Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact cleaner for charger socket

• 15-11-2020 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭

Would any of the spray-based electronics and electrical contact cleaners be suitable for cleaning phone charger sockets that are getting temperamental, possibly related to gunk of some sort? Such as the one Woodies sell, or Halfords, etc. Trouble is there's no composition information on them, so I've little notion if these are more de-gunking or re-gunking...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭BowWow

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Would any of the spray-based electronics and electrical contact cleaners be suitable for cleaning phone charger sockets that are getting temperamental, possibly related to gunk of some sort? Such as the one Woodies sell, or Halfords, etc. Trouble is there's no composition information on them, so I've little notion if these are more de-gunking or re-gunking...

If its the socket at the bottom of the phone, I clean mine out with a wooden toothpick, great for taking out fluff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

BowWow wrote: »
    If its the socket at the bottom of the phone, I clean mine out with a wooden toothpick, great for taking out fluff.

That's the one! Tried that sort of thing, not getting any visible fluff out, or seeing anything too obvious still in there. Thought I'd trying applying solvent to see if it's crap on the contacts themselves, on the basis that a trip to the menders will be at least €50...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

I use sim opening tool or small needle to scrape all the compacted lint / dirt out. But on some occasions i use contact cleaner (Morris brand from Lenehans) or pure IPA alcohol. I work in phone repair shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I use the wife’s electric toothbrush.......

The contact cleaner i spray a little bit onto a toothbrush. Which type of port do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

The contact cleaner i spray a little bit onto a toothbrush. Which type of port do you have?

Just the method I was thinking of! USB-C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Shot of compressed air from a blow gun also works great if you have available.

compressed air wont get the stuff out. You have to gently scrape it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I use a needle. It can be quite compressed

Advertisement