Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

34 Days of back to back snooker begins today !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Great interview from Jack.. He's very happy to win; and also mentioned that he'd have to win a couple of matches in other comps for similar ranking points. Looks good for remaining in top sixteen.. Think he's 15th atm..

Going on snooker tables for the top boys - they might have the money; but their home setup might not allow for a 25 x 15ft shed; or a room with sufficient space for a table.. They've not all got millions to buy a nice pad in home Counties, or to relocate to a suitable spot where they can get some home practice...

I'd say home practice would be very boring anyway, you'd need big discipline for it. And you might prefer to have the home as a sanctuary away from the game in the first place. As well as need a good reason to get out of the house when there are no tournaments on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I'd say home practice would be very boring anyway, you'd need big discipline for it. And you might prefer to have the home as a sanctuary away from the game in the first place. As well as need a good reason to get out of the house when there are no tournaments on!

I’d say meeting and playing with other pros and not taking your work home with you, as it were, seem like two big factors. Maybe the snooker hall/club environment is something players enjoy also.

Bingham makes a pig’s dinner of 2 excellent chances to win the decider, loses 4-3.

Had two golden opportunities to win frame and match did bingham, managed to muck em both up. Judd some good pots though not near his best, still keeps winning.

Bingham makes a pig’s dinner of 2 excellent chances to win the decider, loses 4-3.

Yeah just said the same. No idea what he was playing the first time, only one outcome the way he played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

I’d say meeting and playing with other pros and not taking your work home with you, as it were, seem like two big factors. Maybe the snooker hall/club environment is something players enjoy also.

Prob get very lazy at home in and bad habits without a buzz and feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Would that Phil Yates ever shut up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ronnie looks well up for this. In full flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Where's the cue ball going?

Slightly puzzled by that miss episode from ronnie. After second miss, ref didn't issue a warning, ronnie queries something and then ref issues the warning he'll forfeit frame should be miss again. Then after a lengthy preamble, not sure what ronnie is questioning, he bravely plays off the cushion again and hits red. All a bit slightly odd.

• Advertisement

Very entertaining frame of snooker. Three big slices of good fortune and still bazz couldn't contrive to win it. Can see a quick kill from ronnie here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'm somewhat convinced Ronnie was right but I'm after a drink! He's much more fluent today than he was last week. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

Slightly puzzled by that miss episode from ronnie. After second miss, ref didn't issue a warning, ronnie queries something and then ref issues the warning he'll forfeit frame should be miss again. Then after a lengthy preamble, not sure what ronnie is questioning, he bravely plays off the cushion again and hits red. All a bit slightly odd.

Ronnie thought you had to be able to hit both sides of the red for the "lose frame warning" to be issued. The referee confirmed that you only have to be able to hit the ball straight on. Ronnie was confusing the rule with the free ball rule where you need to be able to hit both sides.

mrunsure wrote: »
    Ronnie thought you had to be able to hit both sides of the red for the "lose frame warning" to be issued. The referee confirmed that you only have to be able to hit the ball straight on. Ronnie was confusing the rule with the free ball rule where you need to be able to hit both sides.

Ah! I was doing the same.

mrunsure wrote: »

Yeah that makes sense. Though why ref didn't issue the warning until ronnie queried it - at least i don't think he did any way - was strange. There wasn't any doubt about it. Small thing, but i think he should also have warned hawkins in that last frame but don't think he did that time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

Though why ref didn't issue the warning until ronnie queried it

The ref forgot. Happens quite a lot.
    Small thing, but i think he should also have warned hawkins in that last frame but don't think he did that time either.

Ronnie let him play from where the ball came to rest. If the balls don't get replaced, then the rule doesn't apply. Ronnie could have put the balls back and if he did then there would have been a warning (assuming the referee remembered). As Ken said in commentary, Ronnie doesn't approve of the miss rule so it would have been against his principles to benefit from it. He did similar in one of his matches last week.

Great win for Hossein Vafaei over Ding. Ding a bit sub par but Vafaei punished his mistakes fairly ruthlessly. Most confidence i've seen from him in a long time, great to see.

Some of these Chinese lads aint half bad - Xintong doing very nicely here.

Good victory for the kid there though higgins made him work hard. Thought higgins would go for the snooker behind the black on the last red, certainly looked at it but decided against and left red on. Zhao, lisowski, vafaei - good to see some talented young guys showing some form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

What's the order of play this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Phil Yates again :(

Judd bit pissd apparently at not being on the match table. As no.1 and top seed, i think he has a point though ronnie v kyren was the obvious choice for tv. Gould not potted a ball first 3 frames i think.

Wow what a mess by Wilson.

13 in front, 13 left on table, Kyren Wilson with one of the most egregious in offs I’ve ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ronnie times the ad breaks and has it on an alarm timer. I found that gas.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Far too many misses among the balls from Wilson.

O’Sullivan v Trump semi final.

Struggling to think of the last time i saw a top pro with as bad cueball control as kyren tonight, it was shocking. Ended up ronnie just put him out of his misery, no great shakes himself it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Ronnie stumbling his way into the semi finals, I mean Wilson has to be bitterly disappointed with that performance, Ronnie was there for the taking really he had so much help from Wilson to get into the semis.

Going on form you'd have to expect Ronnies luck to run out tomorrow, can't play like he has and beat Trump IMO.

Ronnie hasn't a sniff against Trump or Selby the way he's playing. Proves his point about the rest of the tour when he's consistently going deep playing absolute rubbish.

Does anyone know who did the lighting and set in Milton Keynes? It is fantastic what they have done for each tournament. Should get some kind of award imo!

• Advertisement

Does anyone know who did the lighting and set in Milton Keynes? It is fantastic what they have done for each tournament. Should get some kind of award imo!

Not sure but itv do a great job with their camerawork, really appreciate the wide angle shots you get of the venue beyond the table itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes, it's professionally presented which is great to see for the image of the game when people dip in and out of the coverage.

The UK set in particular was very well dressed and presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Flashscore has Ronnie v Judd listed at 6PM. Can anyone confirm that? Seems a bit early

eric hoone wrote: »
    Flashscore has Ronnie v Judd listed at 6PM. Can anyone confirm that? Seems a bit early

Think basically it starts as soon as the selby match finishes. Doubt very much there is any chance of the selby match finishing before 6, unless it was very one sided. Looking more at a 7pm start and possibly later imo.

Wonderful frame from Hossein Vafaei there, completely dominating selby in the safety battles. Still losing the war but that will do his confidence a world of good. Apparently lisowski potted two reds in a row on other table?!

Ha ha - Selby 'jestering' around; asks the ref what the high break prize was - as if he didn't know - when he was on a potential 144; and then misses a cuttable red to middle bag :pac:

Ha ha - Selby 'jestering' around; asks the ref what the high break prize was - as if he didn't know - when he was on a potential 144; and then misses a cuttable red to middle bag :pac:

Definitely asked the ref something - might have been what the high break currently was... Still, he missed, and that's the main thing :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Apparently lisowski potted two reds in a row on other table?!

Yup weird

https://twitter.com/hammetallica/status/1339975605262176265?s=09

Don't think i've ever seen it before. Obviously there's a pause after he pots the red as he asks for white to be cleaned, just a total brain fade is all.

Don't think i've ever seen it before. Obviously there's a pause after he pots the red as he asks for white to be cleaned, just a total brain fade is all.

I like that the referee’s head is in shot as Lisowski lines up the second red though. The look on his face “is he about to do this?”

• Advertisement

I like that the referee’s head is in shot as Lisowski lines up the second red though. The look on his face “is he about to do this?”

Guess jack can laugh about it now he's through but there's enough can go wrong in a match without doing that to yourself. Virgos "the things that can happen on a 12 by 6ft table" was going through my mind as i watched it.

Magnificent pot on that red by Vafaei - Hendry says fluke... Great pot I say

I would love if Vafaei can get back into this. I feel as if the fella is being slated/dismissed by Yates and Hendry.

Magnificent pot on that red by Vafaei - Hendry says fluke... Great pot I say

Wouldn't he have apologised if it was a fluke anyway?

I would love if Vafaei can get back into this. I feel as if the fella is being slated/dismissed by Yates and Hendry.

Didn't sound like they'd watched first 4 frames because of they did they'd know vafaei was matching or even winning in the safety exchanges. But a pot success rate of just over 70% tells the story. Only for his tactical play, would have been a whitewash.

Wouldn't he have apologised if it was a fluke anyway?

Exactly that.,, I'd say he'd definitely be oldschool in that regard; from what little I've seen of him.. Sour grapes from Hendry I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

He's doing a selby on selby

Could have been fluke but unlikely if, as hendry claimed, he was trying to hit quarter ball he'd have missed intended shot by that much. Would give benefit of doubt and say he played it.

He's doing a selby on selby

:D Dead right he is too.. Unlikely, but no harm to see Selby get beat; especially with Yates' "Likely winner" talk - course he is/was a likely winner with Ronnie being poor recently, and Robertson going out early, with Trump in the other half of the draw.... :pac:

• Advertisement

"Well, he's certainly not copitulating" - Phil Yates, any minute now..

Advertisement