Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Where do you stand on professionals losing jobs for stating the immutable incontrovertible fact that biological sex is real and unchangeable???

They should just get on with their jobs.

They are not employed to start ruffling feathers on controversial issues, they are paid to get their jobs done.

It is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that all staff have a fair and reputable place of work, any employees stirring up issues which do not involve them are liable to be dismissed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Yeah the world is ****ed.

And if you can find a better word to describe sitting in a room full of women desperate not to have their breasts removed and saying how you wish you were them than “shameful” have at it.

And removing flesh that is still developing and lying that “we’ll put them back later” ??? Mutilation.

I will never apologize for defending girls and women from the ideological onslaught.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    They should just get on with their jobs.

They are not employed to start ruffling feathers on controversial issues, they are paid to get their jobs done.

It is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that all staff have a fair and reputable place of work, any employees stirring up issues which do not involve them are liable to be dismissed.

Doctors have lost their jobs. Scientists have been fired. I’d say that is very much in their area of expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Camille Paglia , has an interesting thesis that androgyny is a sign of late stage culture , Im guessing any excess in one direction gets corrected at some stage.

https://twitter.com/Shadow_man311/status/1329270067289346048

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Camille Paglia , has an interesting thesis that androgyny is a sign of late stage culture , Im guessing any excess in one direction gets corrected at some stage.

Incredible woman she is.

It’s a pity that decades of androgynous expression is being stomped on by gender identity ideologues.

Was an amazing cultural phenomenon while it lasted. Embraced it myself in the late 80s as did some very glam male pals.

• Advertisement

Doctors have lost their jobs. Scientists have been fired. I’d say that is very much in their area of expertise.

No they haven't.

The only people who lose their jobs over getting cynical about transsexualism are idealistic piss-takers, or some idiot in a public job getting ahead of themselves on Twitter.

Bigots do not deserve employment, that is why they get fired, not for being bigots btw, but for not keeping their mouths shut on issues that do not concern them and thus bringing their employers into disrepute.

Freedom of speech is all well and good, but when it evolves into hate speech or condemning or undermining other people's beliefs in a cynical way it needs to be called out.

There is a difference between over the top wokism and outright bullying of a part of life you do not want to accept or tolerate.

Employers have a duty of care to all their employees, when another employee decides that they want to bring an entity into disrepute over their own opinion they are susceptible to the policies of their employers whilst doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd imagine everyone on boards should be sacked for voicing any opinions on anything if that's the case .

Any one sacked for voicing opinions on social media or elsewhere due to external interventions and threats and noting to do with anything to do with their employed roles

Bigots do not deserve employment,

Everyone deserves to be employed ,

Now that's bigotry ,

All a tiny cohort want is to punish people for not subscribing to a made up ideology

Gatling wrote: »
    I'd imagine everyone on boards should be sacked for voicing any opinions on anything if that's the case .

Any one sacked for voicing opinions on social media or elsewhere due to external interventions and threats and noting to do with anything to do with their employed roles

It does if they are representing their employers.

If any employee brings an employer into disrepute their job is immediately at risk.

Great comment under the tweet- the left has lost the capacity to produce strong men...
    (Or something)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's think it was Nietzsche who said that deviant behavior was one of the signs of a dying society. It wasn't the cause, but in a falling civilization these things have space to rise.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Now that's bigotry ,

All a tiny cohort want is to punish people for not subscribing to a made up ideology

Define bigotry ?

No they haven't.

The only people who lose their jobs over getting cynical about transsexualism are idealistic piss-takers, or some idiot in a public job getting ahead of themselves on Twitter.

Bigots do not deserve employment, that is why they get fired, not for being bigots btw, but for not keeping their mouths shut on issues that do not concern them and thus bringing their employers into disrepute.

Freedom of speech is all well and good, but when it evolves into hate speech or condemning or undermining other people's beliefs in a cynical way it needs to be called out.

There is a difference between over the top wokism and outright bullying of a part of life you do not want to accept or tolerate.

Employers have a duty of care to all their employees, when another employee decides that they want to bring an entity into disrepute over their own opinion they are susceptible to the policies of their employers whilst doing so.

You could not be more wrong.

You are forcing people to accept made up nonsense that goes against science and biology and common ****ing sense - and giving the choice, stay quiet or be fired.

How is that progressive ??? It’s something out of 50s Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Now that's bigotry ,

I suppose it is bigotry in a funny sort of way - bigots have rights too!

I honestly think this thread has run its natural course. Any point that is being made is always going to come back to arguments on these terms.
    I came here to learn about the thread topic. I learned a whole lot about something else.

It's been interesting to say the least.

Great comment under the tweet- the left has lost the capacity to produce strong men...
    (Or something)

You will have to quote it - what twitter shows you is different from what it shows other people.

(This takes me to another point, most people use these platforms, but don't really understand much about how they manipulate for the sake of making money).

km991148 wrote: »
    I suppose it is bigotry in a funny sort of way - bigots have rights too!

Got to love Equality not just for a few

km991148 wrote: »
    You will have to quote it - what twitter shows you is different from what it shows other people.

(This takes me to another point, most people use these platforms, but don't really understand much about how they manipulate for the sake of making money).

That was the gist of it.
    Click the Twitter link, its the second post in the series

You are forcing people to accept made up nonsense that goes against science and biology and common ****ing sense - and giving the choice, stay quiet or be fired.

As opposed to it being tolerant of all humans and their rights?

Not tolerating Transsexuals is very akin to 3rd millennium Russia, never mind the communist 50's.

I said it many posts ago, it never ceases to amaze me how it is non transgenders that are offering the most opposition to it.

It is a bit rich to spout words like " progressive" when talking about the Public Relations or Human resources of a business and then say that a business is acting regressively by dismissing bigots wasting company time and bringing its mission and raison d'etre into disrepute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Can I further remind you to re-read the OP of this thread and treat other posters with respect or your posting access to this thread will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

TomTomTim wrote: »
    It's think it was Nietzsche who said that deviant behavior was one of the signs of a dying society. It wasn't the cause, but in a falling civilization these things have space to rise.

Are you calling being trans "deviant behaviour"?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nietzsche was a deluded eejit at least half the time, with the occasional burst of brilliance.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

As opposed to it being tolerant of all humans and their rights?

Not tolerating Transsexuals is very akin to 3rd millennium Russia, never mind the communist 50's.

I said it many posts ago, it never ceases to amaze me how it is non transgenders that are offering the most opposition to it.

Opposition to what? Intolerant of what?

The right of a trans gender person to exist and express themselves as their preferred gender?
    To go about their business?

Don't think anyone has a problem with that...
    It's when the rights of others are affected is the issue for most of us.

No one is advocating rounding them up and sending them to the gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

TomTomTim wrote: »

It's not deviant behaviour.

You should have more sympathy for individuals and what they are going through rather then dismissing it so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A transwoman has the right to believe themselves a woman.

Do I have the right not to believe they are a woman?

"IAMAMORON wrote: »

It is a bit rich to spout words like " progressive" when talking about the Public Relations or Human resources of a business and then say that a business is acting regressively by dismissing bigots wasting company time and bringing its mission and raison d'etre into disrepute.

There sacking people for voicing an opinion ,it's external threats against companies and HR to sack one based not agreeing with someone else on social media .

Nothing but bullying and abuse is all it is .

There sacking people for voicing an opinion ,it's external threats against companies and HR to sack one based not agreeing with someone else on social media .

Nothing but bullying and abuse is all it is .

Who are 'they'? Are we still talking hypothetically speaking or is this a concrete example?

The right of a trans gender person to exist and express themselves as their preferred gender?

Great.

But why is it that the " most of us " care so much about it so as to go online and make derogatory comments about their existence?

I mean you are either respecting their human rights are you aren't? There is no middle ground here, no grey area.

Going online to express hate speech about any section of society is not to be tolerated, it is not about freedom of speech, it is a matter of respecting your fellow neighbours and persons right to exist.

Not if you want to keep your job, no.

I think there are lots of examples of intolerance and opposition (talking about made up ideologies and the like).

I also think there is an assumption that believing in one thing automatically means another (fir example accepting trans community means for denying women of their rights or forced transitions etc)

• Advertisement

Maybe you do. But going online to express or condemn their right is circumventing their existence and interfering with it.

Just because you have a belief does not automatically entitle you to express it .... or to interfere with someone else's belief just because you don't agree with it.

It is akin to Nazi Germany in the 30's, think about it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement