Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I think we have a right to expect that people make some effort to follow the thread, especially here given there are only a handful of posts to consider.

You should have seen that the person I was responding to was making reference to your post, for who else could 'LL' be a reference to here ? -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115431090&postcount=1463

This was careless
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115430554&postcount=1458

This was moving the goalposts
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115430918&postcount=1461

This was evasive
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115432781&postcount=1471

And you just won't admit seeing the double standard in a thousand years anyway, no matter what anyone says.

I truly have no patience for people who can't/won't perform the basic courtesy of reading though a thread.

Likewise, patent obfuscation.

It's just bad manners, so I'll leave it there.

I agree with you that LL is stretching saying "many" women who might look masculine enough to be mistaken for a trans person will start being accosted in toilets, and that it's "the TERF approach" - I see how this statement has problems, particularly when people feel the bar for what constitutes a TERF is set incredibly low.

At the same time, can't really see the double standard or inconsistency you're referring to. Lux said she's not bothered with sharing spaces with trans women and that she probably doesn't notice half of the time.Lux then said she saw a masculine looking woman being teased. LL says they think this will become a big problem going forward for any woman that looks manly. Overstatement/bad argument? Sure. Evasive/obfuscation/double standard? I didn't see any of that in the replies.

I've seen more accusations of bad faith argument in the threads on this subject than any other topic. I've accused people of it myself, and I've decided I'm not gonna do it anymore. If we're gonna talk about it I think we should trust eachother a bit more and try to be more calm with it. Afaik that's why we were given another thread.

I think this topic is getting way too heated and people are forming "tribes", even with people they don't necessarily agree on a lot with. A while ago on twitter I saw a top trending hashtag for #IStandWithSashaWhite - I checked it out and saw "Woman fired for saying biological sex is real" type posts. I thought "****, awful for her, and certainly doesn't help the trans community either".Well, I had a look into it and....

EgWUhcrWAAAokN8.jpg

Yeah. A transwoman getting physically assaulted in a toilet - and this woman "feels a bit bad" but is "glad that there are women who will stand their ground". Condoning a violent hate-crime. And people were "standing" with her? From your reply to me I know you don't condone that and I think the vast majority on this thread would agree that's ****ed up. But I think we should all chill out with the bad faith accusations and angry-posting. It doesn't lead anywhere good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Roisin Ingle of the Irish Times shared the Suzanne Moore Unherd piece and she is getting a skelping from the good guys. I don't really know Roisin's work as I haven't bought a paper in years but way back when she used to write daily lifestyle type pieces. She is fairly well known I gather, and the whole accummulation of recent events including Barbie Kardashian, Amnesty Ireland and the Womens Council's endorsement of a facist diatribe gives lie to the facetious and condescending claim that 12 twitter accounts are all this discussion circles around.
    Roisin says she agrees with some of what Suzanne says. It was courageous of her - hope she does not start getting the large amount of ultra violent and graphic rape and death threats that this kind of move seems to attract from the people on the right side of history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Roisin Ingle of the Irish Times shared the Suzanne Moore Unherd piece and she is getting a skelping from the good guys. I don't really know Roisin's work as I haven't bought a paper in years but way back when she used to write daily lifestyle type pieces. She is fairly well known I gather, and the whole accummulation of recent events including Barbie Kardashian, Amnesty Ireland and the Womens Council's endorsement of a facist diatribe gives lie to the facetious and condescending claim that 12 twitter accounts are all this discussion circles around.
    Roisin says she agrees with some of what Suzanne says. It was courageous of her - hope she does not start getting the large amount of ultra violent and graphic rape and death threats that this kind of move seems to attract from the people on the right side of history.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if she did receive those typical type of responses that women receive. This is coming into the open now and Roisin is the first, dipping her toe in the water. Others are watching. Truth and reality are at stake here and more people are starting to realise it.

Dante7 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if she did receive those typical type of responses that women receive. This is coming into the open now and Roisin is the first, dipping her toe in the water. Others are watching. Truth and reality are at stake here and more people are starting to realise it.

I don't know. It would make her back off and go silent I think, or even apologise. After all in the Suzanne Moore piece the writer referenced how people threatened to do terrible things to her children and some said that they had her address. In a country the size of ours it is not hard to know people's address. What mother is going to be able to tolerate that kind of worry?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I've no time for Roisin Ingle, but fair play for sticking her head above the parapet.

Then again, she might have no idea just how bad it is when TRAs come for you, and might not have been expecting the reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's gas to see feminist grifters realise that making gender a personal choice means their protected status gig is now open to anyone and they've only themselve to blame for it

It's like Stilton cheese makers realising that anyone will be able to call their cheese Stilton once the UK leaves the EU.

Oops:D

Bambi wrote: »
    It's gas to see feminist grifters realise that making gender a personal choice means their protected status gig is now open to anyone and they've only themselve to blame for it

It's like Stilton cheese makers realising that anyone will be able to call their cheese Stilton once the UK leaves the EU.

This is very harsh. And veering towards schadenfreude. It is important to understand how strongly ideology has been shoved down all of our throats and most people go along with stuff without thinking very much about it until something hurts them. We are all helplessly conditioned by our experiences and influences.
    I have said before that I am not a modern feminist and for very personal reasons based in my life experience - having said that I am a lifelong fighter on behalf of women everywhere, as boy can it be a tough call to be embodied as a female on this planet.
    And also I previously noted that gender as a social construct and this whole gender theory malarkey originated in deconstructionist postmodern theory, which was warmly embraced by third wave feminism. But really postmodern critical theory has been making absolute tits of us all - men and women - for a few decades. All this cultural and moral relativism was borne of it, this sitting on the fence, This ''no truth exists'' bullshyte, this emotionalism devoid of logic, these neo-racist victim ideologies, etc etc.

I would not agree with Roisin on probably a lot of things - my life has been very different from hers, and I am a contrarian. For example I see her Twitter page leads very proudly with abortion - following in her brave example of admitting how one thinks I admit to believing abortion should be limited by statute to certain serious cases such as rape, threat to life, childhood pregnancy etc, as for me personally it is a very sombre and grave act, and hopefully as a civilisation we will grow past it as a commonplace activity. This would put me on the opposite side of the fence to many women - but I have never felt one bit less love for a friend or family member who has made their choice or held an opinion different to mine. My opinion is just for me personally, and a matter of instinct and conscience.
    I do not have to agree with people on everything to agree with them on some things. What she has done in this instance is very brave - I would 100% not be able to do it, because of being too afraid, she is very courageous - and to say, well she was a wagon before about x y or z, so fcuk her, or women asked for this by being feminist bitches, is really uninterrogated misogyny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

This is very harsh. And veering towards schadenfreude. It is important to understand how strongly ideology has been shoved down all of our throats and most people go along with stuff without thinking very much about it until something hurts them. We are all helplessly conditioned by our experiences and influences.
    I have said before that I am not a modern feminist and for very personal reasons based in my life experience - having said that I am a lifelong fighter on behalf of women everywhere, as boy can it be a tough call to be embodied as a female on this planet.
    And also I previously noted that gender as a social construct and this whole gender theory malarkey originated in deconstructionist postmodern theory, which was warmly embraced by third wave feminism. But really postmodern critical theory has been making absolute tits of us all - men and women - for a few decades. All this cultural and moral relativism was borne of it, this sitting on the fence, This ''no truth exists'' bullshyte, this emotionalism devoid of logic, these neo-racist victim ideologies, etc etc.

I would not agree with Roisin on probably a lot of things - my life has been very different from hers, and I am a contrarian. For example I see her Twitter page leads very proudly with abortion - following in her brave example of admitting how one thinks I admit to believing abortion should be limited by statute to certain serious cases such as rape, threat to life, childhood pregnancy etc, as for me personally it is a very sombre and grave act, and hopefully as a civilisation we will grow past it as a commonplace activity. This would put me on the opposite side of the fence to many women - but I have never felt one bit less love for a friend or family member who has made their choice or held an opinion different to mine. My opinion is just for me personally, and a matter of instinct and conscience.
    I do not have to agree with people on everything to agree with them on some things. What she has done in this instance is very brave - I would 100% not be able to do it, because of being too afraid, she is very courageous - and to say, well she was a wagon before about x y or z, so fcuk her, or women asked for this by being feminist bitches, is really uninterrogated misogyny.

Brave? I did a deep search on Twitter and am struggling to find any reaction to her, let alone anything bad.

It really doesn't fit the victim narrative TERFs try to create.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Brave? I did a deep search on Twitter and am struggling to find any reaction to her, let alone anything bad.

It really doesn't fit the victim narrative TERFs try to create.

So far it is more like how a nun might say ''Gruffalux, I am terribly disappointed with you, you have a chance now to repent or I will be cross..'' :pac: People are berating her more in sorrow than in anger... :rolleyes: And lots of them use your favourite acronym.

https://twitter.com/CuteCatriona/status/1331943779042013187?s=20

https://twitter.com/3gingertea/status/1331952555279212544?s=20

https://twitter.com/AilbheBosca1/status/1332002264442171400?s=20

https://twitter.com/pauladennan/status/1331963927467597826?s=20

https://twitter.com/twoandahalfribs/status/1331978700577931264?s=20

https://twitter.com/cmatbaby/status/1331569666347708419?s=20

Etc etc blah blah blah, waggy waggy fingers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Which is a position of a narcissist. They didn't care when it affected others, they now care when it affects them. Feminists have spent years attacking men for everything under the sun, now they're getting attacked similarly from the trans lobby and they hate it. I don't included you in this by the way, but it's applicable to many feminists who are now speaking out.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Fair play to her. Hopefully some people might read the article instead of just shouting transphobe, terf, oh this is so scary.

So far it is more like how a nun might say ''Gruffalux, I am terribly disappointed with you, you have a chance now to repent or I will be cross..'' :pac: People are berating her more in sorrow than in anger... :rolleyes: And lots of them use your favourite acronym.

https://twitter.com/CuteCatriona/status/1331943779042013187?s=20

https://twitter.com/3gingertea/status/1331952555279212544?s=20

https://twitter.com/AilbheBosca1/status/1332002264442171400?s=20

https://twitter.com/pauladennan/status/1331963927467597826?s=20

https://twitter.com/twoandahalfribs/status/1331978700577931264?s=20

https://twitter.com/cmatbaby/status/1331569666347708419?s=20

Etc etc blah blah blah, waggy waggy fingers...

Ooooo someone told her they liked her work but disagreed with her views???

Poor Roisin. She's been sooooo brave to put up with this vile abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This is very harsh. And veering towards schadenfreude.

Your damn right its schadenfreude, this chancers have being throwing anyone who questions their victim narrative under the bus for decades so its deeply satisfying to see the Frankensteins Monster they created give them a taste of their own medicine.

filleann an feall ar an bhfeallaire :D

Ooooo someone told her they liked her work but disagreed with her views???

Poor Roisin. She's been sooooo brave to put up with this vile abuse.

Yes. It's lucky that's all that ever happens and journalists aren't at risk of their jobs for their opninions.

Yes. It's lucky that's all that ever happens and journalists aren't at risk of their jobs for their opninions.

Was Suzanne Moore fired?

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Which is a position of a narcissist. They didn't care when it affected others, they now care when it affects them. Feminists have spent years attacking men for everything under the sun, now they're getting attacked similarly from the trans lobby and they hate it. I don't included you in this by the way, but it's applicable to many feminists who are now speaking out.

I honestly think most women, have not spent years attacking men for everything under the sun - as men are our lovers, sons, fathers, friends and brothers.
    I do think there has been a prominent platform given to loud and often bitter voices waging a stupid and incredibly boring battle of the sexes war which has been divisive. There have been terrible ideas and injustices promoted about men and maleness which is why is one reason I completely backed off - I actually don't know why this was allowed to grow so strong. And it has done damage, no doubt.
    But by far most women in general really love, respect and want to protect their men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I honestly think most women, have not spent years attacking men for everything under the sun - as men are our lovers, sons, fathers, friends and brothers.
    I do think there has been a prominent platform given to loud and often bitter voices waging a stupid and incredibly boring battle of the sexes war which has been divisive. There have been terrible ideas and injustices promoted about men and maleness which is why is one reason I completely backed off - I actually don't know why this was allowed to grow so strong. And it has done damage, no doubt.
    But by far most women in general really love, respect and want to protect their men.

The two people I love most in the entire world are men.....well one of them is a boy.
    I grew up in an abusive home. The perpetrator was my stepfather. I then ended up with a ex who actually despises women (has mommy issues). Never in my life have I judged men as a group based on those two individuals.
    When I see something about male violence towards women I know that is talking about a small percentage of men. Most reasonable people would be the same.
    In my youth and was out and drinking and all that goes with it. There were absolute creeps out there but there was also guys that would be willing to make sure you were okay and guys that would tell their friend to leave you alone and apologise for their behaviour.
    Is there women out there that hate men. I would say yes just like there are men who hate women. Both those groups are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

https://unherd.com/2020/11/why-i-had-to-leave-the-guardian/?=frlh

Suzanne Moore's article, worth reading.

She missed the point though. What is happening now is the logical conclusion of a materialist philosophy like hers that says that things like gender are socially constructed. The difference is though that people like Moore came from a "starting point" where this idea was repugnant to society and people didn't really believe it - but many advocates of materialist philosophy brought about good change, equality etc. In other words, these changes did not spring from materialist philosophy and were not based on it, they were just more "fair" but many cited this philosophy as a way to view the world. What people today are dong is pushing this philosophy to its logical conclusion as they come from a starting mind frame constructed by the likes of Moore. Moore however, considering that she still has the frame of reference from where things started, from can see its mad, but younger people just see it as taking what she advocates a logical step further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Was Suzanne Moore fired?

No. She resigned. But she believed she might be sacked or at least experience a hostile atmosphere at the Guardian.

https://unherd.com/2020/11/why-i-had-to-leave-the-guardian/?=frlh

Suzanne Moore's article, worth reading.

She missed the point though. What is happening now is the logical conclusion of a materialist philosophy like hers that says that things like gender are socially constructed. The difference is though that people like Moore came from a "starting point" where this idea was repugnant to society and people didn't really believe it - but many advocates of materialist philosophy brought about good change, equality etc. In other words, these changes did not spring from materialist philosophy and were not based on it, they were just more "fair" but many cited this philosophy as a way to view the world. What people today are dong is pushing this philosophy to its logical conclusion as they come from a starting mind frame constructed by the likes of Moore. Moore however, considering that she still has the frame of reference from where things started, from can see its mad, but younger people just see it as taking what she advocates a logical step further.

That is why we all must be wary in advance of the incoherencies that may emerge when one extrapolates any ideology to it's logical conclusion. By reacting against ideas like, for example, that gender self identification actually changes the sex of an individual in reality, or that affirmation is the compassionate treatment for childhood gender incongruence even though it will cause terrible and life-long bodily suffering, it is not so much that one desires to beat up on some unfortunate person with gender dysphoria - no! - but that ultimately one knows that accepting incoherencies will ultimately give rise to, well frankly, madness and brutality. It is not polite or nice to encourage this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Any opinions on this notice that Úna Davey has tweeted?

https://twitter.com/UnaDavey11/status/1332260786048282624

Fairly disgusting. Oh everyone who disagrees with me is a pedo.

The motivation is likely to be that they don't want others to suffer discrimination not get to kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

My opinion is that in life there are often bad actors jumping onto things they believe will further their own agenda. However, I think most TRA’s come from the ‘be kind’ mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Fairly disgusting. Oh everyone who disagrees with me is a pedo.

The motivation is likely to be that they don't want others to suffer discrimination not get to kids.
    I agree with your first sentence. It's needlessly and disingenuously attempting to tar everyone on 'one side' with the crimes of a few

At home most recently, I've seen this type of thing employed by 'journalists' re-Carlow Presentation School - false reporting based on a rumour, 'reported' on by the IMRO Journalist of the Year no less (now her scoop is deleted) and retweeted and snide asides about the male teachers made by at least one celebrity (and schools) psychotherapist and another 'journalist' in charge of thejournal.ie oh and, King Virtue Aodhan O Riordain TD
    Real life consequences just to appear virtuous - another irony.

The second sentence doesn't bear out really - these men were convicted and are/were TRA's in the UK, some in positions of some power, authority and influence. The whole Challenor story itself would make the most skeptical amongst us gag at the litany of coverups, defending the indefensible (from not one but two GB political parties, Greens and LibDems) and the continuation of fairly influential positions being bestowed on the infamous Aimee.
    [PS I might have picked you up wrong there, you would be talking about those who believe the TWAW/TMAM thing not the criminals in the meme - sorry if I did]

But no, I don't really like memes as a means of 'proving' an argument.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I agree with your first sentence. It's needlessly and disingenuously attempting to tar everyone on 'one side' with the crimes of a few

At home most recently, I've seen this type of thing employed by 'journalists' re-Carlow Presentation School - false reporting based on a rumour, 'reported' on by the IMRO Journalist of the Year no less (now her scoop is deleted) and retweeted and snide asides about the male teachers made by at least one celebrity (and schools) psychotherapist and another 'journalist' in charge of thejournal.ie oh and, King Virtue Aodhan O Riordain TD
    Real life consequences just to appear virtuous - another irony.

The second sentence doesn't bear out really - these men were convicted and are/were TRA's in the UK, some in positions of some power, authority and influence. The whole Challenor story itself would make the most skeptical amongst us gag at the litany of coverups, defending the indefensible (from not one but two GB political parties, Greens and LibDems) and the continuation of fairly influential positions being bestowed on the infamous Aimee.
    [PS I might have picked you up wrong there, you would be talking about those who believe the TWAW/TWAM thing not the criminals in the meme - sorry if I did]

But no, I don't really like memes as a means of 'proving' an argument.

Yeah, I didn't mean those particular weirdos, I mean that the motivation of people to allow transwomen to use women's toilets in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Bambi wrote: »

How so? To me, radical feminists are being entirely consistent. They fought for female spaces and are still doing so. There isn’t an inconsistency there. They made a distinction between sex and gender and still do. Fourth wave feminists are the ones being muddled and woolly in their thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

I was surprised and pleased to see Roisin Ingle sharing that Suzanne Moore. Surprised, because I have long thought that the Irish Times shuts out any alternative viewpoints, any nuance, and would be completely "That's TRANSPHOBIC" about anyone pointing out reality.

What really grates is that you are not even allowed to question the undeniable clash between some trans rights and some women's rights, eg trans women in female prisons, without being labelled a transphobic terf. It's ludicrous.

I, like the vast majority of people, want trans people to feel safe and welcomed. I have no issue with trans women using, say, the ladies' toilets in a nightclub. ("Oh that's good of you! Allowing trans women to have human rights!" I can already hear the TRAs scream) but this is all stuff that has only come into public consciousness in the last 5/10 years. People are naturally going to consider how they feel about it.

However, people have to be allowed to debate the issues of trans athletes, trans prisoners, women's refuges, etc. Shutting out women's voices (I refuse to use the ridiculous term of "cervix haver" or whatever) and making us feel like we're being bullying transphobes just seems like gaslighting to me. Much as that word is overused. I mean, how have we come to this?

A trans woman host of a podcast I listen to last week was talking about how JK Rowling's article made her fear for her life recently. I mean, give me a goddamn break. At least two women a week are murdered by a current or former partner in England and Wales alone, and while the data on trans murders is foggy at best, it seems to be significantly less than that (I found one article saying 28 trans people had been murdered in the whole of the US in the 8 months to August 2020).

Now, obviously all murders are horrific. I also recognise that I have no idea of how it feels to be a trans person. I want to listen. I want to learn. But TRAs must realise that it is their constant shouting down of any reasonable discussion that even causes me to consider these horrible murders in an "us and them" kind of way.

It's just taken as gospel now that JK Rowling, Suzanne Moore etc are bigoted transphobes. This rhetoric is a total insult to women everywhere, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Suzanne Moore, JK Rowling, etc can easily be summed up as -

FX0aKN.md.jpg

They were pushing what was then the “progressive” narrative, competing in the Oppression Olympics, etc, for their generation. They laid the foundations for the current generation of women whose views they don’t share. They campaigned for women to have a voice. Now they don’t like what women are saying and they are attempting to portray themselves as “victims”, “outcasts”, when confronted with the reality that they’re no longer “with it” or “brave” because their views are no longer considered progressive, but rather the opposite of everything they’ve spent their lives rallying against, and they’re having to look for support from the very people they once condemned as the gate-keepers and authoritarians of society.

It’s an embarrassing climbdown for them, nothing more. It’s pretty disingenuous to claim from their positions of enormous influence that they are somehow being “suppressed” or any of the rest of it. They’re clearly not, as evidenced by the fact that they still imagine they represent the views of the majority of women and their voices still appear in mainstream media. Their “plight” reminds me of this rather acute observation from a while back -

https://images.app.goo.gl/Laiu4SyFrQXecNVN6

It’s difficult to take their claims about wanting to protect women seriously when it’s painfully obvious from the way they talk about “protecting women”, what they mean is “protecting women like meeee”, and trying to disguise their efforts in “concern” for women they previously would never have given a second thought to, such as women in shelters, women in prisons, etc. The women who are represented by their caricatures aren’t there by chance, they are there because of the circumstances which led to their being housed in shelters and prisons. Their conditions were pretty shìt before they were being used in arguments against recognising that people who are transgender have equal rights as everyone else in society. Protection from discrimination on the grounds of sex is just ONE of the nine grounds of discrimination. Were it not for their being protected from discrimination it’s a certainty that women like Suzanne and JK wouldn’t have the platforms they do now to take a dump from a height on the people below them.

Suzanne Moore and JK Rowling assume these women would agree with them, but the reality is a far cry from their idealistic Ivory Tower perspective where Suzanne Moore and JK are quite literally sticking their heads above the parapet, and appealing to the peasants at the gates below to “be reasonable, let’s talk about this”.

People who are trying to make a thing out of pointing out the fact that there are circumstances where women’s rights are in conflict with the rights of people who are transgender appear to be of the belief that this is anything new. At the “women’s march” there were plenty of women who were excluded and condemned on the basis that they did not share the views of the prevailing majority present at the march.

The most memorable for all the wrong reasons moment though was when the President of Planned Parenthood (second largest provider in the US of hormone treatments for people who are transgender on an informed consent basis), urged an audience of predominantly white middle class women that they had to “do better”. It’s pretty shìt to be told you need to “do better” when you’re attending a rally which aims to highlight ways in which you perceive you are being oppressed. One of the ways in which one PP NY have chosen to “do better” I suppose, is to disavow acknowledgement of the founder of the organisation from their history (I guess she was on the right side of history, now she’s on the wrong side of history, but that position has always been dependent upon who’s driving the narrative). In any case it was a smart business decision for PP when they broadened the services they offer. It had nothing to do with the narrative of abortion being portrayed very differently among the black community and everything to do with the fact that if PP want to keep bringing in Government funding of over $500m ANNUALLY, they would have to diversify and appeal to a different market.

This is no different than any of the “journalists” or people who are claiming they “lost their jobs” or they were “fired”, or they were “cancelled”, for merely “expressing an opinion” or “standing up for women’s rights”, or “just thinking we should have a debate”. Because they always perceived themselves as “the oppressed”, they’re struggling to convince anyone they are still oppressed in a society where they are among it’s elites. They’re clutching at straws and invoking all sorts of stereotypes they clearly haven’t had to think about before, in order to claim that they still belong to the oppressed and underrepresented in society.

I’m not going to gloat about it as I would never take pleasure in someone else’s misfortune, but Bambi does have a point that the very people who set the rules of the game are now being beaten at their own game by the people they taught how to play their game of playing the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

People who are trying to make a thing out of pointing out the fact that there are circumstances where women’s rights are in conflict with the rights of people who are transgender

Well we have women's rights and mens rights , human rights.

Women's rights are just that women's rights not Men who self identify

Why the need for special trans rights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Gatling wrote: »
    Well we have women's rights and mens rights , human rights.

Women's rights are just that women's rights not Men who self identify

Why the need for special trans rights

It seems like such an obvious answer, but the need for trans rights exists for the same reason as the need for legal recognition applies to everyone in society on the grounds of any of the other eight protected characteristics, so that people are not discriminated against on the basis of their sex (or in equality legislation - gender).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement