Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Or.... Preempting a problem which may exist.

No fully functioning male has ever assaulted young girls while a Brown Oel in the Brownies - no reason to prevent this if they identify as female.

Do we shouldn’t try to prevent it as it’s not happened yet ???

Or should we plan for every possibility and find ways to prevent them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gatling wrote: »
    No it's not a red herring .

There is absolutely nothing any where in the legislation that says no you cannot - this is true .

Gender is now turning into a consumer product or
    Choice ,and the legislation posted only applies to gender identity cert ,
    So if you don't seek a government approved gender recognition cert none of the legislation applies ,you can be Paul on Monday ,mary on Wednesday ,Mick on Saturday And Patricia on Sunday ,

The declaration says that you would intend to live in the preferred gender for the rest of your life. Please find me a Minister and some Peace Commissioners, Notary Public, Commissioner for Oaths and Solicitors that will agree to sign these documents regularly for 1 person.

Otherwise your point is frankly an absurd irrelevant nonsense red herring

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

volchitsa wrote: »
    Since the law on self declaration? Refused on what grounds?

Given they allowed a dangerous sex offender with a hatred of, and desire to hurt women to transition - I’d be very interested to learn what the refusal entailed.

I’m certain Joey has the details if he posted there had been one.

The declaration says that you would intend to live in the preferred gender for the rest of your life. Please find me a Minister and some Peace Commissioners, Notary Public, Commissioner for Oaths and Solicitors that will agree to sign these documents regularly for 1 person.

Otherwise your point is frankly an absurd irrelevant nonsense red herring

Details please of the refusal for a certificate you quoted ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Application for yes ,

Now show us where exactly it says that you apply for one ,

So if someone self identifies they don't have to nor can they forced to .

This is correct yes

Anyone at all serious about going through a transition will be required to follow state guidelines.

I am not going down any hypothetical tangents here either btw, I would appreciate it if you stuck to known knowns at least.

If you are raising the issue of there being no procedures and that it is a chaotic free for all I will simply be losing respect for your input into the discussion.

The leg is there, look it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The declaration says that you would intend to live in the preferred gender for the rest of your life[./quote]

Which does not apply to those who self identify or those who see their gender as fluid ,
    Not everyone who claims to be transgender with physically change through surgery or will ask for a gender recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Gervais08 wrote: »

Here's the 2018 report: https://assets.gov.ie/70336/d7b77746a61f48af83c8aa0004224ac9.pdf

Per page 4, one application was refused in 2017. I don't recall a twitter storm or resignations. Do you?

Section 14 of the act, it is printed a few pages back.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Since the law on self declaration? Refused on what grounds?

In 2017 a person applied for a gender recognition cert. The Minister refused the application.

No reason has been published or reported why The Minister refused the application.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There is none in any of the documents posted it dates a single case in '17 there is no further details or explanation why or what was refused and if that person appealed and if they succeeded or not .

• Advertisement

Which does not apply to those who self identify or those who see their gender as fluid ,
    Not everyone who claims to be transgender with physically change through surgery or will ask for a gender recognition.

Anyone legally claiming to be trans will need their certificate though?

There are no details published or reported. The only known fact is an application was refused. Its in the 2017 annual report.

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/ea16c-gender-recognition-annual-reports/

Terry Pratchet

IAMAMORON wrote: »

That's not the issue with the prisoner case though which is a legitimate concern about the self ID provisions of the Gender Recognition Act: https://www.lawsociety.ie/gazette/top-stories/male-bodied-transgender-inmate-housed-with-women-prisoners/

The declaration says that you would intend to live in the preferred gender for the rest of your life

We were talking about legal gender recocgnition in the state. Gender fluid is not a legally recognised gender in the state so the point you are trying to make doesnt exist.

Terry Pratchet

IAMAMORON wrote: »

No .
    Again there is no law or legislation that says they have to none they can't be forced to have a certificate and they don't actually apply for one .

It's only if you actually choose to do so .

For instance if you or I came out tomorrow and said we were now trans ,can you or I be legally forced to apply for a certificate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

After reading through this thread, I feel as confused as the people with " gender fluidity"

No .
    Again there is no law or legislation that says they have to none they can't be forced to have a certificate and they don't actually apply for one .

It's only if you actually choose to do so .

For instance if you or I came out tomorrow and said we were now trans ,can you or I be legally forced to apply for a certificate

You cant be forced to apply for a certificate no but you wont get legally recognised in your preferred gender. All your official documentation; pps no, psc card, passport, drivers license, birth cert remain in your gender assigned at birth.

Terry Pratchet

That's not the issue with the prisoner case though which is a legitimate concern about the self ID provisions of the Gender Recognition Act: https://www.lawsociety.ie/gazette/top-stories/male-bodied-transgender-inmate-housed-with-women-prisoners/

It is an entirely unique scenario which is being handled by the state as well as possible.

There may need to be amendments made concerning this as a result, but I don't see its' relevance in this discussion.

Eitherway the prisoner in question is being held in solitary confinement and as far as I am aware has no access to other prisoners, male or female. By all accounts this prisoner is extremely dangerous and requires unique care.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

your gender assigned at birth.

“Assigned at birth”

Or just, ya know, what you are.

You cant be forced to apply for a certificate no but you wont get legally recognised in your preferred gender. All your official documentation; pps no, psc card, passport, drivers license, birth cert remain in your gender assigned at birth.

Assigned at birth??? Ffs.

Viewed at scan or birth you’ll find.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    “Assigned at birth”

Or just, ya know, what you are.
    Assigned at birth??? Ffs.

Viewed at scan or birth you’ll find.

You two are confusing sex with gender. Sex is almost always obvious (there are cases of biological sex being unclear and the doctors/family getting it wrong), gender mostly so. But if it was entirely clear cut and obvious like you imply here, there would be no need for this thread.

You two are confusing sex with gender. Sex is almost always obvious (there are cases of biological sex being unclear and the doctors/family getting it wrong), gender mostly so. But if it was entirely clear cut and obvious like you imply here, there would be no need for this thread.

It is. “Gender” to the woke types these days means “outdated stereotypes”.

It is. “Gender” to the woke types these days means “outdated stereotypes”.

To be clear, are you actually denying the existence of intersex people and/or transgender people? Is it all a hoax?

To be clear, are you actually denying the existence of intersex people and/or transgender people? Is it all a hoax?

Bad faith arguing there and putting words in my mouth - not good.

No, intersex people are not germane to this issue and I’m really tired of them being used as a handy prop to argue with.

They have a medical condition that is diagnosable and most live as the sex they most physically resemble and/or were born as.

I’m talking about people feeling they are “the wrong gender” when they think being a woman is wearing make up and high heels and not playing sports or with Meccano as a kid.

Why society is not pushing back with this fact is beyond me. There is no place for stereotypes any more if we are to get equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

We were talking about legal gender recocgnition in the state. Gender fluid is not a legally recognised gender in the state so the point you are trying to make doesnt exist.

Is it a thing in your opinion?

Bad faith arguing there and putting words in my mouth - not good.

No, intersex people are not germane to this issue and I’m really tired of them being used as a handy prop to argue with.

They have a medical condition that is diagnosable and most live as the sex they most physically resemble and/or were born as.

I’m talking about people feeling they are “the wrong gender” when they thing being a woman is wearing make up and high heels and not playing sports or with Meccano as a kid.

Why society is not pushing back with this fact is beyond me. There is no place for stereotypes any more if we are to get equality.

I reject the bad faith label here. It was a simple question. You allege in response to my previous post that gender is clear cut. That appears to me to suggest that transgender is something that doesn't exist. Asking for clarification on this POV is not bad faith arguing.

Which you didn't answer btw.

So let's try again, are you actually denying the existence of transgender people? Is it all a hoax?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Nobody denied anything. Nobody said anyone doesn't exist.

If transgender people don't exist why are we having a conversation about them. This doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Intersex is a scientific term. They exist. Those with a medical diagnosis as transgender exist. Those self identifying do not except in their own heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Nobody denied anything.
    Nobody said anyone doesn't exist.

If transgender people don't exist why are we having a conversation about them. This doesn't make any sense.
    Palmach wrote: »
    Intersex is a scientific term. They exist. Those with a medical diagnosis as transgender exist. Those self identifying do not except in their own heads.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Palmach wrote: »

No

A Self identifying trans people do legally exist so your assertion they dont exist is wrong
    B There isnt a medical diagnosis as transgender
    C People who have filled out the self declaration forms for a gender recognition cert often have got a medical diagnosis so your assumption that trans people are either medically diagnosed as transgender or self identified as transgender is wrong

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement