Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

km991148 wrote: »
    Cone on then, don't be shy.. give me some examples...!

I mean I've been absolutely bombarded with question over the entire afternoon.. but if I've missed something you feel important point it out!

Here's one;
    it was suggested earlier in this thread that this sort of scenario would give rise to some kind of underhand seedy sexual element. I don't buy that angle at all.
    RandRuns wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why not?

Do you believe sexual deviants wouldn't identify as the opposite sex (or even pretend to) in order to carry out their activities?

Do you believe there is no such thing as a transgender sexual deviant, that being transexual somehow makes it impossible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I miss Hitchens. :(

Sure he's still alive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Or gets absolutely hounded until they give the "right" answer?

Yes there is a pattern on this thread, I've seen many come, try and discuss and then leave again.

Nobody ever asked you to give the ''right'' answer. Just a straight answer is fine. I don't know who has been ''hounding'' you to give the ''right'' answer to anything.

Yikes I feel like Mr Spiceland with the '' ''..

I miss Hitchens. :(

That makes two of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Posting any sort of smart sounding quote about "evidence".. on this thread.. without irony?

Bravo!

• Advertisement

Posting any sort of smart sounding quote about "evidence".. on this thread.. without irony?

Bravo!

You posting the above without irony?

Bravo!

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Nobody ever asked you to give the ''right'' answer. Just a straight answer is fine. I don't know who has been ''hounding'' you to give the ''right'' answer to anything.

Well it was me being fitted up for the use of quotes earlier.. but I've had question upon question upon hypothesis.. and I've answered all of them pretty straight.. and yet somehow this new poster pops up and says I'm avoiding or dodging..?

Hounding is a bit strong.. but Jesus wept, I've been typing answer all day it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Or gets absolutely hounded until they give the "right" answer

Lol .....

Gatling wrote: »
    Lol .....

Ah come on...after all this, that's all you can say?!

I'm a little disappointed, I thought we were getting somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ah come on...after all this, that's all you can say?!

Yep ...

Fun game for a whole second

• Advertisement

Disappointingly I need to park it here for the day, but feel free to collect a list of my inadequate answers and I'll try and answer more tomorrow.

Failing that I'll take another break for a couple of months, recharge and join back in when the prisoner examples starts coming up again.

Poster makes outlandish statements as if they were fact.

Gets asked about them.

Ignores questions, while continuing to bombard thread with long rambling posts.

Asked again.

Denies ignoring questions and asks that they be posted again.

Question is posted again.

Poster claims they are being hounded, makes smart @arse remarks, and continues to ignore questions.

Decries questioner, who's been on site for 5 years as "new poster"

Flounces without addressing any questions.

Poster makes outlandish statements as if they were fact.

Gets asked about them.

Ignores questions, while continuing to bombard thread with long rambling posts.

Asked again.

Denies ignoring questions and asks that they be posted again.

Question is posted again.

Poster claims they are being hounded, makes smart @arse remarks, and continues to ignore questions.

Decries questioner, who's been on site for 5 years as "new poster"

Flounces without addressing any questions.

Look.. you really need to be specific. What questions.. there has been plenty asked and plenty answered...

What outlandish remarks?

Incidentally.. are you aware of yourself at all? You've been asked a few times (ignored) made a few smart remarks at all.. you are following a re arranged version of that script you just posted..

Just to recap: from memory: swimming pools, self ID, dating profiles, couples splitting up after changing identity, football (but none of us know), random blasts from the past, the vocal ones on Twitter, periods, making people uncomfortable, and a few others I can't remember.. but it's all there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Sure he's still alive ;)

Oh yeah, forgot about that gasbag. :pac:

Look.. you really need to be specific. What questions.. there has been plenty asked and plenty answered...

What outlandish remarks?

Incidentally.. are you aware of yourself at all? You've been asked a few times (ignored) made a few smart remarks at all.. you are following a re arranged version of that script you just posted..

I've now posted the question twice, as you asked me to.

I haven't ignored a single question asked of me.

You aren't very honest in your interactions, are you?

Indeed. I’ve asked many questions in this thread that any answer to them would be nice.

I've now posted the question twice, as you asked me to.

I haven't ignored a single question asked of me.

You aren't very honest in your interactions, are you?

Right, let's not get carried away in accusations here.. help me out, I'm obviously missing something. What question?
    Edit: I'm checking your personal post history. I missed one alright. Sec.

Indeed. I’ve asked many questions in this thread that any answer to them would be nice.

To me?

Bravo!

Lots and lots and lots of examples have been given on this thread (personal experiences, research, studies etc.), on various topics (notably more from one side, interestingly enough). You deem those examples to be substandard which is your problem, nobody else’s.

To me?

It was pretty clear I was talking about the thread in general, the “in this thread” being a clue. Good god, the self-absorption.

• Advertisement

Lots and lots and lots of examples have been given on this thread (personal experiences, research, studies etc.), on various topics (notably more from one side, interestingly enough). You deem those examples to be substandard which is your problem, nobody else’s.

There has been lots of anecdotes and hypothesis, yes. I haven't been involved in much of it.

It was pretty clear I was talking about the thread in general, the “in this thread” being a clue. Good god, the self-absorption.

Lol, that made me laugh, yep you are right, it was a bit of an ego trip :pac:

In fairness tho, I did set the context with regards to not answering questions and giving the"right" answer..

There has been lots of anecdotes and hypothesis, yes. I haven't been involved in much of it.

There hasn’t just been anecdotes or hypotheses actually. If you had actually read the thread, you would know that. And yet, you seem to think you are qualified to claim that the thread had produced substandard evidence. Imagine being sure of oneself whilst making it obvious you’re not up to speed. Full marks for self-assurance, I guess.

Out of curiosity, why not?

Do you believe sexual deviants wouldn't identify as the opposite sex (or even pretend to) in order to carry out their activities?

Do you believe there is no such thing as a transgender sexual deviant, that being transexual somehow makes it impossible?

I missed this earlier! In relation to the changing room question:

I have stated many times any system is open to abuse. In my conversation with Gruff we touched upon this issue.
    Of course sexual deviants come in all forms, it's a bit like the classic why are all priests peados.. well obviously they are not but the priest hood attracts them because it provides an environment in which they could operate.

Could this in theory happen in women's spaces.. of course and it could be problematic.

I don't think that's something that (non predatory) trans people should be held accountable for, and I don't have an answer on exactly what can be done to prevent such behaviour or reduce harm were it to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I know her purely from this incident

The funny thing is if you want any proof that yer wan is a bloke its every single physical movement he makes towards Shapiro, its a man squaring up to another man. :D

There hasn’t just been anecdotes or hypotheses actually. If you had actually read the thread, you would know that. And yet, you seem to think you are qualified to claim that the thread had produced substandard evidence. Imagine being sure of oneself whilst making it obvious you’re not up to speed. Full marks for self-assurance, I guess.

I just had a 20 minute conversation on a hypothetical couple splitting up and one partner turning attacker and who is being accused of being transphobic.

Are smart comments only allowed if directed at me btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Bambi wrote: »
    The funny thing is if you want any proof that yer wan is a bloke its every single physical movement he makes towards Shapiro, its a man squaring up to another man. :D

That little snippet actually slipped below the radar this afternoon. I had never seen it before. It is a mix of oddly funny and yet vaguely shocking. The grip on Shapiro's neck, the gritted teeth ambulance threat - I was thinking is it some kind of Jeremy Kyle stuff.. it is a really bad look.

I missed this earlier! In relation to the changing room question:

I have stated many times any system is open to abuse. In my conversation with Gruff we touched upon this issue.
    Of course sexual deviants come in all forms, it's a bit like the classic why are all priests peados.. well obviously they are not but the priest hood attracts them because it provides an environment in which they could operate.

Could this in theory happen in women's spaces.. of course and it could be problematic.

I don't think that's something that (non predatory) trans people should be held accountable for, and I don't have an answer on exactly what can be done to prevent such behaviour or reduce harm were it to occur.

Well, nobody does have an answer to that and that’s not really good enough, in my view. The attitude of “well, we can’t really stop chancers but I’m sure it’ll be grand” doesn’t cut it for me personally. Erring on the side of caution by preserving female-only facilities and the creation of third spaces are the solutions that I think should be implemented.

Well, nobody does have an answer to that and that’s not really good enough, in my view. The attitude of “well, we can’t really stop chancers but I’m sure it’ll be grand” doesn’t cut it for me personally. Erring on the side of caution by preserving female-only facilities and the creation of third spaces are the solutions that I think should be implemented.

Don't trivialise my statement by adding 'sure it will grand'.

I'm not a policymaker. I don't know what harm reduction already is in place (to stop the rare female abusers for example).

You could argue third space, you could also look at self ID. Harsher penalities, more awareness. Just because I don't know an answer for subbing, spent mean to say I'm saying **** it.. let the abuse begin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I know! It's the latest.

One of the very first times years ago I came upon this subject was a blog a young woman had written about when she was coming out as a lesbian in some rural part of the US. The local LGBT group was run by an older trans woman. The young girl described being pressured into a sexual relationship with this older person on the basis that rejecting them would be transphobic. She had gone through a lot of trauma as a result.
    A blog is as real as a memoir, or a journalist report etc. It is someone writing about their real life experience. Do we have to wait to read the scrolls certified with inky fingerprints to come in on camel back from across the desert before we can say what happens elsewhere is true?

Of course, that's applicable and untouchable as the verified truth when it comes to other real life experiences.
    Some people, eh?;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement