Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

keano_afc wrote: »
    And what does the word "woman" refer to there?

And that's not a meaning. Its an example. Its actually quite hilarious to see you avoid answering a very straightforward question.

To remind you, YOU said the word woman has a meaning. Two posts later, you still haven't divulged what that meaning is.

Because meaning resides in the mind and as I’ve said repeatedly definitions can only approximate that.

What’s hilarious is that I’ve consistently said that definitions are approximations of meaning and you keep asking me for a definition. I’m being consistent.

So to sum up. Meaning exists. Definitions do not give meaning. So to ask for a definition is silly.

And what are "women"?

I’ve just answered. Women are cis women and trans women. I can give you definitions that would be APPROXIMATIONS of the meaning. But you would have to accept that picking holes in the definitions would be pointless as my belief is that they are approximations and should only be used as insights into my conceptualisation of cis women and trans women and not used to exclude anyone from those groups.

Lads we can close this off.

Mad that the mad feckers that will undoubtedly claim to be feminists are now insisting that woman means nothing.

Suffrage me hole.

Mad.

Protecting women and their identity is now misogynistic, transphobic and mean spirited.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Because meaning resides in the mind and as I’ve said repeatedly definitions can only approximate that.

What’s hilarious is that I’ve consistently said that definitions are approximations of meaning and you keep asking me for a definition. I’m being consistent.

So to sum up. Meaning exists. Definitions do not give meaning. So to ask for a definition is silly.

You said the word woman has a meaning. Meaning exists, as you admit. However, you're unable to state what the meaning of the word woman is.

This is why you dont believe transwomen are women. You have no meaning for the word woman, so your belief is not based on any identifiable reality.

Mad that the mad feckers that will undoubtedly claim to be feminists are now insisting that woman means nothing.

Suffrage me hole.

Mad.

Protecting women and their identity is now misogynistic, transphobic and mean spirited.

That’s a bizarre interpretation of what I said. It’s not that women means nothing. I’ve REPEATEDLY said it has a meaning but the definitions are approximations of that meaning.

Also the same applies to men, tables, colours etc. So it’s not misogynistic.

• Advertisement

Suffrage me hole.

Mad.

Its genuinely insane the lengths they go to.

A woman is an adult human female. Its not that complicated. I get why she cant say that, but deep down its what she believes.

You said the word woman has a meaning. Meaning exists, as you admit. However, you're unable to state what the meaning of the word woman is.

This is why you dont believe transwomen are women. You have no meaning for the word woman, so your belief is not based on any identifiable reality.

Nope you’re still misunderstanding. I’ve said that definitions are approximations. I could give a definition that approximates the concepts but then you’d start picking holes in them in the mistaken belief that the definition is supposed to be a precise description of the meaning.

By the way this is all very basic and commonly accepted psychology and linguistics. And nothing to do with postmodernism at all. Any developmental psychologist would tell you the exact same thing. You are actually being extremely unscientific by painting me as being absurd.

Nope you’re still misunderstanding. I’ve said that definitions are approximations. I could give a definition that approximates the concepts but then you’d start picking holes in them in the mistaken belief that the definition is supposed to be a precise description of the meaning.

By the way this is all very basic and commonly accepted psychology and linguistics. And nothing to do with postmodernism at all. Any developmental psychologist would tell you the exact same thing. You are actually being extremely unscientific by painting me as being absurd.

I think calling you absurd would be kind, to be honest.

Suffrage me hole.

Mad.

I agree.

"Women" now has no meaning, because it "resides in the mind".

You cannot debate someone who has wiped 99.2% of women off the market all because they want to accommodate the extreme belief that being a woman is just something that "resides in the mind" and has no objective definition beyond that.

This is beyond pathetic.

Over and out.

I see nobody will answer as to how children can accurately use words that they have never heard the definition of.

This must be the 5th or 6th time I’ve asked. Anybody care to answer? Or is there a reason you won’t answer?

• Advertisement

I agree.

"Women" now has no meaning, because it "resides in the mind".

You cannot debate someone who has wiped 99.2% of women off the market all because they want to accommodate the extreme belief that being a woman is something that "resides in the mind".

Over and out.

Completely misrepresenting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If there are an infinite amount of genders they can't be innate.

Surely you can admit that?

The concept of gender though, is what I mean when I say it’s innate. If eskimohunts idea were to have any validity, then they would struggle to explain the case of David Reimer for example, and we only know of that particular case because the sexologist in question, John Money, was an utter fcuknugget of the highest order.

My point is that there are no limitations on the terms, descriptors, labels, whatever word you want to use, that anyone can use to describe, or refer to, or again whatever word you want to use, to define their gender, and what their gender identity means to them, according to their understanding and beliefs about gender. It’s why I just don’t get too het up about gender, because I know the meaning and understanding of the concept varies across times and cultures and values and so on. On its own, the term isn’t particularly useful in terms of what information it provides about an individual. It’s the context in which it is used which provides a means to understand what a person or people are referring to when they use terms like masculine, feminine, non-binary, etc.

Consider it being used in the same way as a person’s name is part of their identity. Naming things isn’t innate, but the drive to name things and quantify things, is innate. It doesn’t matter for example that someone has the unfortunate name of Fanny Chmelar (as Bradley Walsh remarked “I’d be straight down the Courthouse in the morning” :D). In their own language, which isn’t English, it doesn’t carry the same meaning, or have the same connotations as it does to us in the English language.

I often receive emails too from people who’s names send me into convulsions of laughter (I’m told I have a one-track mind :pac:), but in their own language or society, their names are as benign as John or Jane Smith is to us who are more familiar with English language. Speaking of emails, it’s often the case too that I have no idea of the gender or sex of the person with whom I am communicating, and there’s no way to tell from just their name, so I’m well-used to using the third person form of personal pronouns to refer to them, they, they’re and their, and it’s really not the big deal or unreasonable demand that it’s made out to be by some people on social media. I don’t feel that I am being compelled in any way to use a person’s preferred pronouns, and in just the same way as I often have to copy and paste a person’s name (because its important when addressing someone directly that I at least make the effort to spell their name correctly), it’s the same thing when referring to people how they wish to be referred to by their preferred pronouns.

It’s just basic manners and an extension of recognition of other people’s dignity and value as a human being, a courtesy if you will, no different than I would expect the same in return. I don’t consider that an unreasonable request, but some people imagine they can refer to other people however they like and imagine there should be no consequences for their actions. It’s never been the case that anyone could be as rude, obnoxious and just downright arsehole behaviour and attitudes towards other people, without there being any consequences for their actions!

I see nobody will answer as to how children can accurately use words that they have never heard the definition of.

This must be the 5th or 6th time I’ve asked. Anybody care to answer? Or is there a reason you won’t answer?

Maybe the answer resides in the mind.

I'm out. Too much crazy in here for me.

Maybe the answer resides in the mind.

I'm out. Too much crazy in here for me.

Yes the answer does reside in the mind. The fact that you call that crazy is truly shocking.

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/how-children-learn-meanings-words

Summary
    How do children learn that the word "dog" refers not to all four-legged animals, and not just to Ralph, but to all members of a particular species? How do they learn the meanings of verbs like "think," adjectives like "good," and words for abstract entities such as "mortgage" and "story"? The acquisition of word meaning is one of the fundamental issues in the study of mind.

According to Paul Bloom, children learn words through sophisticated cognitive abilities that exist for other purposes. These include the ability to infer others' intentions, the ability to acquire concepts, an appreciation of syntactic structure, and certain general learning and memory abilities. Although other researchers have associated word learning with some of these capacities, Bloom is the first to show how a complete explanation requires all of them. The acquisition of even simple nouns requires rich conceptual, social, and linguistic capacities interacting in complex ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yes the answer does reside in the mind. The fact that you call that crazy is truly shocking.

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/how-children-learn-meanings-words

Summary
    How do children learn that the word "dog" refers not to all four-legged animals, and not just to Ralph, but to all members of a particular species? How do they learn the meanings of verbs like "think," adjectives like "good," and words for abstract entities such as "mortgage" and "story"? The acquisition of word meaning is one of the fundamental issues in the study of mind.

According to Paul Bloom, children learn words through sophisticated cognitive abilities that exist for other purposes. These include the ability to infer others' intentions, the ability to acquire concepts, an appreciation of syntactic structure, and certain general learning and memory abilities. Although other researchers have associated word learning with some of these capacities, Bloom is the first to show how a complete explanation requires all of them. The acquisition of even simple nouns requires rich conceptual, social, and linguistic capacities interacting in complex ways.
    Simple. Children know the difference between a cat and a dog before they have the words to name them. A bit like they know the difference between men and women very early on too.

I wonder how on earth you think that all this means that children are wrong to assume that those differences that they can see between men and women are meaningful.

I wonder how on earth you think that all this means that children are wrong to assume that those differences that they can see between men and women are meaningful.

I never said anything of the sort.

I never said anything of the sort.

So you acknowledge that biological men are different than biological women and they are (without extensive surgery and without make-up) easily distinguished?

And therefore men are different than women?

Completely misrepresenting me.

Defining the word women by using the word women is absolutely defining the position you hold

That’s a bizarre interpretation of what I said. It’s not that women means nothing. I’ve REPEATEDLY said it has a meaning but the definitions are approximations of that meaning.

Also the same applies to men, tables, colours etc. So it’s not misogynistic.

So **** definitions is your stance.

Definitions are a construct.

At the end of the day chief, I'm arguing against someone who either pretends to, or can't, define what a woman is. That's something my daughter could do when she was able to speak.

It's either feeding into some sick need to be a white knight or arguing against someone who isn't capable of knowing the difference between a man or a woman.

Either way, I fail to believe you are acting in good faith or you actually care about the topic.

I'll leave you be.

My final point and I can't believe I need to reiterate it, is that kindergarten cop was right.

You keep fighting the illogical fight.

So you acknowledge that biological men are different than biological women and they are (without extensive surgery and without make-up) easily distinguished?

And therefore men are different than women?

Yes people with xx chromosomes are different from people with xy chromosomes.

And yes women (cis women and trans women) are different to men (cis men and trans men)

• Advertisement

So **** definitions is your stance.

Definitions are a construct.

They’re a handy approximation. They’re useful when they’re useful and not useful when they’re not.

For example the definition of heterosexual was not useful to you a few pages back where to communicate what you meant by heterosexual you had to add in many concepts that were not part of the definition.

Why? Because the definition only approximated what you had in mind.

They’re a handy approximation. They’re useful when they’re useful and not useful when they’re not.

For example the definition of heterosexual was not useful to you a few pages back where to communicate what you meant by heterosexual you had to add in many concepts that were not part of the definition.

Why? Because the definition only approximated what you had in mind.

Dude, heterosexual never changed.

Fancying someone of the opposite sex.

If you found out they weren't , you don't fancy them any more.

Simples

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....but then find out it's a goose... It's not a duck

Dude, heterosexual never changed.

Fancying someone of the opposite sex.

If you found out they weren't , you don't fancy them any more.

Simples

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....but then find out it's a goose... It's not a duck

Again that’s not what the definition says. It doesn’t say anything about context or finding out later. The definition simply states that if you are male and you find a male attractive then you are not heterosexual.

It doesn’t say the male has to present in a stereotypical male way or that it has anything to do with your perception of their sex. These are things you have added.

Why do you have to add them? Because the definition is an approximation and is imprecise.

Yes people with xx chromosomes are different from people with xy chromosomes.

And yes women (cis women and trans women) are different to men (cis men and trans men)

Ugh, I wanted to be out.

So...

Tell me.

What if any difference are there, in your sage opinion, biologically between what you consider cis men and trans women?

Again that’s not what the definition says. It doesn’t say anything about context or finding out later. The definition simply states that if you are male and you find a male attractive then you are not heterosexual.

It doesn’t say the male has to present in a stereotypical male way or that it has anything to do with your perception of their sex. These are things you have added.

Why do you have to add them? Because the definition is an approximation and is imprecise.

Lol

You and your definitions.

A man is a biological male human

A woman is a biological female human.

Do you agree?

Ugh, I wanted to be out.

So...

Tell me.

What if any difference are there, in your sage opinion, biologically between what you consider cis men and trans women?

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/research-on-the-transgender-brain-what-you-should-know/

Lol

You and your definitions.

A man is a biological male human

A woman is a biological female human.

Do you agree?

We disagree on the definitions of male and female as well as man and woman so if I answer that question you will not understand the answer as you assign different meanings to the words male and female.

The very first quote from that link:
    What’s going on in your brain plays a large role in determining the gender you identify with — and researchers working with transgender people are just starting to understand how.

Gender is not sex. You can't change biological sex.

Even if you accept the premise that there is such a thing as "male brains" and "female brains", that means absolutely nothing at all.

You could have a homosexual man (and I am one of those) who is even more effeminate than a transgender woman due to brain circuitry, but it wouldn't make that homosexual man a woman.

Brain circuitry =/= biological sex.

Chromosomes = sex; the XX and XY.

And those cannot be changed - hence why men and women have remained largely completely static since the inception of Homo sapiens (and almost every other major species).

The very first quote from that link:

Gender is not sex. You can't change biological sex.

Even if you accept the premise that there is such a thing as "male brains" and "female brains", that means absolutely nothing at all.

You could have a homosexual man (and I am one of those) who is even more effeminate than a transgender woman due to brain circuitry, but it wouldn't make that homosexual man a woman.

Brain circuitry =/= biological sex.

Chromosomes = sex; the XX and XY.

And those cannot be changed - hence why men and women have remained largely completely static since the inception of Homo sapiens (and almost every other major species).

Considering knowledge of chromosome is incredibly new in terms of human history, whereas the terms man and woman have been used probably since we first started speaking (obviously in different languages) then the definition has most definitely not been a constant.

• Advertisement

We disagree on the definitions of male and female as well as man and woman so if I answer that question you will not understand the answer as you assign different meanings to the words male and female.

Well then talking to you is no different to speaking with my daughter as to why she can't be a mermaid unicorn.

Go for it chief. Be the best knight you can.

My newest daughter was born two weeks ago. Funnily enough, we didn't have to wait until she told us if she was a girl or a boy.

I hope, and genuinely do so, you never have to wait until your children decide if they are male or female.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement