Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMessage failing to activate on Three.

Options
  • 16-11-2020 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just got a new iPhone.

Tried to set up iMessage and FaceTime but both are failing to activate.

It was initially just hanging on “waiting for activation...”. Now it immediately comes back with a pop saying “iMessage Activation. An error occurred during activation. Try again”. It constantly does this.

I’ve checked my usage and although on the first day it sent multiple texts to the 0044 number to activate, it hasn’t done so in the last few days.

I’m wondering whether Three have blocked this number for some reason?

I’m on 3 bill pay unlimited SIMO and have 60 international mins & texts.

I’ve done all the usual trouble shooting. And I’ve checked and I am able to send and receive normal sms messages.

I believe a good few people are in the same boat as myself.

Anyone else experiencing the same issues and more importantly has anyone found a way to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

The fact there’s multiple sms sent to 0044 suggests that there might be an issue there. Just 1 sms should do the job, the fact that’s it’s tried a number of times is a red flag. Perhaps your bundle doesn’t cover the UK sms, though it should. Even though you have 60 international texts, the 0044 might be a special number not covered, similar to the 51444 text numbers RTÉ etc use for comps. Can you top up with a fiver and see? I think that could be your solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nextgen2020

naasrd wrote: »
    The fact there’s multiple sms sent to 0044 suggests that there might be an issue there. Just 1 sms should do the job, the fact that’s it’s tried a number of times is a red flag. Perhaps your bundle doesn’t cover the UK sms, though it should. Even though you have 60 international texts, the 0044 might be a special number not covered, similar to the 51444 text numbers RTÉ etc use for comps. Can you top up with a fiver and see? I think that could be your solution.

I’m on bill pay, so there shouldn’t be an issue.

I’ve asked them if there is any block on international texts and they’ve said no.

I see people on 48 were having a similar issue.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My wife had very same issue over the weekend, three said it was nothing to do with them, Apple said it was nothing to do with them either. Got a replacement SIM card from three still no luck, ported her away from three on Sunday morning and iMessage activated immediately.

I also activated two numbers on 48 network for iMessage over the weekend and they activated within seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nextgen2020

Three sorted mine, but it appears a good few people still experiencing issues.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Three sorted mine, but it appears a good few people still experiencing issues.

You got lucky so, they washed their hands of the issue with us on Saturday, blamed Apple. My wife was on a sim only deal with only a month left of a tenner a month deal they gave her last year when GoMo launched so she had no problems moving away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve asked them if there is any block on international texts and they’ve said no.

The reason the people on 48 had the issue was that the 7.99,package doesn’t include uk SMS. They needed to top up by €1 and it sorted itself then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

You missed my point; this is not about International texts, it’s about the activation number. Just as you have free texts in your bundle here, it doesn’t mean you can text ANY number here free, try RTE’s 51444 for example. The UK number is not a regular number, you’re not just texting some bloke on his mobile in the UK, it’s a specific income generated short string number that requires to be paid for. On Eir for example it’s 25c.

Advertisement