Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Gatling wrote: »
    Thank you Jaxxx

That's one of the best posts we've had on the subject on here

Gave me a laugh alright (all the 'jokes' I mean).

Why feel the need to go on the attack though? It just lessens your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

km991148 wrote: »
    Gave me a laugh alright (all the 'jokes' I mean).

Why feel the need to go on the attack though? It just lessens your point?

Attack? Who was attacked? Where were they attacked? I sure as hell don't see anyone being attacked.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Attack? Who was attacked? Where were they attacked? I sure as hell don't see anyone being attacked.

Your constant reference to left wing liberal snowflakes etc.. just sounds like you are angry (I'm sure it's not)?

I'm saying it reads better without it (don't take this the wrong way like).

km991148 wrote: »
    Your constant reference to left wing liberal snowflakes etc.. just sounds like you are angry (I'm sure it's not)?

I'm saying it reads better without it (don't take this the wrong way like).

Because that's exactly what they are. There's this strange denomination of people who take offense because they can, not that there's actually any offense intended or even any offense taken. It's chaos for the sake of chaos. There's no logic behind it, there's no reason behind it. They have no plan, no goal. At the heart of humanity there's this idea that just because we can do something means that we must do it. They don't stop for even a second to think that maybe they shouldn't do it. And yes that is derived from Goldblum's infamous Jurassic Park quote. These people just take that concept of 'can do it, must do it' to the absolute extreme. Pretty sure I only said it twice, so hardly constant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Thank you Jaxxx

That's one of the best posts we've had on the subject on here

Other than the blatant gingerphobia ah here now!!!

KIDDING!!!

Seconded !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Because that's exactly what they are. There's this strange denomination of people who take offense because they can, not that there's actually any offense intended or even any offense taken. It's chaos for the sake of chaos. There's no logic behind it, there's no reason behind it. They have no plan, no goal. At the heart of humanity there's this idea that just because we can do something means that we must do it. They don't stop for even a second to think that maybe they shouldn't do it. And yes that is derived from Goldblum's infamous Jurassic Park quote. These people just take that concept of 'can do it, must do it' to the absolute extreme. Pretty sure I only said it twice, so hardly constant.

While not disageeing with you, I see these guys as irelevant and off topic. They are neithe liberal nor transgender, so a different inteest group altogher and not really a fair reflection of the tasngender comminity.

You also get right wing "conservative" snowflakes getting pissed off over the subject on pretty much the same scale.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You also get right wing "conservative" snowflakes getting pissed off over the subject on pretty much the same scale.

Too groups of extremist ideologicals ,

But let's not forget about the ordinary people who see it for what it is ,and they are lot allowed to speak due to being attacked for not agreeing with either ,

One group has had people sacked from their jobs because they don't agree with a flawed opinion ,
    And they call everyone else a bigot or nazi but who's doing the attacking and book burning and pushing this people cancel culture

While not disageeing with you, I see these guys as irelevant and off topic. They are neithe liberal nor transgender, so a different inteest group altogher and not really a fair reflection of the tasngender comminity.

My issue isn't with the transgender community, it's their so-called allies. These are the leftists I refer to, perhaps I should have worded that more precisely. People who, as Gatling above said very well, attack those who dare not obey or follow their doctrine, blasting them as bigots and transphobes where they're truly not. They are basically fascists, although from the left-wing. Yes indeed I agree, right wing are as likely to be snowflakes. I carry equal disdain for anyone who is right or left wing, because the only rational stance to take is to be firmly in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Gender identity is the single most ridiculous concept humanity has ever conceived. Gender is not something you identify as, it's something you are. Do you identify as a human? No, you ARE a human. It is what you are. Man/woman are just words, words used to denote a male human/female human respectively. The same as bull and cow is used to describe the male and female counterparts of many species like elephants, whales, etc. At the end of the day, there is male and female. This is the biological standard of almost all animal life. The same as how heterosexuality is the biological standard of animal life; because that is how life continues. If most animals were homosexual, then their species would eventually go extinct! This isn't homophobic, this is just a simple fact. I'll defend homosexuality to the death, and I'm still shocked how gay people worldwide are still discriminated against as well as attacked. It is part and parcel of nature. Of course then you've bisexual people, who are just plain greedy cos they have the best of both worlds really don't they!

[Do I actually need to say that that last bit was a joke.. .. ..? I really shouldn't but seeing as how we're living in an age of such delicate little left winged snowflakes that get offended by the slightest thing these days.. .. ..]

The reason I use the term "biological standard" is because all standards have deviations. I don't like the word normal, because normal is black and white; i.e. if you're not normal you're abnormal. That's terribly naive, ignorant and insulting. Normal vs Standard: they're not one in the same thing. Whereas normal is black and white, standard is different shades of grey. Male and female is a biological standard. But 1 in every 100,000 births I think it is, there is a deviation from that standard, which is of course those born intersex. This is where the shades of grey comes in, because there are various different ways that intersex people can be. For example, some may go their whole lives without knowing they're intersex because they have all the physical traits of either male/female. It's just part of life, part of nature. People are so wrapped up in their own comfortable lives that they're under this illusion that life is free, easy and so on. It's not. Life is about struggle. Life is hard. That's just the way that life as we know it is, the way it's meant to be.

I will defend Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals and Intersex people to the death: LGBI. But the alphabet stops there.

Gender is NOT a social construct. I am sick and tired of one thing in the world: and that is the steadfast god complex that so much of humanity has. And the funny thing is, most people don't even recognise it as such. We treat every single natural resource on this planet as some object that is ours to possess, to play with and manipulate to our will. Look at how we treat the rest of the animal kingdom for example. We are animals the same as any other mammal, any fish, insect, etc. They're just objects to us. We're destroying their habitats at an alarming rate, with no signs of it slowing down. But I'm digressing slightly, that's another issue.

My point is, we are not gods. The book on how animal life works on our planet was written hundreds of millions of years ago; whether there was an author behind it is irrelevant, and quite frankly something I couldn't care less about. If you are born a biologically standard male or female, then you die a biologically standard male or female. Your gender is determined by your body, by your DNA. The very moment of conception when that one sperm out of millions fertilised the egg, that is what defined what you are. I don't believe in fate, but everything about what you are was sealed at that very moment. There are animals that actually can change gender given certain conditions; the majority of which are fish, amphibians and reptiles. Probably the most well known of these is the clownfish. There are some species of bird that can too. But there are no known mammals that can. And that includes us.

Who you are however is something that is not sealed, that is never sealed until you die. Who you are is vastly more important than what you are. You a man or woman? You white or black? You ginger or blonde? Okay forget that last one cos if you're ginger, then you don't have a soul so.. .. ..

[That was a joke/reference.. calm your tits.. .. .. (cos both males and females have tits, obviously, unless you've had a mastectomy to remove your breast tissue, in which case I sympathise entirely]

Speaking of sympathising with people, I sympathise with those who genuinely have gender dysphoria. Truly, I do. And believe it or not, and before you left winged wackos start tooting the usual fanfare, I'm not transphobic. I have no ill will towards transgender people, none at all. Neither does JK Rowling for that matter despite what many of you think. Yes she's said a few whacky things in recent years, but "only a woman can menstruate". This "people who menstruate" malarkey is a crock of old crap. But I recognise gender dysphoria for what it is, and that is a mental disorder. I'm sorry, but it's a fact. I'm fully aware that the World Health Organisation no longer recognises it as a mental disorder, which to me is absolutely shocking. It's a disorder the same as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Depression, etc; the only difference being that some are more severe than others.

Even in today's world, the words "mental disorder" still is taboo. Why? We all have mental health issues at some stage in our lives. Some of us just have it more severe that we actually develop these disorders. Our brains are immensely powerful things. And believe me, I understand more than most how easily they can twist your mind. It's like there's someone else inside you, someone else in charge of the remote, pressing buttons that try and skew reality, making you absolutely helpless as reality and illusion start to become intertwined. And that's exactly what this whole trangender idea is. That is the true reality of it all, because as I said earlier, gender is something that you physically are. How we feel, what emotions we have, regardless of how strong they are; cannot overrule basic logic and reason. And yet the world is actively accepting this as gospel because people are scared of being labelled as a bigot or transphobic, which is absolutely incorrect. Feelings and emotions cannot be used to make important decisions, because they're malleable. They can be twisted, coerced, manipulated. You cannot build something on a soft foundation, it needs to be solid and absolute.

Femininity and masculinity: there are masculine females just as there are feminine men. Okay, fine. Who cares? Really, who actually cares? How is that anyway important? That doesn't make the woman any less female, or the man any less male. A lot of people seem to be stuck on this ancient draconian idea that a man has to be masculine and a woman has to be feminine.. .. .. absolute horse poop. We're not living in the dark ages anymore, though unfortunately there are some parts of the world that may as well be for how homosexuality is an offense and how woman are still objectified, not even seen as a second class citizens. And if we're honest, you don't even have to travel too far to experience that either. In fact, you probably don't need to leave your own home town.

For most of human history, only until very recently in fact; men saw themselves as superior to women. And that still hasn't died out, not completely. And in some parts of the world, it's still as rampant as it ever was. The reality is, there's no difference between men and women in who we are. The only difference is in our biology.

One thing I find morally and ethically reprehensible is puberty/hormone blocking in children. Blocking the child's natural growth because of how they feel when they're a kid? That is absolutely insane. They're kids, they don't know what they want! Did you when you were a kid?? I sure as hell didn't! Their feelings change all the time. They're as dynamic as dynamic can be. Let kids be kids! Jesus christ.

Another thing that irks me, though not as much as the above, is this non-binary and cisgender rubbish. Am I cisgender? No I'm not cisgender, cos I don't identify as a man, I AM a man. Or maybe I'm one of those 1 in 100,000 that are born intersex, simply having male genitalia. The fact is, I have the body of a male human being. I have a penis, a fairly prominent Adam's apple, a male face, etc etc etc. It's what I am, not something I "identify" as. It's what I am, what I physically am. Yes men and women tend to have certain ways of thinking, mannerisms, likes, hobbies, etc that are usually associated with men and women respectively, but these are not exclusive to men and women. Let's throw out some old stereotypes here. Women like shopping, fashion, SHOES! Men like sex, sports, beer. I don't like sport. I don't drink beer. My favourite colour is magenta. Does this make any difference? Of course it doesn't. I'm still male cos that's what I physically am. And this non-binary crowd can simply duck off and take a long jump off a short pier. Privilege in a nutshell if ever I saw it. You're either male, female, or intersex.

Should transwomen be allowed to compete in women's sports? Absolutely not, because of their biology. Look at other animals in the world. In a lot of cases though not all a species' male is larger than the female. That's not sexist, that's a fact, a fact going back millions and millions of years. That's just the way life is. For much of human prehistory, it was mostly if not only the males that went out and hunted for food. That's the way it was, that's the way we evolved. Other species' groups might hunt together as wolves do, or maybe only the females do like in a pride of lions. All species are different. And the fact is that a biological male is mostly, though not always, stronger than a biological female. Why is it you only see transwomen competing in women's sports? I've never seen nor heard of transmen competing in men's sports. I wonder why.. .. ..

If someone wants to undergo surgery to have their body look like a typical male/female body, including undergoing hormone replacement treatment, go ahead. I couldn't care less. It's your life, do with it as you want. But I am not going to recognise a biological man/transgender woman or a biological woman/transgender man as a woman/female or man/male, because that is not what they are. This treatment, this surgery is entirely cosmetic. If it makes you feel better about yourself, fire away. But no amount of surgery or hormone replacement will ever change what you were born as. We do not have the natural ability to change genders. And I will not use female pronouns for a male human being, nor male pronouns for a female human being simply because of someone's feelings. I will use gender neutral language alright, which is something I don't have much issue with.

Yes that sounds harsh, but the truth is most often harsh. It has to be. I'm not being transphobic, I just have a basic respect for the natural world and its works.

Gender is not a social construct; Gender is not about feelings or emotions; Gender is exclusively about biology.

Humans are not gods. It's about damn time we stopped thinking that we are.

Now get out your pitch forks and "transphobic" slurs, because how dare I use logic and reasonable arguments.

You've put solid effort into outlining and reasoning out your position in detail here, fair play. Just to be perfectly clear as you've stated that you expect a backlash - I'm not calling you a bigot of any sort. I just want to engage with some of your points respectfully and would appreciate if you granted me the same courtesy in return. :)

The main crux of what you've written here, as far as I interpret it, is that gender and sex are the same thing. How does one prove such a thing? Afaik that claim runs counter to the current scientific understanding of the human mind. Fair point about the biological standard of the animal kingdom but would you agree the psychology of the human mind is more complex than that of an animals? You make it clear that you empathise with those suffering from gender dysphoria, which you regard as a mental disorder. So you obviously acknowledge that gender dysphoria exists. If that's the case - how do you square that off with believing gender identity is the stupidest concept to ever exist? How can gender dysphoria - the disconnect between one's physical sex and psychological idea of one's gender (aka gender identity) - even exist if that's the case?

And hey, for what its worth, cheers for pledging to always defend me. While I can't speak for all the other bi people, I most certainly am greedy and do get the best of both worlds :D
    Yes indeed I agree, right wing are as likely to be snowflakes. I carry equal disdain for anyone who is right or left wing, because the only rational stance to take is to be firmly in the middle.

As an aside - you're entitled to your opinion, but you shouldn't really. Rational means in accordance with reason and logic. If someone has reasoned out their views with consistent logic then they have a rational stance. Whether or not they've reached the correct conclusion in your opinion is no reflection of the reasoning and logic used to reach said conclusion. Logical/rational doesn't mean "Correct". It's completely possible for two people who completely disagree to both hold a rational or logical perspective.

Too groups of extremist ideologicals ,

Yep. But again - this thread is about gender identity in modern Ireland, not extemist groups opposing someone's ight to free speech.

One group has had people sacked from their jobs because they don't agree with a flawed opinion ,
    And they call everyone else a bigot or nazi but who's doing the attacking and book burning and pushing this people cancel culture

Yep - but again - this thead isn't about extemist groups trampling over someone else's identiy to free speech.
    My issue isn't with the transgender community, it's their so-called allies. These are the leftists I refer to, perhaps I should have worded that more precisely. People who, as Gatling above said very well, attack those who dare not obey or follow their doctrine, blasting them as bigots and transphobes where they're truly not. They are basically fascists, although from the left-wing. Yes indeed I agree, right wing are as likely to be snowflakes. I carry equal disdain for anyone who is right or left wing, because the only rational stance to take is to be firmly in the middle.

Ditto.

• Advertisement

Yep - but again - this thead isn't about extemist groups trampling over someone else's identiy to free speech

I have to disagree ,

One side you have people being called transpobic, homophobic ,bigot ,terfs
    And you have rest being respectful and not attacking anyone .
    And they almost comical part is the posters attacking anyone who don't agree with their opinions aren't even trans

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭ingalway

Why are you trying to pretend trans children dont exist?Trans children dont have surgery. There seems to be also this false idea that medical treatment is just thrown at children who identify as trans nonchalantly. This isnt true. Any medical treatments for children who identify as trans would be after extensive discussion with a range of medical professionals such as counsellors, psychologists, psychotherapists, family therapists, socisl workers. Any medical treatments would have strict criteria before it is given.
    I don't need to 'pretend' anything. Children are physically and emotionally growing. The rational part of a teen's brain isn't fully developed and won't be until age 25 or so. Stating that extensive discussions must take place before any medical treatment takes places has been disproven many times with testimonials by young people who are now in the process of detransistion - a really difficult experience.

Even if they have only had puberty blockers and hormone therapy they have a terrible time dealing with bodies that are out of synch with their biological age, voice changes which are often irreversible, excess hair growth, muscle growth issues etc that's before we even mention a double mastectomy for young women.

There may be certain criteria to be met but we are talking about children, not adults. I'm not sure there can ever be enough criteria for children to start on a road of gender transition. Developing bodies and brains should not be transitioning to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I have to disagree ,

And they almost comical part is the posters attacking anyone who don't agree with their opinions aren't even trans

If you think the "Gender Critical" side of this argument has been nothing but polite throughout the course of this thread and it's predecessor about JK Rowling then you haven't been paying enough attention. Myriad insulting remarks. Do a keyword search on the word "idiot"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I have to disagree ,

Mod:

I have snipped your discussion of mod actions. This is your final warning, discuss this again and your posting access will be removed

RWCNT wrote: »

The main crux of what you've written here, as far as I interpret it, is that gender and sex are the same thing. How does one prove such a thing? Afaik that claim runs counter to the current scientific understanding of the human mind.

Gender isn't a scientific concept, more of a sociological one. For instance the WHO says

"The World Health Organisation regional office for Europe describes sex as characteristics that are biologically defined, whereas gender is based on socially constructed features."

For instance a biological female ( ignoring some intersex) is born with a uterus and a vagina, a gendered female has historically been the property of her husband. Gender is really a role. Sex is biology. The distinction between gender and biology is fine as far as I am concerned. However what gender isn't is a "mind" separate from a biological fact, or brain.
    How can gender dysphoria - the disconnect between one's physical sex and psychological idea of one's gender (aka gender identity) - even exist if that's the case?

It can exist because people can believe anything they want about themselves, but that doesn't make that belief real.

I should add here that in a discussion of the existing laws in Ireland, and the laws that the more radical trans activists are demanding -- that is self ID everywhere - the debate about dysphoria isnt that useful. Doctor's don't have to sign off on the transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

RWCNT wrote: »
    If you think the "Gender Critical" side of this argument has been nothing but polite throughout the course of this thread and it's predecessor about JK Rowling then you haven't been paying enough attention. Myriad insulting remarks. Do a keyword search on the word "idiot"

And the rest: Nutjob, ashamed, mutilation, groomer, deviants etc etc. Its just completely untrue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

And the rest: Nutjob, ashamed, mutilation, groomer, deviants etc etc. Its just completely untrue.

You are once again misrepresenting my comments and I’m really tired of it.

Gervais08 wrote: »

It won't be the first or last time false claims have been to what's been said in these threads

The conversation hasnt been respectful from the gender critical side. Its completely and utterly false to say it has. There are continuous attempts to pretend this.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

The conversation hasnt been respectful from the gender critical side. Its completely and utterly false to say it has. There are continuous attempts to pretend this.

I have not said anything to that effect.

You however have misrepresented my comments, at least twice. It’s with the mods now so I shan’t be engaging with you further.

I have not said anything to that effect.

You havent no. Others have tried to falsely claim there has been nothing but respect for trans people and their allies in here. Thats untrue.

Terry Pratchet

You havent no. Others have tried to falsely claim there has been nothing but respect for trans people

Have trans people being called names - No

Have trans people being threatened- No

Have trans people being abused -No

Have the majority of posters being respectful - yes

Have a few not been respectful - yes

Have a few called names - yes

Have a few made claims that were not true - yes

Have a few called others bigots - yes

Now where were we

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

These threads are always dragged away from the point by ppl who take offence on other ppl's behalf. No accident.

Which reminds me, are there any non-binary or gender-fluid identifying posters on this thread or is it the case that all the poster here defending these phenomena are neither of those things?

AllForIt wrote: »
    These threads are always dragged away from the point by ppl who take offence on other ppl's behalf. No accident.

Which reminds me, are there any non-binary or gender-fluid identifying posters on this thread or is it the case that all the poster here defending these phenomena are neither of those things?

No, but I have a few friends who have transitioned, so some relevant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

wait what?
    born a male you are a male. I respect you not feeling like a male and more a female but you are biologically a male. science is fact.
    but if you feel more a woman than a man I wont disagree but biologically you are what you were born with.
    not a transphobe or anything. but facts don't care about feelings. no disrespect.

wait what?
    born a male you are a male. I respect you not feeling like a male and more a female but you are biologically a male. science is fact.
    but if you feel more a woman than a man I wont disagree but biologically you are what you were born with.
    not a transphobe or anything. but facts don't care about feelings. no disrespect.

“Feeling like a man or a woman” - it’s just perpetuating ridiculously old fashioned stereotypes tho.

Just be yourself, if you like “feminine” things and you’re a man? Who cares? Just live your life and be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

“Feeling like a man or a woman” - it’s just perpetuating ridiculously old fashioned stereotypes tho.

Just be yourself, if you like “feminine” things and you’re a man? Who cares? Just live your life and be happy.

I don't care who you are or what you identify as but don't hat on those old fashioned and set in their ways for not agreeing with it,
    I don't judge anyone. live your life. be happy in your way and don't hate someone for not agreeing with it. then you end up being worse.
    let me live my life and don't judge me on how I put food on my table for my kids is all I ask.

I think this very post could also be seen as being guilty of being dragged away from the point.. (whatever the point may be.. the thread is all over the place..).

Regarding your second paragraph, you have no idea peoples personal situation, and you could probably understand why 'these phenomena' might not want to come out and discuss openly.

As was pointed out earlier- do you need experience to discuss a topic on a public forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I don't really post here, but I do read all the posts, and I am trans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement