Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but you can't force new meaningless terms into a conversation and expect people to accept and use those terms.
    I'm a man, no way i'm going to identify myself as a cis man nor i'm gong to use the term cis when i refer to other men or women.

You dont have to. Noone is forcing you to. No big deal really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

No, but we people do want others to be forced to use certain pronouns, yet when people request to not be identified as 'cis' no such mutual respect is forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No, but we people do want others to be forced to use certain pronouns, yet when people request to not be identified as 'cis' no such mutual respect is forthcoming.

No. Noone is forcing anything.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Because linguists have a little more insight into language than the average person.

I don't expect people to be up to date on linguistic research. I just find it odd that people are so 100% confident in their opinions on linguistics and are actually completely wrong.

This doesn't take away from the fact that words have definitions and meanings. Trans-women aren't women because they are literally the exact opposite of what is the fundamental basis to be or to eventually be a women i.e. female. Trans-women are male.

No tables of exemplars, nonsense terms like 'trans-female', or attempts to brush off the circular logic of trans-woman are women so they are women will ever change this simple fact.

No. Noone is forcing anything.

Yes they are. On boards if I refer to trans-women as 'he' I will be banned of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The term CIS is very definitely being being introduced into mainstream language, which means that people will have to use it unless they refuse to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Their truly remarkable biological claim to fame, however, is that male seahorses and sea dragons get pregnant and bear young—a unique adaptation in the animal kingdom.

Indeed it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

unless they refuse to do so.

Which they are completely free to do.......

What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I don't see a difference between trans women and women because they are women. I do see a difference between trans women and cis women.

It is a fundamental misunderstanding of language to think that the meaning of words lies in definitions.

There are 2 genders involved, not three.
    Trans woman and woman.
    Woman = cis woman, by definition.

I note you ignored all the other questions I asked, could you reply to them to help me understand the logic behind your points?

If your argument is that when trans women use the word "woman" they mean a different definition of the word than everyone else means, I respectfully suggest they need to get themselves their own word.

good example, did we invent a new word to for real mice to distinguish from the computer mouse?
    My pet cis mouse ate my mouse the other day, it was very disruptive.

Sorry, clearly I forgot have added in way more (redundant) "cis"'s.

My cis pet cis mouse ate my trans mouse the other cis day.
    Whew, this is exhausting.

• Advertisement

I think I've just figured it all out.

All this time I've been using cis-logic when I should have been using trans-logic!
    I'm such a (cis) fool, though I cannot wait to play trans-scrabble and try out the trans-crossword in tomorrows paper. Who knows what any of the clues or answers actually mean?!

It's incredible that the approach has now moved from creating new words for trans people to just arbitrarily redefining existing ones to suit.

It just makes it easier to define exactly who you are talking about.

Any female who is not trans is cis, this the cis is redundant and not required.

There isn't some overarching category called woman that includes trans women and those you call cis women.

There is no intersection in that Venn diagram.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Any female who is not trans is cis, this the cis is redundant and not required.

Any female who is not trans is just a female, no need for additional terms to specify the obvious

Any female who is not trans is just a female, no need for additional terms to specify the obvious

That's literally what I posted and the point I was making...

GreeBo wrote: »
    That's literally what I posted and the point I was making...

I know, i just wanted to reiterate the message ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I know, i just wanted to reiterate the message ;)

Can I also add that for anyone who doesn’t believe that people have a gender identity then cis as a label just doesn’t make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I identify the verb "to be" as "to attack". That's my reality. Anyone who is argues against that reality additionally attacks anything. That's my reality. You can have your own, I'll have my mine,but while you ignore my reality I'll spend all day of MY NGO existence making sure your HR officer has to acknowledge my reality and my freedom to be /attack.

Yours /theirs

Seriously folks - take a break from this thread for a day or so - it's just the same thing again and again. Maybe then it'll die off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Would you lads have a problem with a Tranny teaching your kids?

I wouldn't use that word and it would completely depend on what they were teaching my child.

If it was educational and factual, I would have absolutely no issue with a transgender person teaching my daughter.

If they were espousing gender politics, I may have a problem, but apart from that, no. I would have no problem in any way. Would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I wouldn't call them a tranny first of all.

No i wouldn't have a problem. Why would I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think the process has kinda outpaced the reality. I could download a form and switch to being a woman but I don't think the reality on the ground is going to let me walk into a ladies changing room with a piece of paper saying I'm a woman. Most people won't know / accept the piece of paper. But does it open the door for vexatious people to do things like that? Sure.

Well actually, the thing is, nobody will able to demand that piece of paper from anyone. A male (urgh, hate having to phrase it that way) can say they have that piece of paper but that you have no right to demand to see it. In the moment, that couldn’t really be disproven. Self ID weakens women’s ability to question things.

Well actually, the thing is, nobody will able to demand that piece of paper from anyone. A male (urgh, hate having to phrase it that way) can say they have that piece of paper but that you have no right to demand to see it. In the moment, that couldn’t really be disproven. Self ID weakens women’s ability to question things.

Wow, my words. When I typed that I was thinking more of being stopped from entering a safe place by a male. And it was probably typed a few weeks ago before the thread disappeared up it's own ar*e. But I get your point. I can't find my old posts in this thread, but I'm in the "self-id is not great if not used in good faith" corner. If there is such a corner.

Anyway, I'm obeying my own words and taking a break - but I just wanted to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No it doesn’t? It doesn’t weaken anyone’s ability to question anyone they wish to about anything. The women involved in the Man Friday campaign demonstrate this rather bluntly with their publicity stunts at public swimming facilities -

Female activists took a group of male swimmers by surprise on Friday evening when they attended a men-only swim session wearing just trunks and pink swimming caps.

Feminists join men-only swim in protest of proposed law to enable people to self-identify as male or female

It’s literally the case that the idea they’re protesting against isn’t happening, but they’ll protest anyway under the pretence that it is. I don’t think they’re trying to engineer a situation where they can claim they were sexually assaulted by men, because that would be particularly vicious, but by their actions they are attention seekers trying to engineer circumstances where they want people to believe something is happening, when it isn’t. That’s basically and fundamentally trying to scaremonger people and perpetuate discrimination against men by women pretending to be victims, when they’re not! It does fcukall to protect women.

Can’t question women going topless in public swimming facilities in Barcelona though, where women there have fought against rules which prohibited them from doing so, claiming it was discrimination on the basis of gender -

Women now free to go topless in all of Barcelona’s municipal pools

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭volchitsa

No it doesn’t? It doesn’t weaken anyone’s ability to question anyone they wish to about anything. The women involved in the Man Friday campaign demonstrate this rather bluntly with their publicity stunts at public swimming facilities -

Female activists took a group of male swimmers by surprise on Friday evening when they attended a men-only swim session wearing just trunks and pink swimming caps.

Feminists join men-only swim in protest of proposed law to enable people to self-identify as male or female

It’s literally the case that the idea they’re protesting against isn’t happening, but they’ll protest anyway under the pretence that it is. I don’t think they’re trying to engineer a situation where they can claim they were sexually assaulted by men, because that would be particularly vicious, but by their actions they are attention seekers trying to engineer circumstances where they want people to believe something is happening, when it isn’t. That’s basically and fundamentally trying to scaremonger people and perpetuate discrimination against men by women pretending to be victims, when they’re not! It does fcukall to protect women.

Can’t question women going topless in public swimming facilities in Barcelona though, where women there have fought against rules which prohibited them from doing so, claiming it was discrimination on the basis of gender -

Women now free to go topless in all of Barcelona’s municipal pools

Your link is about London where they don’t yet have self ID,unlike Ireland.
    That’s their point - attempts are being made to bring in similar laws in the UK. They’re right not to wait until it’s already done.

No idea what you mean about Barcelona- don’t men go topless there often?

volchitsa wrote: »
    Your link is about London where they don’t yet have self ID,unlike Ireland.
    That’s their point - attempts are being made to bring in similar laws in the UK. They’re right not to wait until it’s already done.

No idea what you mean about Barcelona- don’t men go topless there often?

Is there a phenomenon in Ireland since the Gender Recognition Act was enacted in Irish law, of men pretending to be women, attacking women in single sex spaces, that I’m not aware of? I’m certain there isn’t, nor was there ever such a phenomenon even before the Gender Recognition Act was enacted in Irish law. In any case it would still have nothing to self-ID legislation, and everything to do with the individual in question who chooses to commit such an act.

With regards to the situation in Barcelona - I’m absolutely certain they do, something which women weren’t permitted to do before, and now they have the same freedom as men to do so if they wish. You’re after reminding me of something else though - when the local school of which I was a member of the Board of Management decided they weren’t able to afford to provide swimming as an activity (it’s mandated by the curriculum), the point was raised about boys not wishing to participate with the girls and wanting to wear tee shirts to cover themselves up, while with the girls there was the opposite issue - they wanted to participate with the boys and wear bikinis showing off as much skin as possible. It was something of a reversal of reality I couldn’t get my head around if I’m being honest, but I guess the situation in Barcelona is similar - women don’t want to be restricted in what they wear, they want the same freedom as they imagine men have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Show a little respect and don't use that word again when referring to transgender people. As long as they are competent as a teacher I would have no problem

Is there a phenomenon in Ireland since the Gender Recognition Act was enacted in Irish law, of men pretending to be women, attacking women in single sex spaces, that I’m not aware of? I’m certain there isn’t, nor was there ever such a phenomenon even before the Gender Recognition Act was enacted in Irish law. In any case it would still have nothing to self-ID legislation, and everything to do with the individual in question who chooses to commit such an act.

LOL, come back with those goalposts!

You said the situation they were protesting about didn't exist - you're wrong. It does exist in Ireland, and it was going to be brought in in the UK too, until people started protesting.

(No point in me answering your goalpost-moving question because you've already dismissed any possible evidence in advance anyway)
    With regards to the situation in Barcelona - I’m absolutely certain they do, something which women weren’t permitted to do before, and now they have the same freedom as men to do so if they wish. You’re after reminding me of something else though - when the local school of which I was a member of the Board of Management decided they weren’t able to afford to provide swimming as an activity (it’s mandated by the curriculum), the point was raised about boys not wishing to participate with the girls and wanting to wear tee shirts to cover themselves up, while with the girls there was the opposite issue - they wanted to participate with the boys and wear bikinis showing off as much skin as possible. It was something of a reversal of reality I couldn’t get my head around if I’m being honest, but I guess the situation in Barcelona is similar - women don’t want to be restricted in what they wear, they want the same freedom as they imagine men have already.
    More goalpost shifting here - clearly whatever point you were making was nonsense, so you're trying to shift to some other pointless comment.

LOL, come back with those goalposts!

You said the situation they were protesting about didn't exist - you're wrong. It does exist in Ireland, and it was going to be brought in in the UK too, until people started protesting.

How am I wrong? They’re claiming that with Self-ID men would be able to infiltrate women’s single-sex spaces. It hasn’t happened, it isn’t happening, and that’s notwithstanding the fact that already in the UK people who are transgender are able to use whichever facilities they feel are more appropriate without having to produce a certificate to identify themselves as their preferred gender already, same as here in Ireland, same as they always were and will continue to do. ODB was making the point that self-ID makes it more difficult for women to ask questions. My point is that it doesn’t - women who choose to, can still be as rude as they wish to anyone else, and there are and always were consequences for that kind of behaviour. Women have never had a free pass to be rude to anyone else, and even then I don’t imagine an attacker will care for whether or not they have permission to attack their victims.

It wasn’t because people protested either that self-ID wasn’t brought in in the UK, it was simply determined that there were higher priorities for people who are transgender such as the waiting lists to be seen if they are depending upon the NHS, so the Government announced the opening of more clinics in order to allow for people who are transgender to receive a medical diagnosis in accordance with UK law.

(No point in me answering your goalpost-moving question because you've already dismissed any possible evidence in advance anyway)

I haven’t had the chance to dismiss any evidence, because you haven’t presented any! I asked was there a phenomenon of men pretending to be women to gain access to women’s single-sex spaces? I even gave you the opportunity to interpret the question as broadly as you needed to in order to present some evidence of the phenomenon which I admitted I was unaware of, but if you have evidence of the phenomenon, by all means like?
    More goalpost shifting here - clearly whatever point you were making was nonsense, so you're trying to shift to some other pointless comment.

It’s not goalpost shifting, you asked me about men, and it goes back to ODB’s point about women being unable to question anyone. I was making the point that the new law in Barcelona means that rather than ideas of women’s capacity to question anyone being reduced, it was rather the opposite - women would no longer face questioning or discrimination if they decided to go topless while using the public facilities.

The cohort of women in the UK protesting against self-ID by going topless were doing it for attention seeking reasons as opposed to any legitimate protest about gender equality. They wanted to draw attention to themselves and they were successful somewhat in that men approached them only to ask them were they aware they were in the wrong single-sex space. There was no drama or hysterics or anything else, and it appears to have been a generally good natured exchange, albeit at the expense of perpetuating prejudice and discrimination against people who are transgender.

• Advertisement

How am I wrong? They’re claiming that with Self-ID men would be able to infiltrate women’s single-sex spaces. It hasn’t happened, it isn’t happening, and that’s notwithstanding the fact that already in the UK people who are transgender are able to use whichever facilities they feel are more appropriate without having to produce a certificate to identify themselves as their preferred gender already, same as here in Ireland, same as they always were and will continue to do. ODB was making the point that self-ID makes it more difficult for women to ask questions. My point is that it doesn’t - women who choose to, can still be as rude as they wish to anyone else, and there are and always were consequences for that kind of behaviour. Women have never had a free pass to be rude to anyone else, and even then I don’t imagine an attacker will care for whether or not they have permission to attack their victims.

Maybe you don't understand what the word would means. :rolleyes:
    It wasn’t because people protested either that self-ID wasn’t brought in in the UK, it was simply determined that there were higher priorities for people who are transgender such as the waiting lists to be seen if they are depending upon the NHS, so the Government announced the opening of more clinics in order to allow for people who are transgender to receive a medical diagnosis in accordance with UK law.

I haven’t had the chance to dismiss any evidence, because you haven’t presented any! I asked was there a phenomenon of men pretending to be women to gain access to women’s single-sex spaces? I even gave you the opportunity to interpret the question as broadly as you needed to in order to present some evidence of the phenomenon which I admitted I was unaware of, but if you have evidence of the phenomenon, by all means like?

It’s not goalpost shifting, you asked me about men, and it goes back to ODB’s point about women being unable to question anyone. I was making the point that the new law in Barcelona means that rather than ideas of women’s capacity to question anyone being reduced, it was rather the opposite - women would no longer face questioning or discrimination if they decided to go topless while using the public facilities.

The cohort of women in the UK protesting against self-ID by going topless were doing it for attention seeking reasons as opposed to any legitimate protest about gender equality. They wanted to draw attention to themselves and they were successful somewhat in that men approached them only to ask them were they aware they were in the wrong single-sex space. There was no drama or hysterics or anything else, and it appears to have been a generally good natured exchange, albeit at the expense of perpetuating prejudice and discrimination against people who are transgender.
    No indeed I didn't. What'd be the point in me bothering to find examples of men spying on women in public toilets etc when you've already said it wouldn't prove there was a problem anyway?

FWIW they wouldn't have to "pretend" to be women, one of the examples which I haven't bothered linking to but you could find easily enough if you were actually interested in women's safety (I know you aren't) is of men filming female students in a "gender neutral" bathroom. It isn't just, or even mainly, about trans gender women being a threat to women, it's about the elimination of single sex spaces in general.

But then you think that women should just toughen up and play rugby with men so obviously you aren't going to see a problem with women not being able to have single sex spaces either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement