Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

schmittel wrote: »
    I am not a big twitterer. It is is bit extreme on all sides of any debate.

I would say "Hang on I thought you were a woman?" and I would be pretty cheesed off about. I would feel my consent to intimacy had been obtained by deception.

And I'd be furious to be then accused of a hate crime for misgendering.

It sounds complicated to be honest.

I just try to enjoy my sex life, keep it enjoyable.

I would advise going forward to maybe open conversation with a potential partner before engaging with casual sex. I mean I am not a sex therapist, but I have rarely found myself in an overly compromising scenario like you mentioned.

Most Transsexuals will be straight up with you about their sexual orientation and what their preferences are. I have never encountered any transsexuals who are motivated by tricking potential partners into bed, it is a highly unlikely scenario.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Gervais08 wrote: »
    All true but a man can never have lesbian sex with a woman.

I have tried a few times in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fodax

schmittel wrote: »
    I
    I would say "Hang on I thought you were a woman?" and I would be pretty cheesed off about. I would feel my consent to intimacy had been obtained by deception.

Sounds like you met someone you clicked with and you found them physically attractive. Maybe don't give up on her so easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It does. Clearly you missed the point. Cis people can be lesbian, gay or bi or straight and trans people can be lesbian, gay or bi or straight.

But for non trans folk ,your one or the other but with trans a straight man becomes a lesbian and a gay trans women m-f becomes straight .

It's becomes a new complex minefield

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gatling wrote: »
    But for non trans folk ,your one or the other but with trans a straight man becomes a lesbian and a gay trans women m-f becomes straight .

It's becomes a new a new complex minefield

Sexuality and gender are complex.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

They’re really really not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Sexuality - what turns you on.
    Gender - what bits you have.

Simple really.

You have a world of adjectives, suffixes, prefixes and more at your disposal to affect those nouns, you don't need to replace them with new ones that only 0. 1% of the population want.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Sexuality - what turns you on.
    Gender - what bits you have.

Simple really.

You have a world of adjectives, suffixes, prefixes and more at your disposal to affect those nouns, you don't need to replace them with new ones that only 0. 1% of the population want.

I’m a woman.
    I like men.
    If Gal Gadot hits on me that might be added to.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Absolutely - when the self identifying woman wants to have sex with “other“ lesbians.

Why would a same sex attracted woman want to have straight, penetrative sex with a male body???

Do people not talk to each other anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭ingalway

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    You dont need a random article to explain that to you, all you need is logic.
    If you tell a gay young boy that he could become an heterosexual woman by simply taking hormones and surgery you have turned a gay man into a heterosexual trans.
    I would imagine that a lot of gay/lesbians will have a problem with this
    Yes, it's conversion therapy, it's homophobic and extremely dangerous for those children who could at the least could end up very emotionally damaged and at worst end up on puberty blockers, hormone therapy and getting surgery.
    The old fashioned Pray The Gay Away converstion therapy was bad enough but this is much worse. Children copy each other that is why there are huge increases in children who are supposedly trans. Social contagion - it gets you noticed, makes you popular, you get to play the oppression card and push boundaries and probably scare your parents stupid - what attention seeking/needy kid wouldn't do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ingalway wrote: »
    Yes, it's conversion therapy, it's homophobic and extremely dangerous for those children who could at the least could end up very emotionally damaged and at worst end up on puberty blockers, hormone therapy and getting surgery.
    The old fashioned Pray The Gay Away converstion therapy was bad enough but this is much worse. Children copy each other that is why there are huge increases in children who are supposedly trans. Social contagion - it gets you noticed, makes you popular, you get to play the oppression card and push boundaries and probably scare your parents stupid - what attention seeking/needy kid wouldn't do it?

Why are you trying to pretend trans children dont exist?Trans children dont have surgery. There seems to be also this false idea that medical treatment is just thrown at children who identify as trans nonchalantly. This isnt true. Any medical treatments for children who identify as trans would be after extensive discussion with a range of medical professionals such as counsellors, psychologists, psychotherapists, family therapists, socisl workers. Any medical treatments would have strict criteria before it is given.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Why are you trying to pretend trans children dont exist?Trans children dont have surgery. There seems to be also this false idea that medical treatment is just thrown at children who identify as trans nonchalantly. This isnt true. Any medical treatments for children who identify as trans would be after extensive discussion with a range of medical professionals such as counsellors, psychologists, psychotherapists, family therapists, socisl workers. Any medical treatments would have strict criteria before it is given.

And that includes off label drugs with no studies done into long term after effects?

Drugs that lower bone density ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And that includes off label drugs with no studies done into long term after effects?

Drugs that lower bone density ?

I'd be interested to see if there is actually any guidelines on it all ,
    Remember we've seen multiple cases where parents claim there 3 year olds have come out as trans oh look my child is the youngest trans in the UK, followed by another parent oh my child is younger like it's a competition to get somekind of social media followings ,
    Children are too easy manipulated into believing this nonsense , explain why children are being sent from here to tavistock ,

They should not be refering any child in Ireland to that sham clinic who coach children how to ask for puberty blockers .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Only recently discovered that the term Scissor Sisters refers to lesbian way of makin da love!

...also, I presume "ladyboys" in Thailand are the same sex as transexuals or transgender people?

I find it hard to keep up,
    with all the terms.

Gatling wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see if there is actually any guidelines on it all ,
    Remember we've seen multiple cases where parents claim there 3 year olds have come out as trans oh look my child is the youngest trans in the UK, followed by another parent oh my child is younger like it's a competition to get somekind of social media followings ,
    Children are too easy manipulated into believing this nonsense , explain why children are being sent from here to tavistock ,

They should not be refering any child in Ireland to that sham clinic who coach children how to ask for puberty blockers .

Story in a women’s magazine this week (I get it for the puzzles!!!) about a woman and her transgender four year old.

That kid will be on drugs before he’s out of junior school and could - if early results of “puberty blockers” are proving correct, be suffering from osteoporosis at 35.

Is it worth it when you could just embrace who you are and not be a stereotype???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sexuality.

Straight, Gay, Bisexual, Asexual.

Gender.

Male, Female, Intersex.

No matter how deep one goes into the weirder end of Tumblr gender/sexuality and the cornucopia of newly minted labels there isn't a single label that doesn't fit within the above definitions.

Plus I thought the "progressive" politic was - unlike the "right" who pigeon hole people with labels - trying to reduce labels, not add to them? It does appear the "right on" have way more labels than the "right". Or the quite natural if self indulgent and adolescent need to ascribe a label and community to oneself has gone rogue.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Story in a women’s magazine this week (I get it for the puzzles!!!) about a woman and her transgender four year old.

That kid will be on drugs before he’s out of junior school and could - if early results of “puberty blockers” are proving correct, be suffering from osteoporosis at 35.

Is it worth it when you could just embrace who you are and not be a stereotype???

Sounds like a legit source...

Paragraph two - is this a statement of fact, or your personal prediction?

Because as it reads, the only fact here is that you that there was a story about a woman and her transgender four year old in a womans maagzine. For all we know, you could have only read the headline and assumed eveything else.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

A transgender 4 year old is like a vegan cat, we all know who's making the lifestyle choices.

Because as it reads, the only fact here is that you that there was a story about a woman and her transgender four year old in a womans maagzine. For all we know, you could have only read the headline and assumed eveything else.

I read the lot, thanks.

And yeah it’s a **** women’s magazine but I didn’t realize I had to wait till the Chicago Sun Times reported on it, I was making a comment. You disagree fine - but argue, not mock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Only recently discovered that the term Scissor Sisters refers to lesbian way of makin da love!

...also, I presume "ladyboys" in Thailand are the same sex as transexuals or transgender people?

I find it hard to keep up,
    with all the terms.

Mod:

Do not post in this thread again

• Advertisement

A transgender 4 year old is like a vegan cat, we all know who's making the lifestyle choices.

Oh yeah. Mother even says “we tried to get her to stay the sex she was by encouraging her to play with her cars”.

Let him be him and play with his Barbie if he wants what’s the harm ???? Do we not value individualism any more ???

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Oh yeah. Mother even says “we tried to get her to stay the sex she was by encouraging her to play with her cars”.

Let him be him and play with his Barbie if he wants what’s the harm ???? Do we not value individualism any more ???

When i was a kid we had girls that were ‘tomboys’ , liked climbing trees and playing football.. i pity any girl like that now, youd have the ‘progressive’ mother looking up puberty blockers etc...

I have a 3.5 year old boy, on a given day he will play with lego, dolls, tractors, play kitchen, pram, jigsaws. Sometimes he asks for pigtails in his hair if his sister is getting some in.

Where do I get these hormone blockers, he is obviously struggling with his identity and I need some social media attention dammit.

When i was a kid we had girls that were ‘tomboys’ , liked climbing trees and playing football.. i pity any girl like that now, youd have the ‘progressive’ mother looking up puberty blockers etc...

I was - and remain - a tomboy. I’m still a woman and tbh show me a spider and you get a girly shriek!!!

I have a 3.5 year old boy, on a given day he will play with lego, dolls, tractors, play kitchen, pram, jigsaws. Sometimes he asks for pigtails in his hair if his sister is getting some in.

Where do I get these hormone blockers, he is obviously struggling with his identity and I need some social media attention dammit.

Let him play kitchen!! Gordon Ramsay is worth millions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Previously children did not socially transition until after they had been seen by gender clinic. Now clinics are reporting that children have already socially transitioned before been seen.
    Under watchful waiting approach 80% of the children grew out of it (many of these children turned out to be gay). So yes there clearly is transgender children no argument there, however under affirmative model nearly every child who goes onto puberty blockers end up taking hormones. The evidence is pointing to a scenario that once a child ends up on the transitioning pathway they don’t turn back.

We don’t know the full long term effects of puberty blockers. Parents were told the effects were fully reversible. Thankfully there was push back and parents are at least told the long term effects are unknown.

So given all of the above I can see why posters are uneasy when they see young children being considered trans.

Let him play kitchen!! Gordon Ramsay is worth millions!!!

Absolutely, and the fact he is, you know, a fcuking 3.5 year old.

Thats what boils my piss the most.

A kid will turn round to their parents and say i wish i was a boy / girl, all of a sudden ma and pa decide their kid is trans so start them on a course of irreparable damage. These cnuts should be charged with child abuse.

If a person cannot legally consent to having sex in most civilised countries til they are at least 16 then how if the fcuk can they decide what sex they should be?

Ive no doubt that there are 100% real people that feel they are misgendered and will take the informed decision to go down the full corrective route incl surgeries, fair play to them but parents making that decision for someone that cannot yet tie their own shoelaces? Criminal. As for these attention seeking arseholes that want to identify as female but keep their giblets attached? GTFO tbh.

mohawk wrote: »
    Previously children did not socially transition until after they had been seen by gender clinic. Now clinics are reporting that children have already socially transitioned before been seen.
    Under watchful waiting approach 80% of the children grew out of it (many of these children turned out to be gay). So yes there clearly is transgender children no argument there, however under affirmative model nearly every child who goes onto puberty blockers end up taking hormones. The evidence is pointing to a scenario that once a child ends up on the transitioning pathway they don’t turn back.

We don’t know the full long term effects of puberty blockers. Parents were told the effects were fully reversible. Thankfully there was push back and parents are at least told the long term effects are unknown.

So given all of the above I can see why posters are uneasy when they see young children being considered trans.

This mother even proudly says “I knew I was having a girl!!”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I read the lot, thanks.

And yeah it’s a **** women’s magazine but I didn’t realize I had to wait till the Chicago Sun Times reported on it, I was making a comment. You disagree fine - but argue, not mock.

... and yet didn't naswer the question I asked about whether yo uwere making a prediction or it was fact stated in the article you read. Care to do so now?

And this would be why:
    mohawk wrote: »

... because of this is happening, then I agree - it needs to be stopped.

I just find it difficult to believe - and I'm totally open to correction on this - that it's a case of a parent just rocks up their family GP and says, "my child is transgender - give me pubety blockers!" and the doctor says, "absolutely!"

(And by correction, I mean actual imperical evidence that I can evaluate fo myself - not "I read it in a woman's magazine" unless you can show me where I can read it)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

... because of this is happening, then I agree - it needs to be stopped.

I just find it difficult to believe - and I'm totally open to correction on this - that it's a case of a parent just rocks up their family GP and says, "my child is transgender - give me pubety blockers!" and the doctor says, "absolutely!"

(And by correction, I mean actual imperical evidence that I can evaluate fo myself - not "I read it in a woman's magazine" unless you can show me where I can read it)

Doctors are easily coerced or something apparently. Who knew?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement