Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay Down Mortgage or Save

Options
  • 16-11-2020 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Guys,

Bought a new build last year near Dublin, however with the advance in WFH I intend to sell and build at home (West Meath) on a site the parents have put aside for me. I availed of the help to buy so will have to wait another four years before I can make the move or revenue can clawback.

Just wondering what people would do in my position, should I continue to overpay the mortgage or should I pay the minimum mortgage and try to build up my savings?

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

richbohs wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Bought a new build last year near Dublin, however with the advance in WFH I intend to sell and build at home (West Meath) on a site the parents have put aside for me. I availed of the help to buy so will have to wait another four years before I can make the move or revenue can clawback.

Just wondering what people would do in my position, should I continue to overpay the mortgage or should I pay the minimum mortgage and try to build up my savings?

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks

You're getting nothing for your savings right now. Overpaying your mortgage will save you a significant amount on interest.

Figure out what you need to save to make your move and aim for that... I'd plough anything above that figure into the mortgage

Advertisement