Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My dog has bitten someone while on lead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭13Ballymore

Yes he does, gets plenty of exercise. Normally 1 hour 15 mins walk and about 30 mins playing fetch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Am a bit conflicted on this. Obviously putting down the dog would be terrible and I think unnecessary.
    But biting is bad. To leave holes in the trousers is not a nip. It is a proper bite.
    What if it had been a child in a pushchair or a toddler who had startled the dog. When I was a child a class mate was bit on the face by a dog and it was life changing for her.

I don't know what I would do in this case. Muzzle seems like the very least necessity. Maybe walks only in areas where there are no people. Or get a proper trainer. I would be concerned if it was my dog. A dog that bites is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

GarIT wrote: »
    Every dog bite incident the only correct resolution is to put it down.

OP should have been more considerate of other people if they want other people to be considerate of their feelings.

You're right, once a dog gets the taste of..*checks notes* black trouser leg, a canine killing spree is inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

SusieBlue wrote: »
    All living things hold value, not just humans. Dogs are just as capable of having an out of character reaction to a situation as we humans are.
    If you wouldn’t sentence a human to death for it I can’t understand why you would think it’s acceptable to do that to an animal.
    Animals don’t act out of spite or maliciousness like we do, the dog snapped for a reason and OP needs to get to the bottom of that reason.
    Animals can also be rehabilitated with training if necessary, but this does just sound like an out of character one off incident to me though.

If it's ok to kill cattle why isn't it ok to kill a dog? And I disagree about all living things having value, in that not all living things are equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

This thread is attracting a high number of posts, some of which are from posters who have never posted in this forum before. If I think anyone is trolling the OP I will not spare the banhammer. If you are not addressing the OPs post directly and with consideration to his/her emotional state, please do not post. Let’s also have no more talk about killing dogs or having them rehomed.

Thanks,
    CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Yes he does, gets plenty of exercise. Normally 1 hour 15 mins walk and about 30 mins playing fetch.

Can I ask if you live in a town or in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

GarIT wrote: »
    If it's ok to kill cattle why isn't it ok to kill a dog? And I disagree about all living things having value. I'm quite attached to my phone but if it broke I'd bin it and buy a new one, same with any other object like a dog, if it's broken bin it and get a new one.

That’s a disgusting attitude, they are not disposable inanimate objects and should not be treated as such. You should not be a pet owner if your first port of call would be to ‘bin it’ if it was ‘broken’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

It hurts my heart to see people suggest the best course of action to to end the dog's life.

I'm currently dealing with my own pet dog who is dealing with a mysterious yet very painful health issue that has caused his behaviour to be effected. However, I recognize that dogs are not perfect, emotionless beings, so I treat him with respect and a special awareness for his needs right now, as any dog would deserve if they felt the need to protect themselves for whatever reason.

OP, your dog is not a bad dog, 16 months can be a difficult time for a Collie (or any dog, really), no dog is perfect, dogs have bad days, you never know what your dog could have gone through the entire day. For all you know, him getting spooked by a banger a few hours earlier could have led to his sudden unexpected (for you) reaction, trigger stacking is a thing, where a number of small incidences during a day can lead to a sudden 'explosion' at something seemingly minor.

Just take it as a learning experience. You will do better in future having learnt and understood something new about your dog. Again, your dog is not a bad dog.

It's not a bad idea to pay the individual a visit tomorrow (after things have cooled down a little). If you feel you need help with understanding your dog's needs and/or body language, don't be afraid to reach for professional help.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The dog and the guy he bit need to have a drink together, best solution, I'm serious. You need to build a bond between him and dog, if you live in same village. Dogs bond fast, when food or drink are involved.

?width=580&version=3268939

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

The dog and the guy he bit need to have a drink together, best solution, I'm serious. You need to build a bond between him and dog, if you live in same village. Dogs bond fast, when food or drink are involved.

?width=580&version=3268939

That’s not a bad idea in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Is it on the dangerous breeds list? If so and it wasn’t muzzled you could be in big trouble

Piehead wrote: »
    Is it on the dangerous breeds list? If so and it wasn’t muzzled you could be in big trouble

Border Collie, one of the most intelligent and caring dogs you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Seemingly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^Thats brilliant^ (the old man and dog with pint)

Seemingly not.

Dog got startled , one of those things. A dog can bite it's owner when stuck up on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

OP, you haven't said at what point in your walk the incident happened. Was it at the beginning of that hour plus when he was hyped, or towards the middle or end? Different dynamics inside the doggy brain. Also, for such a high-energy dog, that seems like a barely sufficient amount of outdoor time. If you're near south Dublin, Wonder Paws have a secure running field that would give him a lot more space to run. A lunge-lead for a horse is what I use in a local green area for my smallish dog, and it gives her so much more scope for exploration.
    A behaviourist is a good idea. So is a big box of cakes for the neighbour and an apology, plus a 'sorry' card from Nipper. If the trousers were damaged, restitution is in order, be it mending or a new garment.
    Get yourself and the dog high-vis jackets so that other people see you from a bit further away.

Well done on taking responsibility for your dog and his behaviour. They can be challenging but that is because smart dogs think for themselves and put themselves between their person and perceived danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

He's a border collie. I've had dogs all my life so I have a little bit of experience.

Give the dog a yellow card
    Check in with the person that was bitten and make sure everything is ok.
    Collie do have a tendency to be abit snappy.
    If he does it again it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Bowlardo banned for a month for personal abuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

The solution to this problem is very simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭delboythedub

Hi guys, my dogs has bitten someone I know while on a walk. He was on the lead and the man come around the corner in all black and before I knew it, he bit him. There was no warning at all, no lunging, barking or abnormal behaviour. The man felt the bite as he screamed. I apologised profusely. His trousers had teeth marks. We didn't swap information but now I'm afraid he'll sue in the coming weeks. I was shaking like a leaf. I don't know what to
    Muzzled from now on.

• Advertisement

Valresnick wrote: »
    Not really, my mothers dog nipped at a cyclists heels. He complained and the warden came a few days later and the dog was taken away and given to new owners.

What?

But protective as well. The family unit is it's family and it will defend that family.

Love collies. Fantastic with the kids.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi again op,
    A few people have suggested a good course of action in cases like this, where a dog has bitten, it's a first offence, and nobody was hurt.
    Just to sum them up in one post, with a few extra suggestions:
    Armed with a box of buns and a bottle of wine/whiskey, head to the man's house with a peace offering, offer to replace damaged clothing and to pay for a doctor's visit if he needs to get a tetanus shot, and outline to him the steps you intend to take to make sure this can't happen again. Muzzling with a basket style muzzle is a priority now, and I would suggest that you look up videos that show you how to teach a dog to happily wear a muzzle. The basket-style muzzle allows the dog to breathe properly, to pant, to drink etc, but critically, is an effective muzzle, as is required under the dog control legislation... emphasis on the word effective, because if the dog is wearing a muzzle that still allows him to bite, it's not an effective muzzle (eg, people use headcollars on their restricted breeds in the misguided belief it'll do as a muzzle. It won't)
    In my experience, dog wardens like to see owners being pro-active about a recurrence, in cases where nobody was hurt, and the dog hasn't "come to their attention" before. That's assuming that the man makes a complaint. Hopefully he won't after your pro-active apology, buns, and wine :D
    No harm to make absolutely sure your paperwork is in order... make sure you have your dog's license up to date, and make sure you've got his Certificate of Microchipping to hand. Make sure your fencing is secure and that your dog cannot get out of your premises. In other words, don't give the warden any extra excuses to pull you up on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hope I will not be banned, but so be it if I am. There is a gorgeous park right at the back of my house. Finding it a bit hard to go there now because of the number of unleashed dogs.

I understand the OP dog was on the leash, but ALL dogs should be unless they are in the countryside where they are not a threat to anyone else.

Should be segregated spaces for dog walkers and humans imo. Right now. Everyone is happy then right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

DBB wrote: »
    if he needs to get a tetanus shot.

Oh goodness yes, great point about the tetanus shot.

Have been reading this thread and wondering what I would do in this scenario and the thought of a tetanus shot wouldn't have even entered my head if you hadn't mentioned it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Should be segregated spaces for dog walkers and humans imo. Right now. Everyone is happy then right?

Hold on a minute .... you think there should be segregated spaces for dog walkers who have their dogs on leads? Are you for real or have I misunderstood your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Ignore the simple trolls. Apologise to man with bottle of wine or whisky. Train dog to walk at your side and not pull on the lead. He should already be neutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Oh goodness yes, great point about the tetanus shot.

Have been reading this thread and wondering what I would do in this scenario and the thought of a tetanus shot wouldn't have even entered my head if you hadn't mentioned it

Dog bite (when skin in broken) requires a tetanus (if none in previous 10 years) and a course of antibiotics.

What?

Ok,

Dog got out, nipped at cyclists heals. Cyclist was not happy. Complaint put in, Warden arrived, legal action threatened, dog rehoused in remote location as mother didn’t want anymore trouble !

Would you like anything else ? Times, dates, GPS coordinates?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Hope I will not be banned, but so be it if I am. There is a gorgeous park right at the back of my house. Finding it a bit hard to go there now because of the number of unleashed dogs.

I understand the OP dog was on the leash, but ALL dogs should be unless they are in the countryside where they are not a threat to anyone else.

What has any of that got to do with the OPs situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Valresnick wrote: »
    Ok,

Dog got out, nipped at cyclists heals. Cyclist was not happy. Complaint put in, Warden arrived, legal action threatened, dog rehoused in remote location as mother didn’t want anymore trouble !

Would you like anything else ? Times, dates, GPS coordinates?

Was the dog okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

auspicious wrote: »
    Ignore the simple trolls. Apologise to man with bottle of wine or whisky. Train dog to walk at your side and not pull on the lead. He should already be neutered.

Neutering? Why? I agree with the bottle of Whisky though.

Definitely go visit the man and bring a gift.

If you are keeping the dog just accept he can’t be trusted around anyone.

Dog bites someone, shame on the dog.
    Dog bites another person, Shame on the owner.

I’ve seen this a few times, where dogs were given a second chance. Hindsight is a great thing, but I can remember two different scenarios where dogs were given second chances only to go on a reoffend.

I have a permanent scar on my hand to prove it.

Why?

First off, the countryside has sheep and livestock

Second, it's as much the dog walkers park as it is yours

Dobt take me wrong Spanish, I'm actually nervous around strange dogs too but in 15 years of walking my dog I have never been bitten in the park. Dog walkers know their dogs. This was a freak occurrence.

Outside of the scobbie and his dog who wont over the rules anyway and in that case, the week mannered dogs are protection

Dog walkers know their dogs.

Absolute BS
    I always walk my dog on the lead, and every time we leave the house another dog who was being walked off their lead ends up running over to us. The owner is always never very near. How does this owner control their dog when they are nowhere near it. Every single time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OP, a bit late to this but just want to add my 2 cents.

We've just gone through the most prolonged fireworks/Halloween season that I can remember, and I personally know 2 dogs that are now refusing to go for their walks in the dark because they are terrified that fireworks will still be going off. Both happen to be collie crosses and while lots of breeds are affected by fireworks, IMO I do think collies are particularly sensitive to noise stimulation. It is possible that your dog may still be feeling the after effects of Halloween and is on edge when on a walk, particularly in the dark.

It might be worth getting a behaviourist to visit with you and observe his actions as it might pinpoint something that you might not be seeing. Collies are exceptionally intelligent and have a great work drive and are so eager to please -that while you might not even notice it, he could be very nervous when walking right now - which could have lead to this particular incident.

In the interim, I would definitely get him muzzle trained, to be on the safe side. Ideally you could try walking him during daylight hours, but that is easier said than done in the middle of winter. I would also contact the man he nipped and follow up to make sure there is no lasting injuries or issues, and also to reiterate that you are taking steps to ensure the situation never happens again.

Just on the neutering - it's not something worth rushing into until he's seen by a behaviourist. Neutering isn't a cure all. Some dogs are more nervous than others and removing the testosterone can take the small bit of confidence they do have. That said, some dogs are more inclined to be a bit more combative and act before they think, neutering diminishes their over confidence just enough that they might take a step back before taking a step forward and biting.

If anyone wants a look at reckless dog owners take a stroll on Dollymount beach, also if you want to see even more walk into the biosphere nature reserve parallel to the beach and watch the dogs roaming free to chase the nesting birds and seals at the end of the beach. Plus the huge amounts of dog crap bags left behind each day. It’s staggering how irresponsible some dog owners are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Sorry for your predicament OP. I believe you have reason to be concerned about legal action regarding this incident. I would suggest you make an appointment with a solicitor to discuss at the earliest opportunity. Do not ‘go with a bottle of whiskey’ to the victim of your dogs aggressive behaviour unless and until a solicitor okays it. It would be construed as an admission of guilt.
    You have a lot to lose and to be honest your dog would only be the start of it.

Put yourself on the other end of a dog attack - how would you feel if this man had a dog and it attacked your sheep? Would you be happy getting ‘a bottle of whiskey’ and no further action or would you have reached for a shotgun if the dog was still on your farm after the attack?

Coming on here to discuss the matter may not have been wise given previous posts about the same animals behaviour, in March of this year. Which for me put your predicament in a completely different light. If the victim goes to a solicitor they wouldn’t be long putting these bits of information, which are in the public realm, together.
    Hey everyone, I have a 9 month old collie, I'm trying to train. I'm teaching him his commands. He has all commands away from the sheep such as lie, stay, here etc. I have being walking him through the sheep and trying to get him used to them. But he's demented every time I bring him near the sheep. He's on a lead and no amount of commands will stop him. He's pure mad. Any tips to get him used to sheep.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112996249&postcount=1

Best of luck with the situation you find yourself in, hope it works out well for all parties concerned.

minikin wrote: »
    Do not ‘go with a bottle of whiskey’ to the victim of your dogs aggressive behaviour unless and until a solicitor okays it. It would be construed as an admission of guilt.

Jesus Christ. A solicitor to give a green light to visit a man to check he’s ok. This is how these situations have been resolved since the dawn of man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Sorry for your predicament OP. I believe you have reason to be concerned about legal action regarding this incident. I would suggest you make an appointment with a solicitor to discuss at the earliest opportunity. Do not ‘go with a bottle of whiskey’ to the victim of your dogs aggressive behaviour unless and until a solicitor okays it. It would be construed as an admission of guilt.
    You have a lot to lose and to be honest your dog would only be the start of it.

Put yourself on the other end of a dog attack - how would you feel if this man had a dog and it attacked your sheep? Would you be happy getting ‘a bottle of whiskey’ and no further action or would you have reached for a shotgun if the dog was still on your farm after the attack?

Coming on here to discuss the matter may not have been wise given previous posts about the same animals behaviour, in March of this year. Which for me put your predicament in a completely different light. If the victim goes to a solicitor they wouldn’t be long putting these bits of information, which are in the public realm, together.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112996249&postcount=1

Best of luck with the situation you find yourself in, hope it works out well for all parties concerned.

This comparison is completely out of context. For a dog to attack sheep it must be allowed roam/off lead/not in effectual control. Which in itself is against the laws of dog ownership. In the OPs instance the dog was on lead, unable to carry out a sustained attack. What you are misinterpreting as an attack was a single reactive bite.

Even in your trawl of the OPs posts, he states the dog is on lead, lots of dogs get agitated when they see livestock so I don't get your point at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The decent thing to do is check on the man, no presents just care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

DBB wrote: »
    Would you ever stop, for the love of jebus!
    That is NOT the first port of call in such a dog bite incident, and for you to suggest so is horribly inconsiderate of the OP's feelings and state of mind at the moment.

The OP's feelings are secondary....
    Having random members of the public not being attacked is the primary concern.
    Sorry but it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I love my dog. If he ever did that though he’d be put down, end of story.

Jesus Christ. A solicitor to give a green light to visit a man to check he’s ok. This is how these situations have been resolved since the dawn of man.

That’s a great sentiment in a world where nobody ever got sued for their dog attacking livestock/humans. Unfortunately this is not such a world. Do a quick google for ‘dog bite legal action Ireland’ and you’ll find no shortage of very expensive rewards and very unwise reactions by dog owners. In one case in recent years the judge threw the book at an owner after they refused to turn the dog over to the dog warden, after their german shepherd had bitten an eight year old child. Reward : €25,000.

So yeah, I understand where some animal lovers on here are coming from with their defensiveness of the animal but that could land the OP in a world of legal and financial pain if they take such advice.

The OP will ultimately be helped more by sound (legal) advice rather than by supportive ‘echo-chamber’ comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭gifted

Have to agree......dog did it once so it could do it again, might be a child next time. Not worth the risk waiting to find out if it would bite again. And what if it did and the bitten person found out that your dog had bitten someone before?

• Advertisement

That’s a great sentiment in a world where nobody ever got sued for their dog attacking livestock/humans. Unfortunately this is not such a world. Do a quick google for ‘dog bite legal action Ireland’ and you’ll find no shortage of very expensive rewards and very unwise reactions by dog owners. In one case in recent years the judge threw the book at an owner after they refused to turn the dog over to the dog warden, after their german shepherd had bitten an eight year old child.

So yeah, I understand where some animal lovers on here are coming from with their defensiveness of the animal but that could land the OP in a world of legal and financial pain if they take such advice.

The OP will ultimately be helped more by sound (legal) advice rather than by supportive ‘echo-chamber’ comments.

I don’t need to google anything.
    Checking up on the man is the decent thing to do. The OP does not dispute that their dog bit the man.
    Checking the man is ok is not an admission of anything.
    A solicitor is not required unless the victim takes action.
    And a visit by the op might be the difference between a friendly chat, or further action. It definitely won’t make things worse

Can you link a case where the unwise action of the dog owner was that they had checked up on the victim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

You don't love your dog so.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Oh my god all these do gooders. So the man appeared around a corner and the dog got a fright. And nipped him. These people who say put the dog down for a nip. They truthfully do not love dogs.
    So just answer this. What happens to a person who frightens/ startles a person and that person swings and hits them. Should they be put down.

I don’t need to google anything.
    Checking up on the man is the decent thing to do. The OP does not dispute that their dog bit the man.
    Checking the man is ok is not an admission of anything.
    A solicitor is not required unless the victim takes action.
    And a visit by the op might be the difference between a friendly chat, or further action. It definitely won’t make things worse

You’re not facing potential legal / financial repercussions in this instance, so yes of course you don’t “need” to google anything... it’s just that sometimes these discussions are enlightened with ‘more information’ rather than ‘more feelings’.

I have no axe to grind here, I’m not pro or anti dogs as pets but I do feel owners should ALWAYS have 100% control of their animals where there is any potential for harm to people or other animals. That avoids all injuries and all legal repercussions. Which is what the OP came on here worried about, if we’re to stick to the point of the thread.

You’re not facing potential legal / financial repercussions in this instance, so yes of course you don’t “need” to google anything... it’s just that sometimes these discussions are enlightened with ‘more information’ rather than ‘more feelings’.

I have no axe to grind here, I’m not pro or anti dogs as pets but I do feel owners should ALWAYS have 100% control of their animals where there is any potential for harm to people or other animals. That avoids all injuries and all legal repercussions. Which is what the OP came on here worried about, if we’re to stick to the point of the thread.

No axe to grind?
    Yet you trawled through the ops previous posts to make an argument

Nice one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement