans to the same standard as that, the world population would be minuscule.

I would second the previous suggestion of sending over a bottle of wine and a note apologising, and offer to pay for repairs or a new pair of trousers if necessary. A little bit of effort and acknowledgement will go a long way in situations like this.

dashoonage wrote: »
    Then deal with the aggression so it wont happen again.

If it was unexpected and sudden like the OP said doesn't seem like there was aggression.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Suggesting the dog be put down because of one small isolated incident is absolutely ridiculous. Imagine if we held humans to the same standard as that, the world population would be minuscule.

I would second the previous suggestion of sending over a bottle of wine and a note apologising, and offer to pay for repairs or a new pair of trousers if necessary. A little bit of effort and acknowledgement will go a long way in situations like this.

It's not a human though.

Legal action was threatened so my mother just complied ! Not worth the hassle !

Maybe if your mother thought the dog wasn't worth fighting for she shouldn't have a dog in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Perhaps you should have suggested a tetanus injection or booster to injured party before worrying about being sued?

The injured party has every right to sue under Tort which is why our lecturer ( who was author of a leading academic Text on Tort) advised dog owners to be insured for this probability.

Thees arich neighbour of mine, thankfully not next door ( a blow in who thinks he owns the area) whose dog but me. When he saw this he immediately twisted things around and falsely claimed I tried to kick his vicious terrier whereas I was just trying to keep the dog at bay and never touched the dog. He obviously thought I was going to sue but I never said I would and nor did I. Some people are quite nasty. Such a dreadful man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Yes. The OP should call around to this mans house and bring him a bell to wear around his neck so that the dog will know he’s approaching in future.

• Advertisement

So instead of suggesting a muzzle or a shorter leash, your first step is to kill the dog?

A muzzle could work if the owner can be trusted to make sure it's put on.

It's not a human though.

It’s not the point. If you threw a slap at someone because you got a fright, were in pain, or felt threatened, would you expect receiving the death penalty to be a reasonable course of action?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

My mothers dog was rehoused. He got out twice from her garden and chased cyclists. Warden said legal proceedings would occur if they refused to give the dog up. Also, they never suggested putting it down at any stage.

Your dog was voluntarily surrendered to the warden, not taken by the warden.

It may seem like semantics but that’s what happened.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It’s not the point. If you threw a slap at someone because you got a fright, were in pain, or felt threatened, would you expect receiving the death penalty to be a reasonable course of action?

It is the point. People have value and can't be easily replaced. People can learn from their mistakes with rehabilitation. I do actually think any violence towards another person should carry a minimum 5 year sentence but that's another issue.

Maybe if your mother thought the dog wasn't worth fighting for she shouldn't have a dog in the first place.

Maybe she just couldn’t take the emotional strain. Seeing him in the dock, the prison visits, denied parole hearings.... would ya get out ta....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

He's a young dog, 16 months old and unneutered. Yeah I think I will call around to him and apologise for my dog's behaviour

What. Breed of dog?
    You sound like you were Dog owner before.
    Hopefully it was a nip and the nippe doesn’t want to proceed with anything

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Your dog was voluntarily surrendered to the warden, not taken by the warden.

It may seem like semantics but that’s what happened.

You’re very perceptive !

None of these comments are helpful except for DBB and one other. It was the FIRST TIME he's ever done anything like this. I came here looking for information and guidance on what to do going forward, not about euthanasia and the dog should have being muzzled already etc. I know what he's did is dangerous, I'm not denying that but I also know that one bite is not enough for forced euthanasia.

Maybe she just couldn’t take the emotional strain. Seeing him in the dock, the prison visits, denied parole hearings.... would ya get out ta....

Yeah somethings not adding up about your story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Perhaps you should have suggested a tetanus injection or booster to injured party before worrying about being sued?

The injured party has every right to sue under Tort which is why our lecturer ( who was author of a leading academic Text on Tort) advised dog owners to be insured for this probability.

Thees arich neighbour of mine, thankfully not next door ( a blow in who thinks he owns the area) whose dog but me. When he saw this he immediately twisted things around and falsely claimed I tried to kick his vicious terrier whereas I was just trying to keep the dog at bay and never touched the dog. He obviously thought I was going to sue but I never said I would and nor did I. Some people are quite nasty. Such a dreadful man. Not one bit apologetic but aggressively defensive

He's a border collie. I've had dogs all my life so I have a little bit of experience.

Yeah somethings not adding up about your story

What more would you like to know my friend ? Making up dog attack stories is my forte !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i remember doing a delivery a few years back ,pulled into drive way, went to side of van to get parcel out, the front door of house opened and immediately a dog ran out towards me ,the owner shouted "don't worry he doesn't bite", the first thing he did was bite me put 2 holes in my trousers but didn't break the skin, the owner was a lady so apologetic she was nearly in tears, i felt sorry for her, i said don't worry about it , got a phone call a hour later the lady again apologising , she got my number from my work, go round and apologise op it will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

He's a border collie. I've had dogs all my life so I have a little bit of experience.

A very intelligent and energetic dog, does he get a suitable amount of exercise?

It is the point. People have value and can't be easily replaced. People can learn from their mistakes with rehabilitation. I do actually think any violence towards another person should carry a minimum 5 year sentence but that's another issue.

All living things hold value, not just humans. Dogs are just as capable of having an out of character reaction to a situation as we humans are.
    If you wouldn’t sentence a human to death for it I can’t understand why you would think it’s acceptable to do that to an animal.
    Animals don’t act out of spite or maliciousness like we do, the dog snapped for a reason and OP needs to get to the bottom of that reason.
    Animals can also be rehabilitated with training if necessary, but this does just sound like an out of character one off incident to me though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement