Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba very slow to start and open pages and files

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

"expensive", 5-6 Y old laptop with SATA/300 drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

This the right log?

So far, you're showing a 1TB hard drive that has just over 1/3rd used
    Prima facie, those basic tests are telling me that there is no evidence of viruses, physical problems or imminent failure. The file system has been checked (although I would have preferred if chkdsk/f had been used as administrator) and no issues were found.

All that suggests that the issue probably lies in how Windows itself is performing.

Re-start into safe mode, and see if the disk usage drops in usage. You wont be able to access the internet in safe mode so check if you get faster operation in safe mode. report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sofiane9mm

Maybe it's your HDD. Have considered Defragging it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

sofiane9mm wrote: »
    Maybe it's your HDD. Have considered Defragging it?

Waste of time - defrag is automatic on mechanical drives in Windows 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Hi guys, i have someone who knows what they doing organised to upgrade my harddrive to an SSD. Will a standard backup of my files be sufficient just i case something goes wrong when they change the HDD?

• Advertisement

Hi guys, i have someone who knows what they doing organised to upgrade my harddrive to an SSD. Will a standard backup of my files be sufficient just i case something goes wrong when they change the HDD?
    If disk swapped, you retain original HDD with all data on it and you should be able to access it from enclosure, however, having backup copy of all your data is wise.

Hi guys. just got laptop back with SSD. Huge differance. Laptop logs on with to admin. should i leave it alone or go back to user which was my name, does it make a differance?

Congrats!

Having more than one account with administrative privileges is advisable, in case of profile corruption, you still have option to use other account for troubleshooting or repair.

Whether you choose to use account with admin privileges on daily bases up to you.
    Using non-admin account is more safe, however, might annoy prompting admin pass each time you install something or modify settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Did they also remove avg? It's not needed as you have windows defender built-in to w10 and is just as good but without the ads/additional bloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

I would rather suggest reformat & reinstall windows system. But for old laptops perhaps Linux to consider.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, laptop has been a pleasure to use since i upgraded. Noticed to other day it wanted to upgrade to window 11 but its saying loptop wont support Windows 11. Is a cpu upgraded needed or should i just stay with windows 10 ?

Very few laptops have/had upgradable CPU - refer to tech documentation by model.

If it says not supported most likely it doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Check if it is the TPM issue. If so, you can opt out of that afaik.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement