Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are so many people still going to work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

It is everyone's business if employers are ignoring level 5 restrictions.

Assume much???

• Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No.... if you are a graphic designer and you can't work from home because the internet cables are broken where you live, you still aren't an essential worker because you are a graphic designer.

There are loads of people going to the office because loads of offices have to be open in order to support essential workers or support people working from home (i couldn't teach from home if the manager of the school wasn't in the office to sort everything a few days a week, so she is allowed in). . Otherwise offices are supposed to be closed, right?

Ironically, lots of graphic design has been required for public health information and signage. Some graphic designers absolutely are essential workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I didn't think of that! I guess most of them are working from home but if they can't they can go into the office to make their pretty yellow signs there since they are essential.. yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Yes and your always meant to use the zebra crossing the road. I think people are really confused about what restrictions they are living under and what restrictions people are really living under.

Monkey, you don't have to use the Zebra but could you please, when looking right and left, look out for all sorts of vehicles and not just scan for cars: if you look for cars you won't see scooters, badgers, motorbikes, bicycles, ponies, joggers etc. Please, tell a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Ironically, lots of graphic design has been required for public health information and signage. Some graphic designers absolutely are essential workers.

What you prefer for yourself - to have professionally made beautiful signage or to have shorter duration of lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭3d4life

Monkey, you don't have to use the Zebra but could you please, when looking right and left, look out for all sorts of vehicles and not just scan for cars: if you look for cars you won't see scooters, badgers, motorbikes, bicycles, ponies, joggers etc. Please, tell a friend

SuperRabbit, its nice to find a modest poster such as yourself. Let me add to your list :

and Rabbits

:)

Vast majority of counselling is taking place online, many people can't do counselling online for a wide range of reasons and it is absolutely an essential service. Can we not shame people trying to take care of their mental health?

I don't understand why adult education is open in level 3, 10 people in a room 5 days a week 6 hours a day (8 hours for the teacher) that's my one that bugs me, I guess everyone has something they disagree with. Adults can learn online, you don't need privacy or anything you just need a 30 euro smart phone and internet. I think when the government decided to leave adult education open in level 3 they were thinking of people going to small evening classes once or twice a week and forgot about all the other types of adult ed.

I think this is really hypocritical. Yes mental health services are very important and you were quick to point this out. Why then can't you afford the same understanding to those engaged in adult education? No doubt there are situations that one person is annoyed by and another isn't. There's a few that bother me but I'm not going to assume that my needs are greater.

It is everyone's business if employers are ignoring level 5 restrictions.

I think our focus needs to be on ourselves and what we can do. Always looking to others and getting annoyed or outraged isn't good for the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Traffic was very heavy this morning.
    Even compared to non lockdown times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I love to be able to work from home but just can't.

I use to think that. I have the option and now choose to go to work as i need interaction with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Deaths aren't occurring at the same rate as they were in the initial period of the lockdown so we don't appear to need the same level of closures. However, I think a significant factor is that people are more used to social distancing and wearing masks now which means a lot of places, including schools can be open this time round.

And more and more people are finally realising that the whole thing has been completely exaggerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

jrosen wrote: »
    Your making assumptions. Your assuming people were on the road out of choice. As if all those people get up and drive to sit in traffic for fun,

No I assumed that as a lot of cars were on the road between 7.45 and 9 am that a lot of people are still going into their workplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Some people have found that working from home does not work out long term.
    they could carry on in limited fashion but not everything is possible at home or away from colleagues.

That makes their attendance at the office essential.

Only if their work is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Absolutely.

The OP is giving out about "people" going to work - but the doctors, nurses, administration staff and cleaners required for the appointment s/he survived without for 8 months are somehow OK.

To be clear; of course medical appointments should be happening- by video call if possible. Ditto lawyer, counsellor, banker, etc appointments.

But don't expect empty roads if they are.

To veer slightly off topic, when would anyone need to meet a banker?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The amount of curtain twitching and moral superiority on this thread is off the scale. Who are ye to judge whose job is "essential" or whose journey isn't?

I'm listening to newstalk here discussing the upcoming ban on takeaway pint sales because people had the "neck" to drink outside and the same sorts texting in whinging about the "risk" and that people aren't taking the restrictions as seriously as they are.

We've always had a problem in this country with begrudgery and inferiority. In the Tiger years it manifested as new BMWs in every driveway, foreign holidays and decking.
    In the recession it was moaning about what those same neighbours were getting or "getting away with" that others weren't (capitalised on by the likes of Leo's "welfare cheats cheat us all" campaign), but CV-19 is like mana from heaven to these people.

And for what? A virus that is no more threatening than the flu to the vast majority of the population. Anyone who actually IS at risk should be out as little as possible anyway.

Live your own life - even if that's hiding away - and let others get on with theirs. "We're all in this together" is not the same as "everyone is in this with me"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

McGaggs wrote: »
    To veer slightly off topic, when would anyone need to meet a banker?

For applying for your mortgage for example. Four times in the last three weeks my daughter has had to take time off work to drop paperwork of to her local BofI.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

And, ahh ... was your medical appointment really essential?
    If you're still alive 8 months later without it, then no it wasn't.

Yeah I get that it may be a diagnostic test for a cancer or some such (I've missed a follow-up screening myself).

Jesus Christ. In what part of your warped mind do you think the above is in any way an appropriate response to a comment on traffic levels?

A couple of tips -

(a) The OP's medical history is absolutely none of your business. None whatsoever.
    (b) No, an "essential medical appointment" is not defined as one that staves off death within 8 months. A blood test, pre-natal appointment, chest infection, internal bleeding, pain that won't go away, faint or dizzy spells - there are lots and lots of reasons to visit a doctor. Even chemo more serious stuff like an operation or chemo, which you might live more than 8 months without, but could still dramatically shorten your life span. Not to mention, eh, covid...
    (c) There is no such thing as an "essential medical appointment". Level 5 restrictions state that travel outside 5km is permitted "to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products". No mention of essential there at all.
    (d) How do you think a doctor or GP is going to operate online? How are they going to take baselines such as temperature or blood pressure? How are they going to use a sphyg or conduct any proper observations? You can go to your google doc if you want, but for the vast majority of cases, online appointments just aren't an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The amount of curtain twitching and moral superiority on this thread is off the scale. Who are ye to judge whose job is "essential" or whose journey isn't?

I'm listening to newstalk here discussing the upcoming ban on takeaway pint sales because people had the "neck" to drink outside and the same sorts texting in whinging about the "risk" and that people aren't taking the restrictions as seriously as they are.

We've always had a problem in this country with begrudgery and inferiority. In the Tiger years it manifested as new BMWs in every driveway, foreign holidays and decking.
    In the recession it was moaning about what those same neighbours were getting or "getting away with" that others weren't (capitalised on by the likes of Leo's "welfare cheats cheat us all" campaign), but CV-19 is like mana from heaven to these people.

And for what? A virus that is no more threatening than the flu to the vast majority of the population. Anyone who actually IS at risk should be out as little as possible anyway.

Live your own life - even if that's hiding away - and let others get on with theirs. "We're all in this together" is not the same as "everyone is in this with me"

Amen.

Covid really brings out the worst in Irish people; a chance to begrudge, show off their inferiority complex and show off in front of the good bishop TH all in one. No wonder a lot of the immigrants who aren't desperate for visas or work don't actually plan on staying long-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭On the Beach

Close everything and hide in a bunker now!!!

In all seriousness though, some people are really thriving on the covid hysteria. It's like the day they've all been waiting for.

I don't mind, in the sense that, each to their own. Like everyone has the right to feel whatever way they want about it. It's when the hysterical heads start thinking they're holier than thou and more or less freaking out at the non freaked out. They're probably getting frustrated that others can't see the danger like them but for me there's no need to be freaking out about it. It's all about perspective and how your eyes see things, or project things I should say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

s1ippy wrote: »

Still going to work, I know people working in pharma, upholstery, computer shops, the legal profession, counselling and supermarkets.

Pharma, fair enough.

Furniture and computer shops, ridiculous.

I imagine that if your computer broke, you would not want to have to wait until the end of the lockdown to buy a new one or have it repaired.

• Advertisement

s1ippy wrote: »
    Furniture and computer shops, ridiculous.

How are people working from home supposed to get their computers fixed and supplies if computer shops aren't open?

Thats me wrote: »

The result:
                       6 Nov  13 Nov   Delta
    ----------------- ------ ------- -------
    Private house      5,131   5,914    +783
    Other                895     959     +64
    Workplace            248     259     +11
    Hospital             153     163     +10
    Residential inst.    264     270      +6
    Unknown                8      13      +5
    Nursing home         340     344      +4
    Comm. Hosp/LSU        32      33      +1

As you can see Workplace is on the 3rd place which does perfectly fit to definition "one of the main areas".

What does an outbreak in a "Private House" even mean? The virus doesn't just appear on the kitchen table, someone brings it in to the "Private House". "Private House" seems to be to be code for "we don't know, but probably from a school"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

carpark in airside yesterday at 5pm was bloody mental , wardens directing traffic

i mean why is harvey norman open ? currys ? furniture places had q's outside

woodies a massive q

crazy , you think there wasn't a lockdown and not a gaurd in sight to maybe quiz these shops as to why they are open

I had this with my mam yesterday she was giving out and saying this isn't level 5, Mary went to HN for a new mattress, I said it is, you just expected it to be like April/May which it was never going to be.

cdeb wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. In what part of your warped mind do you think the above is in any way an appropriate response to a comment on traffic levels?

A couple of tips -

(a) The OP's medical history is absolutely none of your business. None whatsoever.
    (b) No, an "essential medical appointment" is not defined as one that staves off death within 8 months. A blood test, pre-natal appointment, chest infection, internal bleeding, pain that won't go away, faint or dizzy spells - there are lots and lots of reasons to visit a doctor. Even chemo more serious stuff like an operation or chemo, which you might live more than 8 months without, but could still dramatically shorten your life span. Not to mention, eh, covid...
    (c) There is no such thing as an "essential medical appointment". Level 5 restrictions state that travel outside 5km is permitted "to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products". No mention of essential there at all.
    (d) How do you think a doctor or GP is going to operate online? How are they going to take baselines such as temperature or blood pressure? How are they going to use a sphyg or conduct any proper observations? You can go to your google doc if you want, but for the vast majority of cases, online appointments just aren't an option.

Very good points. It does point to a huge problem with the media's coverage of COVID - many people, particularly older and less well educated people, are scared witless to seek medical help for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

What does an outbreak in a "Private House" even mean? The virus doesn't just appear on the kitchen table, someone brings it in to the "Private House". "Private House" seems to be to be code for "we don't know, but probably from a school"

Very much agree, very evasive answers when 'schools' are mentioned regarding spread, I'm all for having them open but we have to be honest with ourselves as to that that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Exactly this, fudge and more fudge from the government. Covid is caught somewhere outsude the home, its just more rubbish from them to suit their narrative and keep us in level 5 till new year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The small number being allowed on public transport contributes to quite a few cars. Personally, I am one of those cars driving my partner to a security job to make sure she gets there on time. Two buses only allowing 17 people on makes it not certain she can be there by 6.30 am, so I drive her.

It's a straight home again job for me, but the car is still on the road.

My wife and I are working from home since March. See no one. Take all the precautions. Have a daughter in secondary school. If either of us gets infected, that is BY FAR the most likely source - but I guess it would go down as "Private House"

Of course we could have already been exposed and didn't get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Fann Linn wrote: »
    For applying for your mortgage for example. Four times in the last three weeks my daughter has had to take time off work to drop paperwork of to her local BofI.

I never had to go into the branch for either of my mortgages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cdeb wrote: »

I've had one follow-up appointment for a serious medical issue cancelled since March, because it wasn't deemed essential at the time. I've had another done by phone - the doctor was able to do all they normally would, except the the internal examination.

Surgery is routinely classified as urgent or elective.

Advertisement