Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIFI booster- pain cave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

How far is the shed from the house? What is the shed built from? How far from the back of the house is the WiFi router at present?

I added a tp link WiFi booster to our kitchen socket near the back wall and it didn’t give me enough signal to the concrete shed 5m away but it’s an a rated house and metal reinforced precast concrete.

A stronger booster in a different position may have helped but there’s a lot of variables.

I have now wired cat6 back to them and out a second router on bridge mode there

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

How far is the shed from the house? What is the shed built from? How far from the back of the house is the WiFi router at present?

I added a tp link WiFi booster to our kitchen socket near the back wall and it didn’t give me enough signal to the concrete shed 5m away but it’s an a rated house and metal reinforced precast concrete.

A stronger booster in a different position may have helped but there’s a lot of variables.

I have now wired cat6 back to them and out a second router on bridge mode there

The shed is a wooden one, the router is about 30ft from the shed, house is also a AAA 2 house.
    Just found this one, do u think it would work better
    https://www.did.ie/tp-link-deco-e4-wi-fi-system-pack-of-2-white-decoe4-2-pack-decoe4-2-pack-prd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

If there is no signal in the shed already, then there's nothing to boost?

Those units you link to might work if you can place them half way between the house and shed, but it's unlikely you will have a suitable site?

If the house is very energy efficient there may be less signal coming through the walls if there's foil in the insulation, running a CAT 6 cable out is likely be be your best bet, you can get outdoor spec stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you're running an extension lead, could you run a long ethernet cable too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i have a couple of the tp links around the house, and one in the shed, stream tv, run zwift on it fine. It's wired into the house mains, but in theory it should work via an extension lead.

edit - i'm using this - https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html

it works by magic via the electric powerlines. plug one into a socket near the router, wired connection to the router, and then plug the second one in where I want to consume the wifi signal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Thud

lennymc wrote: »
    i have a couple of the tp links around the house, and one in the shed, stream tv, run zwift on it fine. It's wired into the house mains, but in theory it should work via an extension lead.

edit - i'm using this - https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html

it works by magic via the electric powerlines. plug one into a socket near the router, wired connection to the router, and then plug the second one in where I want to consume the wifi signal

have used a similar set up in a steel shed about 25m from the house worked OK. moved turbo into house for winter though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Would your phone's signal in the shed be good enough to set up a hotspot?

If you plan to DIY a more permanent power supply in the future you could run ethernet too. They'd have to be shielded from each other though as you can't mix high and low voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Delboy007 wrote: »
    The shed is a wooden one, the router is about 30ft from the shed, house is also a AAA 2 house.
    Just found this one, do u think it would work better
    https://www.did.ie/tp-link-deco-e4-wi-fi-system-pack-of-2-white-decoe4-2-pack-decoe4-2-pack-prd

I'm working from the garage since lockdown so needed to extend the wifi.
    I had this Netgear range extender but switched to the same Deco, just a 3 pack.
    But it's all down to the signal. Where the Deco will help is if you can get one of them as close to the shed as possible in the house. I have one deco in the attic and that's powering the garage Deco, but like the previous poster they need to be able to reach each other. Otherwise a long ethernet down the garden might be your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Yes I have similar, also no idea what kind of dark magic it uses but once it's plugged in down the shed, hey presto, working WiFi with good signal.

Pretty sure it was this one from powercity in Finglas
    https://powercity.ie/product/RE200

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another +1 for TPLinks for bringing network connectivity down a power cable. Bandwidth is a bit restricted but works really well for most applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I just bring my phone and use it as a hotspot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Would your phone's signal in the shed be good enough to set up a hotspot?

If you plan to DIY a more permanent power supply in the future you could run ethernet too. They'd have to be shielded from each other though as you can't mix high and low voltage.

I hotspot zwift with a cheap 10 euro gomo SIM, it's never lagged or gone over my data allowance for the day (even when doing 100km and the Pokémon with the kids).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The tp links above are very good, I've a set in the house.
    For a shed with no signal these might be better for only slightly more money
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5585575/Trail/searchtext%3ETp+link.htm

Same thing as the others but it sends out a WiFi signal as well as having an ethernet socket.
    The shed would need to be wired into the houses electricity for them to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

My shed is about 10m from the house, so I put a WAP (see below) outside the back door, attached to the soffit (or fascia...whatever it's called).
    Gives me 2.4GHz signal right down past the end of the garden which is 50m away, and 5GHz no problem out to the shed. Whole garden is basically covered for WiFi :cool:

I've this one - it's connected to my main router in the house - I just ran a normal ethernet cable from the router to it (up into the attic and over to the soffit)

You have to set up an SSID for it, but there's an App, and it's not too tricky. Just make sure to set a password or you're basicaly giving free WiFi to anyone passing by or living nearby :eek:

But as someone mentioned there... if you have a 3G or 4G signal then hotsot from your phone to your laptop. I've done that when stuck and worked fine for Rouvy and Zwift

.red. wrote: »
    The tp links above are very good, I've a set in the house.
    For a shed with no signal these might be better for only slightly more money
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5585575/Trail/searchtext%3ETp+link.htm

Same thing as the others but it sends out a WiFi signal as well as having an ethernet socket.
    The shed would need to be wired into the houses electricity for them to work.

Hi i have some signal in the shed, but could do with a bit more, there is enough to go on zwift and do a workout or cycle around but when i go on a big race it can be a bit funny so thought a booster would help, i am running the extension lead from the outside plug, would that be coming from the houses electricity or are you saying the extension lead would have to run from the house to the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Back when I was looking into what to do, I recall something about the plug options (where you use the electricity wiring and those special plugs to give you a signal out of reach of your router), but I didn't go that route because using extension leads wasn't 100% sure to actually work. Can't remember why exactly but I left that idea and went with the WAP instead.
    Most likely the plugs on extension leads work fine but I didn't want to fork out money on them and then find they weren't reliable in that scenario (outside socket, extension lead running 30m over to the shed, internet extender plug)

op - if i get a chance later on, ill plug the power line tp link into a 30ft extension via a garden plug and see what happens.....

op - if i get a chance later on, ill plug the power line tp link into a 30ft extension via a garden plug and see what happens.....

Thanks that would be great, so if that works i can get one of the TP ones and will be sorted, and cheaper than the other options

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

Im in the very same situation as you. I use the tp link repeater and put it on the inside of a window close to the shed. Works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_FUMSFbYT6ZK6H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Set this up from the main house out to my man cave. Speed is exactly the same and I can run Zwift on the bike, Netflix and Spotify no bother. Bargain for the consistent signal

So, 50 meter reel cable lead plugged into external garden socket with TP link (see link below) streaming netflix via chromecast, laptop and phone with active interweb connection. Other TP link plugged in beside the router, via an ethernet cable. Without this turned on, I have no wifi signal in the shed, so all coming in over power lines.

Obviously, ymmv, but from this test, it would suggest that the powerline option will work for you.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-wpa4220-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178-pdt.html

So, 50 meter reel cable lead plugged into external garden socket with TP link (see link below) streaming netflix via chromecast, laptop and phone with active interweb connection. Other TP link plugged in beside the router, via an ethernet cable. Without this turned on, I have no wifi signal in the shed, so all coming in over power lines.

Obviously, ymmv, but from this test, it would suggest that the powerline option will work for you.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-wpa4220-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178-pdt.html

Thanks a million for that, great new, so i will get one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm also running an extension lead to my shed from the external socket. Probably too long for a temp solution, but the electrician is on the list!

Anyway, I ended up running external ethernet cable to it. Initially to a switch, but ended up getting a router for it. No issues with casting, zwift etc. I have apple TV hardwired to the router, and have never had a drop out since.

I got the cable and crimpers from Freetv.ie - I was hardwiring the spare room as the home office at the same time. No regrets - both shed and office have had plenty of use!

Hi i have some signal in the shed, but could do with a bit more, there is enough to go on zwift and do a workout or cycle around but when i go on a big race it can be a bit funny so thought a booster would help, i am running the extension lead from the outside plug, would that be coming from the houses electricity or are you saying the extension lead would have to run from the house to the shed?

As long as the sheds electricity is coming from the houses supply the tp links/home plugs will work. I meant just in case it was a commercial shed running off its own meter and supply.
    A family member has them in a detached granny flat and they get the exact same speeds as in the main house.
    They do recommend they're not used with extension leads but they work fine in my house with one as we had no sockets where the router needs to go and we just ran one instead of chasing walls and its perfect.

There are differences between the adaptors just to be aware, I've got both the powerline ones and ones that work purely as wifi boosters/repeaters.

I've the shed wired from the house for power about 12 meters away. The router is literally as close as it can physically get to the shed, any closer and it's outside. Not a massive but a noticeable difference between the two types when I tested them for science earlier, with the powerlines winning the day. It was a quite day working from home :o

The main difference in my test was latency, which might be a factor on things like zwift, I don't use the shed as a pain cave it's where the washing machine and freezer live along with the bikes.

There are differences between the adaptors just to be aware, I've got both the powerline ones and ones that work purely as wifi boosters/repeaters.

I've the shed wired from the house for power about 12 meters away. The router is literally as close as it can physically get to the shed, any closer and it's outside. Not a massive but a noticeable difference between the two types when I tested them for science earlier, with the powerlines winning the day. It was a quite day working from home :o

The main difference in my test was latency, which might be a factor on things like zwift, I don't use the shed as a pain cave it's where the washing machine and freezer live along with the bikes.

thanks for doing the tests, so which one is the best one.

This one https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html?awc=5297_1605606146_7714306edbc6becb35ed89595004b5b0&utm_source=Skimlinks&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Affiliate

or this one

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-wpa4220-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178-pdt.html?awc=5297_1605606055_71ec05529194710c9fef8902b1cac613&utm_source=Skimlinks&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Affiliate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

which one is the best one
    Both are the same speed. The second one offers two wired connections and WiFi in the shed. If you had a spare router you could get away with the first one, but the second one cuts down on extra set up (extra thing to plug in in the shed).

i used the second one in my experiment above. wifi & ethernet connections

• Advertisement

The second one is (probably) a better buy, it has a connection to use an ethernet cable to wire up direct to something but also sends a WiFi signal.
    If whatever your using is gonna be connected thru ethernet then go for the cheaper option.
    The WiFi one is only €43 in argos too.

You can also buy the same thing but with a socket built in so your not actually loosing the one they're plugged into. These are handy if the socket your plugging it into is in use already.
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9156900/Trail/searchtext%3ETp+links.htm

Advertisement