Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Telephone Master Socket

• 15-11-2020 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The master telephone socket is in the hallway (like a lot of old houses I'm guessing). Obviously this suited fine for the old telephone days but theres no power sockets nearby.

If I wanted to get broadband via Eir/Vodafone/Sky, whats my best options? Have a power socket installed in hallway? Move eir socket to different room (would that impact the speed)? Or get a new socket in a room connected to old socket (would that even work?).

Sorry for probably a basic question!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Or get a new socket in a room connected to old socket

That will work, use twisted pair phone cable rather than flat phone cable.

If it's FTTH broadband then it's a different socket and you'll need to have a power socket wherever the fibre termination point is located.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

Ten Pin wrote: »
    That will work, use twisted pair phone cable rather than flat phone cable.

If it's FTTH broadband then it's a different socket and you'll need to have a power socket wherever the fibre termination point is located.

Thanks, was looking at FTTH, would that normally come through the same cable route my existing phone socket uses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Daith wrote: »
    was looking at FTTH, would that normally come through the same cable route my existing phone socket uses?

No, new fibre optic cable all the way to a powered ONT then ethernet cable to a router. Do a search for ONT here, lots of install pics posted over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

The Cush wrote: »
    No, new fibre optic cable all the way to a powered ONT then ethernet cable to a router. Do a search for ONT here, lots of install pics posted over the years.

Thanks. Sorry, I meant from externally to the house. Will have a look though.

Daith wrote: »
    I meant from externally to the house. Will have a look though.

It will follow the same route as the existing copper cable if possible. Is your existing cable overhead from a pole or underground via a duct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I’m in the same position. I moved into my (secondhand) house 7 years ago. There’s a twisty wire coming through the front door frame into a little black connector box in the hall. I never bothered getting a landline phone, just used the mobile and a separate dongle for the internet. If I get “proper” internet now, can this line be used for it,and if it can, would I then have to pay a monthly line rental charge to some supplier or other?

If I get “proper” internet now, can this line be used for it,and if it can, would I then have to pay a monthly line rental charge to some supplier or other?

Yes monthly rental with a 12-24 month contract depending on package. Depends on what product is available in your area.

FTTC/VDSL comes in via the existing copper cable if you're within 2kms of a fibre enabled cabinet or exchange.

FTTH comes in via a new fibre optic cable if the service is available in your area.

Go to the availability checker on https://www.airwire.ie and put in your eircode to see what might be available to you.

Advertisement