Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Cycling Goals.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

8,300km on the button according to Strava and 73,193m of up. Considering the lockdown, buying and moving into my first house I'm delighted with the numbers. Unlikely to improve much more before the end of the year so a good time to think about goals for 2022. Maybe enter an event of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Forgot about this thread....since 2021 is almost over let's recap....

11k kms - nope......back surgery in October put paid to that...stupid injury. Was on course ro do that and better but currently sitting 9.5k for the year so not too bad.

Didn't complete the evil.....always next year.

Didn't do any 300km ride.

Took more pictures alright on the spins.

Found new routes and roads near me, especially when out with group.

No cycling holiday, did one A4 race in August....DNF but enjoyed it.....Will it tempt me back though???🤔🤔🤔.....wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

My aims for 2021 were

a 240 km spin - Didn't make the 240 but did 210 and felt very comfortable.

5000 kms for the year - have reached 7000kms atm

Work out my max heart rate for training. - Nope I lost interest but I might pick it up again.

Do some structured training - Not much success here, but got myself a trainer so I'll make it a 2022 goal.

Cycle 100kms at an average of 25kms an hour - Average speed has definitely gone up this year and I've managed a few 100km plus spins at speeds greater than 25kph. My best result under this heading was a 140 km spin at an average 27 kph so I'm chuffed with this progress .

Overall aim for 2021 was to get out on the bike more, this I managed to do and for me anyways the results showed.

One other related though unlisted aim for 2021 was around losing some weight. And over the course of the year I've reducing my weight from 99.6 kgs last christmas to 70.4 kgs when I last weighed in on 19th December.

Overall a good year. It'll be interesting to see what 2022 brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

That's serious weight loss. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Looking back at my goals for the year : 6500k on the clock which is 2000k more than my previous best. Had a crack at club racing, never got remotely near the leaderboard but found it a great buzz. Did loads of MTB throughout the year so skill definitely improving there. Just one sportive done which was the Reservoir Dog - it was a fantastic day out. Not a bad old year all in all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Humdinger of a year which wasn't planned last December/ January. Just over 3k on the clock but booked car, wife and bike to French Pyrenees for best part of three weeks. Cycled Col de Tourmalet, Ardiden, Gevarnie, Catarets and all around Luz/ Lourdes location.

Hope to return in 2023 for round 2.

Close to 7,500km done for this year. Previous best was 1500 so made a big leap this year, including some structured training.

Third baby due in March so not sure how feasible this will be but would like to hit 8,000km this year, plenty of which will inevitably be on the trainer. And I have vague notions of racing but my lack of time and group riding experience will probably put paid to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I didn't really set any goals but I did decide to get out (or turbo if the weather was particularly bad) every day in January. That quickly turned into February and then I decided to continue for the first 100 days. Once the warmer weather arrived I aimed for 1,000km per month and I achieved it most months. In December when the the really bad weather arrived I lost my mojo (it happens about once a year) but in recent weeks I forced my ass out on the bike and got it back.

I'd a few Covid symptoms this morning so I did an antigen test which was positive so I did a gentle 100km on the turbo (mental torture but watching the darts helped) to get to 14,000kms for the year. All of it solo. Covid or no Covid, no way was I going to be looking at 13,9XXkms for the year - I'm too OCD for that 😂

Self isolating for the next while with the radio on and a Guinness.

2021 - over and out

Post edited by crosstownk on

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Had my best year to date in 2020 at 6800km but I thought that was a fluke given the year it was so set this year's target at 5500km. Hit 8600km in the end.

Set climbing target of 90000m and ended up on 105000m.

Record number of centuries and 7kg lighter than 12 months ago so all told I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

A few years back I might have given some thought to how much cycling I would do in a week/month/year some weight or how fast I could ride a 200/300 or whatever. Some where during a course of year/ride you will be doing kilometers for the sake of it.

For the last 4 or 5 years I've just used the bike as a means of exercise/clearing head/adventure/exploring and the I've never enjoyed the bike more. It really doesn't matter if it's audax length road bike spin, porting the gravel bike while trespassing on some farm lane, cycling to bank/pub/shops on my fixed bike it has all been magic.

My 4 year old learned to cycle and pedal during the summer and that smile of a child taking delight in new found freedom and mobility is something anyone of any age can enjoy every time they throw their leg over a bike.

Ask yourself are you enjoying it, if not why not.

The answer won't be found with your credit car or new gear, bikes or whatever.

Happy 2022 fcukers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

finished the year on 6,291.7km to be over precise about it. 46km elevation gain. my goal as of a few months back of finishing on 6.5k was ended by the very lazy christmas i decided to have, i decided i wasn't going to go out simply to rack up numbers in strava.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I tipped over the 8k on Christmas Eve and have done nothing since.

I could've easily done another 2-4k but I was lazy this year. I've put on weight too and lost a bit of speed. I'm slower uphills, but enjoy it more.

In a weird way I wish there's been more wet days. Cleaning a wet bike is nice and easy, cleaning a bike caked in mud regularly is a pain in the arse (unless it's cyclecross related)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just back from a short spin which pushed me over the 10000kms mark.

Happy enough with that. I had hoped for 15,000kms but between various injuries and work pressures, I was lucky to get out as much as that.

Still, of the distance completed, I managed to get (I think) 32 spins which were over 100kms.

Doing the maths from the image above but it seems to be an average speed of 28km/h. Again, happy with that given the commutes and spins in the hybrid and that I'm an old fart.

I'd like to do more climbing next year and also make 150-200km spins an occasional feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

My highest ever total despite the Covid restrictions early on in the year. I haven't done the sums but a fair chunk of it must be the regular and highly enjoyable club touring spins on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Best week has to be guiding Group 1 on Paris2Nice in September; best day could be any of three on the Hospice Challenge in Kerry in October and toughest day undoubtedly the EVIL 200 in July.

Regrets include having to pull out of the Reservoir Dog due to a knee injury and still not tackling the Barrow Way. Overall, getting out on the bike regularly did wonders for my physical and, more importantly, mental wellbeing. Back to zero in a few hours so roll on 2022.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess veloviewer has varying levels of access? the three screenshots above differ in the info provided - only MP's has the eddington number, for example.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The free version has limited features but you can configure it to include or exclude features. The paid for version allows you to change additional settings e.g. counting the number of centuries in kms (>=100km) rather than miles (>=100mi).

I'm too tight to pay for it hence my image above.

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Just over 3k having not cycled properly in around 20 years. Plan in place for 5k this coming year, looking forward to it!

Chuffed with 14k elevation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 potters ground

I did only 2700 km this year for various reasons ( mostly laziness)

I follow on strava this lad in kerry that did over 33000 km .. someone just put a link on his strava comparing his stats to the pros.. he's 3rd in distance and 2nd on time on bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

In 2017 i started on the bike and from a crawl I managed to eventually do a 90k athlone to mullingar return on the greenaway which I really enjoyed and was one off the bucket list

2022, the goal is to lose enough weight to get back on the bike *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

According to my Veloviewer year end report Iceland is south east of Paris

Veloviewer clearly must be a UK run operation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yes. Only a select few die hards will get it 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I set a target of 7,500km I was hoping in my head to do 10k but moved into a new house etc so wasn't to be. I did 8684 with only 43k of elevation I'm not a big fan of hills. I did start running too though and am the lightest I've been in years :)

Happy New year all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Had planned on 6k with 100k of up but only managed 5k and 75k of up. Largely due to very little cycling from September onwards with other things happening in my life and also more slow going gravel routes. Getting PRs on most spins due to losing a couple of kgs and new wheels so happy enough.

Do you guys factor wind into these cycles.

I once set off on the greenaway into a head wind. I got as far as moate from athlone and nearly needed an ambulance

Surely wind has a big consequence on performance, which isn't something most don't consider when just going for a stroll with the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Yes I do, I usually plan my route on the wind direction, start off against and finish with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Didn't have any goals for the year, covered 1,200km in the first 6 months of the year which which isn't much but at the same time it's the most I've done in the last 4 years. Towards the end of Summer I was focusing on running and recently hit my 30 minute 5k goal so at least I wasn't doing nothing.

Goal for 2022 is just to be on the bike more, mainly commuting and running errands. A side challenge for myself is to get faster on my commute home. It's 13km of backroads with uninterrupted pedaling so it's a good workout as my commute in has lots of stops and short stretches of road. I've already seen an improvement in my ability to hold a steady pace for more than a few minutes thanks to a month of 20-30 minute Zwift workouts, I'll probably use the turbo all year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The greenway from Athlone-Mullingar is a tough slog on a day with SW or W wind. Straight and quite open. I tend to avoid it, unless to roll home for the last 20/30km.

You wouldn't often get a headwind starting from Athlone though.

Good route too for a night spin when there's no frost

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Had my usual 10k target with 100k of up - in the end, I managed 11700kms which is a new yearly distance high for me, and 85K up so same again for 2022 with a focus on making the elevation target

• Advertisement

I really want to get back on it. I enjoy the peacefulness once you get out of the urban zones of the walkers and 3 abreast mums and buggies

Advertisement