Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huntstown Drive

Options
  • 16-11-2020 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I've never posted before on the site so please be gentle :)

We are considering moving to Clonsilla, specifically Hunstown Drive area. Some friends (without knowing the area properly) advise strongly against the choice we've made. I lived a few years ago next to Clonsilla Train Station (without my family around) and it seemed to be a very decent area.

Is Hunstown as bad as people describe it?

Thank you in advance for the support.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It truly is amazing how many properties estate agents will lump under Clonsilla. I don't know enough about Huntstown to say much as only moved nearby this year but it is definitely distinct from Clonsilla, it's much closer to Blanchardstown centre and is not in reach of Clonsilla train station.

We did view houses around Huntstown. They are old and smaller than a lot in the area so the cheaper price will reflect this. It strikes me as an older, settled area but although I know one or two living there it might vary from road to road. Drive out to the house/area at the weekend and late at night to properly judge it. Unless the house has been recently done up I would suggest there is better value to be had in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Agreed with the above re: hartstown road area being quite distinct from Clonsilla and the area near the train station. Yes they are walkable to one another but they are distinct.

I lived for a few years near the Eurospar and I really wouldn't recommend it, personally. Like all areas there are more good than bad and I am sure some folks might be along to castigate me for my views, but the area has problems with crime, violence and anti-social behavier. Again, it also has plenty of lovely people, but my experience was that this was outweighed by those committed to bringing grief to others.

It can sometimes be instructive to google an area like Hartstown and the other locations off that ring road and include words like "court" and s"sentence" to start to get a feel for what I’m talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Agreed with the above re: hartstown road area being quite distinct from Clonsilla and the area near the train station. Yes they are walkable to one another but they are distinct.

I lived for a few years near the Eurospar and I really wouldn't recommend it, personally. Like all areas there are more good than bad and I am sure some folks might be along to castigate me for my views, but the area has problems with crime, violence and anti-social behavier. Again, it also has plenty of lovely people, but my experience was that this was outweighed by those committed to bringing grief to others.

It can sometimes be instructive to google an area like Hartstown and the other locations off that ring road and include words like "court" and s"sentence" to start to get a feel for what I’m talking about.

There's some areas which are a little more working class than others some parts of Huntstown and some areas around the Eurospar that have anti-social problems at times but its far from a problem area with ingrained issues of crime and deprivation like other parts of Dublin.

OP there's lovely very settled estates like Willows, Inglewood, Lohunda,and perhaps Oakview and Woodvale which don't have those antisocial issues and are excellent value for money. The one caution if there's children in the picture, is to also consider which school cachement is your default at a particular address.

Edit: A look at the Deprivation/Affluence indexes can be insightful, though the most recent is 2016.
    https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Go up at night time and see what the area is like.
    Used to live quite near it an nowhere as bad as people made out above. Lots of nice people as is in any case a minority will make it seem worse.
    People seem to mix up area's too so go there a few different nights around the weekend and see what its like.

Huntstown Drive specifically backs onto the hartstown Park and there is most certainly problems there. Op will also find themselves dropping by the Eurospar when going for a few bits. As I said, plenty of good people and even roads etc as ye say, but there is no getting away from the fact that the area around the ring road is prone to the kind of trouble op is directly inquiring about.

To the point that there is worse in d15 I'd agree, but I've lived in several parts of d15 inc within walking distance of this area and sharing the same shops, buses and so on; and if you're asking me about areas where there could be hassle or trouble, anything branching off the hartstown ring road would get a healthy warning from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Look into Rusheeny and the surrounding estates. Still Hartstown/Huntstown but the houses are far newer and a bit bigger than the older estates of Hartstown/Huntstown. It's the area we moved to and we're really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

I'd love to know where all this trouble is that people are talking about. I've lived in Hartstown for about 15 years, about 3 minutes walk from the Eurospar. Apart from the usual teenagers loitering around the shop, and some in the Circle K who can be a bit annoying as they tend to wander about the place with no regard for the cars there, I can't say I've ever witnessed first hand any genuine anti-social behaviour. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, it does pretty much everywhere to some extent these days, but certainly where I live is a nice, quiet, settled cul de sac with a good mix of long term residents and some younger families, with the convenience of a decent small supermarket and a pharmacy minutes away.

Straylight wrote: »
    I'd love to know where all this trouble is that people are talking about. I've lived in Hartstown for about 15 years, about 3 minutes walk from the Eurospar. Apart from the usual teenagers loitering around the shop, and some in the Circle K who can be a bit annoying as they tend to wander about the place with no regard for the cars there, I can't say I've ever witnessed first hand any genuine anti-social behaviour. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, it does pretty much everywhere to some extent these days, but certainly where I live is a nice, quiet, settled cul de sac with a good mix of long term residents and some younger families, with the convenience of a decent small supermarket and a pharmacy minutes away.

I think these discussions usually come back around to this sort of back and forth, which is why I suggested OP go and google the area for court cases that mention it. In my time in the area I had to deal with anti social behaviour both from neighbours and from being out and about. I had to divert around Garda who’d sealed off areas thanks to stabbings and shootings - one memorable incident that stretched across several areas either side of the Eurospar. The road itself is regularly driven by boy racers and I’ve also had glass bottles thrown at me from cars while walking down the road on more than one occasion. And had some bus adventures. Maybe I’m just particularly unlucky and all the cases you can google and read about are freak occurrences. I’m glad your street is quiet and the specific street OP is looking at could be quiet - but equally it might not be. And IMO this area, to address the really specific question OP has asked, is more likely to give OP trouble than some other areas in d15 even.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I used to jog around that area before I moved.
    Hartstown -Huntstown -Whitestown up to Mulhuddart and Warrendtown and back around again.
    Did this for years and apart from teenagers hanging around I never had any issues. I ran about 8/9 pm every few nights.

My parents live there now and walk to the shops everyday for a paper etc and never mention anything except for the new bike lanes 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I used to jog around that area before I moved.
    Hartstown -Huntstown -Whitestown up to Mulhuddart and Warrendtown and back around again.
    Did this for years and apart from teenagers hanging around I never had any issues. I ran about 8/9 pm every few nights.

My parents live there now and walk to the shops everyday for a paper etc and never mention anything except for the new bike lanes 😆

I was going to post similar. I run and walk in that area frequently for the last 10+ years and never have encountered or witnessed trouble or even gotten a vibe from the area that it is dodgy. I'm not saying trouble never happens but all the estates around Eurospar look like well maintained, mature and safe neighbourhoods. Perhaps some of the estates closer to Blanch SC had a reputation years ago but even now, they seem to have quietened down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I lived there for years. Yes you will see teenagers around. Is this not normal ?? I havent seen any trouble . I think alot of the time people see young people and think trouble. We were all young once not everyone young is trouble. Don't forget D15 is a very large area. Thousands of people live and travel through here. The vast majority work and not not time for the kind of stuff thats been implied above.

Advertisement