Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

riclad wrote: »
    Do kids still play conkers in the autumn ,
    Or do they just look at phone screens and make tik toks .
    no one was bullied on social media or insulted by weirdo,s .
    Theres an article almost every day on daily mail uk,
    celeb x ,i was bullied or insulted by online trolls, it s usually women .
    Theres billions of people on the web ,of course some of them are creeps who hate women +
    copying tapes on a double tape ghetto blaster stereo.
    Waiting with the pause button on a tape recorder to to record the top 20 songs on cassette tapes trying to avoid taping the dj,s intro .
    making mixtapes on cd or cassette of your favourite songs.
    random programs in the 70s, or the 80,s on rte tv presented by a priest which were unwatchable by anyone under the age of 50.

What about spitting pearl barley through a biro tube at the nerd in the class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

1. Decent Cadbury chocolate
    2. Taking a beating from a school teacher
    3. being afraid to come out as gay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

1. The slow set
    2. Ringing a radio station to make a request for a song for your friends.
    3. Crisps like hot dog flavoured crun choos
    4. Heading of god knows where during the summer
    5. Walking the tracks home after being in good time Charlie's in howth
    6. Trying to get a taxi home from town on a rainy Friday or Saturday night after the nightclub. Plenty of long walks from the city centre to fairview hoping to catch a taxi on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

PGE1970 wrote: »
    They are not gathering dust. They are an investment!

In my mother's attic (I am 50!), there are still vinyl copies of New Order 12"s, vinyl albums from The Smiths, Lloyd Cole, The Waterboys, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Jesus & Mary Chain, Stone Roses, The Cure etc to copies of Nik Kershaw, Now Thats What I Call Music and pop singles all bought before I got my first CD player in 1991.

I also have Undertones albums, a colour sleeve album from That Petrol Emotion and loads of other Irish rock/indie stuff.

They will either be worth a fortune or won't be worth scrap.

I'm not sure yet! :D

It would do no harm maybe in getting the Record Collector magazine or I'd presume you could get them valued online if you have the catalogue numbers of the records, they would have to be in mint condition though for you to make any sort of money from them.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Floppybits wrote: »
    1. The slow set
    2. Ringing a radio station to make a request for a song for your friends.
    3. Crisps like hot dog flavoured crun choos
    4. Heading of god knows where during the summer
    5. Walking the tracks home after being in good time Charlie's in howth
    6. Trying to get a taxi home from town on a rainy Friday or Saturday night after the nightclub. Plenty of long walks from the city centre to fairview hoping to catch a taxi on the way.

good time charlies? how young are you. It was called Saints in my day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Spud guns:pac: They were great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

And Pea Shooters both the guns and the blow pipes - acknowledging that firing pearl barley through a bic biro has already been mentioned (imagine that with Covid).

Then there were cap bombs where you put a cap under a firing pin and through the bomb up in the air so it landed on hard surface and made a bang.

Wake me up when it's all over.

And Pea Shooters both the guns and the blow pipes - acknowledging that firing pearl barley through a bic biro has already been mentioned (imagine that with Covid).

Then there were cap bombs where you put a cap under a firing pin and through the bomb up in the air so it landed on hard surface and made a bang.

Did you ever make the ones with two M6 Gutter bolts bolted into the same nut and the space in between filled with the sulphur peeled from red match heads :pac::pac: Great bang from them:D

Banging caps in the Thursday evening film run by the Christian Brothers, caps were banned but we always snook some in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

My wife's friends 13 year old daughter doesn't know how to turn on an oven or butter bread. I do blame the (single) mother but I fear there is a generation coming up that don't have basic skills in self sufficiency. They are more concerned with men having periods

I work in retail and there is an amazing amount of current teenagers who cant count out money.

Worse still the "older" college going workers cant figure out the change a customer is owed unless the till tells them. I've seen one even get out a pen and paper to work it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Clothes peg guns made from elastic bands. And a bow and arrow from a wavin pipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Did you ever make the ones with two M6 Gutter bolts bolted into the same nut and the space in between filled with the sulphur peeled from red match heads :pac::pac: Great bang from them:D

Banging caps in the Thursday evening film run by the Christian Brothers, caps were banned but we always snook some in.

We did that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The insides of the windows were wet with condensation.
    Hot water bottles were a necessity.

Then we upgraded to oil filled heaters in our bedrooms. No point just turning it on, the heat would leave the room just as quick, so we'd wheel the heater beside the bed and throw the duvet over it.

Bout last February my central heating went. Fûck ! It’s a modern enough gas system so when you are icicles cold and hitting the switch, to you wearing a T-shirt is only 15-20 minutes, it’s savage but without it...ffffffffffûck..

I rediscovered the joy, warmth, convenience and comfort of hot water bottles, bought four for the beds and the fifth which I had I just had on the chair with me like a proper auld lad.

Went again last week, need a new boiler which is here next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Collecting ice pop sticks and digging the tar from the middle of the road, gluing them together to make all sorts of flying triangles and squares. Killy and moul using a small shore to play your coin from to "lay out" so the next person had to hit your coin to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's called helicopter parenting , it's been around for 20
    years, some parents try and do everything for kids.
    Then when the kids leave home they find it hard to do simple things like cooking .
    Its always was hard to get a taxi on Saturday or Friday night
    at least it was before covid shut down all the pubs and clubs
    Living in flats in rathmines, there would be one phone
    in the hallway you, d putting coins in to phone someone
    I don't think kids play marbles anymore
    they have phones with fortnite on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I bought a copy of this on release, never played it, and discovered when opening it to check its integrity that it has two insert books by mistake with it.

Never been played with two books, i wonder what its worth.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1089302328

About €75. Don't think the second booklet enhances it too much.
    I bought it on release too; played a few times. Like All You Can't Leave Behind, the CD has an extra track.

Zooropa used to be the rarest as it sold very few copies on vinyl. Prices have come down a bit. I bought it in Top 20 Kilkenny. Had to pre-order the vinyl from the late Willie Meighan. They just got two copies in. About 250 CDs and cassettes. The other person never collected their album so I bought it as well about a week later.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I have an early DVD copy of Bladerunner that has two sides on it. One was wide-screen, and the other was old-fashioned TV sized (I can't even remember what that was called 14:9? Pan and scan?).

Fullscreen or 4:3

Clothes peg guns made from elastic bands. And a bow and arrow from a wavin pipe.

they could leave a nice little mark if you made them properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Black and white TV

riclad wrote: »
    It's called helicopter parenting , it's been around for 20
    years, some parents try and do everything for kids.
    Then when the kids leave home they find it hard to do simple things like cooking .
    Its always was hard to get a taxi on Saturday or Friday night
    at least it was before covid shut down all the pubs and clubs

Living in flats in rathmines, there would be one phone
    in the hallway you, d putting coins in to phone someone
    I don't think kids play marbles anymore
    they have phones with fortnite on them

not even close to how hard it was before they deregulated the taxis in dublin. You could be waiting 2 hours at the rank.

PGE1970 wrote: »
    They are not gathering dust. They are an investment!

In my mother's attic (I am 50!), there are still vinyl copies of New Order 12"s, vinyl albums from The Smiths, Lloyd Cole, The Waterboys, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Jesus & Mary Chain, Stone Roses, The Cure etc to copies of Nik Kershaw, Now Thats What I Call Music and pop singles all bought before I got my first CD player in 1991.

I also have Undertones albums, a colour sleeve album from That Petrol Emotion and loads of other Irish rock/indie stuff.

They will either be worth a fortune or won't be worth scrap.

I'm not sure yet! :D

www.discogs.com and check the sales history. It lists individual pressings so easy to work out which one you have.

General rule - if it's a common title that sold a lot of copies on vinyl then not worth too much unless near mint. Obviously there are exceptions.

Or else the Rare Record Price Guide book issued by Record Collector (UK and some Irish pressings only)

To be honest, '90s vinyl is where it's at in terms of rarity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

spook_cook wrote: »
    I reckon I was five years old when my parents first sent me to the shop to buy them fags. All the kids on the street did likewise. I still remember a 10 box of Silk Cut Blue was about 90p leaving a nice wedge for ten penny sweets. I imagine parents who did that nowadays would be imprisoned.

One of our local shops sold loose cigarettes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

Include a self addressed stamped envelope.

I heard that phrase so much as a child the first time I tried to buy an envelope in a post office I asked for a stamped addressed envelope like a thick. “You’ll have to address it yourself” was the response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

What about stink bombs ? In the desks where you raise the seat we would put a few under the hinges when we were moving class. Then when the next class moved in there would be the most awful stink.
    In the local cinema there was a 9 inch gap on the top of the wall between the gents and ladies toilets. We would **** a few stink bombs or bangers over the gap and then stroll innocently back to our seats and await the bang/stink and screaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

The smell of p*ss in phoneboxes... :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Spud guns:pac: They were great fun.
    The red metal ones could also use caps or be a water pistol.

But were only ever used with spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Missions at mass, time to buy cheap plastic crap from stalls in the car park.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Floppybits wrote: »
    New Years Eve in town.

Walking home because you weren't going to get a taxi for ages.

The Bewleys in South Great George's Street that used to stay open till way late.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Do yiz remember when some of the radio stations would run a competition where they'd phone a random number every hour and if you answered with "I listen to Classic Hits 98fm" or whatever station it was, you'd win £20 or something crap like that?

Lol silly ad from the seventies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

[video removed]
    That reminds of this 70s' classic

In the racially and culturally homogeneous Ireland of the 1970s this was a vision of a multicultural paradise but who knew it had been conceived by Don Draper all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

THE FAST SHOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

That's Barry from Last of The Summer Wine.

There's a generation that hasn't grown up with having to wait a week to see a favourite programme, in a two-channel land.

Strumms wrote: »
    I miss buying physical music. Yes the accessibility of Spotify is amazingly brilliant but I loved spending 40 minutes in the old tower records in Wicklow St.. trawling shelves... Virgin megastore on the Champs Elysses ( you’d need 2 hours ), Fargo and FNAC in Paris, and HMV Oxford St...

There is nothing like buying physical formats - I have been doing it for almost 40 years and have no intention of stopping. Not sure why people say they "miss it" when record shops still exist, the reissues market is flooded with new product, special editions and a huge second market exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

There is nothing like buying physical formats - I have been doing it for almost 40 years and have no intention of stopping. Not sure why people say they "miss it" when record shops still exist, the reissues market is flooded with new product, special editions and a huge second market exists.

I bought Nirvana Nevermind on 12" yesterday in Harvey Norman of all places.

I'd normally head into Spindizzy.. but in these times, its take what you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Loved the show when Uaneen Fitzsimons presented it in particular... it wasn’t like some indie schmindy rock show presenter talking down to their audience, more like a mate who loved music too sharing their discoveries and loves...

I loved that there was no sticking to any genre. First place I ever encountered Aphex Twin.

• Advertisement

Nighthawks.

not even close to how hard it was before they deregulated the taxis in dublin. You could be waiting 2 hours at the rank.

It was grim before deregulation. I remember if I was out Friday or Saturday at a gig in Dublin city, over around 11ish, no fûcking way am I hanging around in the city for drinks, it’s straight in a cab and back to the local.

That feeling, in January / February... 1am, scouring Dame St for half an hour or wherever with an eye on a car with a yellow light on the roof, only for somebody to walk out straight from a restaurant or bar, put their hand out and presto..

You can’t feel your hands or feet, just the impending hangover.

Anybody that was anti deregulation needs reprogramming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I heard that phrase so much as a child the first time I tried to buy an envelope in a post office I asked for a stamped addressed envelope like a thick. “You’ll have to address it yourself” was the response.

I'll go one further than that.

I used to listen to foreign radio stations on Short Wave (that's not even the main point), and would get QSL cards (proof of reception) back from them, for the reception reports that I sent out.

You would have to write down what you heard on their broadcast, the date and time, what equipment you were using and how good the signal was. Then you posted off the report and waited.... and waited ... for the return reply.

In order to cover their postage you had to buy an I.R.C. from the post office - an International Reply Coupon, that anyone in a postal union country could take to their local post office and exchange for an international post stamp, so that they could send back to you.

You try telling the young people today that.... and they wouldn't believe any of it. :)

Miss it because there are only a handful of actual music stores left to buy physical product.... after covid see what’s left on the landscape...

But using my home city as an example, Dublin.... Tower Records, and the now handful of indie stores...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Postal orders.
    Cheque books.

• Advertisement

Miss it because there are only a handful of actual music stores left to buy physical product.... after covid see what’s left on the landscape...

But using my home city as an example, Dublin.... Tower Records, and the now handful of indie stores...

Agree, it's not like it was. In the '90s I'd spend hours every Saturday doing a trawl of the shops - would start with Virgin, HMV, Tower. Then Freebird, Comet, Borderline, Freak Out, Abbey Discs, Tag, Outlaw, Chapters etc...

Buy most of my records & CDs online now. I moved out of Dublin in 2003 so had to make a special trip every few weeks. After around 2006, I found that the shops were become unreliable particularly when it came to some new releases and a lot of new reissues (not coming in on time or not at all). Nowadays I'll go in for a browse if I'm passing and will usually buy something - but generally will pre-order online anything new.

Squats, you never see or hear of squats anymore. I remember some squats in Galway city in the early nineties, some of them mad party houses. There was one in Dominic St next to the Jug of Punch pub, the pub had a fire and over the next few days crowds from the squat during a party jumped over the back wall and came back with bins full of burnt cans, apparently still drinkable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Hard hitting public safety ads

Your harmless family pet dog turns into a bloodthirsty cutthroat at night and kills sheep. Do you know where your dog was last night??

Grandad falling into the river and drowning

Young lad getting zapped to oblivion for climbing on ESB equipment.

Lots more

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Hard hitting public safety ads

Your harmless family pet dog turns into a bloodthirsty cutthroat at night and kills sheep. Do you know where your dog was last night??

Grandad falling into the river and drowning

Young lad getting zapped to oblivion for climbing on ESB equipment.

Lots more

'But he never gave a thought to his back-booooone to the tune of 'Big Bad John' !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Being forced up the aisle to take communion.

RTE Continuity Announcers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nxDmrkuMl0

Agree, it's not like it was. In the '90s I'd spend hours every Saturday doing a trawl of the shops - would start with Virgin, HMV, Tower. Then Freebird, Comet, Borderline, Freak Out, Abbey Discs, Tag, Outlaw, Chapters etc...

Buy most of my records & CDs online now. I moved out of Dublin in 2003 so had to make a special trip every few weeks. After around 2006, I found that the shops were become unreliable particularly when it came to some new releases and a lot of new reissues (not coming in on time or not at all). Nowadays I'll go in for a browse if I'm passing and will usually buy something - but generally will pre-order online anything new.

Was pretty much my trek too, That could be me most Saturdays, about 2 hours just shopping for music.

I loved the original Record Collector on Wicklow St.just down from the original tower.. the late George Murray was the owner, a super nice man who used gave me the odd freebie over the years... as well of tonnes of good steers onto something I’d like based on my love of x artist... used to bump into him at whelans and vicar st at the odd gig, we had a mutual love of Rodney Crowell and it was nice to get to know even a little bit of the man whose passion for music went to inform my own...

I remember with fondness going into that little basement, an aladdins cave.

Or married!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Being forced out the door to mass. Being interrogated as to what the readings were on your return to make sure you actually went. This was done to adult children home at the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement