Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba very slow to start and open pages and files

Options
  • 16-11-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

I have a toshiba satellite, 5 or 6 years old. Expensive laptop when i bought it. Been very slow to respond lately. Takes an age to get warmed up.

I have disabled some of the start up processes. Anyone have an idea why its so slow. I have attached a few images from task manager. Not sure if they will help.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Sort by the disk column in task manager to see what's causing that to be at 100%. That program could be the issue.

https://www.thenerdic.com/fix-100-disk-usage-and-improve-windows-performance/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Thanks, another thing i noticed is the laptop sound loud. my 7 year old committed it was like a vacuum cleaner yesterday. Slight exaggeration but could this be a sign of any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

When was the last time this laptop got a dusting down? The heatsink could be clogged, the cpu overheats and throttles down, slowing down everything. First thing I'd do of getting a torch and look into the vents whether they are free or saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I have a toshiba satellite, 5 or 6 years old. Expensive laptop when i bought it. Been very slow to respond lately. Takes an age to get warmed up.

I have disabled some of the start up processes. Anyone have an idea why its so slow. I have attached a few images from task manager. Not sure if they will help.

Cheers
    HDD

Gave it a dust down and a short blast of air, some dust init alright.

Screen shot of disk performance. are these numbers ok. is there an issue?

• Advertisement

Gave it a dust down and a short blast of air, some dust init alright.

Screen shot of disk performance. are these numbers ok. is there an issue?
    100% active on disk is showing that disk is working hard, but ....

It looks like Windows updates are downloading/installing. Check status in settings.
    If disk performance does not come back after updates completed there is nothing else a can see other than HDD itself has degraded/severely fragmented - time to upgrade to SSD

100% active on disk is showing that disk is working hard, but ....

It looks like Windows updates are downloading/installing. Check status in settings.
    If disk performance does not come back after updates completed there is nothing else a can see other than HDD itself has degraded/severely fragmented - time to upgrade to SSD

Thanks, is that a simple change out. is it easy to transfer data to new disk?

Thanks, is that a simple change out. is it easy to transfer data to new disk?
    SSD's not to expensive these days.
    Google your laptop HDD upgrade - sure will be step-by-step video available or post exact model here for support

Good brands SSD's usually come with cloning soft, Samsung one of them
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00P73B1E4?th=1

You will need same size or bigger drive to clone your current disk with all data and programs, and you will keep "working" original as backup till you fully satisfied with transition. Its simple, will require disk enclosure(~€10) for this.

Hi i was thinking of carring out the upgrade from HDD to SSD myself. any advice one dos and donts. Is transfer of files easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I would recommend replacing the HDD with the SSD and installing Windows from scratch, then copying from the old drive files as needed.
    For that, you would need an adapter like this, or an enclosure like this. Either one will turn your HDD into an external disk you can connect to your laptop when you need it.

See this thread on how to safely activate your Windows license on the new SSD.

The procedure will be more time consuming than cloning your HDD onto the SSD, but it will definitely speed up your Windows installation, as it would be free of software. You can re-install these one by one, when you need them, and end up with a faster installation.

If you need to be productive immediately and cannot afford any downtime, the alternative is to clone the contents of your HDD ("warts and all") to the SSD. For this, you will still need the adapter or enclosure, to allow you to connect the SSD to your working PC. Install Macrium Reflect and clone the contents. Be careful with the partitions, if the disks are of different sizes. After the cloning, you replace the HDD with the SSD inside the laptop, and you're done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

I had the exact same problem recently with my Toshiba Satellite. No matter what I tried, I couldn't resolve it.
    To determine whether the HDD was failing or merely corrupted, I booted into Windows in 'Safe Mode' and it performed perfectly.
    While in Safe Mode, I backed up all necessary files, folders, programmes etc. to an external drive and did a fresh install of Windows.

It's a pain I know, having to re-install everything but laptop is working fine now and it may save you having to fork out needlessly for a SSD drive.

JoyPad wrote: »
    I would recommend replacing the HDD with the SSD and installing Windows from scratch, then copying from the old drive files as needed.
    For that, you would need an adapter like this, or an enclosure like this. Either one will turn your HDD into an external disk you can connect to your laptop when you need it.

See this thread on how to safely activate your Windows license on the new SSD.

The procedure will be more time consuming than cloning your HDD onto the SSD, but it will definitely speed up your Windows installation, as it would be free of software. You can re-install these one by one, when you need them, and end up with a faster installation.

If you need to be productive immediately and cannot afford any downtime, the alternative is to clone the contents of your HDD ("warts and all") to the SSD. For this, you will still need the adapter or enclosure, to allow you to connect the SSD to your working PC. Install Macrium Reflect and clone the contents. Be careful with the partitions, if the disks are of different sizes. After the cloning, you replace the HDD with the SSD inside the laptop, and you're done.

Im in no rush with this. it can take what ever length of time it wants.

The physical removal of the part does not look too bad. The transferring of the license is what worries me. Reading the link it looks ok but is there hidden traps i could run into.

The physical removal of the part does not look too bad. The transferring of the license is what worries me. Reading the link it looks ok but is there hidden traps i could run into.

Hang on to the original HDD until you get everything sorted.

I did an upgrade recently, and just said "I am reinstalling Windows on this PC", logged into my MS account, pointed to the correct machine (**), and the license was transferred.

NOTE (**): I have multiple Windows licenses on my account, which is why I had to pick one to have the license transferred. If you have only one license on your account, I don't know if it even asks which one it is.

Watching this guy not sure what going on around the 4 minue mark. Is he just making sure all programs a shut down. He is using crystal disk mark for something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC2Ispn82u4

@joypad did the upgrade make a differance?

Watching this guy not sure what going on around the 4 minue mark. Is he just making sure all programs a shut down. He is using crystal disk mark for something.

@joypad did the upgrade make a differance?

Going from spinning rust to SSD is a massive difference.
    I've also gone from PCIe v3 to PCIe v4, and the only difference is in CrystalDiskMark :D

JoyPad wrote: »
    Going from spinning rust to SSD is a massive difference.
    I've also gone from PCIe v3 to PCIe v4, and the only difference is in CrystalDiskMark :D

what is crystal disk mark for?

He is cloning the contents of his old drive to the new drive. They look to be about the same size, 1TB. However, he is only cloning the Windows partition, leaving the others untouched.

If you read the warning, he is advised to close any open applications, make sure there are no open files, as these will not be cloned.

what is crystal disk mark for?

Checking the speed of a drive. It runs several tests. The sequential read/write test (top one) is the fastest one, and usually the only one people will run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Cheers

You clearly have hard drive issue(s).

I'd do the following:

1. Install CrystalDiskInfo and check the drive's SMART status.
    2. Run a boot-time full disk anti-virus scan
    3. Run chkdsk/f as Administrator at the command prompt and select to run at next reboot.
    4. Run a defragmentation scan
    5. Report back with screenshots

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    You clearly have hard drive issue(s).

I'd do the following:

1. Install CrystalDiskInfo and check the drive's SMART status.
    3. Run chkdsk/f as Administrator at the command prompt and select to run at next reboot.
    4. Run a defragmentation scan
    5. Report back with screenshots

BTW, none of that is to suggest that you shouldn't replace the HDD with an SSD. You should, and it will have a massive effect, especially if you do a clean windows install and re-install necessary applications. However, if you are going to migrate to an SSD, it is waaay better to migrate from a drive that is free from viruses and/or bad data, and is itself as clean as it can be. Before such a migration, run CCleaner and use it to clear out as much ****e as possible that will have accumulated over the years.

Number 2 the boot time scan. Take take a while. Been over an hour scanning

Out of curiosity what while the above steps tell me?

Number 2 the boot time scan. Take take a while. Been over an hour scanning

Out of curiosity what while the above steps tell me?

Yes. Boot time scan will take ages..

Step 1. Will tell you the hard drive's SMART status, and if there are any issues at a physical level

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-smart-stats-indicate-hard-drive-failures/

Step 2. Will tell you if your drive is infected by a known virus, deep into the boot areas

Step 3 checks for errors at a logical level, and reports on how the files are laid out across the drive, identifying and repairing cross-linked files, lost fragments etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK

Step 4 tightens up the movable sectors so that files are laid out in a manner that maximise the speed at which the drive heads can read them of the physical platters.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Yes. Boot time scan will take ages..

Step 1. Will tell you the hard drive's SMART status, and if there are any issues at a physical level

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-smart-stats-indicate-hard-drive-failures/

Step 2. Will tell you if your drive is infected by a known virus, deep into the boot areas

Step 3 checks for errors at a logical level, and reports on how the files are laid out across the drive, identifying and repairing cross-linked files, lost fragments etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK

Step 4 tightens up the movable sectors so that files are laid out in a manner that maximise the speed at which the drive heads can read them of the physical platters.

Great thanks.

Cant find a report after scan finished. I only have basic AVG. Should it be there?

All i can find is scan history. NO infected files!!

Cant find a report after scan finished. I only have basic AVG. Should it be there?

You just wasting your time.

Get SSD, install Win, copy data, retire HDD

Running various scans might completely "kill" your disk that is already showing tiredness.

Its telling you that no infected files were found. You might find further info. in the aswBoot.txt file is in the folder in the attached screen.

Did you get a screenshot of Step 1 SMART results?

This is what i have so far. Carried out step 3, but again cant find report.

This is what i have so far. Carried out step 3, but again cant find report.

Heres a link to help you find the log file from the chkdsk..

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40822-read-chkdsk-log-event-viewer-windows-10-a.html

• Advertisement

This the right log?

Advertisement