Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well Ellen identifies as "Queer", which maybe means that whoever is with her is "Queer" be default?

If my partner decides tomorrow to come out as Jim instead of Janine, am I queer? I'm yet to hear of anyone on the trans ally side of things comment on this. For example, I'd like to hear from Joeytheparott, _godot_ or LLMMML on it. I honestly would.

Omackeral wrote: »
    If my partner decides tomorrow to come out as Jim instead of Janine, am I queer? I'm yet to hear of anyone on the trans ally side of things comment on this. For example, I'd like to hear from Joeytheparott, _godot_ or LLMMML on it. I honestly would.

It would make you homosexual (assuming you're currently in a heterosexual relationship).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

At least Ellen will get all the good hollywood roles now...as a straight white male and all the privilege that goes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Not a lot of male privilege given to men who are 5'1" though eh

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Yes and I've zero issue with Elliot, who knows their self as well as you might expect from someone in their 30's and not an impressionable teenager. My issue is usually never the trans people themselves, but their very vocal and cancel culture friendly twitter/reddit brigade. Who berate if you don't keep up to date with all their terms/vocab and label you a hatemonger you if you disagree with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I wouldn’t tell you what your sexuality is.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I wouldn’t tell you what your sexuality is.

Ok but I'm telling you I'm a straight male. In the scenario quoted. Does that now change? From your POV, you personally I'm asking your opinion.

It would make you homosexual (assuming you're currently in a heterosexual relationship).

Better tell my mammy she has two LGBT sons now so!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its upto you to define yourself. Nothing to do with me.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ok but I'm telling you I'm a straight male. In the scenario quoted. Does that now change? From your POV, you personally I'm asking your opinion.

If you’re telling me you’re a straight male then I believe you. You’re a straight Male.

• Advertisement

If you’re telling me you’re a straight male then I believe you. You’re a straight Male.

Does that align with having a transman as my partner? Forgive me but I can't really make sense of that.

Its upto you to define yourself. Nothing to do with me.

Asking a reasonable question here. You're obviously an individual with opinions and such, I'm asking for yours.

Does that align with having a transman as my partner? Forgive me but I can't really make sense of that.

Sure. Gay people have had opposite sex partners for a long time.

Asking a reasonable question here. You're obviously an individual with opinions and such, I'm asking for yours.

My opinion is how you define your own sexual orientation and your own gender identity is upto you. I am not going to define it for you or tell you how to define it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

My opinion is how you define your own sexual orientation and your own gender identity is upto you. I am not going to define it for you or tell you how to define it.

Do you think the government should tell you how to define it?

Do you think the government should tell you how to define it?

The government dont tell anyone how to define their sexual orientation or gender identity

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Its upto you to define yourself

How far does that logic extend? Is it confined to gender?

How far does that logic extend? Is it confined to gender?

Don’t you think the best person to know about an individuals sexuality is the individual themselves?

Don’t you think the best person to know about an individuals sexuality is the individual themselves?
    You answer my question first.

You answer my question first.

Give some examples as I have no idea what you mean what logic? What other areas are you thinking of when you ask if the supposed logic can be extended to other areas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

What if an enormous black guy with a giant willy says out of the blue he's a chick in the middle of a conversation and he wants to change inches from a 12 year old girl with his massive willy in her face?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Can you define your own racial or ethnic identity? Can I decide that I actually have a Slavic soul, and am therefore Russian, not Irish? Should I be treated as Russian by the rest of the world on that basis?

Give some examples as I have no idea what you mean what logic? What other areas are you thinking of when you ask if the supposed logic can be extended to other areas?

If someone is allowed to define whether they are a man or a woman by virtue of their own choice, regardless of their biology, would you support someone being able to define their race, their species, their age, their height, their eye colour, their weight etc etc.

Where is YOUR line where you don't believe the person just because they personally identify as something they are not?

If someone is allowed to define whether they are a man or a woman by virtue of their own choice, regardless of their biology, would you support someone being able to define their race, their species, their age, their height, their eye colour, their weight etc etc.

Where is YOUR line where you don't believe the person just because they personally identify as something they are not?

The only one of those that actually happens is race. The others are silly gotchas that don’t exist.

And people do define their race all the time. For example, children with white and black parents will often identify as one or the other. Not mixed race.

The only one of those that actually happens is race. The others are silly gotchas that don’t exist.

And people do define their race all the time. For example, children with white and black parents will often identify as one or the other. Not mixed race.

Yeah but that's more like an intersex person deciding they're one or other sex. To compare race to transgender, it would have to be a white person identifying as black or vice versa. Not an obviously mixed race person.

So would that be ok? Someone who's white, say Elizabeth Warren, deciding she 's really Native American?

nj27 wrote: »
    What if an enormous black guy with a giant willy says out of the blue he's a chick in the middle of a conversation and he wants to change inches from a 12 year old girl with his massive willy in her face?

Not sure what a story about some man sexually abusing a child has to do with anything in this thread.

Terry Pratchet

What other quantifiable characteristics of a human being can be defined by the individual? Height? Eye colour? Presumably not sexuality because people are born as their sexuality.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Can you define your own racial or ethnic identity? Can I decide that I actually have a Slavic soul, and am therefore Russian, not Irish? Should I be treated as Russian by the rest of the world on that basis?

I dont believe transracial is a real thing no. Just whataboutery.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I dont believe transracial is a real thing no. Just whataboutery.

Why not? Why wouldn't you take Rachel Dolezal at her word?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement