Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Most people recognise that a word that came into popular usage 50 or so years ago shouldn’t be used to define the concepts of sex and gender or have any political implications about them.

No. Most don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. Most don't.

Meh. Not sure what all the nitpicking is about.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

No. Most don't.

So you believe anyone who uses the word bisexual is tied into certain beliefs that align with yours even though the evidence would suggest that this is not the case.

The evidence being that you and me both happily use the term bisexual and have wildly different beliefs on sex and gender.

So you believe anyone who uses the word bisexual is tied into certain beliefs that align with yours even though the evidence would suggest that this is not the case.

The evidence being that you and me both happily use the term bisexual and have wildly different beliefs on sex and gender.

I believe that anyone who uses the word bisexual is referring to the fact that they are attracted to men and women. The two sexes.

Gender as I'm sure you agree, is different.

You could call a cat a horse and it would mean we are using the same term to describe an animal, yet only one of us would be right.

I believe that anyone who uses the word bisexual is referring to the fact that they are attracted to men and women. The two sexes.

You could call a cat a horse and it would mean we are using the same term to describe an animal, yet only one of us would be right.

You say anyone who uses that term is using it in the same way as you use it.

I previously said I don’t use it that way so you are completely incorrect on that point.

Let’s say a particular bisexual person is open to dating trans people. Let’s also say that this particular bi person also has a preference for men but is open to dating women.

Would you assume this bi person would be more interested in trans women than trans men (as per your sex-exclusive definition of bisexuality) or would it be possible that they view trans men as men and would therefore have a preference for trans men over trans women, just as they have a preference for cis men over cis women?

Now I already know the answer to this one as I have bi friends who are open to trans people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Wait, the meaning of bisexual has changed?*

*I'll admit, I've skipped the last 10 or so pages

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is the problem with all this identity politics - it affects racial issues too. The goalposts are continually moved as each group tries to set itself apart from the rest.

The result is previously understood terms become meaningless or "offensive" and the general public become increasingly apathetic and tired of being told they're somehow wrong for not being up to date with today's new term.

But lots of bisexual people dont specifically say they are only attracted to Cis people so what you are saying doesnt make sense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nah. This is all just nitpicking pedantry to somehow prove that everyone who is bisexual is exclusively attracted to cis people which is just nonsense and isnt true.

Terry Pratchet

Annasopra wrote: »
    But lots of bisexual people dont specifically say they are only attracted to Cis people so what you are saying doesnt make sense.

I assure you, I am making perfect sense. A bisexual person is attracted to both men and women. Bi as in two and sexual as in sexes.

The could be attracted to a man or a woman who defines themselves as Pangender, agender, non-gender conforming or any amount of the infinite amount of genders.

Identifying as any particular gender doesn't change the fact that you are a man or a woman.

Gender and sex are completely different.

• Advertisement

Annasopra wrote: »
    Nah. This is all just nitpicking pedantry to somehow prove that everyone who is bisexual is exclusively attracted to cis people which is just nonsense and isnt true.

You seem to think cis is a sex. It's not.

You say anyone who uses that term is using it in the same way as you use it.

I previously said I don’t use it that way so you are completely incorrect on that point.

Let’s say a particular bisexual person is open to dating trans people. Let’s also say that this particular bi person also has a preference for men but is open to dating women.

Would you assume this bi person would be more interested in trans women than trans men (as per your sex-exclusive definition of bisexuality) or would it be possible that they view trans men as men and would therefore have a preference for trans men over trans women, just as they have a preference for cis men over cis women?

Now I already know the answer to this one as I have bi friends who are open to trans people.

Just because you choose to use a word incorrectly, doesn't make me wrong.

Regardless of what they identify as, a tran person's sex will be male or female.

A bisexual person by definition could be attracted to them as their sexual preference is male and female.

All this bandying about of cis and trans doesn't make a blind bit of difference when it comes to the definition of bisexuality.

Whether or not the individual is attracted to a specific person is moot. I am heterosexual. That means I am attracted to the opposite sex. Homosexual people are attracted to the same sex. Bi sexual people are attracted to both.

It's not difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Gender and sex are completely different.

That's right

Just because you choose to use a word incorrectly, doesn't make me wrong.

Regardless of what they identify as, a tran person's sex will be male or female.

A bisexual person by definition could be attracted to them as their sexual preference is male and female.

All this bandying about of cis and trans doesn't make a blind bit of difference when it comes to the definition of bisexuality.

Whether or not the individual is attracted to a specific person is moot. I am heterosexual. That means I am attracted to the opposite sex. Homosexual people are attracted to the same sex. Bi sexual people are attracted to both.

It's not difficult

Sexuality is a little more complex than the above.

Is a straight man who finds a trans woman attractive before he realises she is trans actually bisexual? He felt attraction for what you consider to be a male. He must be bisexual by the simplistic definitions you give right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Sex is a biological attribute, there is no room for opinion there.
    Gender is a matter of belief, not everyone recognizes gender as there are hundreds of them but they all eventually belong to either a biological male or a biological female

Sexuality is a little more complex than the above.

Is a straight man who finds a trans woman attractive before he realises she is trans actually bisexual? He felt attraction for what you consider to be a male. He must be bisexual by the simplistic definitions you give right?

Absolutely not.

If a man finds a trans woman attractive AFTER he knows their sex, then yes, he would be bisexual as he is knowingly finding a member of the same sex attractive.

There is a trans person called Blair White who was born male and now because of makeup and surgery passes as a very convincing and conventionally attractive woman.

If a straight man saw them and was sexually interested they would not be necessarily bisexual. Blair is purposely portraying female traits.

If the man knew that Blair was a biological man and still had sexual interest in them, then yes, they would be bisexual.

Bisexuality is having a sexual interest in male and female people.

I gave a simplistic definition because it's very simple.

Absolutely not.

If a man finds a trans woman attractive AFTER he knows their sex, then yes, he would be bisexual as he is knowingly finding a member of the same sex attractive.

There is a trans person called Blair White who was born male and now because of makeup and surgery passes as a very convincing and conventionally attractive woman.

If a straight man saw them and was sexually interested they would not be necessarily bisexual. Blair is purposely portraying female traits.

If the man knew that Blair was a biological man and still had sexual interest in them, then yes, they would be bisexual.

Is attraction controlled by us or is it unconscious?

For instance, when I find someone attractive it’s not because I decided to find them attractive.

So if a straight man is attracted to a trans woman and does not know she is trans, you expect the attraction to instantly turn off the second he learns she is trans? And if there’s any part of him that still finds her attractive he is bisexual?

Actually I see you use the term “sexual interest” instead of attraction. Presumably so you don’t have to acknowledge the above points I made.

What is sexual interest? Is a man who is exclusively attracted to other men but does not want to have sex with them gay?

Another question for the “sexuality is simple” brigade.

We are often told that most straight or gay people are not interested in trans people sexually and this is because they are not really the sex that the person is into.

But since by simplistic definitions bisexual people are into both sexes, then surely bisexual people have no issues dating or sleeping with trans people as whatever your beliefs about the sex of trans people are, they are one of the sexes that bisexual people are attracted to.

So bisexual people should have no issues with dating trans people right?

Is attraction controlled by us or is it unconscious?

For instance, when I find someone attractive it’s not because I decided to find them attractive.

So if a straight man is attracted to a trans woman and does not know she is trans, you expect the attraction to instantly turn off the second he learns she is trans? And if there’s any part of him that still finds her attractive he is bisexual?

Actually I see you use the term “sexual interest” instead of attraction. Presumably so you don’t have to acknowledge the above points I made.

What is sexual interest? Is a man who is exclusively attracted to other men but does not want to have sex with them gay?

A person who wants to engage in sexual activity, is sexually attracted to, or fantasizes in having sex with someone else. That's sexual interest.

If someone has a sexual interest in someone exclusively of the opposite sex, they are heterosexual.

If someone has a sexual interest in someone of the same sex, they are homosexual

If someone has a sexual interest in both sexes, they are bisexual.

For example, if Blair White was a biological female, I could easily see how I might be sexually interested. Knowing that Blair White is a biological male would quell any sexual interest I have.

I can see that Blair possesses aesthetic qualities which would make them attractive to heterosexual men, but acknowledging that doesn't change their biology.

Another question for the “sexuality is simple” brigade.

We are often told that most straight or gay people are not interested in trans people sexually and this is because they are not really the sex that the person is into.

But since by simplistic definitions bisexual people are into both sexes, then surely bisexual people have no issues dating or sleeping with trans people as whatever your beliefs about the sex of trans people are, they are one of the sexes that bisexual people are attracted to.

So bisexual people should have no issues with dating trans people right?

That's entirely up to the individual.

Some people aren't attracted to people who suffer from gender dysphoria.

Some bisexual people may have no interest in dating a trans person. They may have no interest in dating a "furry" even though they are either male or female. They may have no interest in feminist men or women.

It's not that they have an "issue".

They have a preference.

Why are you constantly inferring some sort of hive mind?

I will only date biological women. It doesn't mean I will date any biological woman.

And "sexuality is simple brigade"?

It is. You like one, the other, or both.

Very simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Absolutely not.

Blair White and her boyfriend are just one example though, and even they don’t define their relationship in the same terms as you do with her boyfriend describing himself as straight. From a scientific point of view, the term which describes people who are attracted to people who are transgender is gynandromorphophilic (you can see why it’s not often used outside a scientific context :D) -

In scientific literature, the terms gynandromorphophilic (noun: gynandromorphophilia) and gynemimetophilic (noun: gynemimetophilia) are used for men who are attracted to trans women who possess a combination of male and female physical characteristics.

Don’t get me wrong like I get where you’re coming from, it’s just that I’m not too hung up on defining sexual orientation for other people or anything else because to me personally, it’s just not that important how someone else defines their sexual orientation.

I couldn’t care less that they are exclusively sexually attracted to either men or women or that they have only ever had sex with men or women (I would care considerably if they defined themselves as being sexually attracted to children, of either sex), but generally speaking it’s just not something which I get too hung up about because while I may have one understanding, theirs may be completely different, and I don’t imagine for a minute that anyone is likely to define themselves according to how I, or anyone else for that matter, sees fit.

I’ve known far too many people who don’t define themselves according to english dictionary definitions and scientific or medical definitions and I’ve never felt any particular need to correct them on their terminology or use of language.

I think that’s where anyone is going to stumble if they try to define other people according to their standards or understanding, or try to define what other people’s standards or understanding should be, especially if they’re the sort of person who complains that they’re being “compelled” to refer to other people as they wish to be referred to. The opposite side of that is that those people wish for allowances to be made for them, to compel people to refer to themselves as that person wishes to refer to them.

That strikes me as double standards - freedom for themselves to refer to other people how they like, while arguing that people shouldn’t have the freedom to refer to themselves as they see themselves. It goes against the principles of self-determination, which is everyone’s human right, though other people of course do not recognise or acknowledge self-determination as a human right either when it doesn’t suit them to recognise that other people have human rights too, that they’re not just inanimate objects devoid of dignity or feelings and emotions.

Blair White and her boyfriend are just one example though, and even they don’t define their relationship in the same terms as you do with her boyfriend describing himself as straight. From a scientific point of view, the term which describes people who are attracted to people who are transgender is gynandromorphophilic (you can see why it’s not often used outside a scientific context :D) -

In scientific literature, the terms gynandromorphophilic (noun: gynandromorphophilia) and gynemimetophilic (noun: gynemimetophilia) are used for men who are attracted to trans women who possess a combination of male and female physical characteristics.

Don’t get me wrong like I get where you’re coming from, it’s just that I’m not too hung up on defining sexual orientation for other people or anything else because to me personally, it’s just not that important how someone else defines their sexual orientation.

I couldn’t care less that they are exclusively sexually attracted to either men or women or that they have only ever had sex with men or women (I would care considerably if they defined themselves as being sexually attracted to children, of either sex), but generally speaking it’s just not something which I get too hung up about because while I may have one understanding, theirs may be completely different, and I don’t imagine for a minute that anyone is likely to define themselves according to how I, or anyone else for that matter, sees fit.

I’ve known far too many people who don’t define themselves according to english dictionary definitions and scientific or medical definitions and I’ve never felt any particular need to correct them on their terminology or use of language.

I think that’s where anyone is going to stumble if they try to define other people according to their standards or understanding, or try to define what other people’s standards or understanding should be, especially if they’re the sort of person who complains that they’re being “compelled” to refer to other people as they wish to be referred to. The opposite side of that is that those people wish for allowances to be made for them, to compel people to refer to themselves as that person wishes to refer to them.

That strikes me as double standards - freedom for themselves to refer to other people how they like, while arguing that people shouldn’t have the freedom to refer to themselves as they see themselves. It goes against the principles of self-determination, which is everyone’s human right, though other people of course do not recognise or acknowledge self-determination as a human right either when it doesn’t suit them to recognise that other people have human rights too, that they’re not just inanimate objects devoid of dignity or feelings and emotions.

Define yourself as you want. It won't make you right if you use a word incorrectly.

The never ending stream of infinite genders can have whatever definition they want.

Heterosexual, bisexual and homosexual are all established and defined. Wanting to change the definition because of gender identity is bull****.

It's typical of the same people who claim separation of gender and sex when it suits and then conflating when they decide.

Let the gender identity obsessed have their genders and definitions that make them feel cosy and non triggered.

When it comes to actual biological sex, there needs to be some adherence to common sense.

For example, if Blair White was a biological female, I could easily see how I might be sexually interested. Knowing that Blair White is a biological male would quell any sexual interest I have.

I can see that Blair possesses aesthetic qualities which would make them attractive to heterosexual men, but acknowledging that doesn't change their biology.

Can someone be attracted to Blair and not sexually interested? If so are they straight or bi?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Define yourself as you want. It won't make you right if you use a word incorrectly.

The never ending stream of infinite genders can have whatever definition they want.

Heterosexual, bisexual and homosexual are all established and defined. Wanting to change the definition because of gender identity is bull****.

It's typical of the same people who claim separation of gender and sex when it suits and then conflating when they decide.

Let the gender identity obsessed have their genders and definitions that make them feel cosy and non triggered.

When it comes to actual biological sex, there needs to be some adherence to common sense.

You’re missing the point - in just the same way as you think you don’t have to care what other people think is right or wrong (you’re right and they’re wrong), other people have the same rights as you do to say they’re right and you’re wrong.

Common sense is only what makes sense to individuals according to their own perspective - so what sense you think is common to all people, evidently it’s not. If you’re going to put it in terms of who’s triggered by the fact that other people don’t share their ideas of common sense, then inevitably that means the person who claims they’re right and anyone who doesn’t share their perspective is wrong, depending of course on how deeply they are offended by reality.

Fortunately, there are objective standards which govern any society, and they are codified in laws and legislation. They override biology and ideology and all that stuff, in order that all people in society are regarded as equals, and individual circumstances where there is disagreement or unlawful discrimination are decided by the Courts, and not by individuals who think their ideas of common sense are the standard which everyone in society should be compelled to adhere to.

That's entirely up to the individual.

Some people aren't attracted to people who suffer from gender dysphoria.

Some bisexual people may have no interest in dating a trans person. They may have no interest in dating a "furry" even though they are either male or female. They may have no interest in feminist men or women.

It's not that they have an "issue".

They have a preference.

Why are you constantly inferring some sort of hive mind?

I will only date biological women. It doesn't mean I will date any biological woman.

And "sexuality is simple brigade"?

It is. You like one, the other, or both.

Very simple.

So the reason some people aren’t interested in trans people is a negative association with gender dysphoria and not that they are into one particular sex as we are often told? It’s pretty much what I always suspected. at least you are being honest about it.

Common sense is only what makes sense to individuals according to their own perspective - so what sense you think is common to all people, evidently it’s not.

Exactly. To make his system of simplicity work, the dunne has to propose that sexual attraction is based on knowledge of gender/sex.

One could easily claim that a person who believes that trans women are male and is sexually attracted to Blair White without knowing she is trans is sexually attracted to a male and therefore gay.

The Dunne’s common sense is only common to himself and those that agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Personally, I carry around a chromosomal spectrometer to test every woman I might be attracted to, just in case I'm being accidentally gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

If you're attracted to someone and you later find out they are trans, your attraction to them simply doesn't just instantly stop, that's not how it works, you might decide that you don't want to be in a relationship with them, but, that doesn't mean you're attraction would stop all of a sudden.
    Blair White was mentioned above, she's a very attractive transwoman and I'm sure there are loads of straight guys who are attracted to her even after they find out she is trans, does that make all these straight men bisexual, I don't think so, because they are attracted to the image she portrays, that of a conventionally attractive woman.

Exactly. To make his system of simplicity work, the dunne has to propose that sexual attraction is based on knowledge of gender/sex.

One could easily claim that a person who believes that trans women are male and is sexually attracted to Blair White without knowing she is trans is sexually attracted to a male and therefore gay.

The Dunne’s common sense is only common to himself and those that agree with him.

Just want to make sure....

You think COMMON sense is up to individual interpretation rather than common consensus?

That's no true.

Sexual attraction and sexual interest are different.

If I saw an attractive girl in a bar and found her attractive that's cool. If I found out she was underage, my sexual interest would disappear.

Same going for trans people. I could see a person who presented as a woman and find her attractive. If I found out they were biologically male, my sexual interest would disappear.

In the first instance, it doesn't make me a paedo, in the second, it doesn't make me bi, unless my sexual interest remained after knowing the truth.

Common sense is common sense unless you believe that every individual interpretation is as common as the general consensus.

But sure, you have no issue redefining words, so why would "common" be different to you.

Words mean nothing according to the vocal minority

• Advertisement

So the reason some people aren’t interested in trans people is a negative association with gender dysphoria and not that they are into one particular sex as we are often told? It’s pretty much what I always suspected. at least you are being honest about it.

It's much more simple than that.

Some people don't want to have sex with people who aren't the sex they are sexually interested in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement