Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where a program updates from

Options
  • 15-11-2020 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

How do you find where a program updates from. I have a free program which had an advert so i placed the homepage in the hosts file so it could not connect to the home page. But i still get notified of updates. How do i find where the notification comes from

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

You can run a packet capture software, e.g. Wireshark, while you start the free program.
    It's not an easy task, but it's possible not just to find out what requests are made and where, but also what replies are received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

JoyPad wrote: »
    You can run a packet capture software, e.g. Wireshark, while you start the free program.
    It's not an easy task, but it's possible not just to find out what requests are made and where, but also what replies are received.
    i havw wireshark now, where do i look the program is running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

i havw wireshark now, where do i look the program is running

You need to begin capturing network traffic in Wireshark, then start the application with the updates. When you see the update prompt in the app, you go back to Wireshark, stop the capture, then investigate the captured traffic.

There are plenty of tutorials on Wireshark on the net. Example.

JoyPad wrote: »
    You need to begin capturing network traffic in Wireshark, then start the application with the updates. When you see the update prompt in the app, you go back to Wireshark, stop the capture, then investigate the captured traffic.

There are plenty of tutorials on Wireshark on the net. Example.
    ok it is not updates. Sorry my titles is wrong I ony saw it now.

The program displays a banner advert sometimes. The advert is not from the home site as i have in host files and cannot connect to it

I want to find where the ad comes from so can block it. I know plenty wire shark tutorial but i don't understand them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ok it is not updates. Sorry my titles is wrong I ony saw it now.

The program displays a banner advert sometimes. The advert is not from the home site as i have in host files and cannot connect to it

I want to find where the ad comes from so can block it. I know plenty wire shark tutorial but i don't understand them

It depends how the application was coded. If it is the same banner always, its likely the image is part of the application UI itself, and cannot be blocked/hidden. A wireshark trace will tell you if an application is connecting to any servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try ZoneAlarm, it might intercept the advert.

yoyo wrote: »
    It depends how the application was coded. If it is the same banner always, its likely the image is part of the application UI itself, and cannot be blocked/hidden. A wireshark trace will tell you if an application is connecting to any servers.
    it's not. it had an ad for black friday for a couple days so it comes from outside

Advertisement