Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air to water

• 15-11-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hey iv recently bought a house that has oil central heating that was built in 2005 I would love to convert to air to water just wondering has anyone done this and if so what was the cost.it’s a 2 story house with hollow floor on first floor.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Blues14 wrote: »
    Hey iv recently bought a house that has oil central heating that was built in 2005 I would love to convert to air to water just wondering has anyone done this and if so what was the cost.it’s a 2 story house with hollow floor on first floor.
    Thanks

Get a BER rating on your house. Then work on getting that rating up to A. Then consider a2w

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Blues14

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Get a BER rating on your house. Then work on getting that rating up to A. Then consider a2w
    My ber rating is a C2

My ber rating is a C2

Get insulating chief. Prob new windows too. I’m in the same boat as you except I’m starting at D but I don’t think it’s realistic.
    Also, a2w is ideally to be used with underfloor heating or as an alternative, big ugly aluminium radiators.

Get insulating chief. Prob new windows too. I’m in the same boat as you except I’m starting at D but I don’t think it’s realistic.
    Also, a2w is ideally to be used with underfloor heating or as an alternative, big ugly aluminium radiators.

Ok thanks for info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I looked at this but concluded (possibly unscientifically) that getting an older house (20 years old) up to the sealed standard that would make air to water a possibility was not going to be viable. Admittedly I was probably easily persuaded as I prefer to have the house open and airy, and wear extra clothes as necessary. I don't really fancy the 'sealed house' effect, however I was only in one - a show house for sealed systems - I did not like the sense of deadness in the air in spite of their built for purpose house and extensive air exchange systems.

• Advertisement

Anyone got any info that’s gone through the process of getting air to water?

Anyone got any info that’s gone through the process of getting air to water?

Yes, I just told ya. I’ve fitted a few retrofits. They installed new windows throughout, had walls pumped, insulated slab inside and a boat load of extra insulation in the attic. C2 to A2 is a sizeable jump.

Yes, I just told ya. I’ve fitted a few retrofits. They installed new windows throughout, had walls pumped, insulated slab inside and a boat load of extra insulation in the attic. C2 to A2 is a sizeable jump.

Whats it costing you to date if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Blues there are grants (of varying levels and criteria) through SEIA.

https://www.seai.ie/

We did exactly what you're proposing 5/6 years ago through SEIA.

The process took a number of years:

- new windows and doors
    - additional insulation attic
    - cavity filled and external insulation fitted
    - solid fuel stove disconnected from rads
    - rads checked and serviced
    - a2w installed

I love it. The house isn't airtight by any means although the criteria may have altered since we did it. The house is pleasantly warm, not roasting, all the time and we always have hot water.

Whats it costing you to date if you don’t mind me asking?

I was the plumber fitting the Heatpump. My end was coming in around 10-15k. I’d take a guess at a further 20-30k for other bits

• Advertisement

I was the plumber fitting the Heatpump. My end was coming in around 10-15k. I’d take a guess at a further 20-30k for other bits

Thanks for that at least I have an idea of work and costings.

Thanks for that at least I have an idea of work and costings.

There’s a thread on the plumbing forum about renovating an old house and he used a2a to heat it. Have a look

There’s a thread on the plumbing forum about renovating an old house and he used a2a to heat it. Have a look

Thanks for help on this.what kind of person do I need to come and have a look at the house to run throw my options.sry new to this.

Thanks for help on this.what kind of person do I need to come and have a look at the house to run throw my options.sry new to this.

Try some crowd that only do heatpumps in your area. There’s a renewable energy thread on here that’ll send you in the right direction

Try some crowd that only do heatpumps in your area. There’s a renewable energy thread on here that’ll send you in the right direction
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Biker1

You need a registered technical assessor who will go through all your options.
    Don't go directly to heat pump installers as they will not have the required info to even size the heat pump and after all they are in the business of selling products.

Biker1 wrote: »
    You need a registered technical assessor who will go through all your options.
    Don't go directly to heat pump installers as they will not have the required info to even size the heat pump and after all they are in the business of selling products.
    Ok thanks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Imo, your best bet is to have a full heat loss survey done first to understand exactly where / how the heat is being lost. This info will then inform exact improvement measures required and should also include heating solution options which may or may not include a hp.

Note, this is not a BER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don’t put to much faith in the BER rating.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Any link to that? Had a quick look and couldn't see it

• Advertisement

Can I run underfloor heating on top of existing concrete floors and concrete over instead of digging up floors obviously doors would have to be adjusted.

Can I run underfloor heating on top of existing concrete floors and concrete over instead of digging up floors obviously doors would have to be adjusted.

You’ll have to put insulation underneath somehow

You’ll have to put insulation underneath somehow

Could I not put insulation down first

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Maximus47

To get an old house up to standard means a lot of gutting and a cost in the region of 50 to 60K. pretty sure there is a grant.

So going to get a company called eco efficiency to access the house to see what needs to be done anyone ever heard of them there based in Galway

Advertisement