Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are so many people still going to work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Wow - what a thread. People are outraged about others getting in their car and driving.

I can see a thread starting in January "Why are so many people still going to Aldi"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

That's quite a self-righteous, unpleasant and begrudging statement to make.

Some people have no real choice, some people are cracking up and desperate, others are selfish and some are misguided. Some have been good 90% of the time, some good 95% of the time, some 50% of the time.

Nobody is perfect, most people have judgement, and some self-righteous people are almost perfect and want to show that they are more perfectest and correct and others are not correctest..

There will be a vaccine soon so let's celebrate tonight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Wow - what a thread. People are outraged about others getting in their car and driving.

I can see a thread starting in January "Why are so many people still going to Aldi"

:D

No one's 'outraged' and this thread isn't about people getting in their cars and driving.

And since when have people been asked not to go to Aldi????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

No one's 'outraged' and this thread isn't about people getting in their cars and driving.

Yeah it is. This thread is about the number of cars going into Cork at 8 AM. And a whole lot of speculation as to why that occurs.

Surely they cant all be :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

People was asked to minise social contacts, limit their travel to really essential, limit visiting public places. But be sure, in any society you will have plenty of idiots who are unable to plan their beings for at least one week ahead to buy everything needed over single shop visit (if by some reason delivery is not an option in their area) and have to call shops more often "picking something up".

• Advertisement

Oh right, sorry Gingersnlemon. I thought I started this thread about why so
    many people seem to be ignoring level 5 restrictions re going into work. Must be thinking of another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I go to the office every day for my own sanity.

There are normally 2 or 3 other people in the building but on completely different floors. I don't interact with anyone.
    I'm the only one in on my own floor, I share toilets, computers, desks etc with nobody.

I can't see what harm I'm doing and am using my own common sense to give myself a bit of a routine and sense of purpose.

I couldn't care less what NPHET say to be quite honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I saw some bastard walking his dog yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you being serous??????

Absolutely.

The OP is giving out about "people" going to work - but the doctors, nurses, administration staff and cleaners required for the appointment s/he survived without for 8 months are somehow OK.

To be clear; of course medical appointments should be happening- by video call if possible. Ditto lawyer, counsellor, banker, etc appointments.

But don't expect empty roads if they are.

Oh right, sorry Gingersnlemon. I thought I started this thread about why so
    many people seem to be ignoring level 5 restrictions re going into work. Must be thinking of another thread.

How in the name of Jaysus do you know what other peoples business is in town? It's also no concern of yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

I go to the office every day for my own sanity.

There are normally 2 or 3 other people in the building but on completely different floors. I don't interact with anyone.
    I'm the only one in on my own floor, I share toilets, computers, desks etc with nobody.

I can't see what harm I'm doing and am using my own common sense to give myself a bit of a routine and sense of purpose.

I couldn't care less what NPHET say to be quite honest.

I don't understand how people can prefer wasting time commuting (and money), getting ready for work, commuting home and so on than working from home. I have been in 3 weeks since early march (all in august/sept) and I found it painful compared to working from home. Its a pity that as soon as restrictions are lifted that our bosses will start telling us to come back in the majority of the time, because they appear to think we want to for some unknown reason!

I know some people are being forced into work which is madness but I really don't get folks choosing to go in, aside from the fact its against the restrictions and so on, working form home is so much better.

• Administrators Posts: 53,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't understand how people can prefer wasting time commuting (and money), getting ready for work, commuting home and so on than working from home. I have been in 3 weeks since early march (all in august/sept) and I found it painful compared to working from home. Its a pity that as soon as restrictions are lifted that our bosses will start telling us to come back in the majority of the time, because they appear to think we want to for some unknown reason!

I know some people are being forced into work which is madness but I really don't get folks choosing to go in, aside from the fact its against the restrictions and so on, working form home is so much better.

Everyone is different.

For some, being at work could literally be the only face-to-face interaction with another person that they have. Maybe they have young kids at home so working with them around is impossible. Maybe they don't have adequate space to work effectively from home. Maybe they just find it difficult to focus on work if they're at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

To be clear; of course medical appointments should be happening- by video call if possible

What a time to be a gynecologist..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The thing is people are different.

Working from home would have a profound effect on my mental health. I love going to work, and really enjoy my work.

Working from home would be a huge loss of stimulation for me, both mentally and socially.

Work eat sleep TV and repeat for 30+ years all in the house the bank owns until I’m not longer fit to work. Fcuk that

I find it bizarre anyone would be in favour of what working from home involves but I do understand everyone is different

Because OP, to put it simply, nobody gives a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Lots of people have less than ideal work from home situations. Some could have small kids at home, others poor internet. Some people really just struggle to work productively from home. If people are following guidelines while at work I dont see the issue.
    This lock down is nothing like last which Im sure most people can see for themselves. There are lots of layers to different industries. All construction and trades are working which means all the associated stores/warehouses are also open. All schools/childcare and pre schools are also open which means teachers/staff are all on the road.

All support services are back, albeit with delays but OT, Physical therapists are also all back working. Clinics and screenings are back.
    Manufacturing are also all back.

Its to be expected to see people on the road

How in the name of Jaysus do you know what other peoples business is in town? It's also no concern of yours.

It is everyone's business if employers are ignoring level 5 restrictions.

Absolutely.

The OP is giving out about "people" going to work - but the doctors, nurses, administration staff and cleaners required for the appointment s/he survived without for 8 months are somehow OK.

To be clear; of course medical appointments should be happening- by video call if possible. Ditto lawyer, counsellor, banker, etc appointments.

But don't expect empty roads if they are.

I actually wondered why people were ignoring the restriction which said that people should only go to work if their work is essential and can't be done from home. How does that equate to me implying that hospital staff shouldn't go to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

It is everyone's business if employers are ignoring level 5 restrictions.

Your making assumptions. Your assuming people were on the road out of choice. As if all those people get up and drive to sit in traffic for fun,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yeah I've a feeling it's probably more than just those three industries based on the movement in and out of Cork City.

Still going to work, I know people working in pharma, upholstery, computer shops, the legal profession, counselling and supermarkets.

Pharma, fair enough.

Furniture and computer shops, ridiculous.

Legal profession, counsellors, should all be online but if your boss says ye're open, ye're open.

Personally I don't see why shopping centres need to be open and why they can't just do click and collect on a bigger scale but then I saw the demographics attending Lidl when I was getting in my 5k yesterday and those people all looked like they badly need an excuse to get out of the house. Hopefully it's correct that they're not areas with a lot of spread.

Have to say, the volume of traffic in the evenings really confuses us. Where are so many people in such an insane rush to at 9pm?

My question is why is s1ippy out and about so much monitoring traffic, should s1ppy not be staying at home as advised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

People need to step up and negotiate with their employer, persuade them that w.f.h. is better, if that's what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We took our Kids off the School Bus this school year due to the Virus. So, we now drive them. But for the school run neither of us would be on the road daily.

On the WFH, my Husband has been here at home since March. We are lucky and have a room we use as a home office so he has his own dedicated space. His office sent out all the necessary equipment to him and we already had a decent desk.
    Pre-Pandemic he would have spent 3 hours a day commuting on Public Transport. He has no desire to go back to that 5 days a week ever.
    He loves spending more time with the kids and having more free time at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Schools are open. How do you think the kids get to school.

Construction is open.

Manufacturing is open.

Exactly.
    These are your rush hour commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

20% unemployment rate isn't enough yet? Well, if we keep going this way (lockdowns, printing money), it might get worse and the roads then will be emptier? Did you to your appointment on time, btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I love to be able to work from home but just can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I actually wondered why people were ignoring the restriction which said that people should only go to work if their work is essential and can't be done from home. How does that equate to me implying that hospital staff shouldn't go to work?

Some people have found that working from home does not work out long term.
    they could carry on in limited fashion but not everything is possible at home or away from colleagues.

That makes their attendance at the office essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Some people have found that working from home does not work out long term.
    they could carry on in limited fashion but not everything is possible at home or away from colleagues.

That makes their attendance at the office essential.

No.... if you are a graphic designer and you can't work from home because the internet cables are broken where you live, you still aren't an essential worker because you are a graphic designer.

There are loads of people going to the office because loads of offices have to be open in order to support essential workers or support people working from home (i couldn't teach from home if the manager of the school wasn't in the office to sort everything a few days a week, so she is allowed in). . Otherwise offices are supposed to be closed, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Otherwise offices are supposed to be closed, right?

Yes and your always meant to use the zebra crossing the road. I think people are really confused about what restrictions they are living under and what restrictions people are really living under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

road_high wrote: »
    But perfectly sums up the woke Corona-atti with their virtue signalling, faux outrage and moral superiority

This is the funniest most ironic thing i have seen in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

_Brian wrote: »
    Exactly.
    These are your rush hour commuters.

Construction is it not rush hour traffic, most start at 7.30am they’re gone by 4 pm. Office based guys work 7.30 am to god knows what time, usually 12 hour days. Construction is not adding to rush hour.

There are many workers who can work from home who are not being permitted to do so by their employers, there’s your rush hour, non essential commuters.

Advertisement