Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***CLOSED***It's back!!! The A&PI Christmas Photo Competition 2020!!!

• 15-11-2020 6:37pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭

NOTE: This thread is now closed and no more votes will be counted as an from 9pm, Saturday 12th December.
    The Grand Final Thread can be found here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058140569

Hello everybody!
    The regulars amongst you will remember that we used to run a really fun, feelgood Christmas Photo Competition here on the forum... can you believe it's been FOUR YEARS since we last ran it? I feel old :o:eek:
    Anyway, for the year that's been in it, it seems the perfect time to revive the idea, so here it is!
    Woohoo!
    Time to get searching back through the many, many photos I know fine well you all have on your phones of your pets doing all sorts of cute, silly, bold, angelic things things that have made you laugh, cry, scratch your head, and cry with frustration :pac::pac::pac:

Because it's been a while, and for those who haven't taken part before, or who have just forgotten (which includes me), here's how it works:

For the Winner
    I will donate €30 to the charity of your choice on your behalf. [Ill double this by another 30.00 - Hellrazer]

For 2nd place
    I will donate €20 to the charity of your choice on your behalf. [Ill double this by another 20.00 - Hellrazer]

For 3rd place
    I will donate €10 to the charity of your choice on your behalf. [Ill double this by another 10.00 - Hellrazer]

***Terms and conditions of the donations: as long as the chosen charities are based in Ireland, and are registered as a charity with the Charities Regulatory Authority. They don't have to be an animal charity... if you have another great charity that's close to your heart, this is your chance for them to get a Christmas donation on your behalf. :)

Here are the Rules of the Competition!
    1. We have 7 Categories. The winner of each category will be selected based on the number of "thanks" it gets. The most thanked picture in each category goes forward to the Grand Final to be considered for the overall First Place.
    2. At the start of your post, please clearly state which category you're entering with each photo.
    3. Each poster can submit up to 5 photos per category, because we just can't get enough of seeing your pets doing their thing :D
    4. One picture per post. Any additional pictures beyond the first per post will be deleted. If you want to enter the same picture in more than one category, post it twice so that each can be voted for separately.
    5. Please keep the photo size small enough that people with slow broadband don't have to wait for weeks for your photo to download :o
    7. If you're too new to Boards to be able to post photos, PM me and I'll post your photo for you
    6. Do not quote photos... quoted photos will be deleted.
    7. This competition is open to pet animals of all species.

So, here's what your post should look like:
    Category 3: Poseur McPoseyPants
    Name: Houndy McHoundface
    Then your picture.
    Then a short blurb about the photo and the featured pet(s) under the photo

Category voting will finish Saturday 12th December 2020 at 9pm sharp.

The winner of each category will go forward to the Grand Final, voting for which will close on Saturday December 19th 2020 at 9pm sharp.

Here are the categories!

Category 1: Baby Face
    Have you got any adorable pics of your dog as a puppy? Your cat as a kitten? Your horse as a foal? Your stick insect as a... twig? Or maybe you have a new baby animal sharing your heart and home right now? We want to be turned to mush looking at photos of them
    This category has produced our winner in years gone by!

Category 2: Golden Oldies
    This is for the older and wiser pets, the ones who've been around the block a few times and are far, far wiser than we are We love to celebrate our senior citizens here, so let's share their photos and celebrate their longevity and wisdom here!

Have you got a beautiful portrait of your pet? One you took yourself now, not a professional one... that's cheatin' :p
    That one photo where they look angelic, clean, well-behaved and lovely?
    Some of us rarely get to capture these moments with our pets as we lurch between cleaning up puke to wiping muddy tail art off the walls, but if you have a photo of your pet at their best, and you want to impress us all, this is your category!

Category 4: Lights! Camera! Action!
    A popular category that has produced a winner or two in the past (and a lot of laughs), this category is for photos where you've managed to capture a dramatic, exciting moment of physical prowess from your pet.

Category 5: LOL Pets!
    Ahhhh, the category that always produces OMG and LOL moments, here we're looking for moments caught on film of your pet doing something hilarious, naughty, or downright mortifying. This category produced our 2nd joined winner in 2015 and is always hugely popular

Category 6: No Dogs and Cats Allowed!
    4 legs, 2 legs, no legs... scales, feathers, hair, slime... 2 eyes, 8 eyes... As long as it's your pet, and is not a dog or cat, we want to see what ye got!
    'mon the stick insects :D:D:D

Category 7: Never Forget
    This is the happy/sad category in which we remember our beloved, never-forgotten, adored, much-missed pets who are no longer with us, but are still firmly in our minds and hearts this Christmas (and every other day too). We'll remember them with sadness and fondness here, celebrating how they made our lives so much better.:o:o

That's it! Away ye go now and get those photos up for us all to ogle!
    In four short weeks I'll be back to round up each category winner to go forward to the Grand Final!
    Happy voting everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Category 6: No Dogs and Cats Allowed!
    Name: Avalon
    I0UujEp.png
    Thought it would be a good opportunity to introduce another member of my gang that I have not mentioned here. This is Avalon, she's a Crested Gecko, a species that originate from New Caledonia. They were believed to have gone extinct until they were rediscovered in 1994 after a tropical storm hit, they made themselves known again. :o She started my love for Cresties. I also have a rescue 4 year old boy called Alenko.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Name: Walnut

532996.jpg

I took this photo of little 'nut last year while I was getting the decorations out. The paw placement wasn't planned ... he did that himself just as I was taking the snap

Category 3: LOL Pets!

532995.jpg

This is my second entry. One day Walnut stood on my phone (I'm always leaving it lying around on the floor) and took an accidental selfie. This is my favourite photo of him ever, and I have A LOT of photos of Walnut!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭zedhead

Name: Milo

533007.jpg

A couple of weeks after we got him during the summer posing out in the sun in the back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Be right back

Category 3.
    Name: Sandy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Be right back

Category 7: gone but not forgotten.
    Tommy.

He was a stray, found up in a car engine. One ear less later. Had a couple of other mishaps before his luck ran out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh I'm so happy to see this thread...must go through my pics now to see what I'll enter :D ps. How have we never seen Walnut before!! He is stunning!! (I am completely biased as a lurcher owner myself!)

Name: Hamela

My sister's newest fur baby :)

Name: Ella

This our gorgeous girl Ella. Her health is catching up on her now and it's breaking our hearts but she's just the sweetest, most loveable dog. My little boy is OBSESSED with her and she's gentle with him.

I think this picture says it all :D

• Advertisement

Name: Joon
    Age- 8

We sadly said goodbye to our beloved Joon earlier this year. She was the last of our 7 bunnies, mammy to 5 of them, and she was an absolute pet. Miss her terribly.

Name: Daisy

We lost Daisy very suddenly last December. It's only this week my mam has been able to put her bed away. She was an absolute character and ruled the roost! Such a beautiful girl.

I'll title this...reflections...or soul searching :D

Names: Rosie, Joel and Ella
    Ages: 6, 12, 5

Begging in unison!

Perfecting his favourite yoga pose, downward facing dog :)

Category 4: Lights! Camera! Action!

533079.jpg

Milo doing his daily Yoga!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Category 7 : Never forget.
    Name : Bailey

Died way too young of cancer.

And for the rest of people who lost pets this year. I love this poem.

You Did Me a Kindness
    When my legs grew too weak to carry me,
    And my tired eyes could no longer see,
    When it pained me to struggle for each new breath,
    When my heart beat weaker, and I drew closer to death,
    You did me the kindness of letting me go.
    You didn't make me hang on when I was suffering so.
    I promise I don't think that you loved me any less,
    And I love you all the more for your selflessness.
    You freed my spirit from its body so wracked with pain,
    And let me run the fields of Heaven, where I'm sure we'll meet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Category 5 LOL Pets

Bran, 3ish and Diefer 5 monthsish
    Bran was looking at something over the wall and Diefer wanted to see too. I just managed to get my phone out and snap it before they moved so not the clearest shot.

533098.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Category 5 : Lol Pets.
    Name : Rosie - and Riley
    Rosie - 3 years Riley 2 (tomorrow)

Halloween 2020 - Vicious Lion Dogs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Category 7

Our gorgeous boy Sam. He was with us for 12 years. Crossed the rainbow bridge on January 28th this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Name: Max also known as Mammy's little boy :D

This photo was taken a few months before Max went over rainbow bridge. He’s after hearing me say Would you like some cheese :D He loved easy singles :D He’s gone 3 years gone now and not a day goes by I don’t miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Category 1 Baby Face

Angel when she sleeps crazy devil when awake :)

533233.jpg

Giving his winter pyjamas a modelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Category 2 Golden Oldies

This is Jacob. A wise old cat! He loves to sleep. Preferably on me but anywhere will do; maybe here he thinks he is absorbing wisdom as he sleeps.... those are very serious books!

At least in double figures. Beyond that ? He is one of my rescues. Adored and adoring, a huge old cat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Name: Oscar
    Called after Oscar Wilde and lives up to his surname superbly. Angel face when resting/sleeping!

533362.jpeg

One more from little Milo - got him self a new toy yesterday which he loves, looks a little worried we were going to take it back when we tried to get his attention for a photo! Those eyes melt my heart.

Name: Khali

533457.jpeg

Khali has the biggest smile and happily poses and beams for photos. She has the sweetest nature and everyone who stops to talk to her on our walks (like this one) comments on her huge, happy grin and her extra soft coat. She's the goodest girl.

Golden Oldies

Meet Boycat.. who was thought to be Cara by the rescue... ;)

He is well over 16 years old, The most loving of cats and HUGE. He nearly died of enteritis, knows I saved him by sheer will power, and is deeply devoted... He will stand and gaze like this for long whiles... especially if I am eating, and is a deadly ratter, and every day with him is precious now

Sorry I just can't attach the pic! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Name: Pippa

534157.jpg

Pippa is a cross between a cockpoo & golden retriever. This photo was taken in July when she was just 8 weeks old :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Name: Pippa

534159.jpg

Another photo of Pippa, this time taken about 2 months ago. Pippa is on my office chair ready for the working day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Oscar, 2.
    He often lies like this for about an hour.
    You can see one of his ears and face bottom right otherwise wouldn't know which end is which!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Category 7: never forget
    I lost Diesel this year aged 14 and a half. A gentle bear of a dog. I was going to put this into the poser category but went with the never forget, as he never will be

534201.jpg

Names: Axel (black & white) Oscar (ginger & white)
    Ages: 5 & 4

He never saw it coming!

Screenshot-20201115-222153-7.png

I caught this moment right before Axel launched a surprise attack on the clueless Oscar. Axels menacing face always makes me laugh. And poor innocent Oscar with his little dirty nose.

Finally! Jeez I struggled to post that! :D

• Advertisement

Finally! Jeez I struggled to post that! :D

It was worth the wait! Love it :D

jellybear wrote: »
    It was worth the wait! Love it :D

Aww thanks Jelly. If it gave you even the smallest smile today then it was worth the hassle.

Name: Hiro

534524.jpg

Hiro had a bad gastro bug in this photo. He was very sick with it and understandably feeling very sorry for himself so he headed off to the bed and brought his teddy with him. I propped his teddy up beside him for added cuteness before I took the picture of his sad little face!

Category 3 Posey McPosey Pants,

Tonto

Age unknown. with me two years

This was the moment when Tonto, the starved, skinny cat next door, brought home by Oliver, suddenly realised his life had changed forever. He raised his face from the bowl of food and just LIVED FREE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

534882.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Category 3 Poseur McPoseyface

Name: Rusty

iiljgisaljk51.jpg

Being a beauty in his rubber ducky rain coat, ever since we got it he gets multiple compliments per walk about how cute he is, and we hear a lot of people say to each other "omg did you see that dog" after they pass him.

11?!?! Noooo. He's a puppy!!!! That should be in the baby face category!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Name : Lucy
    Aged : 6

My gorgeous Lucy who will be gone a year on the 26th of Dec :(:(

535266.png

Name : Bailey

MR BB living his best life and taking a break in his wagon :pac:

535268.jpeg

Name : Bailey and Lucy

Bailey and Lucy's snow fort lol
    535270.jpeg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is it REALLY December 12th already?:o
    Thanks everyone for your fantastic photos! Love looking at all the fab pets ye have :)
    Remember folks, I'll be closing this thread at 9pm tonight!
    If you have yet to cast your votes for your favourite photo in each category, now's the time to do it!
    Once 9pm comes and I close the thread, the photos with the most thanks from each category will go forward to the Grand Final, which will be a separate thread.
    Ye then have the next week to vote for the overall winners, so keep an eye out!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Grand Final Thread for voting for the overall winner can be found here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058140569

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement