Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I always think its fascinating how people speak for lesbians on here but when actual lesbians did engage in the discussion - they were dismissed because they didnt agree with all the laughable constructed myths that the existence of trans women is somehow homophobic.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I always think its fascinating how people speak for lesbians on here but when actual lesbians did engage in the discussion - they were dismissed because they didnt agree with all the laughable constructed myths that the existence of trans women is somehow homophobic.

Who here has said the existence of transwomen is homophobic? We both know I'm wasting my time because noone has, and you'll just run away anyway now anyway, as you also know this is false.

See you ina few weeks Joey. Keep safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    If mothers have to become birthing people to avoid offense, where is the campaign to rename fathers as "inseminating people" ? Men as "people with a penis"? I haven't seen any suggestion of this. This erasure is only ever targeted at women. Says it all

I’ve heard of the “people with a penis” one, and what of it? You really think it’s the equivalent, as if men would give a crap about “male bodied persons” and all the rest of it? Men the world over have all sorts of nicknames for their penis, “penis haver” would be nothing new. Calling a man a pussy would be nothing new either, but that would be offensive to him because it’s associating him with femininity. To imagine that it’s men are pushing for this is simply to argue in the face of all evidence to the contrary, and I’ve pointed this out before -

The inclusive language which people objected to was ‘anyone with a cervix’. Of course the literature included a reference to transgender men, and the change in language was absolutely done for their benefit, because while rates of of cervical screening tests are low among women, they’re even lower among women who do not identify themselves as women! It was a poor attempt to be inclusive of all women, recognising that not all women identify themselves as women. Men weren’t pushing for any change in the language. The HSE information page relating to prostate cancer hasn’t been updated to suggest that women need to be screened for prostate cancer for example -

Responding to the complaint, the HSE’s cervical cancer information service said it aimed to make the programme accessible and inclusive of everyone in the population and to reduce health inequalities where possible.

Advice had been taken from World Health Organisation and Government documents on the use of gender neutral language, while HSE communications guidelines advise the use of “gender-neutral text wherever possible”.

It pointed to a recent example of “language revision” during the mychild.ie campaign, when “your child” and “they” were used in place of “he” or “she” in communications.

CervicalCheck information material has been created in consultation with patients representatives and stakeholders, the HSE also pointed out.

The Marie Keating Foundation told the woman, who does not want to be identified, it was “not in a position” to support her call for references to “women” to be put back into the communications material.

The HSE had taken expert advice before making the decision, “which was not one they chose lightly”, the charity said.

The HSE information page on prostate cancer refers frequently to “men” but has not been updated since 2011.

HSE defends removing references to ‘women’ in online cervical cancer information

There are a minority of people who are of the opinion that the skenes glands in women are analogous to the prostate glands in men, on sites which are by far more popular than the HSE information pages, websites such as Healthline for example -

Can Females Get Prostate Cancer?

I know you’re trying to assert that it’s men who are pushing for this gender neutral inclusive language nonsense or that it’s done to appease men, but that’s not borne out by reality -

Skene’s gland cancer (female prostate gland cancer)

Written by a woman.

Opinion: Creating a more equal post-COVID-19 world for people who menstruate

Written by women.

And for what it’s worth, the Healthline article I referenced earlier in this post - also written by a woman.

Not the least bit interesting, nor is it peculiar, not least because of the fact that women appear to care more about their health than men do and so are quicker to highlight issues in the area of healthcare, but women also appear to care more about gender equality and inclusiveness than men do, which is why women are more prominent in that area too. Essentially, your argument isn’t with men promoting this nonsense, the fact is that the majority of people promoting it appear to be at least - women.

And I’d forgotten about this doozy -

harvard-receives-backlash-for-referring-to-women-as-birthing-people-to-include-transgenders.jpg

There are no black women on that panel, and there are no autistic women on that panel; there are only people of colour with special needs, or people of colour and people with special needs, if you really must participate in the Oppression Olympics. If men were behind this inclusive language nonsense, you wouldn’t even realise it today as it would have been in such common use in the Anglo-sphere by now that it would have made the words ‘woman’ or ‘men’ appear unusual.

However, it’s simply a fact that men generally have no interest in participating in the Oppression Olympics, as much as even Emma Watson and the United Nations may have wanted them to with their ridiculous HeForShe campaign -

While HeForShe has been met for the most part with support and approval, HeForShe has also been met with criticism. Although HeForShe has actively represented LGBTQ+ issues alongside sister campaign United Nations Free & Equal, some have expressed concerns that the name of the movement leaves behind non-binary individuals. HeForShe states its goal to engage cisgender men (the "He") as allies to all other gender identities, i.e. the focus of UN Women (the "She"), the full name of which is the Global Entity for Gender Equality and therefore is aimed at addressing all forms of inequality.

I like Emma Watson, but that whole campaign is a virtue signalling farce, like pretty much all of the campaigns for women’s equality, but they’re not just focused on women’s equality any more, now it’s all forms of inequality, leaving women on the back burner so to speak, women’s equality not being the trendy cause it once was among middle and upper class white women in WEIRD societies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

One. One lesbian. There are oodles of other lesbians speaking out very volubly on the matter elsewhere. There is a whole global organisation mainly founded by lesbians on the matter - maybe you have heard of it, LGB Alliance. Now according to the hysterical they are supposedly led by satan himself and are worse than Hitler's henchmen. Or not.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/the-lgb-alliance-is-not-transphobic-we-are-just-trying-to-protect-ourselves-39727908.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Who here has said the existence of transwomen is homophobic? We both know I'm wasting my time because noone has, and you'll just run away anyway now anyway, as you also know this is false.

See you ina few weeks Joey. Keep safe.
    Aye, indeed.:rolleyes:
    I remember a pile-on on these threads and in national newspapers and in public statements and social media when two lesbians setup the Irish branch of LGB Alliance - one of whom suffers from gender dysphoria but natch, she's not the right kind.

I remember them both being vilified, called 'nazis' and not 'being worthy of public representation' and that 'the media should blackball them'

No doubt, the push for cancellation of this thread is being ramped up by the troops of 'truth' ;)

Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Gruffalux wrote: »
    One. One lesbian. There are oodles of other lesbians speaking out very volubly on the matter elsewhere. There is a whole global organisation mainly founded by lesbians on the matter - maybe you have heard of it, LGB Alliance. Now according to the hysterical they are supposedly led by satan himself and are worse than Hitler's henchmen. Or not.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/the-lgb-alliance-is-not-transphobic-we-are-just-trying-to-protect-ourselves-39727908.html

'led by the hysterical'.. goes on to exaggerate the opposing view to include Hitler (although knowing the internet some randomers probably have at so e point).

That article does sound pretty transphobic in places tbh. I'm not saying people shouldn't stick up for their rights, but it has a lot of pretty transphobic terminology.

Of course there is practically no point in me saying any of this, because no one wants to hear that. I guess it will be dismissed as me being hysterical now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Aye, indeed.:rolleyes:
    I remember a pile-on on these threads and in national newspapers and in public statements and social media when two lesbians setup the Irish branch of LGB Alliance - one of whom suffers from gender dysphoria but natch, she's not the right kind.

I remember them both being vilified, called 'nazis' and not 'being worthy of public representation' and that 'the media should blackball them'

No doubt, the push for cancellation of this thread is being ramped up by the troops of 'truth' ;)

Again.

Fair enough re the Nazis (or not as if that happened then not good at all). But who are these people looking to 'cancel the thread'? Do you know how that sounds? At best petty attempt to invoke thoughts around cancel culture and associate it with posters here and at worst down right paranoid!

km991148 wrote: »
    'led by the hysterical'.. goes on to exaggerate the opposing view to include Hitler (although knowing the internet some randomers probably have at so e point).

That article does sound pretty transphobic in places tbh. I'm not saying people shouldn't stick up for their rights, but it has a lot of pretty transphobic terminology.

Of course there is practically no point in me saying any of this, because no one wants to hear that. I guess it will be dismissed as me being hysterical now?

What exactly is transphobic in the article in your view and why?

I also find it funny that certain people mistakenly act as they are the authority on anything that falls outside the "cis" bracket, yet deride and insult straight people for their opinions despite not having the lived experience of being "cis".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’d be amazed if anyone here thought that ALL lesbians have the same opinion on this topic or any topic. Don’t know about you, but I don’t treat any group as homogeneous. I’m a straight woman and I am well aware that there are plenty of straight women who disagree with everything I stand for on this topic. And I’m okay with that because thankfully I’ve moved past having the mentality of a child and understand that many people disagree with me about many things.

And the bolded bit is dishonest (quelle surprise). People have not said that the existence of transgender people is homophobic. People have said that the expectation and coercion experienced by some gay people to accept transgender women or men as sexual partners is homophobic.

The fact that you have to resort to such obvious dishonesty is very telling, Joey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I believe I previously posted that story ,

Anyone want to guess what the reply was ?

Transpobic propaganda was the answer

What exactly is transphobic in the article in your view and why?

I'd imagine there is absolutely nothing but it will be claimed it say this and that even if it doesn't

Gatling wrote: »
    I'd imagine there is absolutely nothing but it will be claimed it say this and that even if it doesn't

I have reread it carefully and from a debate point of view I would be interested in hearing clear argument that outlines any and all transphobia in it. It helps to know what on earth people include within that specific condemnation.

I have reread it carefully and from a debate point of view I would be interested in hearing clear argument that outlines any and all transphobia in it. It helps to know what on earth people include within that specific condemnation.

Read it several times and there is nothing in it to suggest what was claimed ,
    I'm sure it will be claimed it's full of contradictions and non inclusive language but that's the standard post reply in here oh but ,but ,but ,

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭ingalway

I am 100% lesbian. 100%.
    I will never accept that a biological male can be a lesbian.
    If you believe that same sex attraction is a sexual orientation then it is totally homophobic to then say lesbians can/should accept biological males as sexual partners.

Also, you think it's 'fascinating' that people speak for lesbians on here. You constantly speak for trans people, especially trans identified males, and you tell everyone, especially lesbians but funnily enough not so much straight men, what is and isn't transphobic.

So how easy is it to self identify as a woman here and take part in say women's sporting events ?

A , Difficult
    B , very difficult
    C, choose from female from a drop down menu

Gatling wrote: »
    So how easy is it to self identify as a woman here and take part in say women's sporting events ?

A , Difficult
    B , very difficult
    C, choose from female from a drop down menu

I think you have seen someone's second place medal :)

That was quick ;)

But yes it's a really simple process apparently with zero oversight

• Advertisement

statesaver wrote: »

Cowards not men ,

Imagine not having the testicles to make a stand or say what you think due to being afraid of cancellation agenda crowd ,
    It's not about inclusive language it's about erasing women

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ingalway wrote: »
    I will never accept that a biological male can be a lesbian.
    Why would you accept it? It's an utter absurdity. It's a contradiction in terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Who came second and in what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

statesaver wrote: »

Ha ha, what a coward. Absolutely terrified of offending anyone. Just WHAT are Labour at? It’s like they want to stay out of government. They have completely lost touch with the electorate. Richard Burgon this week and then last week, another of their MPs, Alex Sobel, openly saying that he didn’t think that hospital wards, prisons, domestic violence shelters and changing rooms should be segregated by sex. He didn’t stop there, going as far as to post this beaut of a tweet. The big coward has since deleted it, without, I believe, ever addressing it. What a goober.

39215113-0-A41-4-E22-9-A46-5-FB4-E0851832.jpg?dl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭volchitsa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Who came second and in what?

Some anti Europe, anti immigration, anti lockdown, anti trans guy came second in a women’s race in trinity.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Some guy came second in a women’s race in trinity.

Some guy did come second in women's race in trinity by just selecting female from a drop down menu ...

A drop down menu ..... That's what women are being reduced to a tab that has no real meaning to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Some anti Europe, anti immigration, anti lockdown, anti trans guy came second in a women’s race in trinity.

What's all that got to do with it? As for anti trans, is he? Or is he just against men being able to declare themselves to be women by clicking on a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

volchitsa wrote: »
    What's all that got to do with it? As for anti trans, is he? Or is he just against men being able to declare themselves to be women by clicking on a link?

https://mobile.twitter.com/conog_ol?lang=en

Yup he’s a loon.

• Advertisement

He's a man that came second place in a women's race at trinity college ,some might say it's a little transpobic to call them a loon after all they did say they were female

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement