Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

34 Days of back to back snooker begins today !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Can he do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

To be fair to Ronnie it was looking ominous at 7-3 but he's played some good snooker to get it back to 8-7. He's won four of the last five frames. If he loses he's gone down swinging which is all anyone can ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Setting up for a nice finale, whichever way it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Johnson is useless commentator

Unlucky to that middle pocket from Ronnie. Trump ahead here and looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well done Judd. He likes this NI open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Bit of a cruel way to lose for Ronnie by wobbling the blue just as he was gearing up to bring it to a decider but over the course of the match i feel Judd has been the more dominant player and the way you just knew he was going to clear up from Ronnie's one mistake shows you how lethal a player he is. A hat trick of 9-7 Northern Ireland Open wins on the spin v Ronnie is a remarkable achievement. He really is the best player in the world right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Trump the deserved winner overall

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not going to be a very long match if Fergal keeps sticking them up for Higgins the way he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Not going to be a very long match if Fergal keeps sticking them up for Higgins the way he's doing.

One thing I’ve noticed about players like Fergal is the low percentage of what you might call medium difficulty pots they get. The top players knock them in 8-9 times out of 10, a guy like Fergal maybe only 3-4. And when your cue ball control isn’t good quality you’ll be forced to play a lot of that type of shot.

• Advertisement

One thing I’ve noticed about players like Fergal is the low percentage of what you might call medium difficulty pots they get. The top players knock them in 8-9 times out of 10, a guy like Fergal maybe only 3-4. And when your cue ball control isn’t good quality you’ll be forced to play a lot of that type of shot.

At his best fergal has always been a decent potter and break builder. I think he still holds the record for number of centuries in a best of 11 match. But, yes, he's not up there with the top guys, that's for sure. Just surprised me a couple of the shots he took on here, they were low percentage for most players and he was sticking the frame up by missing. Normally expect him to be that bit more patient tbh.

At his best fergal has always been a decent potter and break builder. I think he still holds the record for number of centuries in a best of 11 match. But, yes, he's not up there with the top guys, that's for sure. Just surprised me a couple of the shots he took on here, they were low percentage for most players and he was sticking the frame up by missing. Normally expect him to be that bit more patient tbh.

Yeah joint holder I think, 5 centuries out of 6 frames won. Still, there’s a pretty wide gulf in standard in a lot of these first round matches.

Fergal will be pushing 50 pretty soon, i don't expect him to be pulling up trees at this level, it's an achievement that he can still hold his own with the majority of them. Next year he'll be 30 years on tour, never once slipped off it and I'm not sure any player can match that, maybe McManus. Not counting jimmy or ken as they needed barry hearns help.

6-1 Higgins, without getting out of 2nd gear. Shame for Fergal, never really got into the match. Further evidence that a reduced tour of 64 players wouldn’t be a bad idea.

What channel is the snooker on this week?

weemcd wrote: »
    What channel is the snooker on this week?

Eurosport all week. BBC joining in from R2 on saturday but imagine there's going to be the usual regular red buttoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

What day is Ken playing his first round match?

Ken v world No.44 Lu Ning is on Thursday 2pm

Aaron Hill v Kurt Maflin Thursday 7pm

Leo Fernandez v Ronnie tomorrow evening.

Will be interested to watch Fernandez tomorrow. Have seen him a few times but don't think ever on a tv table. The odds favour him to win no more than a single frame so won't be too much pressure on him anyway.

Great opening red from Wilson in frame 2. Then a poor/unlucky positional shot when potting black. Think he was a bit too tentative trying to play a soft cannon. 1 - 0 up against Ashley Hugill. A lot of mediocre clashes at this early stage.

• Advertisement

Ashley Hugill looks like getting a framewinning break here in frame 2, which started fairly scrappy; with the exception of Wilson's opening pot. Looking like 1 apiece.

Poised nicely here in Wilson - Hugill match. 2-1 to Kyren. Early in frame 4 and plenty of reds in open for Ashley; who's in, to make a decent contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I see Anthony Hamilton had to withdraw after a positive covid test.
    Somewhat ironic after withdrawing from the Worlds for safety reasons.

Matthew Stevens now tested positive as well, bye to Jamie Jones tonight. That's 5 gone i think but interestingly, no close contacts. Maybe players are avoiding each other outside events, practising alone. Hope Hamilton is ok, given his health concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Wilson just did a 147! Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Genghis

147 for Wilson just now. Delighted for him.

I think that is the fifth this season, 3rd already in November. Must be the lack of crowds ;)

Is that 20 Maximums in the season £1m bonus still a thing?

Genghis wrote: »
    147 for Wilson just now. Delighted for him.

I think that is the fifth this season, 3rd already in November. Must be the lack of crowds ;)

Is that 20 Maximums in the season £1m bonus still a thing?

The bonus isn’t a thing this year. Without crowds I’d say the money in all sports will be squeezed wherever possible over the next few years.

Just the generous £15,000 high break prize on offer for that max. Pretty poor for a 147 though; and it's probably no more than a 70% chance that he won't be sharing it.

Someone could do a 'Jamie Burnett' sooner or later , and get a freeball - beat the 147, and Wilson gets nothing for his break. Should be a high break prize, with something not unreasonable on offer; like £35,000 for a max, or a share of it.

The format of the comps recently, with all 128 players taking part, and the gap in standard in many matches; it wouldn't be at all surprising to see someone get a total clearance with 16 reds. Plus, the tables the way they are; the pockets seem more receptive.

• Advertisement

Someone could do a 'Jamie Burnett' sooner or later , and get a freeball - beat the 147, and Wilson gets nothing for his break. Should be a high break prize, with something not unreasonable on offer; like £35,000 for a max, or a share of it.

The format of the comps recently, with all 128 players taking part, and the gap in standard in many matches; it wouldn't be at all surprising to see someone get a total clearance with 16 reds. Plus, the tables the way they are; the pockets seem more receptive.

Given that 147s have become more common over the years, doesn’t it also make sense that they would be less well rewarded?

Advertisement